In order to discover who you are, first learn who everybody else is; you're what's left.

interests / News / Re: ACAB

SubjectAuthor
* ACABanonymous
+- ACABtrw
+* ACABAnonymous
|`- ACABGuest
+* ACABGuest
|`* ACABGuest
| `* ACABGuest
|  `- ACABGuest
+* ACABguest
|`- ACABGuest
`* ACABGuest
 `* ACABAnonUser
  `* ACABanon
   `* ACABGuest
    `* ACABGuest
     `* ACABanon
      `* ACABanon
       `* ACABanon
        `* ACABanon
         `- ACABGuest

1
Re: ACAB

<q74v9c$p6c$1@def5.org>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=44&group=rocksolid.shared.news#44

From: guest@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Guest)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Subject: Re: ACAB
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2019 05:46:02 -0400
 by: Guest - Sat, 23 Mar 2019 09:46 UTC

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2019/03/22/michael-rosfeld-not-guilty-protesters-take-to-streets/

Former Officer Michael Rosfeld Not Guilty: Hundreds Of Protesters Take To Pittsburgh Streets
March 22, 2019 at 11:59 pm
Filed Under:Antwon Rose, Antwon Rose II, Michael Rosfeld

Follow KDKA-TV: Facebook | Twitter

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) -- Hundreds of protesters have taken to Pittsburgh streets after former police officer Michael Rosfeld
found not guilty of shooting Antwon Rose.

A jury found Rosfeld, who is charged in the June 2018 shooting death of 17-year-old Antwon Rose II, not guilty.

Watch Kym Gable's report --

The jury reached their verdict after deliberating for about three and a half hours Friday.

A large crowd of protesters began to gather outside the Allegheny County Courthouse shortly after the verdict was
announced.

RELATED STORIES:

Former Police Officer Michael Rosfeld Found Not Guilty

Pittsburgh Public Safety Preparing For Michael Rosfeld Verdict Announcement
Former East Pittsburgh Police Officer Michael Rosfeld On Trial For Antwon Rose Shooting: Day 3 Live Updates
Antwon Rose's Mother Instructs Protestors To Stand Down During Michael Rosfeld's Trial
More stories related to Michael Rosfeld
More stories related to Antwon Rose

At one point, one protester read a poem Rose wrote two years before he was killed that said in part, "I AM NOT WHAT YOU
THINK! I am confused and afraid. I wonder what path I will take."

Watch Paul Martino's report --

The Pittsburgh Department of Public Safety says they will continue to do what they can to keep the city safe.

"While preparing for the end of the Michael Rosfeld trial, the focus and singular goal of the City of Pittsburgh's
Public Safety Department was to keep the city safe.
That remains our focus tonight. It will remain our focus in the days to come.
If demonstrations occur, Pittsburgh Police will be present to assure safety for everyone -- including demonstrators,
residents, business owners and visitors to our city.
We know from experience that when Pittsburgh experiences hardships, we come together as a community.
Public Safety's mission is and always will be to keep everyone safe."

Around 11:55 p.m. Friday, Public Safety tweeted that a peaceful demonstration in East Liberty was resulting in multiple
rolling/temporary closures.

ALERT: Peaceful demonstration in East Liberty is resulting in multiple rolling/temporary road closures. Be aware of
delays. @PghPolice is present to assure safety.

-- Pgh Public Safety (@PghPublicSafety) March 23, 2019

Rosfeld shot and killed Rose last summer after pulling over an unlicensed taxicab suspected to have been involved in a
drive-by shooting minutes earlier. Rose, a passenger in the vehicle, was shot in the back as he fled.

The fact that Rosfeld shot Rose was never in dispute; instead, the jury was tasked with deciding if the shooting was
justified.

Prosecutors charged Rosfeld with an open count of homicide, meaning the jury could convict Rosfeld of murder or
manslaughter. The defense argued a murder charge wasn't appropriate in the case.

"What we have is a police officer doing his duty. There's not a hardness of heart required for first- or third-degree
murder," defense lawyer Patrick Thomassey argued in court. "We have a burst of three shots in one second on a fleeing
felon and we're going to charge him with murder? It's not fair."

The trial began on Tuesday morning with opening statements, lasting about 45 minutes. After that, the prosecution began
presenting their case.
Posted on: def3.i2p

Re: ACAB

<qhqn7g$5qb$1@def5.org>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=63&group=rocksolid.shared.news#63

From: trw@i2pmail.org (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2019 20:23:54 -0400
 by: trw - Wed, 31 Jul 2019 00:23 UTC

https://www.theroot.com/here-s-how-many-people-police-killed-in-2018-1831469528

Here's How Many People Police Killed in 2018
Michael Harriot

In March 2018, cops in Sacramento, California, fired at least 20 bullets at 22-year-old Stephon Clark, killing him. He
was unarmed and running away.

In June 2018, a Pittsburgh police officer killed 17-year-old Antwon Rose, shooting him in the back. He was unarmed and
fleeing.

In November, a Hoover, Alabama, police officer killed 22-year-old Emantic Bradford Jr. He was shot three times, all from
behind.

Police killed 1,165 people in 2018.

There were only 22 days in all of last year where police didn't kill someone. Despite all the protests, marches,
training seminars, thoughts and prayers, in 2018, cops killed 36 more people than they did the year before, according to
Mapping Police Violence and the Washington Post.

And despite being 12.6 percent of the U.S. population, black people were 26.7 percent of the people killed by police
where the race was known. The number of black people killed by police in the last year (215) was more than all the
police who died in the line of duty (148), U.S. servicemen killed in action (2) and Americans killed by Islamic
terrorists (0) combined.

Here are other startling statistics of the people whose race was known when they were killed by police:

In 2018, black people were three times more likely to be killed by police than were whites.
More Americans died last year from police shootings (986) than mass shootings (84).
28 percent of the unarmed victims of police killings were black and only 48 percent were white.
34.9 percent of the people killed by cops--even though they were unarmed and not attacking--were black. Forty-four
percent were white.
We know the race of 113 people who were shot and killed by police officers as they were fleeing the scene on foot.
Thirty-five percent were black.
Violent crime rate has no correlation with police shootings. Some cities with high crime rates have low rates of
police killings. Some cities with low rates for violent crime still kill a disproportionate number of citizens.
Although non-Hispanic whites make up 62 percent of the population, most of the unarmed, armed, and fleeing victims
killed by police in 2018 were people of color. There was no category of police shootings where police killed more
whites.

If you took all the killings by gangbangers in Chicago, added all the deaths caused by Black Identity Extremists (0),
threw in the deaths caused by NFL players kneeling (0), and multiplied that by all of the cops killed by members of
Black Lives Matter (0), sworn law enforcement officers killed more than twice that total.

Ninety-nine percent of the officers involved in the 1,165 police killings in 2018 were not charged with a crime.

Happy New Year.
Posted on: def3.i2p

ACAB

<p0haom$shd$1@raspberrypi.def.i2p>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=360&group=rocksolid.shared.news#360

From: anonymous@def.i2p.org (anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Subject: ACAB
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2017 18:52:54 +0000
 by: anonymous - Sat, 9 Dec 2017 18:52 UTC

https://granta.com/violence-in-blue/

Violence in Blue
Patrick Ball
Police Homicides in the United States

Americans are afraid of many threats to their lives serial killers, crazed gunmen, gang bangers, and above all terrorists but these threats are surprisingly unlikely.[1] Approximately three-quarters of all homicide victims in America are killed by someone they know.[2] And the real threat from strangers is quite different from what most fear: one-third of all Americans killed by strangers are killed by police.

