The debate rages on: Is PL/I Bachtrian or Dromedary?

tech / sci.geo.satellite-nav / Re: Dual-frequency GNSS mouse on the market?

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Dual-frequency GNSS mouse on the market?Gavin Scott
`* Re: Dual-frequency GNSS mouse on the market?Alan Browne
 `* Re: Dual-frequency GNSS mouse on the market?ga...@learn.bio
  +- Re: Dual-frequency GNSS mouse on the market?Alan Browne
  `* Re: Dual-frequency GNSS mouse on the market?Reinhard Zwirner
   `- Re: Dual-frequency GNSS mouse on the market?Bernd Rose

1
Re: Dual-frequency GNSS mouse on the market?

<feabe59c-0b25-4fd5-ab97-9d3b5dab78b7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=88&group=sci.geo.satellite-nav#88

Newsgroups: sci.geo.satellite-nav
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2022 15:15:30 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Dual-frequency GNSS mouse on the market?
From: gavin@learn.bio (Gavin Scott)
 by: Gavin Scott - Tue, 7 Jun 2022 22:15 UTC

(Bleh, sorry about the previous content-free reply. Stupid Google Groups interface is stupid.)

I have a Garmin GPSMAP 65 handheld coming this week to play with which has L5 support and multi GNSS and will do a little write up after I have a chance to try it out.

G.

P.S. Hey dead USENET group, log time no post lol.

Re: Dual-frequency GNSS mouse on the market?

<iQqoK.217980$zgr9.144581@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=89&group=sci.geo.satellite-nav#89

Newsgroups: sci.geo.satellite-nav
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2022 14:18:54 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Thu, 9 Jun 2022 18:18 UTC

On 2022-06-07 18:15, Gavin Scott wrote:
> I have a Garmin GPSMAP 65 handheld coming this week to play with which has L5 support and multi GNSS and will do a little write up after I have a chance to try it out.

Looking at getting a uBlox NEO-M9M on a Sparkfun breakout board.

Tracks all 4 constellations concurrently with 92 channels (GPS, GLONASS,
Galileo, Beidou).

Does not do L-5.

SMA antenna connector. Battery backup (Ni-MH) for ephemeris/almanac.

USB-3 power (data too? Not sure).

25 Hz update rate.

This I'll integrate to a Raspberry 4B+ running an embedded runtime.

--
"Mr Speaker, I withdraw my statement that half the cabinet are asses -
half the cabinet are not asses."

Re: Dual-frequency GNSS mouse on the market?

<ea9bfae2-5df5-414d-a6d1-0df465354e2fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=90&group=sci.geo.satellite-nav#90

Newsgroups: sci.geo.satellite-nav
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2022 19:34:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: gavin@learn.bio (ga...@learn.bio)
 by: ga...@learn.bio - Sat, 11 Jun 2022 02:34 UTC

On Thursday, June 9, 2022 at 1:18:57 PM UTC-5, Alan Browne wrote:
> Looking at getting a uBlox NEO-M9M on a Sparkfun breakout board.

If you mean the NEO-M9N then I have one of those and it works great! Something that I didn't find clear from the product page at Sparkfun was whether or not it would talk data over the USB-C, but indeed it works fine with just the USB connection and talks to uCenter no problem. Very nice chip/module..

I've been playing with the Garmin GPSMAP 65 for a couple days now and it's working very well. Simultaneously tracks GPS and Galileo on both L1 and L5, and GLONASS on its usual single frequency. Pretty much stays locked on 6ft displayed accuracy and shows very little movement over the ground over time. Altitude still wanders +/- 20ft or so, but that seems so far to be better than my prior single-frequency GPS experience. I usually get 3-4 GPS L5 signals (which are oddly showing lower signal levels than the corresponding L1 signal much of the time, even though the L5 signal has a 3dB advantage) out of 8 or more GPS sats tracked, and usually all the Galileo sats are showing both E1 and E5a with good strength.

Apart from the new receiver, it's pretty much the bog-standard Garmin experience you would get from any halfway modern eTrex or similar GPSMAP model etc.

Re: Dual-frequency GNSS mouse on the market?

<6j2pK.108912$45E8.69869@fx47.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=91&group=sci.geo.satellite-nav#91

Newsgroups: sci.geo.satellite-nav
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2022 11:14:10 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Sat, 11 Jun 2022 15:14 UTC

On 2022-06-10 22:34, ga...@learn.bio wrote:
> On Thursday, June 9, 2022 at 1:18:57 PM UTC-5, Alan Browne wrote:
>> Looking at getting a uBlox NEO-M9M on a Sparkfun breakout board.
>
> If you mean the NEO-M9N

Yes. Shoot me!

