The savior becomes the victim.

interests / News / Re: Starbucks to block porn on wifi

SubjectAuthor
* Starbucks to block porn on wifiAnonUser
+- Starbucks to block porn on wifi564643
+- Nine Inch NailsAnonymous
+* Starbucks to block porn on wifianon
|`- Starbucks to block porn on wifiAnonUser
+* Starbucks to block porn on wifianon
|`- Starbucks to block porn on wifiAnonUser
`- Starbucks to block porn on wifianon

1
Re: Starbucks to block porn on wifi

<bde97837909c11a1303a16c80454e248@def4>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=21&group=rocksolid.shared.news#21

From: 564643@anon.com (564643)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Subject: Re: Starbucks to block porn on wifi
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2019 15:57:42+0000
 by: 564643 - Sat, 2 Feb 2019 15:57 UTC

turns out it is not single companies, but all the tech giants that freak out when you even go close to the subject. since when was sex a bad thing ? at the same time, they partly tolerate the disgusting group of people who think hitler has the right idea. fitting somehow....

here is the article, it is worth reading:

https://www.engadget.com/2019/01/31/sex-censorship-killed-internet-fosta-sesta/

How sex censorship killed the internet we love
Can’t even read it for the articles anymore.
Violet Blue, @violetblue
01.31.19 in Sex

When was the last time you thought of the internet as a weird and wonderful place?

I can feel my anxiety climbing as I try to find current news stories about sex. Google News shows one lonely result for "porn," an article that is 26 days old. I log out of everything and try different browsers because this can't be right.

I pop over to Yahoo News and try the same searches, exhaling relief to see 892 news articles for "porn" from outlets ranging from Associated Press to Rolling Stone. They're there. It's just that Google's 2018 algorithm upgrade filters out news with the word "porn" in it. Like articles about porn performer suicide, tips for revenge porn victims, parents who oppose porn website age-verification (turns out, today's parents are more afraid of data collection than their kids watching porn).

Stories with the word "porn" in them are important because they're about censorship, sexual health, business trends, sex work, politics, gender and women. They're about people.

But not for the world's most popular search engine. Google's war on sex took root in 2011 when Google Plus launched with a strict no-sex policy. In 2013, the company enacted a porn purge across Blogger, and Android's Google Keyboard was updated to exclude more than1,400 "inappropriate" words, like "lovemaking," "condom," and "STI." In 2014 Google Play banned sex-themed apps, and an algorithm change in Search destroyed organic results for sex websites. That same year Google made changes to its AdWords policies to prohibit sex-related advertising.

When Google launched in 1998, Nerve was one of the internet's leading websites. It was an online magazine about sex with articles and featured erotic artists, busy personals, packed forums. It published terrific sex books by writers and photographers, and had a wildly popular free blogging service (one of the first). From 1997 through the early '00s, Nerve was the fun, exciting, sex-positive place to be and hang out, bursting with creative communities, optimism, and hope that a vital future was being explored.

For many, Nerve represented a new era in which we could finally, freely talk about sex, gender, orientation, sex culture -- and exchange ideas. Thanks to Nerve's "literate smut" tagline and ethos, private acts of creation could make tortured people feel valid and whole. People don't make sites like Nerve anymore. No one can.
When was the last time the internet made you feel good?

I can feel my anxiety climbing as I search for art and photography. I am looking for black erotic art, because this kind of visibility matters to me. Like the millions of people who enjoyed Tumblr, I do not want the stereotypes and advertising assault of commercial porn 'tube' sites, which performers say profit unfairly off their hard work.

We used to have a living, breathing museum-of-sex culture online. But in December 2018, Tumblr banned and removed adult content from its service. Estimated loss: at least 12.5 million blogs.

When Tumblr started in 2007, it made people feel like the battle to defend erotic art as socially and sexually valid was won, and the necessity of sexual communities was cemented. We found out so much, like that transgender people had hot sex and great erotic art too, and this was ... just incredibly cool.

When Tumblr erased millions of sex blogs and communities overnight, many lamented that without the website they would've been lost and suicidal trying to figure out their sexuality. When I worked the sex crisis call lines in 2005, before Tumblr, our most common call was from teens in abstinence-only education states who did not know how to prevent sexual disease, infections, injuries or pregnancy — and youth who were terrified they weren't "normal."

The kids we spoke to were afraid and alone. At the call center, we sometimes doubled as a suicide crisis line (the office next to ours was, in fact, the suicide hotline). I can tell you for a fact that Tumblr helped a generation of frightened, isolated kids trying to figure out their sexual identity. Now Tumblr is a sex-free haven for white nationalists and Nazis.

In 1997, Ann Powers wrote an essay called "In Defense of Nasty Art." It took progressives to task for not defending rap music because it was "obscene" and sexually graphic. Powers puts it mildly when she states, "Their apprehension makes the fight to preserve freedom of expression seem hollow." This is an old problem. So it's no surprise that the same websites forbidding, banning, and blocking "sexually suggestive" art content also claim to care about free speech.