This is the story of the hidden numbers of police homicides in the United States. The killings of Michael Brown, Eric Garner and Walter Scott have increased the world's attention to US police violence, yet most Americans underestimate the threat posed by the people charged with keeping them safe.

Let's turn to the facts.

There is no national registry of civilians killed by police and corrections officers in the United States. Several states, including Texas, Connecticut and California, maintain complete records, but in most parts of the United States, local law enforcement chooses whether to report officer-involved homicides to the federal government. The lack of systematic data poses a challenge both for those who wish to hold police accountable for their actions and for those who want to propose reform measures to reduce police violence. How many killings are committed by police?

In recent months, a number of 'crowdsourced' databases have emerged, including in particular Fatal Encounters and Killed by Police.[3] Journalistic efforts, including those by the Washington Post and the Guardian, have conducted infographic-style analyses of the patterns of police homicides that are known to the public. This latter qualification is a big one.

For the past twenty-five years, my colleagues and I have documented mass killings by state agents in over thirty countries around the world. From El Salvador to South Africa, from Kosovo to East Timor, from Colombia to Congo, we have built databases and conducted statistical analyses of patterns of violence by governments on behalf of tribunals, truth commissions, UN human rights missions and for local human rights activists. One of the only constants across all these examples is that the data we are able to collect is always partial.[4]

It is difficult to collect information about violence committed by governments. Victims are afraid of retaliation and so they explain the deaths in other ways. The families of victims rightly recognize that to accuse a police or military officer of murder puts themselves and their family members directly in the path of well-resourced and sometimes violent adversaries who may be above the law.

Furthermore, state agents who commit mass violence make every effort to disguise their actions. They influence coroners to describe the killings as accidents. They create narratives that distort responsibility so that it seems as though the victim is at fault for his or her own death. In their own narratives, police and military officials are keeping the peace and protecting innocents from the violent, the rebellious and the criminal. And in many cases, these narratives are correct. After all, the reason we consent to the existence of armed forces in our midst is precisely to keep us safe from these threats.

In other incidents, however, the police have killed people by accident, or because they used excessive force, or because their rules of engagement permit them to use deadly force whenever they feel their lives are threatened, for any reason. The question Americans face is therefore at what point the violence committed by our protectors exceeds the violence we might suffer from the people they claim to be protecting us against?

*

The FBI maintains a list of homicides called the Supplementary Homicide Report (SHR), which includes people killed by police and corrections officers. Crucially, the SHR only includes homicides committed by police that in the judgment of the police department or the local FBI have been justified, that is, considered legal. Many people, including members of Congress, have asked the larger question: How many people in total are killed by the police in the United States every year?

Seeking an answer, Congress passed the Death in Custody Reporting Act of 2000, requiring the Department of Justice to maintain a list of people killed by police in the United States. The Arrest-Related Deaths program (ARD) was created by the Bureau of Justice Statistics to do this. After several years, the Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) decided to conduct an assessment of the coverage of the Arrest-Related Deaths database. Was this database complete, or did it omit victims?

The BJS faced the same problem looking at the victims of police homicides in the United States that the global human rights community faces when we try to figure out how many people have been killed in Syria's civil war: we have a number of lists which partially overlap, and which are individually and in sum incomplete. It turns out that there is a statistical technique specifically designed for data of this kind using multiple, independently collected lists that can create good estimates of how many people are not on the lists.

The Bureau of Justice Statistics turned to Research Triangle Incorporated, a North Carolina-based statistics think tank, for help with this statistical evaluation. They issued a report published in March 2015 that compared the Arrest-Related Deaths database with the FBI's Supplementary Homicide Report.[5] The report considers homicides committed by police within the years 20032009 and 2011 (2010 was omitted). They first asked how much the two databases overlap, that is, how often they document the same victims.

Diagram-Granta-1-online.jpg

The left circle shows the number of deaths documented in the Arrest-Related Deaths database, and the right circle shows the deaths documented by the Supplementary Homicide Report. The overlapping section in the middle the intersection of the two lists shows the number of deaths on both lists.

Notice that in the Venn diagram, the two lists are encircled by a large cloud of smoke think of this as the 'universe' of total deaths, which includes the deaths that are not on the ARD or SHR lists.[6] That is, the cloud includes deaths that are not observed by these projects. We can use some probability theory and algebra to estimate the number of deaths not on the lists, and this is an important insight. The cloud refers to the total number of police homicides that can be 'statistically inferred' to exist.

Here is an analogy for how this statistical technique works. Imagine that there are two rooms, and we want to know which of the two is larger. Our only tool for assessing the rooms' sizes is a handful of small rubber balls. The balls have the curious property that when they strike each other, they make a distinctive clicking noise. We take the rubber balls, throw them into the first room and listen click, click, click. Then we gather the balls and throw them into the second room click. Which room is larger?

Diagram-Granta-2.jpg

The second room is larger. The smaller room forces the balls together more closely than the larger room, so the balls have less room to bounce around, and they therefore hit each other more often.

What the BJS analysts have done in their report is akin to throwing the two databases into the 'room' of all police homicides in the United States. It turns out that the ratio of the sizes of the individual databases to the number of times they collide can provide an estimate of the total number of police homicides in the US including those that have not been observed.

In my opinion, this is the real purpose of statistics. We often use simple statistics that just count things, like how many widgets our factory shipped last year. But statistics is much more useful when it enables us to know something about uncertainty. If we have a measure that we know to be imprecise, how imprecise is it: wildly, or only slightly? If we have a measure that systematically undercounts something (statisticians would call this bias), is the undercount minimal, or is it severe? Can we correct the bias? These are the kinds of questions that statistics can answer. In this case, the estimate made by the Bureau of Justice Statistics is much closer to the likely true number of homicides committed by police than the raw data, but it can be improved considerably. To understand how this works, let's dive into the technical bits.

*

Here's the math behind measuring undocumented police homicides: there is a total number of homicides committed by police in the United States, denoted by an uppercase N. The uppercase N represents all the deaths in the cloud, but we don't know what it is. What we do know is the number of deaths listed, documented, and known in the Arrest-Related Deaths database call this number A; the list of deaths documented and known by the FBI in the Supplementary Homicide Report call this B; and the number of deaths known in both databases we'll call this M. The probability that any given death in N is documented by the Arrest-Related Deaths database is A divided by N; that a death in N is documented by the FBI's Supplementary Homicide Report is B divided by N; and that a death is documented by these two lists, M divided by N.

But here's where we can really get some leverage. Let's think about tossing coins: with one coin, the probability of a flip coming up heads is one over two. If I flip two coins, the probability that I've thrown two heads is one over four, that is, it equals the probability of the first head multiplied by the probability of the second head.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: ACAB

<p0lk2e$k5b$1@novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=361&group=rocksolid.shared.news#361

From: root@192.168.0.42 (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2017 09:44:46 +0000
 by: Anonymous - Mon, 11 Dec 2017 09:44 UTC

Interesting read. This is stuff many already assume and it's
nice to see it presented well.
Posted on RetroBBS II

Re: ACAB

<p97ufu$97b$1@novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=370&group=rocksolid.shared.news#370

From: guest@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Guest)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2018 10:43:10 +0000
 by: Guest - Sun, 25 Mar 2018 10:43 UTC

To protect and to serve...my ass. To serve the ruling class
more like...fuck you coppers...

http://www.euronews.com/2018/03/24/police-spies-helped-creat
e-employee-blacklist-for-uk-companies-force-admits

United Kingdom
Police spies helped create employee 'blacklist' for UK
companies, force admits
By Sallyann Nicholls
last updated: 24/03/2018

Workers who complained of safety violations were reported by
police spies and prevented from getting another job in the
construction industry, an investigation has uncovered.

