From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Subject: Testing mod on news.novabbs.org (rslight.i2p)
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2023 16:31:42 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Mon, 21 Aug 2023 16:31 UTC

I'm currently testing a mod for saving threads on news.novabbs.org.

This was already being done by newsportal, but I've updated how it works. The data is not different, it's just how it's stored and updated that has changed. This would cause a large group to start threading over again, which would make recent articles unavailable for a while.

Newsportal has always had an issue where while threads were being updated it is possible to mess it up by importing or posting an article to the group at the same time. A long while ago I added file locking to try to resolve it, but I still was not happy with it. I am now saving to a database instead of a flat file (that used to be deleted every time before update, which was the issue).

I hope that this change will finally resolve this issue, but I want to test it for a while before considering it a true fix.

One nice thing is that the database allows other, future data to be saved as may be desired in future, yet unknown mods. So far it seems fine on my test site, but it will continue to run for a while.

As I'm now digging deeper into actual newsportal code, I have to resist the urge to just completely rewrite stuff as I come across it. I'm trying to be careful and slow with it.

An extra note: I found that the old Newsportal site, which contains some pretty good documentation for newsportal has an expired SSL certificate. Since this causes some concern that the site may no longer be being administered, I have copied a full clone of the site locally. If the original site goes away, I now have a full copy and can put it online if necessary.

--
Retro Guy

Re: Testing mod on news.novabbs.org (rslight.i2p)

<f8a21cbe0c9fa33e4e8d87d0cd087f70@rocksolidbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=458&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#458

From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Subject: Re: Testing mod on news.novabbs.org (rslight.i2p)
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 18:27:01 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Sun, 27 Aug 2023 18:27 UTC

Retro Guy wrote:

> I'm currently testing a mod for saving threads on news.novabbs.org.

> This was already being done by newsportal, but I've updated how it works. The data is not different, it's just how it's stored and updated that has changed. This would cause a large group to start threading over again, which would make recent articles unavailable for a while.

> Newsportal has always had an issue where while threads were being updated it is possible to mess it up by importing or posting an article to the group at the same time. A long while ago I added file locking to try to resolve it, but I still was not happy with it. I am now saving to a database instead of a flat file (that used to be deleted every time before update, which was the issue).

> I hope that this change will finally resolve this issue, but I want to test it for a while before considering it a true fix.

This is complete, and active on all my sites. Once the threads are recalculated (automatic), the speed is quite good.

Also, made a speed improvement to the main page (display of groups).

--
Retro Guy