Like Facebook. Artnet wrote last March that Facebook's brutal art censorship includes the Venus of Willendorf, Gustave Courbet's The Origin of the World, "the banning of Gerhard Richter's blurred rendering of a nude descending a staircase, Evelyne Axell's pop art painting of a woman licking an ice cream cone, and Danish Modernist Edvard Eriksen's beloved, more than 100-year-old public sculpture The Little Mermaid."

So we tried to post the photo of this potato on Instagram. AND IT GOT CENSORED

Hey @instagram Since when potatoes are not allowed on your platform?? #Instagram #censorship #potatoban pic.twitter.com/q15WAFNCiR
— Sex School (@SexSchoolHub) January 26, 2019

The erasure of erotic art, to me, represents a crisis point of culture, of democracy. Art effects the greatest change and empowerment when it's transgressive, scandalous, nude, erotic. Visibility matters. Art is where minds are opened, ideas challenged, viewpoints explored, where people who hate have a chance to be changed, even if for a minute.
When was the last time the internet gave you hope?

I can feel my anxiety climbing as I look for the voices of adult performers and sex workers online. The silence is so overwhelming it's suffocating. In 2018, an estimated 42 million sex workers worldwide were evicted from the open internet and essentially went into hiding with the passage of FOSTA-SESTA.

The censorship wave was unprecedented in internet history. Twitter, Facebook, and all major web service providers immediately changed their rules to tightly police what was posted and messaged about sexual content, by anyone. Entire online communities were kicked off services like Cloudflare (55,000 users of Switter), and hundreds of thousands were disappeared by the shuttering of safety forums and advertising-screening services. Reddit removed entire communities overnight. Recently, YouTube banned videos where people simply talk to sex workers.

The voices erased are the voices of women. Of gay and straight men, transgender people, the voices of people of color. These populations make up the majority of sex workers. So in America, FOSTA is analogous to how the World Health Organization is categorized as "pornography" in web filters used in Kuwait and the UAE.

The law legalized sex censorship online. FOSTA was pushed by Sheryl Sandberg and Facebook — who used their support of FOSTA to appease Sen. John Thune (R-South Dakota). Thune pushes the false narrative that Facebook censors conservatives and previously said he wanted to regulate the company. FOSTA falsely states that consensual adult sex work is the same as sex trafficking, and was opposed by the Department of Justice, the ACLU, the EFF, numerous online free-speech organizations and actual sex-trafficking organizations.

FOSTA claimed to stop sex trafficking and has utterly backfired. San Francisco just released its 2018 crime statistics. The only violent crime that increased in San Francisco in 2018 was "human trafficking" — up by an astonishing 170%. These are not sex-worker arrests, which fall under a "vice" subcategory.

Before FOSTA, the voices of sex workers were readily available. Anyone could ask sex workers who they are, why they make the choices they do and what actual sex workers think about doing sex work.

It was an incredible moment because before free blogging and social-media sites, the only way we heard the voices of sex workers and porn performers was through media outlets that portrayed them as broken rape victims -- or sex-trafficked children. Adults having consensual sex for entertainment were not given a voice unless it validated a narrative of sin, of pain, of regret.

Now all the women (and LGBTQ, PoC) who could speak truth to any of this have been driven underground, silenced by algorithms, bans, and FOSTA-empowered 4chan troll brigades.
When was the last time you felt free on the internet?

I can feel my anxiety climbing as I type. Starbucks is filtering its WiFi with a secret porn blacklist. Patreon, Cloudflare, PayPal, Facebook, Instagram, and Square will eject you for getting near a sex business, linking to perceived sex sites, letting the wrong people use your online business.

Facebook recently banned sexual slang; YouTube bans users for sex ed or LGBTQ content because it might be about sex; Twitter has a mysterious sex-shadowban that no one can get a straight answer on. Tumblr can't tell a potato from a boob. Guides on sexual self-censoring are popular — and necessary. Google Drive scans your files and deletes what it believes to be explicit content. Apple just straight-up hates sex.

Click here to read the complete article
Nine Inch Nails

<ne.1465.2p4vy7@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=243&group=rocksolid.shared.news#243

From: poster@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Subject: Nine Inch Nails
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2021 11:13:08 -0800
logging-data="25531"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
 by: Anonymous - Sat, 30 Jan 2021 19:13 UTC

Nine Inch Nails is best band

--
Posted on def2

Starbucks to block porn on wifi

<d9a7e64ad4163e4de6390621c325cf82$1@rslight.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=491&group=rocksolid.shared.news#491

From: AnonUser@rslight.i2p (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Subject: Starbucks to block porn on wifi
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2018 15:22:51 -0000 (UTC)
logging-data="2287"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.com"
 by: AnonUser - Fri, 30 Nov 2018 15:22 UTC

OMG, porn!

https://www.rt.com/usa/445165-starbucks-porn-wifi-blocking/

Hard luck: Starbucks to block patrons from watching porn on WiFi
Published time: 29 Nov, 2018 16:30
Edited time: 30 Nov, 2018 10:26
Get short URL
Hard luck: Starbucks to block patrons from watching porn on WiFi
A Starbucks sign at one of the companies stores in Los Angeles,
California, U.S. October 19, 2018. © Reuters / Mike Blake
38
Starbucks will reportedly no longer allow patrons to watch porn on their
free WiFi from 2019, following pressure from an anti-pornography activist
group that accused the company of facilitating illegal and unsavory
viewing.
The nonprofit internet safety organization Enough is Enough (EIE) slammed
the coffee chain for “keeping the doors wide open for convicted sex
offenders and others to fly under the radar from law enforcement and use
free, public Wi-Fi services to access illegal child porn and hard-core
pornography,” said CEO Donna Rice Hughes in a statement.

