Two is company, three is an orgy.

interests / News / Re: EU votes for memes ban and censorship machines

SubjectAuthor
* EU votes for memes ban and censorship machinesAnonymous
+* EU votes for memes ban and censorship machinesAnonUser
|+- EU votes for memes ban and censorship machinesanon
|`* EU votes for memes ban and censorship machinesanon
| `* EU votes for memes ban and censorship machinesanon
|  `* EU votes for memes ban and censorship machinesGuest
|   `* EU votes for memes ban and censorship machinesAnonUser
|    `* EU votes for memes ban and censorship machinesAnonUser
|     `* EU votes for memes ban and censorship machinesanon
|      `* EU votes for memes ban and censorship machinesAnonUser
|       `* EU votes for memes ban and censorship machinesanon
|        `* EU votes for memes ban and censorship machinesanon
|         `* EU votes for memes ban and censorship machinesGuest
|          `* EU votes for memes ban and censorship machinesanon
|           `* EU votes for memes ban and censorship machinesAnonUser
|            `* EU votes for memes ban and censorship machinesanon
|             `* EU votes for memes ban and censorship machinesanon
|              `* EU votes for memes ban and censorship machinesAnonUser
|               +- EU votes for memes ban and censorship machinesanon
|               +- EU votes for memes ban and censorship machinesanon
|               `* EU votes for memes ban and censorship machinesanon
|                `- EU votes for memes ban and censorship machinesanon
`* NopetiaGuest
 +- Nopetiaanon
 `- Nopetiaanon

1
EU votes for memes ban and censorship machines

<pgf5k2$kb$1@novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=403&group=rocksolid.shared.news#403

From: retrobbs2@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Subject: EU votes for memes ban and censorship machines
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2018 03:21:38 +0000
 by: Anonymous - Thu, 21 Jun 2018 03:21 UTC

Found here:
thenextweb.com/eu/2018/06/20/eu-votes-for-censorship-machine
s-and-link-tax-what-now/

The European Parliament Committee on Legal Affairs just
voted 'yes' on highly controversial parts of the EU's new
Copyright Reform. The controversial articles -- 11 and 13 --
effectively establish link tax, censorship machines, and ban
memes.

There was heavy resistance to the contested articles from
internet activists, lobbyists, and members of European
Parliament (MEPs), but all was for nought and the articles
passed with a 13:12 and 15:10 majority.

Creative Commons

@creativecommons
.@EP_Legal has adopted both Article 11 (#linktax) and
Article 13 (#CensorshipMachines). It's a dark day for the
open web, but the fight will continue in the upcoming
plenary vote in the European Parliament. #SaveYourInternet
#SaveTheLink #FixCopyright

2:12 AM - Jun 20, 2018
345
491 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy

Opposers of the link tax and censorship machines argued that
it threatened the openness of the internet and made it less
free. You can read TNW's detailed dive into the viewpoints
of the articles' lovers and haters, but the opposition can
be shortly summed up like this:

Article 11 (a.k.a. link tax) would force anyone using
snippets of journalistic online content to get a license
from the publisher first -- essentially outlawing current
business models of most aggregators and news apps. This can
also possibly threaten the hyperlink and give power to
publishers at the cost of public good.

Article 13 (a.k.a. censorship machines) will make platforms
responsible for monitoring user behavior to stop copyright
infringements, but basically means only huge platforms will
have the resources to let users comment or share content.
People opposed to the proposal worry that this could lead to
broader censorship, threatening free speech via parody,
satire, and even protest videos.

So is it all over?
The committee's vote doesn't automatically make the
Copyright reform and its controversial articles law.
Instead, it cements the European Parliament's stance on the
issue -- which is highly influential -- before entering the
final stage of the legislation process.

However, there is a way to change that. Plenary is the
European Parliament's tool to bring matters out of committee
and put up for a vote in the Parliament itself, i.e. have
all 751 MEPs vote instead of only 25. But there needs to be
enough support in Parliament for this to happen, so opposers
have already started campaigning for a plenary session.

