From: usenet@novabbs.org (rslight rss feeds)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.tech
Subject: Planet Debian
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 08:21:45 +0000
 by: rslight rss feeds - Wed, 16 Nov 2022 08:21 UTC

Patryk Cisek: Unattended Upgrades Debian
https://prezu.ca/post/unattended-upgrades-debian/
November 13, 2022, 2:40 PM
Unattended Upgrades in Debian Feels like since forever have I been using unattended-upgrades package to automate the Security upgrades on my various Debian Stable based machines.
Default Settings By default unattended-upgrades will install only Security updates. It also will not send any email reports. That is not surprising – well, you have to have email delivery configured and unattended-upgrades needs to know, what email address to send those reports to....
--------------------
Debian Brasil: About Debian Brasil at Latinoware 2022
https://debianbrasil.org.br/blog/about-debian-brasil-at-latinoware-2022/
November 12, 2022, 7:00 PM
From November 2nd to 4th, 2022, the 19th edition of
Latinoware - Latin American Congress of Free Software
and Open Technologies took place in Foz do Iguaçu. After 2 years happening
online due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the event was back in person and we felt
Debian Brasil community should be there.
Out last time at Latinoware was in
2016
The Latinoware organization provided the Debian Brazil community with a booth
so that we could have contact with people visiting the open exhibition area and
--------------------
Debian Brasil: Participação da comunidade Debian no Latinoware 2022
https://debianbrasil.org.br/blog/participacao-da-comunidade-debian-no-latinoware-2022/
November 12, 2022, 6:00 PM
De 2 a 4 de novembro de 2022 aconteceu a 19º edição do
Latinoware - Congresso Latino-americano de Software
Livre e Tecnologias Abertas, em Foz do Iguaçu. Após 2 anos acontecendo de forma
online devido a pandemia do COVID-19, o evento voltou a ser presencial e
sentimos que a comunidade Debian Brasil deveria
estar presente. Nossa última participação no Latinoware foi em
2016
A organização do Latinoware cedeu para a comunidade Debian Brasil um estande
para que pudéssemos ter contato com...
--------------------
Bastian Venthur: Mastodon
https://venthur.de/2022-11-12-mastodon.html
November 12, 2022, 4:00 PM
Due to recent events around Twitter, I finally decided to give Mastodon a
try. Naturally, I find the idea of an open and decentralized platform much more
appealing than the privately owned walled gardens that became so hugely popular
in the past two decades. I’m curious whether Mastodon can keep up the momentum
of the last two weeks and eventually establish itself as an alternative to
Twitter. On that note, I think it will be interesting to see how well
moderation of hate speech etc. works- an...
--------------------
Ian Jackson: Stop writing Rust linked list libraries!
https://diziet.dreamwidth.org/13476.html
November 12, 2022, 3:13 PM
tl;dr:
Don’t write a Rust linked list library: they are hard to do well, and usually useless.
Use VecDeque, which is great. If you actually need more than VecDeque can do, use one of the handful of libraries that actually offer a significantly more useful API.
If you are writing your own data structure, check if someone has done it already, and consider slotmap or generation_arena, (or maybe Rc/Arc).
Contents
Survey of Rust linked list libraries
Background
Results
Why are there so many poor ...
--------------------
Wouter Verhelst: Day 3 of the Debian Videoteam Sprint in Cape Town
https://grep.be/blog//en/computer/debian/Day_3_of_the_Debian_Videoteam_Sprint_in_Cape_Town/
November 12, 2022, 9:06 AM
The Debian Videoteam has been
sprinting in
Cape Town, South Africa -- mostly because with Stefano here for a few
months, four of us (Jonathan, Kyle, Stefano, and myself) actually are in
the country on a regular basis. In addition to that, two more members of
the team (Nicolas and Louis-Philippe) are joining the sprint remotely
(from Paris and Montreal).
(Kyle and Stefano working on things, with me behind the camera and
Jonathan busy elsewhere.)
We've made loads of
progress!
Some highlights:
--------------------
Craig Small: WordPress 6.1
https://dropbear.xyz/2022/11/12/wordpress-6-1/
November 12, 2022, 7:00 AM
Debian will soon have WordPress version 6.1 I’m not really sure of the improvements, but there is a new 2023 theme as part of the update.
They really weren’t mucking around when they said the 6.0.3 security release would be short-lived.
