You know you've landed gear-up when it takes full power to taxi.

computers / news.admin.peering / Re: Young people peering

SubjectAuthor
* Young people peeringThe Doctor
+- Re: Young people peeringMarco Moock
+* Re: Young people peeringRetro Guy
|+* Re: Young people peeringGrant Taylor
||`- Re: Young people peeringrek2 hispagatos
|`- Re: Young people peeringSugarBug
+* Re: Young people peeringStefan Ram
|+* Re: Young people peeringD
||`- Re: Young people peeringrek2 hispagatos
|+* Re: Young people peeringcandycanearter07
||+- Re: Young people peeringThe Doctor
||`- Re: Young people peeringD
|`* Re: Young people peeringimmibis
| `- Re: Young people peeringKyonshi
+* Re: Young people peeringNiklas H
|+- Re: Young people peeringSugarBug
|`- Re: Young people peeringThe Doctor
+* Re: Young people peeringJohn Levine
|`- Re: Young people peeringDavid Ritz
+* Re: Young people peeringKyonshi
|+* Re: Young people peeringThe Doctor
||+* Re: Young people peeringRetro Guy
|||+* Re: Young people peeringKyonshi
|||+- Re: Young people peeringD
|||`* Re: Young people peeringcandycanearter07
||| `* Re: Young people peeringRetro Guy
|||  +* Re: Young people peeringcandycanearter07
|||  |`* Re: Young people peeringRetro Guy
|||  | +- Re: Young people peeringcandycanearter07
|||  | `* Re: Young people peeringGrant Taylor
|||  |  +* Re: Young people peeringRuss Allbery
|||  |  |`* Re: Young people peeringSugarBug
|||  |  | `- Re: Young people peeringRuss Allbery
|||  |  `* Re: Young people peeringMarco Moock
|||  |   `- Re: Young people peeringGrant Taylor
|||  `- Re: Young people peeringD
||`- Re: Young people peeringKyonshi
|`* Re: Young people peeringStefan Ram
| `* Re: Young people peeringKerr-Mudd, John
|  `* Re: Young people peeringComputer Nerd Kev
|   `- Re: Young people peeringSn!pe
`* Re: Young people peeringThe Bjornsdottirs - Lightning
 `* Re: Young people peeringGrant Taylor
  `* Re: Young people peeringRetro Guy
   +* Re: Young people peeringTed Heise
   |+- Re: Young people peeringD
   |`- Re: Young people peeringRoss Finlayson
   `- Re: Young people peeringcandycanearter07

Pages:123
Re: Young people peering

<c433b7d454b6df388df6d6028084ac9b@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2630&group=news.admin.peering#2630

Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 15:35:54 +0000
Subject: Re: Young people peering
From: retroguy@novabbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering,news.software.nntp
 by: Retro Guy - Fri, 19 Apr 2024 15:35 UTC

Grant Taylor wrote:

> On 4/19/24 09:56, The Bjornsdottirs - Lightning wrote:
>> I'm 24 and I've rattled the idea around my head a couple times. Each
>> time, I am demotivated by the kind of person I come across,

> ProTip: Aspire to more. You will fail. But failure part of the
> learning process.

> Even if you fail when aspiring to mire, you will quite likely be in a
> better position than you were before you tried.

> I think I'm qualified to say Pro because I've been paid for the last 20
> years for 10:aspiring, 20:failing, 30:goto 10.

I agree. Fear of failure will just keep a person from accomplishing much of anything.

It's good to realize that people who end up producing something awesome didn't just get it done on the first try, they tried, and tried again with persistence.