View image on Twitter
View image on Twitter

Julia Reda

@Senficon
#Article13, the #CensorshipMachines, has been adopted by
@EP_Legal with a 15:10 majority. Again: We will take this
fight to plenary and still hope to #SaveYourInternet

1:55 AM - Jun 20, 2018
870
1,275 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy

The Copyright Reform and its impact on our internet is an
important issue, so hopefully it will be brought before the
representatives of all European citizens.

What you can do to make that happen is to contact your MEP
and make your voice heard. You can find a full list of MEPs
here and tips on grabbing your MEP's attention here and
here.
Posted on RetroBBS II

Re: EU votes for memes ban and censorship machines

<0f76c4d871f7b7f4680fa91e7d3e9d53$1@rslight.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=404&group=rocksolid.shared.news#404

From: no_reply@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Subject: Re: EU votes for memes ban and censorship machines
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2018 10:28:14 -0000 (UTC)
logging-data="6736"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.com"
 by: AnonUser - Thu, 21 Jun 2018 10:28 UTC

"would force anyone using
snippets of journalistic online content to get a license
from the publisher first"

Most likely the plan is to try to shut down alternative news sites. Europe
is destroying itself and it doesn't like citizens to know whats really
going on.
Posted on Rocksolid Light.

Re: EU votes for memes ban and censorship machines

<40061556337faa34343b1ac55@def4.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=406&group=rocksolid.shared.news#406

From: anon@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2018 10:47:54+0000
 by: anon - Thu, 21 Jun 2018 10:47 UTC

it's EU destroying europe.

Posted on def4.i2p

Re: EU votes for memes ban and censorship machines

<c5632e901267a29a780cdb8d0@def4.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=408&group=rocksolid.shared.news#408

From: anon@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2018 22:02:11+0000
 by: anon - Thu, 21 Jun 2018 22:02 UTC

>it doesn't like citizens to know whats really going on.

that is true for any state imo.

if states would be fully transparent, stuff like the commercial use of atomic power would never have happened. the same is also true for our way to organize the economy.

Posted on def4.i2p

Re: EU votes for memes ban and censorship machines

<e164df7e0602279f9dcf43006@def4.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=409&group=rocksolid.shared.news#409

From: anon@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2018 22:06:22+0000
 by: anon - Thu, 21 Jun 2018 22:06 UTC

btw, this will hopefully create a run to the darknets, because the amount of censored data and the people offering and searching for it will incline.

still, i miss the times when most of the people did not know what a browser and an ip address was. so much quieter everywhere...you could hear yourslef think...

well, you have to take it as it comes, i guess.

fuck censorship and all those who support it.

Posted on def4.i2p

Re: EU votes for memes ban and censorship machines

<pgorl6$hgg$1@def3.retrobbs.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=411&group=rocksolid.shared.news#411

From: guest@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Guest)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2018 15:32:53 -0400
 by: Guest - Sun, 24 Jun 2018 19:32 UTC

good article on the subject here:

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20180620/10063840078/
Posted on: def2.i2p

Re: EU votes for memes ban and censorship machines

<4a42100e1de69e5205f588ee13a691be$1@rslight.i2p>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=416&group=rocksolid.shared.news#416

From: AnonUser@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2018 23:15:56 -0000 (UTC)
logging-data="22139"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.com"
 by: AnonUser - Thu, 5 Jul 2018 23:15 UTC

who would have thought, there are actually people in the eu parliament
that are not remote controlled big business muppets.

look here:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Senficon/status/1014814460488413185
----
Great success: Your protests have worked! The European Parliament has sent
the copyright law back to the drawing board. All MEPs will get to vote on
#uploadfilters and the #linktax September 10–13. Now let's keep up the
pressure to make sure we #SaveYourInternet! pic.twitter.com/VwqAgH0Xs5
3:13 AM - 5 Jul 2018
----

very nice. there are still signs and wonders happening...
Posted on Rocksolid Light.

