From: guest@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Guest)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Subject: reddit butthurt
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2018 10:13:31 -0400
 by: Guest - Fri, 3 Aug 2018 14:13 UTC

https://www.reddit.com/r/announcements/comments/93qnm5/we_ha
d_a_security_incident_heres_what_you_need_to/

We had a security incident. Here's what you need to know.

TL;DR: A hacker broke into a few of Reddit's systems and
managed to access some user data, including some current
email addresses and a 2007 database backup containing old
salted and hashed passwords. Since then we've been
conducting a painstaking investigation to figure out just
what was accessed, and to improve our systems and processes
to prevent this from happening again.

What happened?

On June 19, we learned that between June 14 and June 18, an
attacker compromised a few of our employees' accounts with
our cloud and source code hosting providers. Already having
our primary access points for code and infrastructure behind
strong authentication requiring two factor authentication
(2FA), we learned that SMS-based authentication is not
nearly as secure as we would hope, and the main attack was
via SMS intercept. We point this out to encourage everyone
here to move to token-based 2FA.

Although this was a serious attack, the attacker did not
gain write access to Reddit systems; they gained read-only
access to some systems that contained backup data, source
code and other logs. They were not able to alter Reddit
information, and we have taken steps since the event to
further lock down and rotate all production secrets and API
keys, and to enhance our logging and monitoring systems.

Now that we've concluded our investigation sufficiently to
understand the impact, we want to share what we know, how it
may impact you, and what we've done to protect us and you
from this kind of attack in the future.

What information was involved?

Since June 19, we've been working with cloud and source code
hosting providers to get the best possible understanding of
what data the attacker accessed. We want you to know about
two key areas of user data that was accessed:

All Reddit data from 2007 and before including account
credentials and email addresses

What was accessed: A complete copy of an old
database backup containing very early Reddit user data --
from the site's launch in 2005 through May 2007. In Reddit's
first years it had many fewer features, so the most
significant data contained in this backup are account
credentials (username + salted hashed passwords), email
addresses, and all content (mostly public, but also private
messages) from way back then.

How to tell if your information was included: We are
sending a message to affected users and resetting passwords
on accounts where the credentials might still be valid. If
you signed up for Reddit after 2007, you're clear here.
Check your PMs and/or email inbox: we will be notifying you
soon if you've been affected.

Email digests sent by Reddit in June 2018

What was accessed: Logs containing the email digests
we sent between June 3 and June 17, 2018. The logs contain
the digest emails themselves -- they look like this. The
digests connect a username to the associated email address
and contain suggested posts from select popular and
safe-for-work subreddits you subscribe to.

How to tell if your information was included: If you
don't have an email address associated with your account or
your "email digests" user preference was unchecked during
that period, you're not affected. Otherwise, search your
email inbox for emails from noreply@redditmail.com between
June 3-17, 2018.

As the attacker had read access to our storage systems,
other data was accessed such as Reddit source code, internal
logs, configuration files and other employee workspace
files, but these two areas are the most significant
categories of user data.

What is Reddit doing about it?

Some highlights. We:

Reported the issue to law enforcement and are
cooperating with their investigation.

Are messaging user accounts if there's a chance the
credentials taken reflect the account's current password.

Took measures to guarantee that additional points of
privileged access to Reddit's systems are more secure (e.g.,
enhanced logging, more encryption and requiring token-based
2FA to gain entry since we suspect weaknesses inherent to
SMS-based 2FA to be the root cause of this incident.)

What can you do?

First, check whether your data was included in either of the
categories called out above by following the instructions
there.

If your account credentials were affected and there's a
chance the credentials relate to the password you're
currently using on Reddit, we'll make you reset your Reddit
account password. Whether or not Reddit prompts you to
change your password, think about whether you still use the
password you used on Reddit 11 years ago on any other sites
today.

If your email address was affected, think about whether
there's anything on your Reddit account that you wouldn't
want associated back to that address. You can find
instructions on how to remove information from your account
on this help page.

And, as in all things, a strong unique password and enabling
2FA (which we only provide via an authenticator app, not
SMS) is recommended for all users, and be alert for
potential phishing or scams.
Posted on: def2.i2p

Re: reddit butthurt

<e4db121d6971538cc466f2d796a82392$1@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=434&group=rocksolid.shared.news#434

From: anonuser@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-e39-this (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Subject: Re: reddit butthurt
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2018 12:28:41 -0700
To: Guest
 by: AnonUser - Sat, 4 Aug 2018 19:28 UTC

To: Guest
Every site should have a canned post ready when this happens lol.
--- Synchronet 3.17a-Linux NewsLink 1.108
Posted on RetroBBS

Re: reddit butthurt

<86ab167b3c86aa8ec7fd09736d20b353@def4.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=436&group=rocksolid.shared.news#436

From: anon@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2018 16:02:13+0000
 by: anon - Sat, 4 Aug 2018 16:02 UTC

will you prepare one for rocksolid ?
lol

Posted on new bbs node

Re: reddit butthurt

<5B66CF44.139.rs.news@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=439&group=rocksolid.shared.news#439

From: retro.guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
To: anon
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2018 03:19:48 -0700
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
 by: Retro Guy - Sun, 5 Aug 2018 10:19 UTC

On 08/04/2018 09:02 AM, anon wrote:
> will you prepare one for rocksolid ?
> lol
>
> Posted on new bbs node

I'm sure we'll need one at some point :)