--
Retro Guy

Re: Young people peering

<slrnv25jh6.4se.theise@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2631&group=news.admin.peering#2631

From: theise@panix.com (Ted Heise)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering,news.software.nntp
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 20:03:50 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ted Heise - Fri, 19 Apr 2024 20:03 UTC

On Fri, 19 Apr 2024 15:35:54 +0000,
Retro Guy <retroguy@novabbs.com> wrote:
> Grant Taylor wrote:
> > On 4/19/24 09:56, The Bjornsdottirs - Lightning wrote:
> >> I'm 24 and I've rattled the idea around my head a couple
> >> times. Each time, I am demotivated by the kind of person I
> >> come across,
>
> > ProTip: Aspire to more. You will fail. But failure part of
> > the learning process.
>
> > Even if you fail when aspiring to mire, you will quite likely
> > be in a better position than you were before you tried.
>
> > I think I'm qualified to say Pro because I've been paid for
> > the last 20 years for 10:aspiring, 20:failing, 30:goto 10.
>
> I agree. Fear of failure will just keep a person from
> accomplishing much of anything.
>
> It's good to realize that people who end up producing something
> awesome didn't just get it done on the first try, they tried,
> and tried again with persistence.

You responders are of course correct about the benefits of not
letting fear stop action, but I read the OP more as a matter of
asking why make the effort when it just increases contact with
unwanted folks (and behaviors). Maybe I misread.

--
Ted Heise <theise@panix.com> West Lafayette, IN, USA

Re: Young people peering

<a4c9274c6a94937b50bf6fcce17e230b@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2632&group=news.admin.peering#2632

From: J@M (D)
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 23:09:30 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
 by: D - Fri, 19 Apr 2024 21:09 UTC

On Fri, 19 Apr 2024 20:03:50 -0000 (UTC), Ted Heise <theise@panix.com> wrote:
>On Fri, 19 Apr 2024 15:35:54 +0000,
> Retro Guy <retroguy@novabbs.com> wrote:
>> Grant Taylor wrote:
>>
>> > ProTip: Aspire to more. You will fail. But failure part of
>> > the learning process.
>> > Even if you fail when aspiring to mire, you will quite likely
>> > be in a better position than you were before you tried.
>> > I think I'm qualified to say Pro because I've been paid for
>> > the last 20 years for 10:aspiring, 20:failing, 30:goto 10.
>>
>> I agree. Fear of failure will just keep a person from
>> accomplishing much of anything.
>> It's good to realize that people who end up producing something
>> awesome didn't just get it done on the first try, they tried,
>> and tried again with persistence.
>
>You responders are of course correct about the benefits of not
>letting fear stop action, but I read the OP more as a matter of
>asking why make the effort when it just increases contact with
>unwanted folks (and behaviors). Maybe I misread.

not sure, but the op's inquiry:

>From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
>Newsgroups: news.admin.peering,news.software.nntp
>Subject: Young people peering
>Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 12:11:22 -0000 (UTC)
>
>What happened to the young people who wanted to set up a Usenet node?

might've been alluding to this:

>From: Elia <me@elia.li>
>Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
>Subject: Looking for peering
>Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2023 21:14:14 +0100
>
>Hello,
>I am currently trying to start a inn2 news server for a school project,
>and I'm looking for peers to start. I currently do not have any peers as
>i just started. Cleanfeed is obviously used, static IP too.
>Contact me directly if you are willing to peer.
>Thank you,
>Elia

Re: Young people peering

<uvvcrs$3euft$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2633&group=news.admin.peering#2633

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering,news.software.nntp
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 03:30:04 -0000 (UTC)
b+ V4R8q|QiU/R8\|G\WpC`-s?=)\fbtNc&=/a3a)r7xbRI]Vl)r<%PTriJ3pGpl_/B6!8pe\btzx
`~R! r3.0#lHRE+^Gro0[cjsban'vZ#j7,?I/tHk{s=TFJ:H?~=]`O*~3ZX`qik`b:.gVIc-[$t/e
ZrQsWJ >|l^I_[pbsIqwoz.WGA]<D
 by: candycanearter07 - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 03:30 UTC

Retro Guy <retroguy@novabbs.com> wrote at 15:35 this Friday (GMT):
> Grant Taylor wrote:
>
>> On 4/19/24 09:56, The Bjornsdottirs - Lightning wrote:
>>> I'm 24 and I've rattled the idea around my head a couple times. Each
>>> time, I am demotivated by the kind of person I come across,
>
>> ProTip: Aspire to more. You will fail. But failure part of the
>> learning process.
>
>> Even if you fail when aspiring to mire, you will quite likely be in a
>> better position than you were before you tried.
>
>> I think I'm qualified to say Pro because I've been paid for the last 20
>> years for 10:aspiring, 20:failing, 30:goto 10.
>
> I agree. Fear of failure will just keep a person from accomplishing much of anything.
>
> It's good to realize that people who end up producing something awesome didn't just get it done on the first try, they tried, and tried again with persistence.