Re: EU votes for memes ban and censorship machines

<8a1892902d32e02f4098bcd94c81c094$1@rslight.i2p>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=417&group=rocksolid.shared.news#417

From: AnonUser@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2018 08:58:47 -0000 (UTC)
logging-data="14766"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.com"
 by: AnonUser - Fri, 6 Jul 2018 08:58 UTC

AnonUser wrote:

> who would have thought, there are actually people in the eu parliament
> that are not remote controlled big business muppets.

> look here:

> https://mobile.twitter.com/Senficon/status/1014814460488413185

Yes I was surprised too. I'm so skeptical of the EU parliament that I
still can't really imagine they would do anything in the best interest of
the internet, and not the best interest of their controlling it.

I hope I'm wrong!

Posted on Rocksolid Light.

Re: EU votes for memes ban and censorship machines

<c2c6e302c887cb8c19af24bce72d25ea@def4.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=418&group=rocksolid.shared.news#418

From: anon@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2018 10:21:41+0000
 by: anon - Fri, 6 Jul 2018 10:21 UTC

i believe it is not the internet as such that concerns them, or if it is free or not.
they want a control as well, but not this kind of control, because it would shift power from europe to the us (the home of the most dominating internet related companies).

just my 2 cents.

Posted on def4.i2p

Re: EU votes for memes ban and censorship machines

<1edfd94a5fa985495a64147ff99546df$1@rslight.i2p>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=419&group=rocksolid.shared.news#419

From: AnonUser@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2018 10:47:50 -0000 (UTC)
logging-data="16726"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.com"
 by: AnonUser - Fri, 6 Jul 2018 10:47 UTC

anon wrote:

> i believe it is not the internet as such that concerns them, or if it is
free or not.
> they want a control as well, but not this kind of control, because it would
shift power from europe to the us (the home of the most dominating internet
related companies).

> just my 2 cents.

I believe what they actually want is content control. They use pirating
issues and such to regulate more and more the internet. Require hosts to
monitor and control/block. Require identification for different things.
All with the real goal of being able to shut down what they don't like
politically, controlling those kinds of things. I really don't think they
give a shit about pirating, but it's nice for a dictatorship (wannabe) to
be able to shut down oppossing ideas.

Posted on Rocksolid Light.

Re: EU votes for memes ban and censorship machines

<01dc6d94d7a69fc5b9c5c9d9a4b85c7a@def4.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=420&group=rocksolid.shared.news#420

From: anon@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2018 10:54:35+0000
 by: anon - Fri, 6 Jul 2018 10:54 UTC

yeah sure they want that. but not under all circumtances (power balance). that is why they rejected this one imho.
might be that the internet proves to be more resilient than we thought it would be.

Posted on def4.i2p

Re: EU votes for memes ban and censorship machines

<66d7fd60c96fd5ffaf887d1d032d28c2@def4.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=421&group=rocksolid.shared.news#421

From: anon@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2018 16:00:31+0000
 by: anon - Fri, 6 Jul 2018 16:00 UTC

this article is too long, so just the start here.
something is going on here, surprising for me. supports my earlier theory, though.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/07/05/eu-parliament-calls-for-privacy-shield-to-be-pulled-until-us-complies/

EU parliament calls for Privacy Shield to be pulled until US complies
Natasha Lomas @ / 1 day

The European Parliament has been making its presence felt today. As well as reopening democratic debate around a controversial digital copyright reform proposal by voting against it being fast-tracked, MEPs have adopted a resolution calling for the suspension of the EU-US Privacy Shield.

The parliamentarians’ view is that the data transfer mechanism does not provide the necessary ‘essentially equivalent’ data protection for EU citizens — and should therefore be suspended until US authorities come into compliance.

The resolution states that the parliament:

Takes the view that the current Privacy Shield arrangement does not provide the adequate level of protection required by Union data protection law and the EU Charter as interpreted by the European Court of Justice;

Considers that, unless the US is fully compliant by 1 September 2018, the Commission has failed to act in accordance with Article 45(5) GDPR; calls therefore on the Commission to suspend the Privacy Shield until the US authorities comply with its terms

The mechanism is currently used by more than 3,300 organizations to authorize transfers of personal data from the EU to the US, including the likes of Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Amazon and Twitter, to name just a few of the well-known tech names making use of the framework to authorize EU to US personal data transfers.

Just adopted: @Europarl_EN "takes the view that the current #PrivacyShield arrangement does not provide the adequate level of protection", "calls therefore on the Commission to suspend the Privacy Shield until the US authorities comply" https://t.co/6uq26t8zKr #EUdataP

— Ralf Bendrath (@bendrath) July 5, 2018

European Parliament calls on the @EU_Commission to suspend the #PrivacyShield, unless the US is fully compliant by 1 September. European citizens need a solution that is legally watertight!

— Sophie in 't Veld (@SophieintVeld) July 5, 2018

#Dataprotection: MEPs call for the suspension of the EU-US #PrivacyShield if US fails to comply in full by 1 September in a resolution adopted today | @Claude_Moraes | Press release:https://t.co/LultcStBWv

— LIBE Committee Press (@EP_Justice) July 5, 2018

The EU-US Privacy Shield is not yet two years old but has always been controversial, given the mass surveillance/Snowden disclosure-related reasons for the demise of its predecessor (Safe Harbor).

Privacy Shield has looked especially precarious since the election of a US president with an openly privacy-hostile, anti-foreigner agenda. And reforms to US laws that EU lawmakers had hoped would be enacted have not come to pass.

On the contrary, US lawmakers dug in entirely on warrantless surveillance (aka Section 702 of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act), giving it six more years — and offering nothing in the way of the sought for reforms.

In today’s resolution the parliament writes that it “regrets that the US did not seize the opportunity of the recent reauthorisation of FISA Section 702 to include the safeguards provided in PPD 28” — referring to an Obama era Presidential Policy Directive that backed extending privacy protections to non-US nationals (when a very different US president wrote that US signals intelligence activities “must take into account that all persons should be treated with dignity and respect, regardless of their nationality or wherever they might reside, and that all persons have legitimate privacy interests in the handling of their personal information”).

EU lawmakers have always wanted a more formal, robust and lasting commitment than a PPD, though, and privacy provisions for foreigners’ data being included in FISA was their preferred outcome. Safe to say, Trump has no

Posted on def4.i2p

Re: EU votes for memes ban and censorship machines

<pj51d1$i6h$1@def3.retrobbs.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=426&group=rocksolid.shared.news#426

From: guest@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Guest)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2018 13:18:32 -0400
 by: Guest - Mon, 23 Jul 2018 17:18 UTC

as a side notice, the german muppet pushing for the law on eu level, axel voss, was found to have unlicensed picture
material on his facebook page.
the pics were removed right after the question was asked...

this stuff cannot be made up.
Posted on: def3.i2p

Re: EU votes for memes ban and censorship machines

<2f46150a63e020cbd8147e6fcb78147b@def4.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=446&group=rocksolid.shared.news#446

From: anon@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2018 15:40:49+0000
 by: anon - Sat, 18 Aug 2018 15:40 UTC

here is a nice little punchline for the topic:

https://juliareda.eu/2018/08/censorship-machines-gonna-censor/

so this shit works even before it is a law...

snip------------------

Out-of-control censorship machines removed my article warning of out-of-control censorship machines

A few days ago, about a dozen articles and campaign sites criticising EU plans for copyright censorship machines silently vanished from the world’s most popular search engine. Proving their point in the most blatant possible way, the sites were removed by exactly what they were warning of: Copyright censorship machines.

Among the websites that were made impossible to find: A blog post of mine in which I inform Europeans about where their governments stand on online censorship in the name of copyright and a campaign site warning of copyright law that favors corporations over free speech.

Was this a brazen attack on open, democratic debate by someone in the media industry, abusing copyright enforcement tools in an attempt to silence those opposing their lobbying interests – or was it an unbelievably coincidental technical mistake?

One thing’s for certain: This incident gives us a chilling taste of what we’re in for if the European Parliament passes the upload filter law currently under consideration. It’s a call to arms to continue fighting against automated copyright filters. We know now better than ever: They invariably lead to censorship. Join the Europe-wide protests on August 26!
Today’s “copyright censorship light” is bad enough
Rogue copyright bot
Illustration credit: Topple Track + icon by Freepik from flaticon.com

Under current US law, Google allows a number of companies to directly and without oversight remove sites from its search index, based purely on the claim that copyrights are being infringed. In effect, a handful of media companies have control over what we can – and can’t – find online.

One of them is Symphonic Distribution, who offer a service called “Topple Track” . This service sent a notice to Google on July 22 falsely claiming that my blog post and a number of other sites were somehow infringing on the copyright of an Australian TV starlet. Automated systems at Google honored the claim and delisted the pages, sight unseen.

If humans had been involved at any point in this process, the absurdity – or maliciousness – of this request would have immediately been spotted. But they weren’t. There are no checks and balances in place. Copyright enforcement has been automated, and no system either at services like Topple Track or at platforms like Google is able to prevent even such blatant mistakes – or such blatant abuse.

Topple Track boasts that they’ve removed over 7 million links from search engines for their music industry clients, and that 99% of their removal requests were honored. With their service now exposed to be so obviously dysfunctional, it’s unknowable how many more of these takedowns were fraudulent, and how many more articles are wrongly “shadowbanned” from the internet without their authors even being aware.

After the EFF uncovered further fraudulent removals by Topple Track and TorrentFreak covered the story, Google reportedly terminated its trusted partnership with the company. But still, as of this writing, my blog post remains unlisted on Google Search. Incredibly, not even when a company is exposed for issuing abusive takedowns are the websites they’ve previously ordered removed reinstated. Each individual author must actively put up a fight to restore the findability of their free speech. (Update: The page seems to be back in the Google index now.)
EU plans would make this much worse

On September 12, the EU Parliament will vote (one more time) on whether to force internet platforms to install upload filters.

With upload filters, platforms won’t even wait for complaints by media companies to remove your posts. Instead, your expression won’t even go online in the first place unless it passes a check against databases submitted by media companies. And

Posted on def4.i2p

Re: EU votes for memes ban and censorship machines

<e69aff32c49781d8b4213c97183893a5$1@rslight.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=447&group=rocksolid.shared.news#447

From: AnonUser@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2018 12:21:27 -0000 (UTC)
logging-data="9811"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.com"
 by: AnonUser - Sun, 19 Aug 2018 12:21 UTC

The whole idea of censoring ideas is a huge deal. Porn and copyright
infringement are convenient ways to get what they really want, to stifle
opposing views.

They get the money and support to develop the tools, pass the laws, then
use it to shut down opinion online, which is their real goal.

I'm no Bill Maher or Alex Jones fan, but it was nice to read Maher's
opposition to blocking Jones online:

Bill Maher criticizes social media bans: ‘Alex Jones gets to speak’

http://thehill.com/policy/technology/technology/402450-bill-maher-on-social-media-bans-alex-jones-gets-to-speak

HBO talk-show host Bill Maher spoke out in defense of controversial
right-wing host Alex Jones after Jones was suspended from several social
media platforms, saying that everyone has a right to free speech.

Maher, noting that Jones has "told crazy lies" about him, said on his HBO
show Friday that "if you’re a liberal, you’re supposed to be for free
speech."

“That’s free speech for the speech you hate. That’s what free speech
means. We’re losing the thread of the concepts that are important to
this country,” he continued.

“If you care about the real American shit or you don’t. And if you do,
it goes for every side. I don’t like Alex Jones, but Alex Jones gets to
speak. Everybody gets to speak," Maher said.

Charlie Sykes, a contributing editor for The Weekly Standard, pushed back
on Maher’s comments, saying that Jones “doesn’t necessarily get to
speak on Facebook or Twitter,” to which the host agreed.

“If he engages in vile slander and fabrication about children who are
murdered at Sandy Hook and he harasses the parents of children who were
murdered at Sandy Hook … Facebook, Twitter don’t have an obligation to
provide him a platform because they’re private companies,” Sykes said.

Jones has been pulled or banned from several platforms, including
Facebook, YouTube and Spotify. Twitter also placed restrictions on the
accounts for Jones and his site Infowars, a move Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey
told The Hill is meant to encourage users to behave better on the site.