Enough Is Enough
@EIETweets
.@Starbucks has filtered its WIFI in UK for many years; however,
Starbucks broke its promise of over 2 years ago to filter child porn and
porn on its public WiFi in America. What about America's children?
https://bit.ly/2Sc0F0M #safewifi #starbucks #friendlywifi

1
9:52 AM - Nov 28, 2018
Twitter Ads info and privacy
See Enough Is Enough's other Tweets
Twitter Ads info and privacy
READ MORE: US troops pay $560k in ransom to prisoners running child porn
‘sextortion’ scheme from behind bars

EIE has been leading a campaign to end porn access in Starbucks, and other
US companies that supply free WiFi, since 2014, amassing nearly 50,000
signatures of support along the way. The statement said Starbucks promised
to consider blocking porn access in 2016, as they already do in Europe,
but has allegedly “not fulfilled that pledge.”

On Wednesday, Starbucks confirmed in a statement to Business Insider that
they will be restricting customer viewing across its US locations from
next year.

“To ensure the Third Place remains safe and welcoming to all, we have
identified a solution to prevent this content from being viewed within our
stores and we will begin introducing it to our US locations in 2019,”
said a company spokesperson.

READ MORE: Adult film star lashes out at ‘jealous’ women after town
hosts anti-porn rally

Over the past two years, EIE has been successful in pressuring Subway,
Chick-fil-A and McDonalds into filtering their free WiFi to prevent
patrons from accessing porn.

RT.com has reached out to Starbucks for comment.
--
Posted on Rocksolid Light.

Re: Starbucks to block porn on wifi

<7e29312d323408e7583028904ded9a75@def4.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=492&group=rocksolid.shared.news#492

From: anon@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2018 21:21:48+0000
 by: anon - Fri, 30 Nov 2018 21:21 UTC

>Over the past two years, EIE has been successful in pressuring Subway, Chick-fil-A and McDonalds into filtering their free WiFi to prevent patrons from accessing porn.

How very convinient for the ruling class to have the filters installed because of porn. Once you have the filters, it's a piece of cake to censor any $unwanted_info.

Posted on def4.i2p

Re: Starbucks to block porn on wifi

<5e76a225d029fdd8f9b2619d1baae2fb$1@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=493&group=rocksolid.shared.news#493

From: anonuser@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (AnonUser)
To: anon
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2018 02:59:42 +0000
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
 by: AnonUser - Sat, 1 Dec 2018 02:59 UTC

anon wrote:

> How very convinient for the ruling class to have the filters installed
because of porn. Once you have the filters, it's a piece of cake to censor any
$unwanted_info.

> Posted on def4.i2p

Exactly true! Protecting people from porn - hate speech and things like
that are a great way for our overlords to make us feel like they're
protecting us when they are really controlling us. Let's block fake news
and unlicensed people giving advice and such.

The worst part is all the people begging to be controlled.

--
Posted on RetroBBS

Re: Starbucks to block porn on wifi

<2766d381f68d4732bb805ed8027cde7b@def4.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=498&group=rocksolid.shared.news#498

From: anon@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2018 16:09:18+0000
 by: anon - Tue, 4 Dec 2018 16:09 UTC

With a similar mindset, tumblr has just started to ban "adult content":

https://staff.tumblr.com/post/180758987165/a-better-more-positive-tumblr

Can somebody tell me since when sex became a negative thing ?

Posted on def4.i2p

Re: Starbucks to block porn on wifi

<6da56c65691d177b58a04a43bebe1d6f$1@rslight.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=499&group=rocksolid.shared.news#499

From: AnonUser@rslight.i2p (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2018 00:23:33 -0000 (UTC)
logging-data="9093"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.com"
 by: AnonUser - Wed, 5 Dec 2018 00:23 UTC

anon wrote:

> Can somebody tell me since when sex became a negative thing ?

I really don't get it. Think of movies or tv, any hint of nudity or sex is
bad, but whatever violence is just fine. wtf is wrong with people?

I grew up in a time when nudity was just seen as a bit silly, but not bad.
Now the parents of today were our kids, what is their problem? Is it my
fault lol?

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light.

Re: Starbucks to block porn on wifi

<62f1374b753a63257cef85e33e927be8@def4.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=500&group=rocksolid.shared.news#500

From: anon@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2018 23:36:48+0000
 by: anon - Thu, 6 Dec 2018 23:36 UTC
Attachments: "DthhX3WU4AAr-aE.jpg:" (image/jpeg)

and while they were at it, their ai also banned a lot of other things, like this (see pic).

there is a whole thread on this topic on twitter, can't find the link atm.

Posted on def4.i2p

Attachments: