"For the man who has everything... Penicillin." -- F. Borquin

computers / alt.windows7.general / Re: _x86

SubjectAuthor
* O.T. Yahoo.comjetjock
+* Re: O.T. Yahoo.comFrank Slootweg
|+* Re: O.T. Yahoo.comjetjock
||`- Re: O.T. Yahoo.comPaul in Houston TX
|`- Re: O.T. Yahoo.coms|b
+* Re: O.T. Yahoo.comPaul
|`* Re: O.T. Yahoo.comjetjock
| +* Re: O.T. Yahoo.comPaul
| |+* Re: O.T. Yahoo.comjetjock
| ||+* Re: O.T. Yahoo.comJ. P. Gilliver
| ||`- Re: O.T. Yahoo.comZaidy036
| |`- Re: O.T. Yahoo.comChar Jackson
| `- Re: O.T. Yahoo.comJ. P. Gilliver
`* Re: O.T. Yahoo.comJohn
 +* Re: O.T. Yahoo.comPaul
 |+* Firefox (was: Re: O.T. Yahoo.com)J. P. Gilliver
 ||`* Re: FirefoxPaul
 || `* Re: FirefoxJohn
 ||  `- Re: FirefoxJ. P. Gilliver
 |`* Re: O.T. Yahoo.comJohn
 | +- Re: O.T. Yahoo.comPaul
 | `* Re: O.T. Yahoo.comJohn
 |  `* Re: O.T. Yahoo.comPaul
 |   `* Re: O.T. Yahoo.comJohn
 |    `* _x86J. P. Gilliver
 |     `- Re: _x86John
 `- Re: O.T. Yahoo.comJ. P. Gilliver

Pages:12
Re: O.T. Yahoo.com

<hsp92j9qrrue4lcep2cjrb3kj5kcam29tu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=8547&group=alt.windows7.general#8547

From: Man@the.keyboard (John)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: O.T. Yahoo.com
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 11:33:45 +0100
Sender: 9dIQLXBM7WM9KzA+yjdR4A
 by: John - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 10:33 UTC

On Sat, 20 Apr 2024 16:18:27 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
wrote:

<<snipped>>

>The funniest thing they ever did, is they put a 64-bit install
>of Firefox, in the 32-bit program area, and I was looking
>at this and going "No way! Nobody does this!". But... they did.
>It was cleaned up on the next release. I guess the idea was,
>not being Windows folks particularly, it was just "hey, here's
>a folder we could use, this will solve our little problem". They
>didn't care what the folder was for. "Not their problem"

They all didn't once happen to work for Da Gubbermint did they? That
sort of "thinking" is more GOvernmental than Programmer.

Unless, is it possible they all came from Microsoft?

>So if you ever lose your car keys, its not in your pants pocket
>or on the dresser, check C:\Program Files (x86) and your keys
>will be there.

I *hate* "PFx86".

I never do anything about it, though I certainly (probably) could but
I just loath the name. It's so ... untidy. I don't understand why they
couldn't just have called it something like "C:\ProgramFilesx86" or
similar but with hyphens after the "m" and "s". Or, just to be nice,
"C:\Proram-Files\x86" with it being stored "under" ""C:\Program-Files"
for neatness and convenience.

Not that understanding stuff Microsoft does is ever on the list of
things that are possible, likely or easy. They are *worse* than
governments.

"Well, we tried this sixteen times and it didn't work, ever, so let's
rename it and try it again."

Anyway, thank you.

I'm off to think about breakfasting. There's a fridge full of goodies
and cupboards full of noodley-bits to stare at and dismiss with apathy
and anhedonia before settling for a slug of something wet.

J.

> Paul

_x86

<54Vy4FdZaTJmFwe9@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=8548&group=alt.windows7.general#8548

Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 16:54:01 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: _x86
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 15:54 UTC

In message <hsp92j9qrrue4lcep2cjrb3kj5kcam29tu@4ax.com> at Sun, 21 Apr
2024 11:33:45, John <Man@the.keyboard> writes
[]
> I *hate* "PFx86".
>
> I never do anything about it, though I certainly (probably) could but
>I just loath the name. It's so ... untidy. I don't understand why they
>couldn't just have called it something like "C:\ProgramFilesx86" or
>similar but with hyphens after the "m" and "s". Or, just to be nice,
>"C:\Proram-Files\x86" with it being stored "under" ""C:\Program-Files"
>for neatness and convenience.

Yes; also treating 32 and 64 bit systems differently. Should have been
something like \Program-Files, with separate folders x86 and something
else under it (with the second one being empty or absent on 32-bit
systems).

> Not that understanding stuff Microsoft does is ever on the list of
>things that are possible, likely or easy. They are *worse* than

Introducing spaces into path names certainly wasn't broad-thinking.

