Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 08:11:09 +0000
Subject: BBC News
From: usenet@novabbs.org (rslight rss feeds)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.news
 by: rslight rss feeds - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 08:11 UTC

Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services within five years
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68889345
April 25, 2024, 6:54 AM
The government says the plans are "pointless" and "unfunded" but Labour says it will improve services.
--------------------
Cavalry horses in serious condition after bolting
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-68895233
April 25, 2024, 8:01 AM
The horses were spooked by a loud noise in Belgravia and two ran as far as Limehouse, east London.
--------------------
One-word Ofsted grades should stay, says government
https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c2lezd59e9lo
April 24, 2024, 11:03 PM
The government says the judgements are useful for parents, after MPs called for them to be scrapped.
--------------------
US secretly gives Ukraine long-range missiles
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-68893196
April 24, 2024, 11:02 PM
Missiles delivered this month have been used to strike Russian targets in Crimea, US media say.
--------------------
BBC Proms to feature Florence + The Machine and Sam Smith
https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c99z19ygvy5o
April 24, 2024, 11:59 PM
Full details of the 2024 season have been announced, with one of the most diverse line-ups in years.
--------------------
Girl arrested after teachers and pupil injured in school stabbing
https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/ce43yxpyll0o
April 25, 2024, 1:47 AM
A teenage girl has been arrested after two teachers and a pupil were stabbed in Ammanford, south-west Wales.
--------------------
Searching for missing loved ones in Gaza’s mass graves
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-68891216
April 24, 2024, 7:36 PM
In this war, it is a huge challenge to find out how people whose bodies were exhumed at Nasser hospital died.
--------------------
Sainsbury's boosted by strong food sales
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68895280
April 25, 2024, 8:06 AM
The UK's second largest supermarket has spent heavily to keep prices low but clothing sales fell.
--------------------
Arizona indicts Trump allies over fake elector scheme
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-68893365
April 25, 2024, 2:24 AM
Former Trump advisers Rudy Giuliani and Mark Meadows are among those charged, court documents show.
--------------------
England tops chart for child alcohol use - report
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-68884005
April 25, 2024, 12:22 AM
The World Health Organization also finds higher rates of drinking and vaping among teenage girls.
--------------------
Spain's PM halts public duties as wife faces inquiry
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-68887669
April 24, 2024, 7:32 PM
Pedro Sánchez says he will "stop and reflect" on whether to remain in the job.
--------------------
LGBT veterans memorial: ‘We're not a dirty secret’
https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/ck7l3kmnnmjo
April 24, 2024, 11:52 PM
The memorial will end decades of feeling “swept under the rug", campaigners say.
--------------------
The options facing US Supreme Court on Trump immunity
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-68893364
April 25, 2024, 7:29 AM
The top court will hear arguments on Thursday in a case that could redefine presidential power.
--------------------
'I get overwhelmed by the noises and crowds of school'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68831018
April 24, 2024, 5:03 PM
Newman College in Oldham is one of many schools struggling with the legacy of the pandemic.
--------------------
Rachel Chinouriri: England's my home, even if I've felt unwelcome
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-68848509
April 25, 2024, 7:40 AM
Rachel Chinouriri says she wants to reclaim the England flag, which features on her album artwork.
--------------------
The Italian film which beat Barbie at the box office
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-68881292
April 25, 2024, 12:05 AM
Director Paola Cortellesi on the cry for change in Italy's chart-topping There's Still Tomorrow.
--------------------
Russia or EU? Controversial bill draws Georgians onto streets
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-68881833
April 25, 2024, 12:40 AM
Thousands of Georgians have been protesting against a new bill that they claim will crush dissent.
--------------------
Blinken tackles a tough China visit. Will it help?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-68894782
April 25, 2024, 4:36 AM
Blinken's trip is a sign of improved US-China ties, but it's a relationship that still crackles with tension.
--------------------
Batting blitz turning Indian Premier League cricket into baseball
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-68872429
April 24, 2024, 9:58 PM
Indian Premier League batters are fearlessly unleashing big shots, every match a six-hitting spectacle.
--------------------
Mr Bates vs Post Office drama lost £1m, ITV boss says
https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c84z0lk0019o
April 24, 2024, 3:51 PM
The agenda-setting drama made a loss despite being the UK's most-watched TV show of the year so far.
--------------------
'Business as usual' for Channel crossings despite migrant deaths
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-68891950
April 24, 2024, 6:02 PM
Prospective migrants trying to reach the UK from France say smuggling operations are continuing after Tuesday's tragedy.