The updates seem to be focused on content creation and making the formatting do what content creators want it to do. For me, I need headings 1 and 2 , paragraphs and preformatted text.
--------------------
Reproducible Builds: Reproducible Builds in October 2022
https://reproducible-builds.org/reports/2022-10/
November 11, 2022, 3:56 PM
Welcome to the Reproducible Builds report for October 2022! In these reports we attempt to outline the most important things that we have been up to over the past month.
As ever, if you are interested in contributing to the project, please visit our Contribute page on our website.
Our in-person summit this year was held in the past few days in Venice, Italy. Activity and news from the summit will therefore be covered in next month’s report!
A new article related to reproducible bu...
--------------------
Enrico Zini: Sharing argparse arguments with subcommands
http://www.enricozini.org/blog/2022/python/sharing-argparse-arguments-with-subcommands
November 11, 2022, 12:51 PM
argparse subcommands
are great, but they have a quirk in which options are only available right
after the subcommand that define them.
So, if you for example add the --verbose / -v argument to your main parser,
and you have subcommands, you need to give the -v option before the
subcommand name. For example, given this script:
#!/usr/bin/python3
import argparse
parser = argparse.ArgumentParser(description="test")
parser.add_argument("-v", "--verbose", action="store_true")
subparsers = parser.add...
--------------------
Melissa Wen: V3D enablement in mainline kernel
https://melissawen.github.io/blog/2022/11/10/v3d-in-the-mainline
November 10, 2022, 2:40 PM
Hey,
If you enjoy using upstream Linux kernel in your Raspberry Pi system or just
want to give a try in the freshest kernel graphics drivers there, the good news
is that now you can compile and boot the V3D driver from the mainline in your
Raspberry Pi 4. Thanks to the work of Stefan, Peter and Nicolas
[1]
[2],
the V3D enablement reached the Linux kernel mainline. That means hacking and
using new features available in the upstream V3D driver directly from the
source.
However, even for those us...
--------------------
Shirish Agarwal: The Road to Gandolfo, Webforms, Hearing Loss info & Mum’s Birthday.
https://flossexperiences.wordpress.com/2022/11/10/the-road-to-gandolfo-webforms-hearing-loss-info-mums-birthday/
November 10, 2022, 1:45 PM
The Road to Gandolfo
I think I had read this book almost 10-12 years back and somehow ended up reading it up again. Apparently, he had put this fiction, story, book under some other pen name earlier. It is possible that I might have read it under that name and hence forgotten all about it. This book/story is full of innuendo, irony, sarcasm and basically the thrill of life. There are two main characters in the book, the first is General Mackenzie who has spent almost 3 to 4 decades being a s...
--------------------
Alastair McKinstry: Government approves T&Cs for first offshore wind auction under the ...
https://diaspora.sceal.ie/p/1194310
November 10, 2022, 8:16 AM
Government approves T&amp;Cs for first offshore wind auction under the Renewable Electricity Support Scheme
ORESS 1 expected to secure 2.5GW of electricity generating capacity
#GreensInGovernment
The Government has today approved the Terms and Conditions of ORESS 1, the first auction for offshore wind under the Renewable Electricity Support Scheme.
This is a seminal moment in the delivery of offshore wind in Ireland. The offshore auction, the first in Ireland's history, is expected to provi...
--------------------
Dirk Eddelbuettel: RcppArmadillo 0.11.4.2.1 on CRAN: Updates
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2022/11/09#rcpparmadillo_0.11.4.2.1
November 10, 2022, 1:15 AM
Armadillo is a powerful and expressive C++ template library for linear algebra and scientific computing. It aims towards a good balance between speed and ease of use, has a syntax deliberately close to Matlab, and is useful for algorithm development directly in C++, or quick conversion of research code into production environments. RcppArmadillo integrates this library with the R environment and language–and is widely used by (currently) 1027 packages other packages on CRAN, downloaded 26.9 mi...
--------------------
Steinar H. Gunderson: Bidirectional Dijkstra
http://blog.sesse.net/blog/tech/2022-11-10-00-00_bidirectional_dijkstra.html
November 9, 2022, 11:00 PM
While I'm waiting for pull requests to be processed,
enjoy some visualizations of bidirectional Dijkstra
(1,
2).
--------------------