Agreed, it really sucks to be too afraid to start.
--

Re: Young people peering

<QimdncEhz8Awqb77nZ2dnZfqnPidnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2634&group=news.admin.peering#2634

Newsgroups: news.admin.peering,news.software.nntp
From: ross.a.finlayson@gmail.com (Ross Finlayson)
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 20:22:09 -0700
 by: Ross Finlayson - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 03:22 UTC

On 04/19/2024 01:03 PM, Ted Heise wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Apr 2024 15:35:54 +0000,
> Retro Guy <retroguy@novabbs.com> wrote:
>> Grant Taylor wrote:
>>
>>> ProTip: Aspire to more. You will fail. But failure part of
>>> the learning process.
>>
>>> Even if you fail when aspiring to mire, you will quite likely
>>> be in a better position than you were before you tried.
>>
>>> I think I'm qualified to say Pro because I've been paid for
>>> the last 20 years for 10:aspiring, 20:failing, 30:goto 10.
>>
>> I agree. Fear of failure will just keep a person from
>> accomplishing much of anything.
>>
>> It's good to realize that people who end up producing something
>> awesome didn't just get it done on the first try, they tried,
>> and tried again with persistence.
>
> You responders are of course correct about the benefits of not
> letting fear stop action, but I read the OP more as a matter of
> asking why make the effort when it just increases contact with
> unwanted folks (and behaviors). Maybe I misread.

These days standing up Internet services involves basically
putting up a fire-wall and putting up a spam-wall.

Usenet at least is just a protocol and doesn't share all
your habits necessarily with all the gruesome "shadows"
and "ad mods" or whatever else the "moderators" are doing
these days with very brown, very blue noses.

Of course it's an Internet protocol and whatever goes over
the Ethernet packetry more or less goes through an Internet
Service Provider, more or less, or more, or less.

If you leave out alt.binaries, Usenet can be a pretty great
place. There really is a sort of anti-spam approach in effect.
It really does sort of adhere to the spirit of the charters,
of the Usenet groups. The netiquette is encouraged.

So, how to put up a spam-wall, basically I've been thinking
about this as a "NOOBNB" approach. What this is is that
there are three kinds of posters, New, Old, and Off, and
three kinds of non-posters, Bots, Non, and Bad. The idea
is that any kind of determination of this fundamentally
has to be entirely open and same for all, i.e., not in
the hands of shady, duplicitous individuals lurking on
their little click-farm feeds.

So, the NOOBNB approach, basically makes for editions
of the feed, sort of Cur, Raw, and Pur, where, Cur
is Curated and only New/Old/Off, i.e. it's curated ham
not spam and it's the feed, then Pur, is purgatory,
where New posters are born as Non posters, then about
how to make it so that Non posters result New posters.

Then Bad posters don't get into Cur, and how to make
it so that if a poster turns Bad (and not just Off)
is similar as to how Non becomes New. Then Bot,
is just sort of the other category that's in Raw
but not in Cur. The idea is that any posts whatsoever,
that get past a sort of spam-wall black-hole,
arrive in Raw, and if they're new, which is determined
by them not existing in the list of existing posters
to anywhere in Usenet, then they arrive also in Pur
as Non. The idea is to actually sort of prevent
nym-shifting and email-faking then how to figure out
how to make it so that posters arrive from Non to
New. It's sort of figured that the Usenet peer,
or here that the idea is that NOOBNB makes for
Usenet "compeers", basically makes some hoops like
2FA and "reading the charter" and "agreeing to the
charter", to promote from Non to New. Then New,
after they post a few times, graduate to Old, then
Off, is basically for off-topic posters, about
whether Old and Off vacillate, and just to make
it so that they're all in the Cur curated feed,
yet, there's basically an attribute to filter
off all the Off.