Richard Martin of the Metropolitan Police admitted that
allegations workers were put on a 'blacklist' used by
building firms to vet staff had been "proven".

It came in response to a complaint filed by the Blacklist
Support Group (BSG) to a police regulator in 2012.

Deputy assistant commissioner Martin said in a letter to the
BSG: "Allegation: Police, including Special Branches,
supplied information that appeared on the Blacklist, funded
by the country's major construction firms.

"The report concludes that, on the balance of probabilities,
the allegation that the police or Special Branches supplied
information is 'proven'."

Despite the admission, no further action will be taken
against the officers involved until a public inquiry has
concluded, the Met said in a statement.

The blacklisting scandal erupted in 2009 after a government
regulator dispatched investigators to raid offices belonging
to The Consulting Association in Droitwich, Worcestershire.
Inside, a handwritten database containing information on
3,212 workers was discovered. It had been used by over 40
construction companies to vet prospective staff.

Many were logged for raising safety concerns and were
subsequently denied future employment. The blacklist also
included details of workers' political views, competence,
and trade union activities.

BSG secretary Dave Smith said the Met's confession
"vindicated" their quest for the truth.

"When we first talked about police collusion in
blacklisting, people thought we were conspiracy theorists,"
he said in a statement, adding: "If it's happening in
construction, the very same thing will be happening in other
sectors."

Millions of pounds in compensation were paid out in civil
suits in the years after the blacklist was exposed.

Among those that filed was trade union Unite, which secured
a €10 million payout from building firms for 256 workers
in 2016.

A Unite representative said the revelation that police spied
on construction employees and fed information to
blacklisters had "major implications for blacklisting legal
cases."

Assistant general secretary Howard Beckett added: "[We] will
be urgently consulting with our legal experts to identify
exactly how we can take appropriate legal action on behalf
of our members whose lives were ruined due to the activities
of the police."

Posted on RetroBBS II

Re: ACAB

<p9qcjs$f8b$1@novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=377&group=rocksolid.shared.news#377

From: guest@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Guest)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2018 06:34:38 -0400
 by: Guest - Sun, 1 Apr 2018 10:34 UTC

off the pigs.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/03/14/593204274/alabama-sheriff-legally-took-750-000-meant-to-feed-inmates-bought-beach-house

America
Alabama Sheriff Legally Took $750,000 Meant To Feed Inmates,
Bought Beach House

March 14, 20184:26 PM ET
Camila Domonoske square 2017

Etowah County Sheriff Todd Entrekin took home as personal
profit more than $750,000 that was budgeted to feed jail
inmates, which is legal in Alabama, according to state law
and local officials.
Brynn Anderson/AP

A sheriff in Alabama took home as personal profit more than
$750,000 that was budgeted to feed jail inmates -- and then
purchased a $740,000 beach house, a reporter at The
Birmingham News found.

And it's perfectly legal in Alabama, according to state law
and local officials.

Alabama has a Depression-era law that allows sheriffs to
"keep and retain" unspent money from jail food-provision
accounts. Sheriffs across the state take excess money as
personal income -- and, in the event of a shortfall, are
personally liable for covering the gap.

Etowah County Sheriff Todd Entrekin told the News that he
follows that practice of taking extra money from the fund,
saying, "The law says it's a personal account and that's the
way I've always done it."

Sheriffs across the state do the same thing and have for
decades. But the scale of the practice is not clear: "It is
presently unknown how much money sheriffs across the state
have taken because most do not report it as income on state
financial disclosure forms," the Southern Center for Human
Rights wrote in January.

But in Etowah County, the News found the paper trail.

'Following the letter of the law'

The News discovered the eye-popping figures on ethics
disclosures that Entrekin sent to the state: Over the course
of three years, he received more than $750,000 in extra
compensation from "Food Provisions." The exact amount over
$750,000 is unclear, because Entrekin was not required to
specify above a $250,000 a year threshold, the paper
writes.

The paper also found that Entrekin and his wife own several
properties worth a combined $1.7 million, including a
$740,000 four-bedroom house in Orange Beach, Ala., purchased
in September.

Without the provision funds, Entrekin earns a little more
than $93,000 a year, the paper says.

In a statement emailed to NPR, Entrekin said the "liberal
media has began attacking me for following the letter of the
law."
FROM THE ARCHIVES
2009: Ala. Sheriff Jailed For Starving Inmates
Listen

"The Food Bill is a controversial issue that's used every
election cycle to attack the Sheriff's Office," Entrekin
said. "Alabama Law is clear regarding my personal financial
responsibilities of feeding inmates. Until the legislature
acts otherwise, the Sheriff must follow the current law."

Before he made headlines for profiting off the law, Entrekin
was better known for being indebted by it.

When Entrekin's predecessor died while still in office, all
the money in the food provision account went to his estate
-- as state law dictated, a county official told NPR.
Entrekin had to borrow $150,000 to keep the inmates fed. He
was paying down that debt for years, The Gadsden Times
reported.

In 2009, while he was still in debt from paying for inmates'
food, Entrekin told the Times that he personally thought the
law needed to be changed. But he noted that it might cost
more money for taxpayers if the county commission had to
manage jail kitchens through an open bid process.

David Akins, the chief administrative officer of the Etowah
County Commission, agrees with that assessment. He says the
commission is not eager to take on that duty, as some other
local governments have done.

"The sheriff can feed inmates cheaper than the county can,"
he said.

Inmate's diets, sheriff's responsibility

Alabama's controversial system hearkens back to a different
era, when county jails were more of a mom and pop operation
and feeding inmates was often the responsibility of a
sheriff's wife.

Today in Alabama, sheriffs are personally responsible for
feeding inmates in their jails and receive funds to cover
the cost. For state inmates, it's less than $2 per inmate
per day; for county, city or federal inmates, the amount can
be higher.
Criminal Justice Collaborative
Criminal Justice Collaborative

If sheriffs feed inmates on less than that, they can "keep
and retain" whatever is left over.

Lawyer Aaron Littman, at the Southern Center for Human
Rights, said in a January statement that the practice of
pocketing leftover funds was a "dubious interpretation" of
the law that "raises grave ethical concerns, invites public
corruption, and creates a perverse incentive to spend as
little as possible on feeding people who are in jail." He
argues the sheriffs are supposed to manage the funds, not
personally profit from them.

But local governments across the state say the law is clear
that the money can be kept for personal use.

"That's the way it was set up years ago," Akins from the
Etowah County Commission tells NPR. "That's just the way
it's been in the state. ... Of course, state legislators
could always change that if they wanted to."

He doesn't see a problem with the practice.

"I think if the inmates were not being fed properly, it
might be a concern," he said. "But I'll guarantee you that
if they're not fed properly, the federal government would
let us know about it."

'Sheriff Corn Dog' and bankrupt car lots

In some cases, the federal government has objected.

In 2009, then-Sheriff Greg Bartlett of Morgan County was
briefly tossed in jail after acknowledging that he had
personally profited, to the tune of $212,000, from a surplus
in the jail-food account. Prisoners testified about
receiving meager meals.

To cut corners, Bartlett used charitable donations and
"special deals," as CBS put it -- including once splitting a
$1,000 truck full of corn dogs with a sheriff of a nearby
county and then feeding the inmates corn dogs twice a day
for weeks.

He defended himself by noting that his profit was legal
under state law, but an exasperated federal judge said the
sheriff had an obligation to feed his inmates adequate
food.

