From: radioactiveseattle@hotmail.com (bryan_styble)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Subject: NOT DEAD: Voyager 1 stirs back to life!
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 21:24:54 +0000
 by: bryan_styble - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 21:24 UTC

For the first time in many months, mankind's most distant probe is again communicating with Earth.

Thank Zeus! (And, not at all incidentally, those remarkably resourceful NASA engineers.)

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
==================
https://www.yahoo.com/tech/voyager-1-sending-data-back-231356636.html

Re: NOT DEAD: Voyager 1 stirs back to life!

<ca79ae54563cc9698b503aed6107be64@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=22494&group=alt.obituaries#22494

From: mjsmagic@aol.com (MJ)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Subject: Re: NOT DEAD: Voyager 1 stirs back to life!
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 23:51:39 +0000
 by: MJ - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 23:51 UTC

Of course, it needs to leave us at some point so that it can come aboard the starship Enterprise sometime in the 2270s.

Re: NOT DEAD: Voyager 1 stirs back to life!

<6bdbb2b3e133319b1264194c566e98c4@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=22495&group=alt.obituaries#22495

From: radioactiveseattle@hotmail.com (bryan_styble)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 02:06:14 +0000
 by: bryan_styble - Wed, 24 Apr 2024 02:06 UTC

For those--including little ol' inconsequentai me--who tend to imagine the engineers who do all the heavy intellectual lifting at NASA and the Jet Propulsion Laboratory are pretty much white guys:

The CBS Evening News [this date without Norah O'Donnell] closed out its broadcast tonight with a brief interview with the lead workaround-the-software-or-lose-the-probe engineer on this amazing achievement...white GAL Suzanne Dodd!

(Too bad O'Donnell had the night off at Black Rock in NYC; the always-feminist-tilting anchor would have been beaming widely with her lovely signature, blue-eyed-accentuating smile during her outro to this terrific, feel-good story.)

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
==================
Ms. Dodd is center, back to the camera in this shot amid this Smithsonian coverage [bunch of other ladies in there too]:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/voyager-1-sends-clear-data-to-nasa-for-the-first-time-in-five-months-180984209/

Re: NOT DEAD: Voyager 1 stirs back to life!

<v0bvqb$brb$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=22500&group=alt.obituaries#22500

From: le@main.lekno.ws (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 22:07:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Wed, 24 Apr 2024 22:07 UTC

MJ <mjsmagic@aol.com> wrote:
> Of course, it needs to leave us at some point so that it can come aboard the starship Enterprise sometime in the 2270s.

TMP supposedly featured Voyager 6 and as of now 3 is not even being planned...this is 1 (which was launched after 2
but numbered lower because its trajectory would let it reach its Jupiter mission first).

Of course it's possible that 1 has encountered some Galaxy-Quest-level-naive extraterrestrials who
have watched broadcasts of TMP and are confusing it with interrogation about its still-fictional
younger sibling.

-=-=-

interests / alt.obituaries / Re: NOT DEAD: Voyager 1 stirs back to life!