So, that's sort of the idea, to setup an Internet
service that is behind a firewall sort of courtesy
that the host on the Ethernet is behind a firewall
and otherwise subject its exposure on the Internet,
then that the spam-wall basically figures that
the same sort of posts as arrive as spam would
arrive as spam emails, then that the proof-of-effort
and voucher-of-conduct sort of thing prevents most
of the Usenet compeers employing a NOOBNB approach,
from flooding their compeers with spam.

I.e., the idea is to use the existing protocol,
and a sort of modern approach in front of it,
to make it much simplified and uncomplicated,
to stand up Internet services and here Usenet compeers,
then as with regards to compeering and groups,
then as with regards to making whatever format
of the Internet messages go in the groups,
like MIME and HTML email, and whatever front-end
makes for interacting with what's behind the
protocol, like IMAP for MIME and HTML email,
or a web frontend in HTTP and HTML.

I've been tapping away on this for a while on
a thread on sci.math called "Meta: a usenet
server just for sci.math", which describes
sort of the technical part of implementing
an Internet service with NNTP or other text-based
Internet protocols, then the considerations with
regards to "NOOBNB: a compeering system",
then here also recently about "AAAATU: archive
any and all text usenet".

Re: Young people peering

<v1buk6$2scla$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2689&group=news.admin.peering#2689

From: news@immibis.com (immibis)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering,news.software.nntp
Date: Tue, 7 May 2024 03:03:02 +0200
 by: immibis - Tue, 7 May 2024 01:03 UTC

On 14/04/24 19:55, Stefan Ram wrote:
> doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor) wrote or quoted:
>> What happened to the young people who wanted to set up a Usenet node?
>
> Bruh, Usenet? Seriously? I thought that shit died out in the 90s,
> like, who even uses that anymore? I mean, come on, it's 2024 -
> we got way better ways to get our info and connect with people
> these days. Why would I even bother setting up some old-school
> Usenet server when I got Reddit, Discord, and all these other
> modern platforms that are way more user-friendly and relevant?
>
> Like, Usenet was cool back in the day, I guess, but it's just so
> outdated now. The interface is clunky, the communities are tiny,
> and good luck finding anything useful that isn't buried in a
> million random posts. Nah, I'm good - I'll stick to the apps and
> sites I already use, where I can actually find the content and
> communities I care about. Usenet? That's some boomer shit, man.

Where are these magic apps full of worthwhile non-spam content?

Re: Young people peering

<v1cmaq$34p5q$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2690&group=news.admin.peering#2690

From: gmkeros@gmail.com (Kyonshi)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering,news.software.nntp
Date: Tue, 7 May 2024 09:28:28 +0200
 by: Kyonshi - Tue, 7 May 2024 07:28 UTC

On 5/7/2024 3:03 AM, immibis wrote:
> On 14/04/24 19:55, Stefan Ram wrote:
>> doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor) wrote or quoted:
>>> What happened to the young people who wanted to set up a Usenet node?
>>
>>    Bruh, Usenet? Seriously? I thought that shit died out in the 90s,
>>    like, who even uses that anymore? I mean, come on, it's 2024 -
>>    we got way better ways to get our info and connect with people
>>    these days. Why would I even bother setting up some old-school
>>    Usenet server when I got Reddit, Discord, and all these other
>>    modern platforms that are way more user-friendly and relevant?
>>
>>    Like, Usenet was cool back in the day, I guess, but it's just so
>>    outdated now. The interface is clunky, the communities are tiny,
>>    and good luck finding anything useful that isn't buried in a
>>    million random posts. Nah, I'm good - I'll stick to the apps and
>>    sites I already use, where I can actually find the content and
>>    communities I care about. Usenet? That's some boomer shit, man.
>
> Where are these magic apps full of worthwhile non-spam content?

uhm... I know for a fact you also are on mastodon because I follow you
there. That one has quite a lot of worthwhile content and no ads to
speak off.