--------------------
Hunt defends job cuts to increase defence spending
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68893859
April 24, 2024, 9:00 PM
The chancellor says cutting services will cost "a great deal less" than allowing Russia to succeed in Ukraine.
--------------------
US TikTok ban would be 'devastating', UK firms warn
https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c3gl5qly48qo
April 24, 2024, 11:05 PM
UK businesses using TikTok say they could see a significant drop in sales if the app is banned in the US.
--------------------
Mining giant BHP proposes buyout of Anglo American
https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/czrxm4pljlwo
April 25, 2024, 5:43 AM
The UK-based mining giant Anglo American says it has received a takeover proposal from Australia's BHP.
--------------------
How fraudsters are getting fake articles onto Facebook
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68843985
April 24, 2024, 11:08 PM
Scammers are able to get past automated checks on the social media giant to try to defraud users.
--------------------
BBC Verify examines reported strikes on Russian oil depots
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-68893589
April 24, 2024, 6:09 PM
The reported strikes have been geolocated to the Smolensk region of western Russia.
--------------------
'Everton apply final blow to Liverpool title challenge'
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/articles/c6pywzp3720o
April 24, 2024, 12:00 AM
Everton ended a cycle of icy misery by applying the final blow to Liverpool's Premier League title hopes, writes Phil McNulty.
--------------------
‘If pressure is a privilege, England are about to feel very lucky’
https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/articles/cg3lq5148pgo
April 25, 2024, 5:21 AM
England have big decisions to make as they prepare to name their squad for the T20 World Cup, says Stephan Shemilt.
--------------------
Van Dijk questions desire of team-mates after loss
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/articles/c19dzjkyn3po
April 24, 2024, 12:00 AM
Liverpool captain Virgil van Dijk questions his side's desire to win the Premier League after a damaging defeat against Merseyside rivals Everton.
--------------------
Man Utd fight back twice to beat Sheff Utd late on
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68519745
April 24, 2024, 10:31 PM
Manchester United have to come from behind twice to beat bottom-of-the-table Sheffield United at Old Trafford.
--------------------
Raducanu 'exhausted' after Madrid Open first-round exit
https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/articles/c19dz7g7np8o
April 24, 2024, 12:00 AM
British pair Emma Raducanu and Harriet Dart lose in straight sets in the first round of the Madrid Open.
--------------------
Download now
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10628994
June 13, 2023, 10:25 AM
Top stories, breaking news, live reporting, and follow news topics that match your interests
--------------------
Newscast
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0hsx6jc
April 24, 2024, 6:33 PM
Biden signs bill into law that could block TikTok in the States
--------------------
Rare Dumbo octopus captured on camera
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0gqfmw9
November 16, 2023, 6:00 AM
A rare Dumbo octopus is spotted deep in the Pacific Ocean.
--------------------
Who gets 15 hours of free childcare and how do I apply?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-62036045
April 24, 2024, 12:15 AM
Parents in England can now access 15 hours of free weekly childcare for their two-year-olds.
--------------------
How much is the state pension worth now?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53082530
April 8, 2024, 4:36 PM
Payments to pensioners have risen by 8.5% following the government's "triple lock" pledge.
--------------------
What to do if you are in debt and need help
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64291327
April 3, 2024, 10:30 AM
What help and options are available to people struggling with debt repayments?
--------------------
Can my landlord put up my rent, keep my deposit or evict me?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-65038459
March 25, 2024, 12:07 PM
UK renters have seen increases of 10% and two million are behind or struggling to pay.
--------------------
How much are prices rising for you? Try our calculator
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62558817
April 17, 2024, 6:38 AM
Use our calculator to find out how much the cost of living is going up in your household.
--------------------
How do interest rates affect me?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57764601
April 17, 2024, 10:04 AM
Bank of England interest rates have an impact on the mortgage, loan and savings rates for millions of people.
--------------------
Cavalry horses in serious condition after bolting
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-68895233
April 25, 2024, 8:01 AM
The horses were spooked by a loud noise in Belgravia and two ran as far as Limehouse, east London.
--------------------
'Why should my autistic son face a bleak future?'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-68892368
April 25, 2024, 7:02 AM
Caleb White is among many who have limited job and college options when they leave school.
Head praises school's response to triple stabbing
https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cl7ljjyr1v4o
April 25, 2024, 6:44 AM
A teenage girl remains in custody after being arrested on suspicion of attempted murder.

Click here to read the complete article