The story made national headlines, and Bartlett agreed to no
longer dip into the jail food fund.
Newstime: Alabama sheriff legally took $750,000 meant to
feed inmates, bought beach house

In 2015, a sheriff in Morgan County loaned $150,000 from the
inmate food fund to a corrupt car lot. The loan was revealed
when the business, facing theft and scam charges, went
bankrupt.

Again, that sheriff's use of the food money was legal under
state law; it was only prohibited in Morgan County because
of the county's particular history.

Aside from individual lawsuits like those, it's hard to tell
exactly how much money earmarked for inmate food is going to
sheriffs.

This January, two advocacy groups sued for access to records
that could reveal how much jail food money was being turned
into personal profit. The groups said 49 sheriffs had
refused to provide records of where funds were spent.

Then in February, reporter Connor Sheets of the News began
revealing Entrekin's spending history and his ethics
disclosures.

'I put two and two together'

Sheets' investigation has also made headlines because of the
arrest of a key source.

Sheets spoke with a landscaper named Matt Qualls who mowed
Entrekin's lawn in 2015 and noticed the name of the account
on his checks -- the "Sheriff Todd Entrekin Food Provision
Account." He shared pictures with Sheets.

"A couple people I knew came through the jail, and they say
they got meat maybe once a month, and every other day, it
was just beans and vegetables," Qualls told Sheets. "I put
two and two together and realized that that money could have
gone toward some meat or something."

Sheets' initial story was published on Feb. 18. On Feb. 22,
Qualls was arrested and charged with drug trafficking after
an anonymous call complained of the smell of marijuana from
an apartment.

Qualls, who had never been arrested before, faces six
charges and is being held on a $55,000 bond, Sheets reports.
He is detained in a jail that Entrekin oversees.

Qualls was arrested by Rainbow City Police, not by the
sheriff's department.

The Etowah County Drug Enforcement Unit added extra charges
to his case, including a charge of drug trafficking, which
the Rainbow City Police chief said was based on inaccurate
weight calculations. (The unit counted 14 grams of pot,
infused in five cups of butter, as more than than 1,000
grams worth of marijuana.)

"Penalties for drug trafficking are extremely steep in
Alabama, where people have been imprisoned for life for the
crime," Sheets notes.

The sheriff's office denies involvement in Qualls' case,
noting that the landscaper was not arrested or charged by
the sheriff's office. The extra charges were added by the
Drug Enforcement Unit, which consist of agents drawn from
the sheriff's department, the FBI and other law enforcement
agencies.
Correction March 15, 2018

Click here to read the complete article
Re: ACAB

<pa8gjv$smn$1@novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=379&group=rocksolid.shared.news#379

From: guest@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Guest)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2018 15:08:48 -0400
 by: Guest - Fri, 6 Apr 2018 19:08 UTC

https://crimethinc.com/2018/04/06/brazil-rivers-of-blood-pea
ce-is-war-security-is-hazardous-and-citizens-are-the-targets
-of-the-state

Brazil: Rivers of Blood
Peace Is War, Security Is Hazardous, and Citizens Are the
Targets of the State

Analysis Current Events

In 2016, Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff was impeached in
a legal coup d'état. On March 14, 2018, City Council member
Marielle Franco was murdered in downtown Rio de Janeiro,
likely by the police or their colleagues in the paramilitary
cartels. Yesterday, a judge ordered the imprisonment of Lula
da Silva, the most popular candidate in the upcoming
presidential election. Rather than understanding these as
interruptions of Brazilian democracy, we have to recognize
them as the functioning of a system in which the forces that
purport to provide security are themselves the greatest
source of danger.

The army on the streets of Rio de Janeiro after the decree
of occupation.
The Execution of Marielle Franco

On March 14, City Council member Marielle Franco and driver
Anderson Gomes were shot and killed in downtown Rio de
Janeiro as they were leaving a gathering of black women from
a variety of social movements. The attack bears all the
hallmarks of an execution. Nothing was stolen; she was shot
in the head from behind and the driver was shot in the back.
Both died on the spot. Days before, Marielle had used social
media to denounce police brutality in the neighborhood of
Acari, where the military police battalion responsible for
the region has been carrying out executions and threatening
residents.
1

Marielle had dedicated her work to recording and denouncing
the occupation of the favelas in Rio by the Pacification
Police Units (UPP), which began in 2008. Recently, she had
been one of the preeminent voices against the Federal
Intervention undertaken by President Michel Temer. The
Federal Government, in accordance with the State Government,
took over the Public Security Secretary, putting in charge
an Army General, with deployment of Army troops. This was an
unprecedented measure, deemed by many unconstitutional,
reflecting the tactics of a government determined to remake
the law.

Many anarchist collectives and groups joined the protests
denouncing the murder of Marielle. She was a black lesbian
woman, a longtime grassroots militant in feminist movements
and black resistance in the favelas. Her work at the biggest
university in Rio de Janeiro was dedicated to exposing the
previous military occupations. She was a comrade to all who
fight against oppression, state violence, and patriarchy.

Dozens of other prominent participants in social movements
have been killed in Brazil over the past few years; at least
seven have already been murdered in 2018. Despite being a
known member of a political party, she was shot and killed
in the middle of the street. This shows that not even a
public position of power can protect you in the situation of
pervasive, constant and systematic violence that is now
normal for many in Brazil.

Marielle Presente.

The corporate media is trying to whitewhash and conceal the
radical aspects of Marielle's activism, suggesting that she
was just fighting for a vague notion of human rights. Worse,
they are using the murder to justify the military
occupation, as if she was murdered because there were not
enough police on the streets.

On the contrary, Marielle Franco was murdered because of the
police, and quite possibly by them.

What is driving the militarization and repression in Brazil?
How has it escalated since the uprising of 2013, the World
Cup, and the subsequent reaction? What can it teach us about
the future of democracy?

Tropical paradise.
Escalating Militarization and Policing

It is difficult to arrive at an understanding of Brazil's
political and social situation today when the political and
analytical categories one would previously have used to do
so are totally exhausted. Classical concepts such as
"citizenship," "sovereignty," "representation,"
"constitutional guarantees," and all the other terms that
derive from them have become plastic; they have melted in
the heat of the conflicts taking place across the globe
since the end of the 20th century. One has the impression
that not even those who utter these words are able to
believe in them. Today, everything has become its own
opposite: peace is war, security is hazardous, and citizens
are the targets of the same state agencies tasked with
protecting them.

The constitutional and militarized intervention in the
public security of Rio de Janeiro, instituted by
presidential decree and captained by a general of the
Brazilian Armed Forces, exposes these contradictions. It is
so absurd that it provokes paralysis, waiting, polite
requests for explanation.

Though such a governmental decision is unprecedented, when
we look at the various interventions in the favelas of Rio
de Janeiro that have taken place over the last several
decades, we can see that it is part of a stream of events
that has been flowing for a long time. One landmark was the
GLO (Guarantee of Law and Order) of 1992,
2 used to impose the ECO-92 on the city of Rio de Janeiro.

Starting from Operation Rio (1994-1995), the used of the
armed forces, especially the army, through the GLO ceased to
be exceptional. In view of recent events, such as the
pacification of favelas in Rio de Janeiro and the so-called
"public security crises" in the north of the country,
Espírito Santo and Goiás, we can conclude that the
relationship between the military and the police has been
inverted. Whereas once, the Military Police designated
auxiliary reserve forces to serve the Army of Brazil in the
event of a external conflict, today the military itself has
become a sort of auxiliary police force answering to the
state governors.

