From: usenet@novabbs.org (rslight rss feeds)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.tech
Subject: Planet Debian
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 08:25:04 +0000
 by: rslight rss feeds - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 08:25 UTC

Jonathan Dowland: hyperlinked PDF planner
https://jmtd.net/log/planner/
April 29, 2022, 9:29 PM
The Year page
A day page
I've been having reasonable success with time blocking, a technique
I learned from Cal Newport's writings,
in particular Deep Work. I'd been doing it on paper for a while, but
I wanted to try and move to a digital solution.
There's a cottage
industry of people
making (and selling) various types of diary and planner as PDF files for use on
tablets such as the Remarkable. Some of these use
PDF hyperlinks to greatly improve navigating around. This one from Clo...
--------------------
Steinar H. Gunderson: Should we stop teaching the normal distribution?
http://blog.sesse.net/blog/tech/2022-04-29-19-59_should_we_stop_teaching_the_normal_distribution.html
April 29, 2022, 6:30 PM
I guess Betteridge's law of headlines
gives you the answer, but bear with me. :-)
Like most engineers, I am a layperson in statistics; I had some in high
school, then an intro course in university and then used it in a couple
of random courses (like speech recognition). (I also took a multivariate
statistics course on my own after I had graduated.) But pretty much every practical
tool I ever learned was, eventually, centered around the normal distribution;
we learned about Student's t-test
in v...
--------------------
Holger Levsen: 20220429-Debian-Reunion-Hamburg-2022
http://layer-acht.org/thinking/blog/20220429-Debian-Reunion-Hamburg-2022/
April 29, 2022, 12:34 PM
Debian Reunion Hamburg 2022 from May 23 to 30
This is just a quick reminder for the Debian Reunion Hamburg 2022 happening in a bit more than 3 weeks.
So far 43 people have registered and thus there's still some on site accomodation available.
There's no real deadline for registration, however if you register after May 1st you might not
get a t-shirt in your prefered size.
Also: if you attend to give a presentation but haven't replied to the CfP, please do so.
The wiki page linked above has a...
--------------------
Russ Allbery: Review: Interesting Times
https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/reviews/books/0-06-227629-8.html
April 29, 2022, 2:50 AM
Review: Interesting Times, by Terry Pratchett

Series:
Discworld #17

Publisher:
Harper

Copyright:
1994

Printing:
February 2014

ISBN:
0-06-227629-8

Format:
Mass market

Pages:
399

Interesting Times is the seventeenth Discworld novel and certainly
not the place to start. At the least, you will probably want to read
The Colour of Magic and
The Light Fantastic before this book,
since it's a sequel to...
Jonathan McDowell: Resizing consoles automatically
https://www.earth.li/~noodles/blog/2022/04/resizing-consoles-automatically.html
April 28, 2022, 7:03 PM
I have 2 very useful shell scripts related to resizing consoles. The first is imaginatively called resize and just configures the terminal to be the requested size, neatly resizing an xterm or gnome-terminal:
#!/bin/sh
# resize &lt;rows&gt; &lt;columns&gt;
/bin/echo -e '