>governments.

Indeed; we can't even vote them out.

> "Well, we tried this sixteen times and it didn't work, ever, so let's
>rename it and try it again."

(-: )-:

> Anyway, thank you.
>
> I'm off to think about breakfasting. There's a fridge full of goodies
>and cupboards full of noodley-bits to stare at and dismiss with apathy
>and anhedonia before settling for a slug

What, the garden pest? Not very appetising.

> of something wet.

Ah.
> J.
>

>> Paul
John
--

Veni, Vidi, Video (I came, I saw, I'll watch it again later) - Mik from S+AS
Limited (mik@saslimited.demon.co.uk), 1998

Re: _x86

<tvra2jtdni1hrgo6qe0s4o3urqu6fqag27@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=8549&group=alt.windows7.general#8549

From: Man@the.keyboard (John)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: _x86
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 21:25:27 +0100
Sender: 9dIQLXBM7WM9KzA+yjdR4A
 by: John - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 20:25 UTC

On Sun, 21 Apr 2024 16:54:01 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver"
<G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:

>In message <hsp92j9qrrue4lcep2cjrb3kj5kcam29tu@4ax.com> at Sun, 21 Apr
>2024 11:33:45, John <Man@the.keyboard> writes
>[]
>> I *hate* "PFx86".
>>
>> I never do anything about it, though I certainly (probably) could but
>>I just loath the name. It's so ... untidy. I don't understand why they
>>couldn't just have called it something like "C:\ProgramFilesx86" or
>>similar but with hyphens after the "m" and "s". Or, just to be nice,
>>"C:\Proram-Files\x86" with it being stored "under" ""C:\Program-Files"
>>for neatness and convenience.
>
>Yes; also treating 32 and 64 bit systems differently. Should have been
>something like \Program-Files, with separate folders x86 and something
>else under it (with the second one being empty or absent on 32-bit
>systems).

Would that not have required forethought and extra expense on
programmers' salaries?

Though they could do it now, in Windows 14 (there never will be a 13,
it would bother the silly USAlien southerners) with a simple re-direct
in the Registery to account for legacy x86-bound programs.

>> Not that understanding stuff Microsoft does is ever on the list of
>>things that are possible, likely or easy. They are *worse* than
>
>Introducing spaces into path names certainly wasn't broad-thinking.

Yeah. It even broke their cherished "8.3" style naming convention
forever. I thought Micky *loved* their 8.3?

>>governments.
>
>Indeed; we can't even vote them out.

We-eee--eeeeeelllllll, we sort of can. Just buy kit with Linux
installed, never touch anything MessySoftish and evangelise like a
Linux dork.

[Ludicrously, my spellchecker suggested "beekeeper" for the word
fragment with all of those "l"'s. I don't understand its logic. :) ]

It could work if we could teach the lumpen proletariat to care.

I don't see good odds for it. :)

>> "Well, we tried this sixteen times and it didn't work, ever, so let's
>>rename it and try it again."
>
>(-: )-:
>>
>> Anyway, thank you.
>>
>> I'm off to think about breakfasting. There's a fridge full of goodies
>>and cupboards full of noodley-bits to stare at and dismiss with apathy
>>and anhedonia before settling for a slug
>
>What, the garden pest? Not very appetising.

First: there are many people (I think they are all French but we in
England are enlightened enough to consider that even the French may,
somehow, almost count as being something resembling "people") who eat
gastropods and seemingly enjoy them. Realistically, it's little
different from eating oysters, whelks or barnacles. It is comparable
to the difference between eating lobster and avoiding 'roaches.

Second: "slug of something wet" is an ancient and honoured English
Imperial measurement of approximately a couple of score of cubic
centimetres or bunches of millilitres.

Lastly: I did have a slug of wetness and my "morning" pills. It was
nice. Then I cooked blobs of chicken in the littler oven. That was
even nicer.

Oh, and the slugs that slime about aren't really a pest, they eat
pests. They also eat good things, true but it's up to us to deter them
from doing that. My gardener friend uses copper strips to annoy them.
I've no idea why but it does seem to protect tomatoes.

Is copper toxic? To humans? To things that resemble humans a little?
Do tomatoes take up copper from the water that runs off of it? Do
human-like things *need* copper?

I smell another Wicked-pee event in my near future. It's been decades
since I bothered with copper.

>> of something wet.
>>
>Ah.

Odd. That's sort of what I said when I had my slug.

I'm off for another one, this time of tea.

>> J.
>>

>>> Paul
>John

Mark, Luke and Ringo? Mat's contributions to the lyrics all got lost
because he wrote them in Braille and Mr. Braille hadn't invented
Braille way back then so no one could read them.

J.