Debian Brasil: Brasileiros(as) Mantenedores(as) e Desenvolvedores(as) Debian a partir de julho de 2015
https://debianbrasil.org.br/blog/brasileiros-mantenedores-e-desenvolvedores-debian-a-partir-de-julho-de-2015/
November 9, 2022, 12:01 AM
Desde de setembro de 2015, o
time de publicidade
do Projeto Debian passou a publicar a cada dois meses
listas com os nomes dos(as) novos(as)
Desenvolvedores(as) Debian (DD - do
inglês Debian Developer) e
Mantenedores(as) Debian
(DM - do inglês Debian Maintainer).
Estamos aproveitando estas listas para publicar abaixo os nomes dos(as)
brasileiros(as) que se tornaram Desenvolvedores(as) e Mantenedores(as) Debian a
partir de julho de 2015.
Desenvolvedores(as) Debian / Debian Developers / DDs:
--------------------
Aurelien Jarno: riscv64 porterbox
https://blog.aurel32.net/riscv64-porterbox.html
November 8, 2022, 10:52 PM
For quite some time, many people asked for a riscv64 porterbox. Now we've got
one called
debian-riscv64-porterbox-01.debian.net.
A big thanks to SiFive for providing the HiFive
Unmatched board and
OSUOSL for assembling the hardware and hosting it....
--------------------
Daniel Lange: Your software stores are a bad idea
https://daniel-lange.com/archives/176-Your-software-stores-are-a-bad-idea.html
November 8, 2022, 8:30 PM
There is significant effort involved to get your apt or dnf commands always have a consistent set of servers to talk to.
That's why running separate "software stores" is a bad idea:
That way more admins need to learn how to run high availability services for dubious business opportunities to "later" monetize services. Services that nobody cares to pay for and thus opportunities that never materialize. But every company wants to find that out again. Because if Apple could do it, why shouldn't...
--------------------
Antoine Beaupré: Using the bell as modern notification
https://anarc.at/blog/2022-11-08-modern-bell-urgency/
November 8, 2022, 4:48 PM
Computer terminals have traditionally had an actual bell
that would ring when a certain control character (the bell
character, typically control-g or a in an C escape
sequence) would come in the input stream.
That feature actually predates computers altogether, and was present
in Baudot code, "an early character encoding for telegraphy
invented by Émile Baudot in the 1870s", itself superseding Morse
code.
Modern terminal emulators have, of course, kept that feature: if
you run this command i...
--------------------
Dirk Eddelbuettel: RcppCCTZ 0.2.12 on CRAN: Maintenance
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2022/11/06#rcppcctz_0.2.12
November 6, 2022, 10:22 PM
A new release 0.2.12 of RcppCCTZ is now on CRAN.
RcppCCTZ uses Rcpp to bring CCTZ to R. CCTZ is a C++ library for translating between absolute and civil times using the rules of a time zone. In fact, it is two libraries. One for dealing with civil time: human-readable dates and times, and one for converting between between absolute and civil times via time zones. And while CCTZ is made by Google(rs), it is not an official Google product. The RcppCCTZ page has a few usage examples and details. Th...
--------------------
Marco d'Itri: Mastodon is not ready for me
https://blog.bofh.it/debian/id_464
November 6, 2022, 5:15 PM
I just did again the usual web search, and I have verified that Mastodon still does not support managing multiple domains on the same instance, and that there is still no way to migrate an account to a different instance without basically starting from scratch.
As much as I like the idea of a federated social network, open standards and so on, I do not think that it would be wise for me to spend time developing a so
cial network identity on somebody else's instance which could disappear at any ...
--------------------
Arturo Borrero González: Home network refresh: 10G and IPv6
https://ral-arturo.org/2022/11/06/home-net.html
November 6, 2022, 9:40 AM
A few days ago, my home network got a refresh that resulted in the enablement of some next-generation
technologies for me and my family. Well, next-generation or current-generation, depending on your point of view.
Per the ISP standards in Spain (my country), what I’ll describe next is literally the most and latest you can get.
The post title spoiled it already. I have now 10G internet uplink and native IPv6 since I changed my ISP to https://digimobil.es.
My story began a few months ago wh...
--------------------
Russ Allbery: Review: Matrix
https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/reviews/books/0-698-40513-7.html
November 6, 2022, 1:51 AM
Review: Matrix, by Lauren Groff