So the militarization of Brazilian society was already in
progress well before 2013. The National Security Force, for
example, was created in 2006 under the Lula administration.
Yet the uprising of June 2013 marked an inflection point.

How many more have to die for this war to end?

Paulo Arantes wrote, "After June, peace will be total." Five
years later, his prediction is confirmed--provided we
understand democratic social peace as identical with this
militarized war on the population.

The conservative reaction intensified with the so-called
mega-events, the 2014 World Cup and 2016 Olympics, both of
which took place in Rio. All of these offered the state the
opportunity to implement institutional adjustments in the
field of security. The police received new equipment and
special training from the military, in partnership with
police from the UK and France; new special battalions of
police were created; GLOs have been issued regularly; and a
new anti-terrorism law has been introduced (No. 13,260 of
March 16, 2016). In addition, police are focusing more on
video recording operations and monitoring social media.

After June 2013, the ghostly figure of a diffuse and
faceless (or masked) enemy took on more discernible
contours. The case of Amarildo de Souza, who was tortured
and murdered by a UPP (Pacifying Police Unit) and reported
missing, was a warning about the escalation of policing that
found no echo. The case of Rafael Braga Vieira, arrested in
June 2013 in Rio de Janeiro, exemplifies the expansion of
the power of security forces over the civilian population.
All these were forewarnings of the murder of Marielle
Franco.

Today, it is possible to justify almost anything in the name
of security. Daily life is full of little humiliations that
supposedly preserve our safety. These are still aimed
chiefly at black people, the poor, women, rebels, and others
who are marginalized; Marielle Franco was all of these.
Because anyone can be understood as a potential terrorist,
anyone can become a target of state terrorism. Those who
object to this are themselves targeted for additional
scrutiny from law enforcement or subjected to monitoring
devices.

Safety and danger are imposed by the same institutions. They
have become inextricably entangled, indistinguishable.

A soldier taking a photograph of the ID of a person who is
attempting to enter a neighborhood on the west side of Rio
de Janeiro.
Not Securing Democracy, but Securitizing It

All of these developments confirm the authoritarian
tendencies that have already been consolidating in the
world's democracies for decades now. At the same time, they
hint at the steps that are coming next.

The fact that all this is coming to pass under democracy
rather than a military dictatorship seems to contradict the
old-fashioned understanding of the state of exception as the
suspension of the law. In Brazil, we are witnessing this
intensification of violence, repression, and electronic
surveillance not as an interruption of the rule of law, but
as an extension of its logic. Today this is called the
"austerity policy"--the similarities with Greece are
evident, especially in Rio de Janeiro. These austerity
measures are only the latest reallocation of resources in a
centuries-ongoing series of colonial robberies channeling
resources from the public purse into the pockets of the
powerful, a process that precedes democracy yet has been
stabilized by it. What is disappearing now is the illusory
promise of isonomy (self-rule and equality under the law)
that supposedly qualified Brazil as a modern democracy.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: ACAB

<pbgbuf$tv8$1@novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=383&group=rocksolid.shared.news#383

From: guest@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Guest)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2018 17:54:24 -0400
 by: Guest - Sat, 21 Apr 2018 21:54 UTC

http://atlantablackstar.com/2018/04/18/utah-cops-order-black
-man-remove-hands-pocket-fatally-shoot/

Utah Man Shot and Killed While Complying with Police
Commands to Show His Hands
By Tanasia Kenney -
April 18, 2018

Newly released body camera footage shows the moment Utah
officers opened fire on an unarmed Black man as he removed
his right hand from his pocket -- which the officers
instructed him to do.

West Valley City police officers pursued 20-year-old Elijah
James Smith on April 8, as he matched the description of a
suspect accused of stealing from a nearby cell phone store,
The Salt Lake Tribune reported. Police said Smith hopped the
fence to the backyard of a home in an effort to flee, but
the homeowner asked him to leave. That's when he barged into
another neighborhood home and hid in its garage.

When officers arrived at the second home, a 13-year-old boy
answered the door and told them a man had enterered into his
house. Two other children, aged 9 and 10, were also inside
the home at the time of the incident.

Police soon went down to the garage where they found Smith
standing next to the car.

"Put your hands up now. Let me see your hands," officers
shout repeatedly from the stairs that led to the garage.
Smith initially only raised his left hand but left his right
hand tucked in his pocket, according to The Salt Lake
Tribune. Another officer is heard ordering the man to take
out his other hand, after which Smith raised his right elbow
as he removed his right hand.

Three shots are fired, one of them striking Smith. At the
same time one officer fired their weapon, another officer
discharged their stun gun, which didn't reach the suspect.
Smith would later die from his injuries.

After the shooting, authorities said they found a "modified"
screwdriver on the floor next to the Smith. Investigators
think it was the object tucked in his right-side pocket when
he was reluctant to remove his hand.

In a news conference, West Valley City Police Chief Colleen
Jacobs said officers perceived Smith as a threat because he
"rapidly" removed his hand from his pocket, despite the fact
that they instructed him to do so. The officer who fired the
shots has since been placed on administrative leave,
according to the newspaper.

News of Smith's killing sparked protests across the
community.

" ...Once again, it's clear that police will see whatever
they want to see in order to justify violence against people
of color," Dave Newlin, a local activist with Utahns Against
Police Brutality, told The Salt Lake Tribune via email.

"I see a terrified young man with his hand in the air,
desperately and clearly trying to put up his other hand
exactly as police have demanded," Newlin added. "I see
someone who's trapped after running for his life, who knows
that at any moment, the violent racism of Utah's police
could take his life, as indeed it does."
Posted on: def2.i2p

Re: ACAB

<petqo9$ev2$1@def3.retrobbs.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=399&group=rocksolid.shared.news#399

From: guest@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Guest)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2018 06:15:36 -0400
 by: Guest - Sat, 2 Jun 2018 10:15 UTC

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/05/31/us/florida-police-shootin
g-four-dollar-jury-award-gregory-hill/index.html

'Black lives don't matter,' lawyer says after jury awards $4
in police killing

By Eliott C. McLaughlin, CNN

Updated 1407 GMT (2207 HKT) June 1, 2018
Jury awards $4 in police killing

(CNN)A Florida family is "heartbroken" after a jury awarded
$4 in damages for funeral expenses and pain and suffering in
a case in which a St. Lucie County deputy fatally shot a
father of three through his garage door, the family's
attorney said Thursday.
Deputy Christopher Newman killed Gregory Hill Jr., 30, in
2014 after a mother picking up her child at a school across
the street called in a noise complaint.
Newman and another deputy responded to Hill's home, Hill
partially opened the garage door, closed it and Newman fired
four times, hitting Hill three times, including once in the
head, according to court and police records.

No charges were filed against Newman, who said he shot Hill
because he brandished a handgun. Hill's mother, Viola
Bryant, filed a lawsuit against Newman and Sheriff Ken
Mascara, alleging wrongful death, negligence, excessive
force and violations of Hill's 14th and 15th Amendment
rights.
Bryant also accused a SWAT team that responded to the scene
of firing so much tear gas and causing so much damage to
Hill's one-story home that no one can live in it now.
Read Newman's response
After 10 hours of deliberation last week, a jury found that
Newman was not liable in Hill's death and that Mascara was
1% liable. Hill was 99% responsible for his own death, the
jury ruled, according to court documents.
In deciding damages in the case, the jury awarded Bryant $1
for funeral expenses, and $1 for each child's "loss of
parental companionship, instruction, and guidance and ...
mental pain and suffering," verdict forms show. Hill's
children are 7, 10 and 13.
Division of liability
Because the jury found that Mascara was only 1% responsible,
the verdict was reduced to 4 cents, and then, because the
jury found that Hill was drunk at the time, the final payout
was nothing.
Read the verdict forms
Mascara applauded the verdict, saying, "Newman was placed in
a very difficult situation and like so many fellow law
enforcement officers must do every day, he made the best
decision he could for the safety of his partner, himself and
the public given the circumstances he faced."
Attorney John Phillips, who represents Hill's family, called
the ruling "perplexing" and questioned why the jury would
award $1 for $11,000 in funeral expenses and another dollar
for each child's suffering when it could have simply awarded
no damages.
The jury consisted of one black man, two white men and five
white women, he said.
Court rules forbid him from questioning jurors, so he can't
get the answer to a question that's been dogging him: Were
they trying to send him and the family a message?
"That a black child's pain is only worth a dollar is exactly
the problem with the plight of the African-American right
now. This says, black lives don't matter," he said.
Phillips plans to file a motion for a new trial in US
District Court, and if that's denied, he will take it to the
US 11th Circuit Court of Appeals.
How it began
On January 14, 2014, around 3 p.m., a mother picking up her
child at Frances K. Sweet Elementary School heard loud music
blaring from Hill's home.
Testimony showed Hill was playing Drake's "All Me," a song
rife with F-bombs and N-words. The mother took offense and
called police.
City law prohibits "unnecessary noise" and provides that
offenders get a warning on the first offense in 24 hours and
a citation on the second. A third complaint may result in a
misdemeanor charge. This was Hill's first.
Newman and Deputy Edward Lopez responded and knocked on
Hill's garage door and front door.
Gregory Hill Jr., seen with his daughters and son, Gregory
III, was scheduled to marry his fiance the month after he
was killed
Gregory Hill Jr., seen with his daughters and son, Gregory
III, was scheduled to marry his fiance the month after he
was killed
"After Newman knocked on the doors, the garage door opened
revealing Hill within the comfort of his own garage and
home," the lawsuit alleged. "Upon information and belief,
Deputy Lopez indicated loudly that Hill had a gun and then
the garage door closed. Despite the door being closed,
Newman fired his handgun approximately four times and killed
Hill."
Read the lawsuit for yourself
The bullet from the first shot got stuck in the door,
Phillips said. The second and third hit Hill in the abdomen,
and the fourth struck Hill's head, he said. Lopez did not
open fire.
Not realizing Hill was dead, the deputies called for a SWAT
team and snipers, according to the lawsuit. They kicked in
doors and cut holes in the garage door, the suit claimed.
"Deputies shot tear gas canisters into the Hill home through
many windows while severely damaging the windows and
interior of the home and leaving toxic tear gas residue in
the home," the lawsuit said.
Once inside, officers found Hill dead with an unloaded
handgun in his back pocket, not his hand, court records
show. Toxicology would later show Hill was intoxicated, to
the point he could not legally drive.
Issues pushing attorney to appeal
Thirty witnesses were called during the trial, Phillips
said, some of whom contested Newman's narrative that he saw
a gun and that he demanded Hill drop the weapon before
opening fire.
Among those was Hill's oldest child, 13-year-old Destiny,
who was 9 at the time. She sat on a bench at the school
across the street as the encounter unfolded. She testified
that her dad's hands were empty, according to court
records.
Responding to the lawsuit claim that Hill never raised his
firearm or threatened deputies, Newman retorted simply,
"Denied."
Phillips said he has numerous problems with the court
proceedings, which will help form the basis of his appeal.

Hill's oldest daughter, Destiny, right, testified her
father's hands were empty.
One is what he called the "evasiveness" of a police expert,
who, despite answering defense questions, claimed to be hard
of hearing when Phillips questioned him, the lawyer said.
Phillips also alleged deputies changed their story about how
Hill was holding the gun and whether he aimed it at Lopez,
the other deputy.
He also said there was no blood spatter on the gun, which
seems to back the family's claim that the weapon remained in
Hill's pocket the whole time.
There were issues regarding timing as well, the attorney
said. It was determined that Newman fired all four shots in
less than 1.2 seconds, and an expert said the final shot to
Hill's head would have immediately disabled his motor
capabilities. This raises the question in Phillips' mind:
How did Hill get the gun in his back pocket after he was
shot?
Another factor prompting the attorney to seek a new trial is
that the defense mentioned Hill was on probation for drug
possession, which Phillips feels was meant to vilify Hill,
as Newman had no way of knowing this when he responded.
Hill's probation was also set to "automatically terminate"
11 days before his shooting, he said.
Phillips has handled many high-profile cases, most notably
the Jordan Davis "loud music" trial in Jacksonville, and
said he has rarely been left so disturbed by a jury's
findings. He said he will be filing his motion for a new
trial in the same federal court in coming weeks.
"This one'll haunt me for a long time if we can't get it
reversed," he said.

CNN's Madison Park contributed to this report
Posted on: def2.i2p

Re: ACAB

<pf0pj2$ugk$1@def3.retrobbs.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=400&group=rocksolid.shared.news#400

From: guest@anonymous.com (guest)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2018 15:14:10 +0200
 by: guest - Sun, 3 Jun 2018 13:14 UTC
Attachments: acab2.jpeg (image/jpeg)

but what if you did not have police ....?

Posted on: def3.i2p

Attachments: acab2.jpeg
Re: ACAB

<pf0ql4$lvi$1@novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=401&group=rocksolid.shared.news#401

From: guest@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Guest)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2018 13:32:20 +0000
 by: Guest - Sun, 3 Jun 2018 13:32 UTC

that pic sums it up.
Posted on RetroBBS II

Re: ACAB

<pf99gm$4jq$1@novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=402&group=rocksolid.shared.news#402

From: guest@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Guest)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2018 18:35:02 +0000
 by: Guest - Wed, 6 Jun 2018 18:35 UTC

The police will see to your wellbeing, even if this costs
your life:

https://theintercept.com/2018/06/05/chelsea-manning-video-tw
itter-police-mental-health/

Police Broke Into Chelsea Manning's Home with Guns Drawn --
in a "Wellness Check"
Micah Lee, Alice Speri

June 5 2018, 2:13 p.m.

Shortly after Chelsea Manning posted what appeared to be two
suicidal tweets on May 27, police broke into her home with
their weapons drawn as if conducting a raid, in what is
known as a "wellness" or "welfare check" on a person
experiencing a mental health crisis. Manning, a former Army
intelligence analyst turned whistleblower and U.S. Senate
candidate, was not at home, but video obtained by The
Intercept shows officers pointing their guns as they
searched her empty apartment.

The footage, captured by a security camera, shows an officer
with the Montgomery County Police Department in Bethesda,
Maryland, knocking on Manning's door. When no one responds,
the officer pops the lock, and three officers enter the home
with their guns drawn, while a fourth points a Taser. The
Intercept is publishing this video with Manning's
permission.

"This is what a police state looks like," Manning said.
"Guns drawn during a 'wellness' check."

Welfare checks like this, usually prompted by calls placed
to 911 by concerned friends or family, too often end with
police harming -- or even killing -- the person they were
dispatched to check on.

Manning was out of the country at the time of the incident,
said Janus Cassandra, a close friend who was on the phone
with her that night. "If Chelsea had been home when these
cops arrived with guns drawn, she would be dead."

Reached for comment, Montgomery County Police Captain Paul
Starks at first questioned the authenticity of the footage.
"Could someone send you a video that is inaccurate?" he
asked, before changing course to, "How do you know nobody
was home?"

