From: justisaur@yahoo.com (Justisaur)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: Free Game: "F.I.S.T.: Forged In Shadow Torch"
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2024 08:34:38 -0700
 by: Justisaur - Sun, 28 Apr 2024 15:34 UTC

On 12/26/2022 8:05 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

> Whoa... more games? I thought Epic's freebies were gonna only be to
> XMas. But no, we're getting more! I like more! Gimme more!
>
> Today's game is:
>
> * F.I.S.T.: Forged In Shadow Torch
> https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/fist-forged-in-shadow-torch
> I'm not sure what to make of this one. It defines itself as a
> metroidvania-style platformer, but it looks like something out of
> Bladerunner. I'm not a fan of 'challenging platforming' but boy oh
> boy, the visuals alone may be enough for me to give this one a try.
> Then again, reviews indicate some flawed mechanics, bugs and a
> lackluster story. Well, it's free so no harm in giving it a chance.

Tried this one a day or so ago. It's remarkably good for a fighting
platforming game so far. There's a couple areas I've been able to
access with traps in them - I'm not sure if I need some ability I don't
have yet as you do pick up double jump a little bit in and that opened
up a couple that I couldn't do before that.

I started getting a little frustrated with it and took a break though
having played it for 6 hours. I'll probably come back to it.
Supposedly it's aorund 7-21 hours depending how completionist you are,
so not a huge time investment. Worth a try if you liked any fighting
puzzle platformers.

One probably can't complain about the graphics as they seem to be fully
3D detailed models, but being side scrolling platforming that does feel
a little weird that you can't go in any direction.

--
-Justisaur

ø-ø
(\_/)\
`-'\ `--.___,
¶¬'\( ,_.-'
\\
^'

Re: Free Game: "F.I.S.T.: Forged In Shadow Torch"

<v0obli$1pr73$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17748&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#17748

From: justisaur@yahoo.com (Justisaur)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2024 07:42:57 -0700
 by: Justisaur - Mon, 29 Apr 2024 14:42 UTC

On 4/28/2024 8:34 AM, Justisaur wrote:
> On 12/26/2022 8:05 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>>
>> Whoa... more games? I thought Epic's freebies were gonna only be to
>> XMas. But no, we're getting more! I like more! Gimme more!
>>
>> Today's game is:
>>
>> * F.I.S.T.: Forged In Shadow Torch
>> https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/fist-forged-in-shadow-torch
>> I'm not sure what to make of this one. It defines itself as a
>> metroidvania-style platformer, but it looks like something out of
>> Bladerunner. I'm not a fan of 'challenging platforming' but boy oh
>> boy, the visuals alone may be enough for me to give this one a try.
>> Then again, reviews indicate some flawed mechanics, bugs and a
>> lackluster story. Well, it's free so no harm in giving it a chance.
>>

> Tried this one a day or so ago.  It's remarkably good for a fighting
> platforming game so far.  There's a couple areas I've been able to
> access with traps in them - I'm not sure if I need some ability I don't
> have yet as you do pick up double jump a little bit in and that opened
> up a couple that I couldn't do before that.
>
> I started getting a little frustrated with it and took a break though
> having played it for 6 hours.  I'll probably come back to it. Supposedly
> it's aorund 7-21 hours depending how completionist you are, so not a
> huge time investment.  Worth a try if you liked any fighting puzzle
> platformers.

The platforming itself is pretty easy, there's no pixel perfect
platforming, and you have wall grabs and double jump (a short while into
the game anyway)

I did get something that let me through some of the places I couldn't
get before, one of them was a sort of hover-glide. Still lots of places
I can't so I'm assuming more upgrades and backtracking again (which I
don't like)

One of the puzzles got a bit frustratingly long, having to go back and
forth through an area I couldn't see how to avoid getting hit, and I
almost quit there, but got through it and haven't hit another like that yet.

--
-Justisaur

ø-ø
(\_/)\
\\
^'

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Re: Free Game: "F.I.S.T.: Forged In Shadow Torch"