From: countymayo@yahoo.com (Diner99)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Subject: Joe Pellegrino, 89, TV sports anchor
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 17:11:49 +0000
 by: Diner99 - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 17:11 UTC

Joe Pellegrino, 89, the popular Philadelphia TV sports anchor who was a key member of the top-rated Action News team during the 1970s, died on Friday, April 12, at his home in Marlton of cardiac disease with complications from diabetes.

From 1971 to ‘76, the award-winning Mr. Pellegrino was the main sports anchor on WPVI-TV with news anchor Larry Kane and weatherman Jim O’Brien.

“He was an instant sensation,” Kane said in a phone interview, recalling how the station made promotional videos of women chasing after the charismatic sportscaster.

Mr. Pellegrino left Philadelphia to pursue his career in other cities, but returned in the 1980s to rejoin Kane at WCAU-TV.

“Joe was one of the nicest human beings I ever worked with in my life,” Kane said.

His career in TV and radio included jobs in Washington, Boston, Detroit, Cleveland, and San Francisco.

His incredibly varied work included making a documentary on the life of legendary boxer Rocky Marciano, covering the Lake Placid Winter Olympic Games in 1980, being a color commentator for Detroit Tigers games with baseball legends Al Kaline and George Kell, play-by-play announcing for Villanova basketball telecasts and hosting a weekly show with Villanova coach Rollie Massimino.

https://www.inquirer.com/obituaries/obituary-joe-pellegrino-sports-anchor-action-news-20240419.html

Re: Joe Pellegrino, 89, TV sports anchor

<e5c44cacbb0c48cbb1c7ee37616155ed@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=22451&group=alt.obituaries#22451

From: radioactiveseattle@hotmail.com (bryan_styble)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Subject: Re: Joe Pellegrino, 89, TV sports anchor
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 21:31:07 +0000
 by: bryan_styble - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 21:31 UTC

Never having lived in Philadelphia, I never got to watch the late Pellegrino on local TV.

But I sure HEARD about his sterling* work covering the athletics scene in The City of Brotherly Love...from my sports-department colleagues at WJR/Detroit during my mid-90s tenure there at the Tigers' flagship radio station.

Much appreciate your posting this, Diner!

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
=================
* Surprised no Bronx Bombers partisan has yet memorialized herein the sudden Yankees broadcast-booth retirement of John Sterling; "the Yankee-ee-ee-ees LOST!" a great one indeed when Sterling unexpectedly quit earlier this month.

Re: Joe Pellegrino, 89, TV sports anchor

<dd6b6cf380964fbbf89d25871f11971e@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=22452&group=alt.obituaries#22452

From: radioactiveseattle@hotmail.com (bryan_styble)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 21:46:35 +0000
 by: bryan_styble - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 21:46 UTC

While this retrospective radio interview of the late Pellegrino is a post-career clip, it makes clear his prodigious broadcast talent--and good-humored incisiveness!--hadn't faded a whit since his heyday.

STYBLE/Florida
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIRDjZTWd4w

interests / alt.obituaries / Joe Pellegrino, 89, TV sports anchor