Posted on Rocksolid Light.

Re: EU votes for memes ban and censorship machines

<e72ca1da1c91431a394e851c6ad2c6e9@def4.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=450&group=rocksolid.shared.news#450

From: anon@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2018 13:04:33+0000
 by: anon - Sun, 19 Aug 2018 13:04 UTC

I don't know about the Alex Jones case: after all, he was not imprisoned or anything, just the major it companies kicked him out.
He can still use any other company or host the stuff by himself or torrent it or whatever.
I mean, I would not host his content, as an example. So I can sort of understand that a bigger company kicks him out as well.
But that does not mean that he does not get to speak.

Posted on def4.i2p

Re: EU votes for memes ban and censorship machines

<54f52246858e25e29c5bce9b85995025@def4.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=451&group=rocksolid.shared.news#451

From: anon@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2018 15:50:47+0000
 by: anon - Sun, 19 Aug 2018 15:50 UTC

of course, there is another underlying issue here, which is that if Google, Apple and Facebook all ban you, you are pratically invisible for a large part of the internet population. and that is even if you host that stuff yourself or find some other means of distribution.
the root cause of this is that imo that too many people don't look left or right of what their Ipad or Google start page shows them.

Posted on def4.i2p

Re: EU votes for memes ban and censorship machines

<7773849447c9f763d4d364b9ad5bdd2d$1@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=452&group=rocksolid.shared.news#452

From: anonuser@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-krs-this (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2018 11:08:04 -0700
To: anon
 by: AnonUser - Mon, 20 Aug 2018 18:08 UTC

To: anon
anon wrote:

> of course, there is another underlying issue here, which is that if Google,
Apple and Facebook all ban you, you are pratically invisible for a large part
of the internet population. and that is even if you host that stuff yourself
or find some other means of distribution.
> the root cause of this is that imo that too many people don't look left or
right of what their Ipad or Google start page shows them.

> Posted on def4.i2p

That's really the way I see it. There is no "right to free speech" on
someone's site. But with the market share these companies have, and how
many people rely only on them for information, it is a way to promote or
hide views that quite a bit of people will see (or not see).

They have the size and market share to manipulate opinion as they wish.
While this doesn't mean they have any legal reason to do otherwise, I
think those who promote anyone's right to express themself may see this as
a negative action by these companies.

My post above was an agreement with Maher to just let people speak.

I've tried being overly aggressive in moderating sites in the past, and it
never ended well. You can't please everyone so just step back and let
people talk.
--- Synchronet 3.17a-Linux NewsLink 1.108
Posted on RetroBBS

Re: EU votes for memes ban and censorship machines

<fe89e856278254291c2aa1f04fbf5fe8@def4.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=454&group=rocksolid.shared.news#454

From: anon@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2018 19:33:50+0000
 by: anon - Tue, 21 Aug 2018 19:33 UTC

>They have the size and market share to manipulate opinion as they wish.

And that is the real issue from my point of view. Cannot be regulated away in my opinion, because it is rooted in the weak and herd like state of the mind of many people.
Mind you, this is still an improvement compared to the times before the internet was popular: in these times it was the TV only. So there can be progress on this.

Posted on rst

Re: EU votes for memes ban and censorship machines

<0411ed9e8f37aabf71e4e26049b48d17@def4.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=455&group=rocksolid.shared.news#455

From: anon@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2018 07:10:58+0000
 by: anon - Wed, 22 Aug 2018 07:10 UTC

>They have the size and market share to manipulate opinion as they wish.

And that is the real issue from my point of view. Cannot be regulated away in my opinion, because it is rooted in the weak and herd like state of the mind of many people.
Mind you, this is still an improvement compared to the times before the internet was popular: in these times it was the TV only. So there can be progress on this.

