From: retro.guy@retrobbs.synchro.net.remove-ulq-this (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.freenet
Subject: Re: Posting in FMS (Freenet) forums
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 20:54:34 -0700
To: Retro Guy
 by: Retro Guy - Sat, 11 Nov 2017 03:54 UTC

To: Retro Guy
On 09/20/2017 02:08 AM, Retro Guy wrote:
> [...]
> responded.
>
> A: The first time you post in the Freenet forum, an FMS "Identity" is
> created for you. This identity cannot be seen by other FMS users until
> it is "announced". I have automated a way to announce identities, but it
> is no faster than the manual way intended by the FMS creators.
>
> This "delay" is by design. It is meant to avoid the problems in
> Freenet's Frost forums, where spam and dos are a way of life. The
> thought is that if you have to put a lot of effort into creating an
> identity, it won't be worth the effort. Also, identities can be blocked
> by users if/when they see you spamming the forums.
>
> So, you just have to wait maybe 12-48 hours or so for you first post to
> be seen in FMS.
>
> Q: Does every post take so long to show up in FMS?
>
> A: No. The more you post after your first post, it gets much quicker.
> You may eventually start to see replies even within an hour after a
> while, unless you're a spammer, then you'll just get blocked.
>
> Q: Why are all my posts double posts in the Freenet forums?
>
> A: When you post, the forum software you're posting in saves, shows and
> propagates your post to the rest of the network. When you eventually see
> the second copy of your post, you then know that it has been shown in
> FMS because you now "see" it (it was actually returned from Freenet).
>
> This will not change, it's a technical matter of how we integrate into
> the Freenet FMS forum software.
>
> Q: What do you mean, my "Identity"
>
> A: An "Identity" in FMS is basically your username. Every username is
> different, and yours is yours (see important info in next answer). This
> is not you, it's just the name you use to post.
>
> Q: Are my posts anonymous?
>
> A: Somewhat. If you connect to the rocksolid network within Tor or I2P,
> it is as anonymous as those networks. Then it is passed into Freenet,
> and still you are somewhat anonymous.
>
> Unless you give away personal information or hints, it's somewhat
> anonymous.
>
> It will be clear to anyone paying attention that you are posting via the
> rocksolid network, due to TOS for the network that require each node to
> identify itself (which node it is) in every post. This node identity
> will ride along with your post.
>
> ALSO, AND THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT: Your identity is not secure to you
> only, as it would be if you create it yourself and post directly into
> FMS. The operator of RetroBBS (Retro Guy, aka me), makes this
> integration between networks possible for rocksolid, and has no real
> choice but to end up with access to your FMS identity. I have no
> interest in posting as you, but you should be aware that I could. I want
> users to be fully aware of this. I will never compromise your
> "identity", but it would be unfair of me to not make it clear that it is
> accessible to me.
>
> I hope this answers some questions about posting in FMS (Freenet),

Anonymous posting has been enabled on RetroBBS II. If you post without
logging in, your post will appear in FMS (and everywhere else) as
'Anonymous'.

Retro Guy
--- Synchronet 3.17a-Linux NewsLink 1.108
Posted on RetroBBS

Posting in FMS (Freenet) forums

<59C22FF2.3.rs.freenet@retrobbs.synchro.net>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=55&group=rocksolid.shared.freenet#55

From: retro.guy@retrobbs.synchro.net (Retro Guy)
To: rocksolid.shared.freenet
Subject: Posting in FMS (Freenet) forums
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 02:08:05 -0700
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.freenet
 by: Retro Guy - Wed, 20 Sep 2017 09:08 UTC

Now that reading and posting to FMS is working, I'd like to explain some
things about how it works and how that causes some things to look like
it's not working properly. Here it is in faq form:

Q: When I made my first post to FMS, it took like 3 days before anyone
responded.

A: The first time you post in the Freenet forum, an FMS "Identity" is
created for you. This identity cannot be seen by other FMS users until
it is "announced". I have automated a way to announce identities, but it
is no faster than the manual way intended by the FMS creators.

This "delay" is by design. It is meant to avoid the problems in
Freenet's Frost forums, where spam and dos are a way of life. The
thought is that if you have to put a lot of effort into creating an
identity, it won't be worth the effort. Also, identities can be blocked
by users if/when they see you spamming the forums.

So, you just have to wait maybe 12-48 hours or so for you first post to
be seen in FMS.

Q: Does every post take so long to show up in FMS?