Publisher:
Riverhead Books

Copyright:
2021

ISBN:
0-698-40513-7

Format:
Kindle

Pages:
260

Marie is a royal bastardess, a product of rape no less, and entirely out
of place in the court in Westminster, where she landed after being kicked
off her mother's farm. She had run the farm since her mother's untimely
death, but there was no way that her relatives would let her inherit. In
court, Mari...
--------------------
Michael Ablassmeier: virtnbdbackup in unstable/bookworm
https://abbbi.github.io//virtnbdbackup-debian/
November 6, 2022, 12:00 AM
Besides several bugfixes, the latest version now supports using higher
compression levels and logging to syslog facility. I also finished packaging
and official packages are now available,
--------------------
Dirk Eddelbuettel: RcppEigen 0.3.3.9.3 on CRAN: Maintenance
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2022/11/05#rcppeigen_0.3.3.9.3
November 5, 2022, 10:05 PM
A new release 0.3.3.9.3 of RcppEigen arrived on CRAN moments ago (and just went to Debian). Eigen is a C++ template library for linear algebra: matrices, vectors, numerical solvers, and related algorithms.
This update is again mostly maintenance. To accomodate one small aspect of the Fortran interface, we now require R 3.6.0 or later. Jonah Gabry spotted a really old typo and fixed it. The fastLm support code now uses the unabbreviated df.residual. We accomodated clang-15 in one signature as is ...
--------------------
Dirk Eddelbuettel: RcppSpdlog 0.0.9 on CRAN: Extended Usability and New Upstream
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2022/11/04#rcppspdlog_0.0.9
November 4, 2022, 10:53 PM
A brand-new version 0.0.9 of RcppSpdlog got onto CRAN overnight. RcppSpdlog bundles spdlog, a wonderful header-only C++ logging library with all the bells and whistles you would want that was written by Gabi Melman, and also includes fmt by Victor Zverovich.
This release contains two changes. First, we extend usability by offering both a set of simple R functions for logging from R, and a matching set of functions at the C++ level that are directly callable (and exported) from this package (so t...
--------------------
Thorsten Alteholz: My Debian Activities in October 2022
http://blog.alteholz.eu/2022/11/my-debian-activities-in-october-2022/
November 4, 2022, 3:24 PM
FTP master
This month I accepted 484 and rejected 55 packages. The overall number of packages that got accepted was 492.
Debian LTS
This was my hundredth month that I did some work for the Debian LTS initiative, started by Raphael Hertzog at Freexian.  Woohoo, There is a party. (yes I am old). Unfortunately there are already 101 completed month listed in the debian-lts-announce archive, so I seem to have counted wrong once. *sigh*, yes I am old.
This month my all in all workload has been 14h.
D...
--------------------
Junichi Uekawa: Found the reason podman build was failing as normal user.
http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/diary/daily/2022-Nov-4.html.en#2022-Nov-4-18:33:29
November 4, 2022, 9:33 AM
Found the reason podman build was failing as normal user.
dbus-user-session was missing and podman wasn't able to connect to systemd user session.
This resulted in trying to use cgroupfs instead of systemd for managing cgroups and other things also broke.
--------------------
Alastair McKinstry: €1.3 billion announced for new Forestry Support
https://diaspora.sceal.ie/p/1193417
November 4, 2022, 8:45 AM
€1.3 billion announced for new Forestry Support
Funds to be delivered through new Forestry Programme
Premiums for planting trees to be increased by between 46% and 66% and extended to 20 years for farmers
 #GreensInGovernment
The Taoiseach, Micheál Martin TD, Minister of State with responsibility for Forestry, Senator Pippa Hackett, and Minister for Agriculture, Food and the Marine, Charlie McConalogue T.D today announced a proposed investment by the Government of €1.3 billion in Irish...
--------------------
Louis-Philippe Véronneau: Book Review: Chokepoint Capitalism, by Rebecca Giblin and Cory Doctorow
https://veronneau.org/book-review-chokepoint-capitalism-by-rebecca-giblin-and-cory-doctorow.html
November 4, 2022, 4:00 AM
Two weeks ago, I had the chance to go see Cory Doctorow at my local independent
bookstore, in Montréal. He was there to present his latest essay, co-written