> then I have one of those and it works great! Something that I didn't find clear from the product page at Sparkfun was whether or not
> it would talk data over the USB-C, but indeed it works fine with just the USB connection and talks to uCenter no problem. Very nice
> chip/module.

I'll be using the TX/RX lines. (My code is all written and tested -
will only need to set the higher update rate and add in the extra
constellations.)

> I've been playing with the Garmin GPSMAP 65 for a couple days now and it's working very well. Simultaneously tracks GPS and Galileo on both L1 and L5, and GLONASS on its usual single frequency. Pretty much stays locked on 6ft displayed accuracy and shows very little movement over the ground over time. Altitude still wanders +/- 20ft or so, but that seems so far to be better than my prior single-frequency GPS experience. I usually get 3-4 GPS L5 signals (which are oddly showing lower signal levels than the corresponding L1 signal much of the time, even though the L5 signal has a 3dB advantage) out of 8 or more GPS sats tracked, and usually all the Galileo sats are showing both E1 and E5a with good strength.
>
> Apart from the new receiver, it's pretty much the bog-standard Garmin experience you would get from any halfway modern eTrex or similar GPSMAP model etc.

Yeah. Not a fan, alas. I've had and sold at least 2 Garmin map display
receivers personally and I bought a couple eTrex Legends for work at
some point back in the early oughts.

The 65 is a bit pricey too - and sort of locked into their "eco sphere".

Sparkfun do offer various ZED-x9x boards - maybe I should go that way.
I'll have to DL the interface manual to see what I'd be getting into -
but it looks pretty good - if pricey (US$275 ... $300 / board).
.... after a superficial glance, none of ZED boards from Sparkfun have
L5... need to dig a little more.

--
"Mr Speaker, I withdraw my statement that half the cabinet are asses -
half the cabinet are not asses."
-Benjamin Disraeli

Re: Dual-frequency GNSS mouse on the market?

<jgmcb4FjmpU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=92&group=sci.geo.satellite-nav#92

From: reinhard.zwirner@t-online.de (Reinhard Zwirner)
Newsgroups: sci.geo.satellite-nav
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 16:42:45 +0200
 by: Reinhard Zwirner - Sun, 12 Jun 2022 14:42 UTC

ga...@learn.bio schrieb:
> On Thursday, June 9, 2022 at 1:18:57 PM UTC-5, Alan Browne wrote:
>> Looking at getting a uBlox NEO-M9M on a Sparkfun breakout board.
>
> If you mean the NEO-M9N then I have one of those and it works great! Something that I didn't find clear from the product page at Sparkfun was whether or not it would talk data over the USB-C, but indeed it works fine with just the USB connection and talks to uCenter no problem. ...

I own

this <https://www.u-blox.com/en/product/c099-f9p-application-board>

board. (Unfortunately I had to wait nearly half a year for it instead
of the announced eight weeks :-( ...).

It works great though I cannot use it for the intended purpose of
postprocessing yet. Here in Lower Saxony, a northern state of
Germany, SAPOS data are provided for free but the data to be
corrected must be referenced to ETRS89 datum. Unfortunately, I have
not found a way to set this via the u-center, not even in the
settings area provided for the F9P boards.

Additionally, I am still searching a way to transform ubx data into
the RINEX format which is also needed for postprocessing <sigh> ...

As the saying goes: hope dies last!

Bye,

Reinhard

Re: Dual-frequency GNSS mouse on the market?

<1x4u88umg840h.dlg@b.rose.tmpbox.news.arcor.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=94&group=sci.geo.satellite-nav#94

From: b.rose.tmpbox@arcor.de (Bernd Rose)
Newsgroups: sci.geo.satellite-nav
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 18:07:13 +0200
 by: Bernd Rose - Sun, 12 Jun 2022 16:07 UTC

On Sun, 12th Jun 2022 16:42:45 +0200, Reinhard Zwirner wrote:

> Here in Lower Saxony, a northern state of Germany, SAPOS data are provided
> for free but the data to be corrected must be referenced to ETRS89 datum.

SAPOS (both RTCM 2.x and 3.x NTRIP) correction strings reference WGS84.
Therefore, no transformation is necessary.

> Additionally, I am still searching a way to transform ubx data into
> the RINEX format which is also needed for postprocessing <sigh> ...

Have a look at Teqc:

https://www.unavco.org/software/data-processing/teqc/teqc.html

HTH.
Bernd

tech / sci.geo.satellite-nav / Re: Dual-frequency GNSS mouse on the market?