A: No. The more you post after your first post, it gets much quicker.
You may eventually start to see replies even within an hour after a
while, unless you're a spammer, then you'll just get blocked.

Q: Why are all my posts double posts in the Freenet forums?

A: When you post, the forum software you're posting in saves, shows and
propagates your post to the rest of the network. When you eventually see
the second copy of your post, you then know that it has been shown in
FMS because you now "see" it (it was actually returned from Freenet).

This will not change, it's a technical matter of how we integrate into
the Freenet FMS forum software.

Q: What do you mean, my "Identity"

A: An "Identity" in FMS is basically your username. Every username is
different, and yours is yours (see important info in next answer). This
is not you, it's just the name you use to post.

Q: Are my posts anonymous?

A: Somewhat. If you connect to the rocksolid network within Tor or I2P,
[...]

Re: Posting in FMS (Freenet) forums

<59C2BD50.4.rs.freenet@retrobbs.synchro.net>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=56&group=rocksolid.shared.freenet#56

From: wed@retrobbs.synchro.net (wed)
To: Retro Guy
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 19:11:12 -0700
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.freenet
 by: wed - Thu, 21 Sep 2017 02:11 UTC

> [...]

> rocksolid network, due to TOS for the network that require each node to
> identify itself (which node it is) in every post. This node identity
> will ride along with your post.

> ALSO, AND THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT: Your identity is not secure to you
> only, as it would be if you create it yourself and post directly into
> FMS. The operator of RetroBBS (Retro Guy, aka me), makes this
> integration between networks possible for rocksolid, and has no real
> choice but to end up with access to your FMS identity. I have no
> interest in posting as you, but you should be aware that I could. I want
> users to be fully aware of this. I will never compromise your
> "identity", but it would be unfair of me to not make it clear that it is
> accessible to me.

> I hope this answers some questions about posting in FMS (Freenet),

Thanks for the explanation, this is clear. You have increased the number of
groups a lot, right ? Any more to come, or will that be it ?

Re: Posting in FMS (Freenet) forums

<59C2EB0F.5.rs.freenet@retrobbs.synchro.net>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=57&group=rocksolid.shared.freenet#57

From: retro.guy@retrobbs.synchro.net (Retro Guy)
To: wed
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 15:26:26 -0700
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.freenet
 by: Retro Guy - Wed, 20 Sep 2017 22:26 UTC

On 09/20/2017 07:11 PM, wed wrote:
> [...]
> > will ride along with your post.
>
> > ALSO, AND THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT: Your identity is not secure to you
> > only, as it would be if you create it yourself and post directly into
> > FMS. The operator of RetroBBS (Retro Guy, aka me), makes this
> > integration between networks possible for rocksolid, and has no real
> > choice but to end up with access to your FMS identity. I have no
> > interest in posting as you, but you should be aware that I could. I want
> > users to be fully aware of this. I will never compromise your
> > "identity", but it would be unfair of me to not make it clear that it is
> > accessible to me.
>
> > I hope this answers some questions about posting in FMS (Freenet),
>
> > Retro Guy
> Thanks for the explanation, this is clear. You have increased the number of
> groups a lot, right ? Any more to come, or will that be it ?

I'd like to put together a list of any group changes so you and I can
consider them. I need to read through the list in FMS and see what else
we might add.

I'd like to keep a full list of rocksolid groups for us and any nodes to
reference, and keep that list up to date.

Re: Posting in FMS (Freenet) forums

<59C3417D.6.rs.freenet@retrobbs.synchro.net>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=58&group=rocksolid.shared.freenet#58

From: wed@retrobbs.synchro.net (wed)
To: Retro Guy
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2017 04:35:09 -0700
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.freenet
 by: wed - Thu, 21 Sep 2017 11:35 UTC

> [...]

> > > choice but to end up with access to your FMS identity. I have no
> > > interest in posting as you, but you should be aware that I could. I
> > > want users to be fully aware of this. I will never compromise your
> > > "identity", but it would be unfair of me to not make it clear that it
> > > is accessible to me.

> > > I hope this answers some questions about posting in FMS (Freenet),

> > > Retro Guy
> > Thanks for the explanation, this is clear. You have increased the number
> > of groups a lot, right ? Any more to come, or will that be it ?

> I'd like to put together a list of any group changes so you and I can
> consider them. I need to read through the list in FMS and see what else
> we might add.

> I'd like to keep a full list of rocksolid groups for us and any nodes to
> reference, and keep that list up to date.

Sounds good to me. Why not put that in a thread in retrobbs, that can be
updated each there is a change ?