From: anonymous@rocksolidbbs.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.general
Subject: Tildeverse
Date: Fri, 26 May 2023 15:58:03 -0500
logging-data="2934769"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@mixmin.net"
 by: Anonymous - Fri, 26 May 2023 20:58 UTC

I was wondering if anyone here knows anything about the Tildeverse.

Has anyone tried any of their services?

What kind of people are running the Tildeverse sites?

Are they legit?

Are they open / closed / tribal minded?

What is the Tildeverse culture like?

How does Tildeverse compare to the Rocksolid community?

Re: Tildeverse

<ad6efe8fe911018ecb55aaf805f3707d@rocksolidbbs.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=751&group=rocksolid.shared.general#751

From: Anonymous@rocksolidbbs.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.general
Subject: Re: Tildeverse
Date: Fri, 26 May 2023 23:12:10 +0000
 by: Anonymous - Fri, 26 May 2023 23:12 UTC

Anonymous wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone here knows anything about the Tildeverse.

> Has anyone tried any of their services?

> What kind of people are running the Tildeverse sites?

> Are they legit?

> Are they open / closed / tribal minded?

> What is the Tildeverse culture like?

> How does Tildeverse compare to the Rocksolid community?

sybershock hosts some tilde groups here https://sybershock.com/forum/tilde/?

Other than that I don't know much about it.

--
Posted on RetroBBS

Re: Tildeverse

<54b173d61a5e1eb25706eebb8d75e5e0$1@sybershock.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=752&group=rocksolid.shared.general#752

From: admin@sybershock.com (Syber Shock)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.general,comp.infosystems.gemini
Date: Sun, 28 May 2023 11:07:33 -0500
logging-data="53174"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org";
posting-account="TzG3Hl99Aa0Fgb506WreKRgRTO2mG9+aGjVDifyfNqo";
 by: Syber Shock - Sun, 28 May 2023 16:07 UTC

On Fri, 26 May 2023 23:12:10 +0000
Anonymous@rocksolidbbs.com (Anonymous) wrote:

> Anonymous wrote:
>
> > I was wondering if anyone here knows anything about the Tildeverse.

Perhaps comp.infosystems.gemini readers would know more.

> > Has anyone tried any of their services?

They have a public NNTP server that allows reader access.
Authentication is required to post. I run a suck feed of their NNTP
groups off their open NNTP service. I don't post there, since I have
signed up for an account but I haven't gotten a response yet.

A mastodon instance for the Tildeverse lives here:

https://tilde.zone

> > What kind of people are running the Tildeverse sites?

Probably text geeks, such as some of us.
> > Are they legit?

Not illegal, if that's what 'legit' means.
> > Are they open / closed / tribal minded?

I don't see enough activity to deduce any common mentality. It seems
they are basically computer hobbyists having fun.
> > What is the Tildeverse culture like?

Quiet, mostly.
> > How does Tildeverse compare to the Rocksolid community?

Flame war bait. ;)
> sybershock hosts some tilde groups here
> https://sybershock.com/forum/tilde/?

You may also view the news feed via gopher:

gopher://sybershock.com/1/tilde/

You may use lynx to view gopher sites:

$ sudo apt-get install lynx

Then from the command line type:

$ lynx gopher://sybershock.com/1/tilde/
> Other than that I don't know much about it.

Tildeverse appears to be a low-traffic operation. I pull down and
maintain a archive of their local NNTP feed and when I check it not
much is happening. I also serve the feed via gopher.

Note to everyone: if you know of any other obscure, publicly-accessible
NNTP servers please inform me so I can mirror them. I also encourage
other people to run mirror archives of NNTP feeds since they can
disappear quickly as did AIOE.

I suspect there are some youngsters who signed up to play with
the command line and got bored with it. They have a 'smol net' mystique
and they promote plain text such as gopher, gemini, and spartan.

It appears someone from their community got the Big8 to create the
newsgroup comp.infosystems.gemini. I am going to cross-post this
message to that group so hopefully someone with more knowledge of
Tildeverse might see it and respond.

It seems like they can be inactive for long periods, which
I don't consider a bad thing. Less noise usually translates to more
worth thinking about when someone does chime in.

I don't know anything about the admins. So I can't opine on that. As
for the culture I can't really say since not a lot happens in the news
feed. As for them being 'legit' I don't see how they wouldn't be. It's
not like a darknet honeypot would be running there. What they offer is
really transparent and as advertised.

--

SugarBug | https://sybershock.com