with Rebecca Giblin1. Titled Chokepoint Capitalism: How Big Tech and
Big Content Captured Creative Labor Markets and How We'll Win Them Back, it
focuses on the impact of monopolies and monopsonies (more on this later) on
creative workers.
The book is divided in two main parts:
Part one, Culture has been captured (chapters 1 to 11), is a se...
--------------------
Dirk Eddelbuettel: RProtoBuf 0.4.20 on CRAN: Maintenance
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2022/11/03#rprotobuf_0.4.20
November 4, 2022, 12:36 AM
A new release 0.4.20 of RProtoBuf arrived on CRAN earlier today. RProtoBuf provides R with bindings for the Google Protocol Buffers (“ProtoBuf”) data encoding and serialization library used and released by Google, and deployed very widely in numerous projects as a language and operating-system agnostic protocol.
This release is somewhat mechanical and in the spirit of many other recent releases. clang-15 is, as more recent compilers do, more stringent on definitions and wants to see some voi...
--------------------
Reproducible Builds (diffoscope): diffoscope 226 released
https://diffoscope.org/news/diffoscope-226-released/
November 4, 2022, 12:00 AM
The diffoscope maintainers are pleased to announce the release of diffoscope
version 226. This version includes the following changes:
[ Christopher Baines ]
* Add an lzip comparator with tests.
[ Chris Lamb ]
* Add support for comparing the "text" content of HTML files using html2text.
(Closes: #1022209, reproducible-builds/diffoscope#318)
* Misc/test improvements:
* Drop the ALLOWED_TEST_FILES test; it's mostly just annoying.
* Drop other copyright notices from lzip.py and test_lzip.py...
--------------------
Arturo Borrero González: New OpenPGP key and new email
https://ral-arturo.org/2022/11/03/gpg.html
November 3, 2022, 4:00 PM
I’m trying to replace my old OpenPGP key with a new one. The old key wasn’t compromised or lost or anything
bad. Is still valid, but I plan to get rid of it soon. It was created in 2013.
The new key id fingerprint is: AA66280D4EF0BFCC6BFC2104DA5ECB231C8F04C4
I plan to use the new key for things like encrypted emails, uploads to the Debian archive, and more. Also,
the new key includes an identity with a newer personal email address I plan to use soon: arturo.bg@arturo.bg
The new key has ...
--------------------
Alastair McKinstry: New Planning and Environment Court will reform planning appeals pro...
https://diaspora.sceal.ie/p/1193277
November 3, 2022, 12:26 PM
New Planning and Environment Court will reform planning appeals process
#GreensInGovernment
The Green Party has fulfilled an important Programme for Government commitment following the cabinet's decision to establish a new division of the High Court to specialise in environmental and planning issues. This is a major reform that will allow planning law to operate in a more efficient and environmentally friendly manner.
Steven Matthews TD, Green Party Spokesperson for Planning and Local Govern...
--------------------
Alastair McKinstry: Department of Education confirms 12,544 Ukrainian pupils currently ...
https://diaspora.sceal.ie/p/1193273
November 3, 2022, 10:55 AM
Department of Education confirms 12,544 Ukrainian pupils currently enrolled in Irish schools
#GreensInGovernment
The Department of Education can confirm that as of 1 November, 12,544 Ukrainian pupils have been enrolled in schools across Ireland. Out of that figure, 7,948 of these pupils have been accommodated in primary schools while 4,596 pupils have enrolled in post-primary schools.
To assist with the transition of Ukrainian refugees and their families into Irish schools Regional Education ...
--------------------
Junichi Uekawa: user namespace not enabled when running podman.
http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/diary/daily/2022-Nov-3.html.en#2022-Nov-3-18:54:05
November 3, 2022, 9:54 AM
user namespace not enabled when running podman.
Completely forgot about this but seems like I need to enable user namespace for podman.
sudo sysctl -w kernel.unprivileged_userns_clone=1.
Not quite sure when this started being required.
--------------------
Russ Allbery: Review: Carpe Jugulum
https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/reviews/books/0-06-228014-7.html
November 3, 2022, 5:16 AM
Review: Carpe Jugulum, by Terry Pratchett