Starks ultimately admitted that police conducted the check
at Manning's home after receiving calls from "concerned
parties" who had seen her tweets. He said officers looked up
her address and used a master key to get into the building,
and that when they realized she wasn't there they tried to
locate her by using her phone. Starks did not reply to
follow-up questions about how they attempted to track her
phone.

"They responded to the address to check her welfare," Starks
said. "Once inside the residence they realized that the
residence did not match the photo that was posted on
Twitter. ... We tried to determine where she may be by
attempting to use her phone but the phone was powered off
and they weren't able to leave a message."

Starks said that the decision to draw weapons "depends on
the officer" who "makes the decision based on circumstances
that are affecting that officer in that specific situation."
He added that the department has a dedicated crisis
intervention unit, and that all officers in the department
receive 40 hours of training in "dealing with people who may
be having emotional episodes or issues," but he failed to
indicate whether the department sets guidelines on how to
conduct welfare checks.

"They don't know what kind of circumstances they are
entering when they enter a home," Starks said, increasingly
flustered. "The fact that a weapon is drawn doesn't mean
that they are going to shoot it."

"Do you know what was going on in that apartment that night?
No. Not until you open the door and go in... We respond to
hundreds of thousands of calls each year. Many of them are
not what is phoned in."
Join Our Newsletter
Original reporting. Fearless journalism. Delivered to you.
I'm in

The problem, mental health experts say, is that police
should not be the ones to check on suicidal people in the
first place. In 2017, mental illness played a role in a
quarter of 987 police killings, according to a tally by the
Washington Post. People of color experiencing mental health
crises are particularly at risk.

In 2018 alone, police have shot and killed at least 64
people who were suicidal or had other mental health issues,
according to the American Civil Liberties Union. "This
January, Alejandro Valdez was suicidal and threatening to
kill himself. The police shot and killed him," Susan Mizner,
the group's disability counsel, wrote in a recent post. "In
February, Orbel Nazarians was suicidal and threatening
himself with a knife. The police shot and killed him. In
March, Jihad Merrick was suicidal and pointing a gun at his
head. The police shot and killed him. In April, Benjamin
Evans was making suicidal comments. Police shot and killed
him."

"There is absolutely no excuse for sending armed police to
the home of someone who is having a suicidal episode," said
Cassandra. "As we've seen countless times, cops know that no
matter what happens, they will be shielded from any
accountability whatsoever."

"It's not necessary for police to be the first responders
when somebody calls 911 and says they're suicidal," said
Carl Takei, a senior ACLU attorney focusing on policing, in
an interview. "In the same way that if I were to call 911
and say I'm having a heart attack, I would expect a medical
response. As a society, we should expect a mental health
response when somebody calls 911 and says they are suicidal,
rather than dispatching somebody who is armed with a pistol
and most of whose training is directed at enforcing criminal
law and how to use force with people whom they suspect are
breaking the law."

When police do become the first responders in mental health
crises, Takei added, the ways in which they handle them vary
greatly between departments.

"Some have specially trained crisis intervention teams that
are dispatched when there's a call involving a mental health
crisis; some departments provide some level of crisis
intervention training to all officers; some departments
provide no training at all," said Takei. "And, of course, if
a department provides no training or very little training on
how to deal with situations involving a person in a mental
health crisis, the officers are going to default to the
training they received, which is very much based on a
command-and-control culture."

Manning was accused of sending hundreds of thousands of
military and diplomatic documents to WikiLeaks, exposing,
among other things, evidence of numerous civilian deaths in
Afghanistan and abuse by U.S.-backed Iraqi forces, as well
as information about Guantánamo Bay detainees.

In 2013, she was convicted of six counts of espionage by a
military court, but acquitted of "aiding the enemy" -- the
equivalent of a treason charge in U.S. military court. She
was sentenced to 35 years in prison, but former President
Barack Obama commuted her sentence before leaving office.
Last week, a military court upheld her conviction, which she
had appealed on First Amendment grounds.

In January, Manning announced her candidacy for the U.S.
Senate in Maryland.

Manning attempted suicide at least twice while in prison,
where she had been repeatedly held in solitary confinement,
including as punishment for one of those attempts. Last
week, she alarmed her many supporters when she posted tweets
suggesting suicidal intentions. In one, she posted a photo
that appeared to show her standing on the ledge of a
building, captioned with the words "im sorry." Manning
quickly deleted her tweets, but not before a number of
people who had read them called police to check on her.

"Chelsea is still struggling to recover from the years of
torture and mistreatment that she endured in prison, even as
she continues to use her position to fight for what she
believes in," said Cassandra, her friend.

"I hope people can understand that she needs space to heal,"
she added.

James Drylie, a former police officer who teaches criminal
justice at Kean University in New Jersey and wrote a book on
the so-called suicide by cop phenomenon, told The Intercept
that while a lot of variables determine how police execute a
wellness check, what happened at Manning's home is not
uncommon.

"They have to make sure there is no threat," he added. "What
you want to try to see is, what prompted them to think that
this person may have been a threat to the officers?"

Drylie, who as an officer had a rifle pointed at him as he
conducted a check on an individual reported to be suicidal,
conceded that an aggressive police intervention would often
only escalate a difficult situation -- "Those situations
always turn out to be very, very bad," he said. But Drylie
believes that police need to be there when a suicidal person
is posing a threat to others, whether family or mental
health professionals, and argued for better training, rather
than removing police from wellness checks altogether.

"Really, one of the best ways to be prepared for all that is
through training," he said, citing costs as a reason why so
many departments aren't better equipped to handle mental
health crises. "I don't think we do a good enough job."

Click here to read the complete article
Re: ACAB

<224682347f1c31669a292f98cfb0098b$1@rslight.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=405&group=rocksolid.shared.news#405

From: no_reply@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2018 10:31:08 -0000 (UTC)
logging-data="7583"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.com"
 by: AnonUser - Thu, 21 Jun 2018 10:31 UTC

We need police but they need to be held to laws just like everybody else.
They get to act like stormtroppers because they know they won't get
punished.
Posted on Rocksolid Light.

Re: ACAB

<06647dfb369bd40fe8f9a97e2@def4.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=407&group=rocksolid.shared.news#407

From: anon@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2018 21:58:34+0000
 by: anon - Thu, 21 Jun 2018 21:58 UTC

we need police what for ?

Posted on def4.i2p

Re: ACAB

<pgo4r8$3bc$1@def3.retrobbs.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=410&group=rocksolid.shared.news#410

From: guest@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Guest)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2018 09:03:35 -0400
 by: Guest - Sun, 24 Jun 2018 13:03 UTC

leaking on the ICE forces:

http://tracker2.postman.i2p/index.php?view=TorrentDetail&id=47798

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:352d17c97e56d418e2af561b3326fac8b7b7bca8
&dn=List+of+ICE+Employees&tr=http://tracker2.postman.i2p/announce.php

This is an incomplete list of people who work for ICE
(United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement). This
list was created by scanning LinkedIn for people who listed
themselves as ICE employees. The script used to generate the
list is also included.

To view the list, open the file called index.html in the
ice-linkedin folder.

ICE is the organization responsible for deporting so-called
"illegal immigrants" from the United States. Many of these
immigrants were fleeing violence in their home country, so
they did not have the luxury of waiting their turn to enter
the US. (It should also be noted that in some cases, these
countries descended into violence as a consequence of US
"regime change.") But due to xenophobia, these people are
now at risk of being torn away from the new lives they have
built for themselves, and sent back to the countries they
came from.