Posted on rst

Re: EU votes for memes ban and censorship machines

<1665945d43c3c5ec8312346e1d425ebc@def4.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=464&group=rocksolid.shared.news#464

From: anon@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2018 08:58:53+0000
 by: anon - Sun, 26 Aug 2018 08:58 UTC

hack your government today by taking to the streets:

https://savetheinternet.info/

Posted on def4.i2p

Re: EU votes for memes ban and censorship machines

<53c926d9f852735a19d74563992e8b72@def4.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=474&group=rocksolid.shared.news#474

From: anon@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2018 20:14:45+0000
 by: anon - Thu, 13 Sep 2018 20:14 UTC

next round of this shit was voted on yesterday:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Senficon/status/1039790920915476481

no result published yet.

they will just try and try again to get this madness through...

now it says that any website has to take down "terroristic content" in 24h.

for the big platforms that will mean to have a police api that will allow them to take down what they deem to be terroristic, the small platforms are fucked anyway...

Posted on rst

Nopetia

<pnjkoq$l56$1@def3.retrobbs.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=475&group=rocksolid.shared.news#475

From: guest@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Guest)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Subject: Nopetia
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2018 14:58:34 -0400
 by: Guest - Sat, 15 Sep 2018 18:58 UTC

What do you want from some bought and sold politicians. They should have banned Microsoft.

This is just the tip of the iceberg.
https://www.wired.com/story/notpetya-cyberattack-ukraine-russia-code-crashed-the-world/

I'm retired for a very long time but when I used to have an imput for IT Microsoft Certified (brainwashed) was a NO GO.

Too late for me to ADD MAERSK IT but if you were there better take it of your resume.
Posted on: def3.i2p

Re: Nopetia

<9e1840a2a16a866e7a50682500db4af0@def4.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=476&group=rocksolid.shared.news#476

From: anon@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Subject: Re: Nopetia
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2018 20:36:59+0000
 by: anon - Sat, 15 Sep 2018 20:36 UTC

Very good article, thanks for sharing the link.

I don't think you would have to ban M$ to cure this disease, just stop using it would be enough. It is no big thing anymore to migrate to a better system, if you have the will to do it. At any rate, it is cheaper than to fall victim to a cyber attack.

Quoted from the article:

>Multifactor authentication has been rolled out across the >company, along with a long-delayed upgrade to Windows 10.

An upgrade to Windows 10. Lmao. Like the track record would or will look better. These people have not learned anything.

>some of the corporation’s servers were, up until the attack, >still running Windows 2000—an operating system so old >Microsoft no longer supported it. In 2016, one group of IT >executives had pushed for a preemptive security redesign of >Maersk’s entire global network. They called attention to >Maersk’s less-than-perfect software patching, outdated >operating systems, and above all insufficient network >segmentation. That last vulnerability in particular, they >warned, could allow malware with access to one part of the >network to spread wildly beyond its initial foothold, >exactly as NotPetya would the next year.

No more questions, your honor. Even my lan at home is fully segmented to protect the servers from shitty end user devices.

>The security revamp was green-lit and budgeted. But its >success was never made a so-called key performance indicator >for Maersk’s most senior IT overseers, so implementing it >wouldn’t contribute to their bonuses. They never carried the >security makeover forward.

And here you have it in a nutshell: there is no incentive for the deciders to improve the situation, so they just carry on the old shit.

Posted on def4.i2p

Re: Nopetia

<1217768ec79fdb90313eac87de52acf5@def4.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=477&group=rocksolid.shared.news#477

From: anon@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2018 11:53:43+0000
 by: anon - Sun, 16 Sep 2018 11:53 UTC

This is the changed text:
http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getDoc.do?pubRef=-//EP//NONSGML+TA+P8-TA-2018-0337+0+DOC+PDF+V0//EN

And the EU parliament voted yes.

Upload filters are still not mentioned as such, but will be the only technical solution that will work according to the law.

Also in now: you cannot post pictures from sports events any more, because this is supposed under the full control of the organizers.

Quote:

"Member States shall provide sport event organizers with the rights provided for in Article 2 [reproduction] and Article 3 (2) [making available] of Directive 2001/29/EC and Article 7 [fixation] of Directive 2006/115/EC."

This www thingy was nice while it lasted...

Posted on def4.i2p