Series:
Discworld #23

Publisher:
Harper

Copyright:
1998

Printing:
May 2014

ISBN:
0-06-228014-7

Format:
Mass market

Pages:
409

Carpe Jugulum is the 23rd Discworld novel and the 6th witches
novel. I would not recommend reading it before Maskerade, which introduces Agnes.
There are some spoilers for Wyrd
Sisters, Lords and Ladies, and
Maskerade in the s...
--------------------
Antoine Beaupré: A typical yak shaving session
https://anarc.at/blog/2022-11-02-yak-shaving/
November 2, 2022, 5:40 PM
Someone recently asked what yak shaving means and, because I am a
professional at this pastime, I figured I would share my most recent
excursion in the field.
As a reminder, "yak shaving" describes a (anti?) pattern by which you
engage in more and more (possibly useless) tasks that lead you further
and further away from your original objective.
The path I took through the yak heard is this:
i wondered if i can use my home network to experiment with another
VPN software (e.g. Wireguard instea...
--------------------
Robert McQueen: Many thanks & good luck to Neil McGovern
https://ramcq.net/2022/11/02/many-thanks-good-luck/
November 2, 2022, 12:34 PM
As President of the GNOME Foundation, I wanted to post a quick note to pass on the thanks from the Board, the Foundation staff team and membership to our outgoing Executive Director, Neil McGovern. I had the pleasure of passing on GNOME’s thanks in person at the Casa Bariachi this summer at GUADEC in Guadelajara, at the most exellent mariachi celebration of GNOME’s 25th Anniversary. Kindly they stopped the music and handed me the microphone for the whole place, although I think many of the ...
--------------------
Ben Hutchings: Debian LTS work, October 2022
https://www.decadent.org.uk/ben/blog/debian-lts-work-october-2022.html
November 2, 2022, 11:36 AM
In October I was not assigned additional time by Freexian's Debian
LTS initiative, but carried over 9 hours from September and worked
all those hours.
I updated the linux (4.19) package to the latest stable update, but
didn't upload it. I merged the latest bullseye security update into
the linux-5.10 package, uploaded that, and issued
DLA-3173-1....
--------------------
Paul Tagliamonte: Decoding LDPC: k-Bit Brute Forcing
https://k3xec.com/ldpc-k-bit/
November 1, 2022, 11:00 PM
Before you go on: I've been
warned off
implementing this in practice on a few counts; namely, the space tradeoff isn't
worth it, and it's unlikely to correct meaningful errors. I'm going to leave
this post up, but please do take the content with a very large grain of salt!
My initial efforts to build a PHY
and Data Link layer – from
scratch using my own code – have been progressing nicely since the initial
BPSK based protocol I’ve documented under the PACKRAT series. As part of that,
I’...
--------------------
Jonathan Dowland: Halloween playlist 2022
https://jmtd.net/log/halloween_playlist_2022/
November 1, 2022, 1:51 PM
I hope you had a nice Halloween!
I've collected together some songs that I've enjoyed over the last couple of
years that loosely fit a theme: ambient, instrumental, experimental, industrial,
dark, disconcerting, etc. I've prepared a Spotify playlist of most of
them, but not all. The list is inline below as well, with many (but not all)
tracks linking to Bandcamp, if I could find them there.
This is a bit late, sorry. If anyone listens to something here and has any
feedback I'd love to hear it....
--------------------
Russ Allbery: Review: What Makes This Book So Great
https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/reviews/books/0-7653-3193-4.html
November 1, 2022, 4:59 AM
Review: What Makes This Book So Great, by Jo Walton