This list is provided so that anyone at risk of deportation
can check to see if one of their neighbors is an ICE agent,
and take the appropriate precautions. It is also useful as a
way to "name and shame" those who are responsible for these
deportations. Hopefully, this will be of value to somebody.
Posted on: def2.i2p

Re: ACAB

<pifi40$jj1$1@def3.retrobbs.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=422&group=rocksolid.shared.news#422

From: guest@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Guest)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2018 09:27:27 -0400
 by: Guest - Sun, 15 Jul 2018 13:27 UTC

Learn about a campaign against secret police forces, and how a cosmetic company joined the struggle. Lovely.

https://mobile.twitter.com/hashtag/spycops
https://beta.lush.com/en/article/spy-cops
https://www.elle.com/beauty/a21098901/spycop-lush-cosmetics-explainer/

Also, learn how secret police spies are trained to infiltrate groups, going so far to use sexual relationships as a
front for their activities:
(leaked training manual):

https://www.ucpi.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/20180319-TC-Documents_Final_Version.pdf
Posted on: def3.i2p

Re: ACAB

<cf010cee68237ad20ff49755619a2073@def4.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=440&group=rocksolid.shared.news#440

From: anon@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2018 16:36:20+0000
 by: anon - Tue, 7 Aug 2018 16:36 UTC

One time is accidental, two times is suspicious, three times is ... ?

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/08/portland-protestor-seriously-wounded-flash-bang-grenade-fired-cops-clearing-way-alt-right-marchers/

undreds of far-right protesters from as far away as Florida gathered on the waterfront in Portland, Oregon for a “Freedom March” on Saturday. Dozens of those interviewed said they were there to utilize their “freedom of speech.” To do so, they came armed with bats, weighted fighting gloves, wooden poles, canisters of mace, knives, shields and body armor.

The police had declared a day earlier that all such weapons were illegal in Portland parks. But no effort was witnessed to confiscate the weapons or arrest the weapon-holders.
SPONSORED

For hours, four lines of riot police kept the far right separated from a much larger crowd of anti-fascists. The Portland police seemingly wanted to avoid a replay of June 30, when they took a hands-off approach to another far-right rally that quickly degenerated into a violent brawl of about 100 people, resulting in five hospitalizations.

This time it was the police who sent protesters to the hospital. Later in the day, when the far right decided to march into the city, police decided to sweep the streets of counter-protesters. Neither side had permits, but police provided protection to the far right to march for two blocks.

To clear the way, police shot dozens of flash-bang grenades at more than 1,000 people who had gathered to oppose what they say are white supremacists.

According to the Oregon ACLU, “To our knowledge, no other police force in America uses crowd control weapons with the regularity of the Portland Police Bureau.”

Flash-bang grenades are explosives that are potentially lethal, according to the Sandia National Laboratories.

Portland police could be seen using grenade launchers to fire the canisters that tore through the air and exploded above protesters’ heads hundreds of feet away.

According to the Rosehips Medics, a collective that provides first aid during street protests, at least three people were hit by the flash-bang grenades.

Two of those hit were sent to the hospital. Raw Story has obtained exclusive photos of some of the injuries. One man was sent to the hospital with a head wound. According to a source in contact with the injured man and his girlfriend, his life was saved only by the helmet he was wearing.

Photos show a heavy-duty bicycle helmet punctured by a flash-bang grenade canister. On the other side of the helmet blood can be seen. Flesh and blood are massed on the man’s head in a different photo as he wears a neck brace and is treated by medical personnel.

According to a text message from his girlfriend, a trauma nurse at the hospital said, “The hit would have been lethal if he wasn’t wearing a helmet.”

Posted on def4.i2p

Re: ACAB

<8f84dd69b8a132728a581cd2e61313ab@def4.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=441&group=rocksolid.shared.news#441

From: anon@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2018 10:40:59+0000
 by: anon - Sat, 11 Aug 2018 10:40 UTC

a interesting looking torrent about the subject:

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:0b4a4143f684c50f005c3005ab16202016fb170f&dn=Our+Enemies+in+Blue+---+Kristian+Williams&tr=http://tracker2.postman.i2p/announce.php

http://tracker2.postman.i2p/index.php?view=TorrentDetail&id=48293

In this extensively revised and updated edition of his seminal study of policing in the United States, Kristian Williams shows that police brutality isn't an anomaly, but is built into the very meaning of law enforcement in the United States. From antebellum slave patrols to today's unarmed youth being gunned down in the streets, "peace keepers" have always used force to shape behavior, repress dissent, and defend the powerful. Our Enemies in Blue is a well-researched page-turner that both makes historical sense of this legalized social pathology and maps out possible alternatives. (2015)

This text is in .epub format. If another format is desired, try converting with Calibre (calibre-ebook.org), an open-source tool for reading, converting, and managing ebooks.

Posted on def4.i2p

Re: ACAB

<2f2c1b9c003033e39545312cc1212269@def4.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=445&group=rocksolid.shared.news#445

From: anon@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2018 23:50:44+0000
 by: anon - Fri, 17 Aug 2018 23:50 UTC

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/402405-georgia-police-defend-tasing-87-year-old-woman-who-spoke-poor

teaser:

“Why did we tase an 87-year-old woman?” he added. “I guess in that circumstance, I am glad I was there and saw it firsthand and understand why it occurred. An 87-year-old woman with a knife still has the ability to hurt an officer.”

Posted on def4.i2p

Re: ACAB

<2001685e3715d1016009c24e25921903@def4.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=473&group=rocksolid.shared.news#473

From: anon@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2018 21:02:27+0000
 by: anon - Mon, 10 Sep 2018 21:02 UTC

This is unreal:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/8xvzwp/baltimore-cops-carried-toy-guns-to-plant-on-people-they-shot-trial-reveals-vgtrn

Baltimore Cops Carried Toy Guns to Plant on People They Shot, Trial Reveals
One officer involved in the city's massive corruption scandal said officers kept the replicas "in case we accidentally hit somebody or got into a shootout, so we could plant them."

Last week, the beginning of an explosive corruption trial involving eight members of Baltimore's elite Gun Trace Task Force revealed that a handful of Baltimore cops allegedly kept fake guns in their patrol cars to plant on innocent people—a failsafe they could use if they happened to shoot an unarmed suspect, the Baltimore Sun reports.

Detective Maurice Ward, who's already pleaded guilty to corruption charges, testified that he and his partners were told to carry the replicas and BB guns "in case we accidentally hit somebody or got into a shootout, so we could plant them." The directive allegedly came from the team's sergeant, Wayne Jenkins, the Washington Post reports. Though Ward didn't say whether or not the tactic was ever used, Detective Marcus Taylor—another cop swept up in the scandal—was carrying a fake gun almost identical to his service weapon when he was arrested last year, according to the Sun.

The revelation is just one of many egregious abuses that have come out of the sprawling trial that the Sun has called "Baltimore’s biggest police corruption scandal in memory." Prosecutors say the squad, which was tasked with getting illegal guns off the streets, abused its power by robbing suspects and innocent people, raiding homes without warrants, and selling confiscated drugs, among other crimes.

But the BB gun testimony is particularly disturbing in light of 12-year-old Tamir Rice's death in 2014, the 13-year-old in Baltimore who was shot twice by cops in 2016 after he allegedly sprinted from them with a replica gun in his hand, and the 86 people fatally shot by police in 2015 and 2016 who were spotted carrying toy guns.

Six of the eight task force members charged in the corruption scandal have pleaded guilty to racketeering charges, but Taylor and Detective Daniel Hersl have pleaded not guilty. They're currently on trial while several of their former partners testify against them.

Follow Drew Schwartz on Twitter.

Posted on def4.i2p