From: admin@sybershock.com (Syber Shock)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.general,alt.privacy.anon-server
Subject: VeilID : Cult of the Dead Cow Unveils New P2P Mixnet
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 03:07:11 -0500
logging-data="289689"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org";
posting-account="TzG3Hl99Aa0Fgb506WreKRgRTO2mG9+aGjVDifyfNqo";
 by: Syber Shock - Sat, 12 Aug 2023 08:07 UTC

The maintainer has released a Debian package repo for ease of install.

Veilid: A secure peer-to-peer network for apps that flips off the
surveillance economy:
https://www.theregister.com/2023/08/12/veilid_privacy_data/

[copypasta]

site: https://veilid.com/

Veilid (pronounced Vay-Lid, from 'Valid and Veiled Identification')

Veilid allows anyone to build a distributed, private app. Veilid gives
users the privacy to opt out of data collection and online tracking.
Veilid is being built with user experience, privacy, and safety as our
top priorities. It is open source and available to everyone to use and
build upon.

Veilid goes above and beyond existing privacy technologies and has the
potential to completely change the way people use the Internet. Veilid
has no profit motive, which puts us in a unique position to promote
ideals without the compromise of capitalism.

[/copypasta]

Instructions to install a VeilID node

https://gitlab.com/veilid/veilid/-/blob/main/INSTALL.md

--
SugarBug | https://sybershock.com | NNTP | Usenet | Forum
Fediverse | https://syfershock.com/users/syfershock

Re: VeilID : Cult of the Dead Cow Unveils New P2P Mixnet

<ub9crn$bfpj$1@matrix.hispagatos.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=777&group=rocksolid.shared.general#777

Followup: alt.privacy.anon-server
From: rek2@hispagatos.org.invalid (rek2 hispagatos)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.general,alt.privacy.anon-server
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 01:49:43 -0000 (UTC)
 by: rek2 hispagatos - Sun, 13 Aug 2023 01:49 UTC

On 2023-08-12, Syber Shock <admin@sybershock.com> wrote:
> The maintainer has released a Debian package repo for ease of install.
>
> Veilid: A secure peer-to-peer network for apps that flips off the
> surveillance economy:
> https://www.theregister.com/2023/08/12/veilid_privacy_data/
>
> [copypasta]
>
> site: https://veilid.com/
>
> Veilid (pronounced Vay-Lid, from 'Valid and Veiled Identification')
>
> Veilid allows anyone to build a distributed, private app. Veilid gives
> users the privacy to opt out of data collection and online tracking.
> Veilid is being built with user experience, privacy, and safety as our
> top priorities. It is open source and available to everyone to use and
> build upon.
>
> Veilid goes above and beyond existing privacy technologies and has the
> potential to completely change the way people use the Internet. Veilid
> has no profit motive, which puts us in a unique position to promote
> ideals without the compromise of capitalism.
>
> [/copypasta]
>
> Instructions to install a VeilID node
>
> https://gitlab.com/veilid/veilid/-/blob/main/INSTALL.md

Thanks for posting this, I appreciate it.

Happy Hacking
ReK2

--
- {gemini,https}://{,rek2.}hispagatos.org - mastodon: @rek2@hispagatos.space
- [https|gemini]://2600.Madrid - https://hispagatos.space/@rek2

Re: VeilID : Cult of the Dead Cow Unveils New P2P Mixnet

<20230828.112817.860acc45@yamn.paranoici.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=783&group=rocksolid.shared.general#783

From: nobody@yamn.paranoici.org (Anonymous)
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 11:28:17 +0000
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server,rocksolid.shared.general
 by: Anonymous - Mon, 28 Aug 2023 11:28 UTC

<https://veilid.com/Launch-Slides-Veilid.pdf> - Page 29 f.:

| Compiled Routes
|
| Private Routes are published as a ‘private destination’ and Safety
| Routes are allocated locally and combined together with a Private Route
| to form a Compiled Route.
|
| Each node hop only knows about the next one. This is similar to onion
| routing, but assumes that the source is fully in control of the Safety
| Route and the destination is fully in control of the Private Route

The SURB problem that already sandbagged Mixminion.

Thanks, but no thanks!

Re: VeilID : Cult of the Dead Cow Unveils New P2P Mixnet

<a4d85e9b411a310c5088ab6451d190db@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=845&group=rocksolid.shared.general#845

From: tl4h92+5vl0nig3ewwoc@sharklasers.com (carbon42)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server,rocksolid.shared.general
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 19:30:05 +0000
 by: carbon42 - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 19:30 UTC

Sandbagged? Do you mean that it has some negative impact on speed and compute usage? Because I can't seem to find anything pertaining to an attack using the feature when I look it up.

If it's the performance stuff you're referencing then I don't see why that's a real problem. Trading off compute & speed for anonymity is fine.

Re: VeilID : Cult of the Dead Cow Unveils New P2P Mixnet

<a64ed1714b7ac7221b5b466e94410813@www.rocksolidbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=849&group=rocksolid.shared.general#849

From: Anonymous@www.rocksolidbbs.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server,rocksolid.shared.general
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2024 21:08:17 +0000
 by: Anonymous - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 21:08 UTC

Hearsay in the comments. I don't know if it is true.

iPhone only

Looks like the initial rollout of Veilidchat is by invitation through the Apple store.

Probably sometimes in February I'll take a look and dump in a test OS.

Re: VeilID : Cult of the Dead Cow Unveils New P2P Mixnet

<06a802d32afd8962a01957df5dbfbe49@www.rocksolidbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=850&group=rocksolid.shared.general#850

From: Anonymous@www.rocksolidbbs.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server,rocksolid.shared.general
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 00:56:05 +0000
 by: Anonymous - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 00:56 UTC

When you are a hammer everything looks like a nail.
Every so often a white paper comes along with some network. Nobody has actually shown how it scales. I have 10 routers and this is how it looks like. With 50 that is the model. I don't need FFT (Fast Fourier Transforms or LaPlace) but really you need to check your comm module before you come out with networks.
For i2p models I use radio relay and truncated Planar Wave (in my blood) models. There are more complex and better models but the processing power is just to much.