Publisher:
Tor

Copyright:
January 2014

ISBN:
0-7653-3193-4

Format:
Hardcover

Pages:
447

Jo Walton, in addition to being an excellent science fiction and fantasy
writer, is a prodigious reader and frequent participant in on-line SFF
book discussion going back to the Usenet days. This book is a collection
of short essays previously published on Tor.com between July 2008 an...
--------------------
Paul Wise: FLOSS Activities October 2022
http://bonedaddy.net/pabs3/log/2022/11/01/floss-activities/
November 1, 2022, 4:20 AM
Focus
This month I didn't have any particular focus.
I just worked on issues in my info bubble.
Changes
wayback-machine-downloader:
fix typo
reportbug:
add affects/xcc
libredirect:
cleanup
zxing-cpp:
add help options
Debian release website:
reorder essential list
Debian screenshots:
deleted
mpv (proprietary video)
Debian usertags:
fix misapplied riscv64 tags due to malformatted email
Debian wiki pages:
ArchitectureSpecificsMemo,
BSP/Hosting,
DebianLogo,
DebianSoftware,
DebianWomen,
Develop...
--------------------
Louis-Philippe Véronneau: Montreal's Debian & Stuff - October 2022
https://veronneau.org/montreals-debian-stuff-october-2022.html
November 1, 2022, 4:00 AM
Our local Debian user group gathered on Sunday October 30th to chat, work on
Debian and do other, non-Debian related hacking :) This time around, we met at
EfficiOS's1 offices. As you can see from the following
picture, it's a great place and the view they have is pretty awesome. Many
thanks for hosting us!
This was our 4th meeting this year and once again, attendance was great: 10
people showed up to work on various things.
Following our bi-monthly schedule, our next meeting should be in Decem...
--------------------
Scarlett Gately Moore: KDE Gear Snaps fixes and new releases
https://www.scarlettgatelymoore.dev/kde-gear-snaps-fixes-and-new-releases/
October 31, 2022, 9:30 PM
Another continuation of https://www.scarlettgatelymoore.dev/kde-gear-snaps-round-3 ! This week I solved a few more problems.
Lokalize: Dictionaries are now available via the hunspell content snap! To enable:
sudo snap install hunspell-dictionaries
sudo snap connect lokalize:hunspell-dictionaries-plug hunspell-dictionaries:hunspell-dictionaries
Ktorrent: First time release on both amd64 and arm64! Closes bug 412734Kdenlive: Glaximate animations are now available! Cl...
--------------------
Jonathan Dowland: Cosey Fanni Tutti - Guitar/Amplitude
https://jmtd.net/log/guitar_amplitude/
October 31, 2022, 9:22 AM
I haven't posted a crate digging picture for a while: Amongst other
distractions, I needed to replace my turntable needle. The dead needle lasted
me about 20 years, although a fair chunk of that was not spent not doing
anything.
I love Cosey Fanni Tutti's solo work, as well as her stuff with Chris Carter
and some other collaborations: although I was familiar with Throbbing
Gristle, it was the live experiment Carter Tutti Void and the recording of
it pressed as Transverse that got me int...
--------------------
Alastair McKinstry: An Bord Pleanála conceded that the N6 Galway City Ring Road was in ...
https://diaspora.sceal.ie/p/1192861
October 31, 2022, 8:19 AM
An Bord Pleanála conceded that the N6 Galway City Ring Road was in contravention with the National Climate Action plan.
In planning for how we adapt to and mitigate climate change, the UN IPCC AR6 report summarised the state of research globally and modelled nearly 3000 scenarios. The scenarios that kept us below 2 degrees of warming (our Paris agreement commitments) overwhelmingly depended on a move away from car-dependent societies and relied on car-free cities. This report was signed off by ...
--------------------
Utkarsh Gupta: FOSS Activites in October 2022
https://utkarsh2102.com/posts/foss-in-oct-22/
October 30, 2022, 5:41 AM
Here’s my (thirty-seventh) monthly but brief update about the activities I’ve done in the F/L/OSS world.
Debian
This was my 46th month of actively contributing to Debian.
I became a DM in late March 2019 and a DD on Christmas ‘19! o/
There’s a bunch of things I do, both, technical and non-technical. Here are the things I did this month:
Debian Uploads
ruby-espeak (1.1.0-1) - New upstream version, v1.1.0.
Other $things:
Being an AM for Arun Kumar, process #1024. Process completed. ...
--------------------
Mike Hommey: Announcing git-cinnabar 0.5.11 and 0.6.0rc2
https://glandium.org/blog/?p=4290
October 29, 2022, 9:48 PM
Git-cinnabar is a git remote helper to interact with mercurial repositories. It allows to clone, pull and push from/to mercurial remote repositories, using git.
Get version 0.5.11 on github. Or get version 0.6.0rc2 on github.
What’s new in 0.5.11?
Fixed compatibility with python 3.11.
Disabled inexact copy/rename detection, that was enabled by accident.
Updated git to 2.38.1 for the helper.
What’s new in 0.6.0rc2?
Improvements and bug fixes to git cinnabar self-update. Note: to upgrade
fr...
--------------------
Russ Allbery: California general election
https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/journal/2022-10/002.html
October 29, 2022, 7:35 PM
As usual with these every-two-year posts, probably of direct interest only
to California residents. Maybe the more obscure things we're voting on
will be a minor curiosity to people elsewhere.
Apologies to Planet Debian readers for the explicitly political post
because I'm too lazy to change my blog software to do more fine-grained
post classification. For what it's worth, most of the discussion here
will be about the more fiddly and nuanced things we vote on, not on the
major hot-button pr...
--------------------
François Marier: Making the mounting of an encrypted /home optional on a home server
https://feeding.cloud.geek.nz/posts/optional-encrypted-root-on-home-server/
October 29, 2022, 6:45 AM
I have a computer that serves as a home server as well as a desktop
machine. It has an encrypted home directory to protect user files and, in
the default configuration, that unfortunately interferes with unattended
reboots since someone needs to be present to enter the encryption password.
Here's how I added a timeout and made /home optional on that machine.
I started by adding a one-minute timeout on the password prompt by adding
timeout=60 in my /etc/crypttab:
crypt UUID=7e12c123-abcd-5555...
--------------------
Russ Allbery: Review: The Last Continent
https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/reviews/books/0-06-228019-8.html
October 29, 2022, 4:47 AM
Review: The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett

Series:
Discworld #22

Publisher:
Harper

Copyright:
1998

Printing:
May 2014

ISBN:
0-06-228019-8

Format:
Mass market

Pages:
392

This is the 22nd Discworld novel and follows Interesting Times in internal continuity. Like some of the other
Rincewind novels, it stands alone well enough that you could arguably
start reading here, but I have no idea why y...
--------------------
Louis-Philippe Véronneau: Extruded Schiit Stack
https://veronneau.org/extruded-schiit-stack.html
October 29, 2022, 4:00 AM
I've been a fan of the products manufactured by Schiit Audio for a while
now. They are affordable (for high-end audio gear), sound great, are made in
the USA1 and I think their industrial design looks great.
I first started with one of their classic "Schiit Stack"2, but
eventually upgraded to the Modi Multibit (I wanted the TOSLINK input), added a
physical EQ (the Loki) and eventually got a Sys when I bought a
Vidar speaker amp.
The original Schiit Stack — being 2 devices high — was pretty m...
--------------------
Antoine Beaupré: Debating VPN options
https://anarc.at/blog/2022-10-28-vpn-considerations/
October 28, 2022, 5:01 PM
In my home lab(s), I have a handful of machines spread around a few
points of presence, with mostly residential/commercial cable/DSL
uplinks, which means, generally, NAT. This makes monitoring those
devices kind of impossible. While I do punch holes for SSH, using jump
hosts gets old quick, so I'm considering adding a virtual private
network (a "VPN", not a VPN service) so that all machines can
be reachable from everywhere.
I see three ways this can work:
a home-made Wireguard VPN, deployed w...
--------------------
Shirish Agarwal: Shantaram, The Pyramid, Japan’s Hikikomori & Backpack
https://flossexperiences.wordpress.com/2022/10/28/shantaram-the-pyramid-japans-hikikomori-backpack/
October 28, 2022, 4:09 AM
Shantaram
I know I have been quite behind in review of books but then that’s life. First up is actually not as much as a shocker but somewhat of a pleasant surprise. So, a bit of background before I share the news. If you have been living under a rock, then about 10-12 years ago a book called Shantaram was released. While the book is said to have been released in 2003/4 I got it in my hand around 2008/09 or somewhere around that. The book is like a good meal, a buffet. To share the synopsis...
--------------------
Reproducible Builds (diffoscope): diffoscope 225 released
https://diffoscope.org/news/diffoscope-225-released/
October 28, 2022, 12:00 AM
The diffoscope maintainers are pleased to announce the release of diffoscope
version 225. This version includes the following changes:
[ Chris Lamb ]
* Add support for detecting ordering-only differences in XML files.
(Closes: #1022146)
* Fix an issue with detecting ordering differences. (Closes: #1022145)
* Add support for ttx(1) from fonttools.
(Re: reproducible-builds/diffoscope#315)
* Test improvements:
- Tidy up the JSON tests and use assert_diff over get_data and manual
assert i...
--------------------
Emmanuel Kasper: Convert a root filesystem to a bootable disk image
https://00formicapunk00.wordpress.com/2022/10/27/convert-a-root-filesystem-to-a-bootable-disk-image/
October 27, 2022, 4:21 PM
The year is 2022, and it is still that complicated to install GRUB2 externally onto a disk image.
But using the wonders of libguestfs, you can create a bootable diskimage using a qemu VM abstraction very easily.
The steps here imply we want to create a disk with a single partition containing the root filesystem.
Create an empty disk image, partition it
$ truncate --size 40G target.img
$ virt-format --add target.img --partition=mbr --filesystem=ext4
copy the root file system into a partition
cd ...
--------------------
Michael Ablassmeier: fun with pygame
https://abbbi.github.io//trktorgame/
October 27, 2022, 12:00 AM
Next year my son will turn 4. I have quit playing computer games for a pretty
long time now, but recently i questioned myself: what will be the first
computer game hes going to play? Why not create a simple game by myself?
Living on the landside, his attention has been drawn to farming machines
for quite some time now and that topic never grows old for him, which
makes for a perfect game setting.
The game logic should be pretty simple: A tiling 2d jump game where you have to
make an tractor j...
--------------------
Scarlett Gately Moore: KDE Gear snaps round 3!
https://www.scarlettgatelymoore.dev/kde-gear-snaps-round-3/
October 26, 2022, 8:52 PM
While trying to stay warm in our first snow of the year, I got several apps tested and released in round 3 of https://www.scarlettgatelymoore.dev/kde-gear-snaps-round-2/ ! All of these are being ( re ) tested on both arm64 and amd64. Hence, the release is going slower than it will in the future. Thank you for your patience.
Kalzium ( again ) Molecule editor works. Known bug downloading molecules. Just go to Home/Documents and rename the file hotsuff-access.xml to themolecule.cml and load mole...
--------------------
Arturo Borrero González: Netfilter Workshop 2022 summary
https://ral-arturo.org/2022/10/25/nfws2022.html
October 25, 2022, 9:00 AM
This is my report from the Netfilter Workshop 2022. The event was held on 2022-10-20/2022-10-21 in Seville, and the venue
was the offices of Zevenet. We started on Thursday with Pablo Neira (head of the project) giving a short
welcome / opening speech. The previous iteration of this event was in virtual fashion in 2020, two years ago.
In the year 2021 we were unable to meet either in person or online.
This year, the number of participants was just eight people, and this allowed the setup to be ...

Click here to read the complete article