From: usenet@novabbs.org (rslight rss feeds)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.tech
Subject: Planet Debian
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2022 08:11:51 +0000
 by: rslight rss feeds - Wed, 2 Nov 2022 08:11 UTC

Dirk Eddelbuettel: tint 0.1.4 on CRAN: Miscellaneous Updates
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2022/11/01#tint_0.1.4
November 1, 2022, 11:51 PM
A new version 0.1.4 of the tint package arrived at CRAN today. tint provides a style ‘not unlike Tufte’ for use in html and pdf documents created from markdown. The github repo shows several examples in its README, more as usual in the package documentation.
This is the first release in over two years and it brings a few incremental changes which are described in detail below. The trigger was an email from CRAN desiring compacted pdf files inside the package sources. Which, coincidentally, w...
--------------------
Dirk Eddelbuettel: RcppXts 0.0.5 on CRAN: Maintenance
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2022/11/01#rcppxts_0.0.6
November 1, 2022, 11:46 PM
A new maintenance release 0.0.6 of RcppXts is now on CRAN. The RcppXts package demonstrates how to access the export C API of xts which we contributed a looong time ago.
This release, like so many these days, was triggered by clang-15 wanting to see a void in an otherwise argument-less signature. We also updated a GitHub Action to avoid another nag from there.
The NEWS entries follow.
Changes in version 0.0.6 (2022-08-05)
One function prototype was updated for clang-15.
GitHub Actions were upd...
--------------------
Paul Tagliamonte: Decoding LDPC: k-Bit Brute Forcing
https://k3xec.com/ldpc-k-bit/
November 1, 2022, 11:00 PM
I've been working on the next generation of the "PACKRAT" series called
"RATPACK". I'm hoping to start writing new posts soon, and hopefully
this is an interesting note of what's to come! In the meantime, you
can check out the PACKRAT posts until then.
My initial efforts to build a PHY
and Data Link layer – from
scratch using my own code – have been progressing nicely since the initial
BPSK based protocol I’ve documented under the PACKRAT series. As part of that,
I’ve been diving deep i...
--------------------
Jonathan Dowland: Halloween playlist 2022
https://jmtd.net/log/halloween_playlist_2022/
November 1, 2022, 1:51 PM
I hope you had a nice Halloween!
I've collected together some songs that I've enjoyed over the last couple of
years that loosely fit a theme: ambient, instrumental, experimental, industrial,
dark, disconcerting, etc. I've prepared a Spotify playlist of most of
them, but not all. The list is inline below as well, with many (but not all)
tracks linking to Bandcamp, if I could find them there.
This is a bit late, sorry. If anyone listens to something here and has any
feedback I'd love to hear it....
--------------------
Russ Allbery: Review: What Makes This Book So Great
https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/reviews/books/0-7653-3193-4.html
November 1, 2022, 4:59 AM
Review: What Makes This Book So Great, by Jo Walton

Publisher:
Tor

Copyright:
January 2014

ISBN:
0-7653-3193-4

Format:
Hardcover

Pages:
447

Jo Walton, in addition to being an excellent science fiction and fantasy
writer, is a prodigious reader and frequent participant in on-line SFF
book discussion going back to the Usenet days. This book is a collection
of short essays previously published on Tor.com between July 2008 an...
--------------------
Paul Wise: FLOSS Activities October 2022
http://bonedaddy.net/pabs3/log/2022/11/01/floss-activities/
November 1, 2022, 4:20 AM
Focus
This month I didn't have any particular focus.
I just worked on issues in my info bubble.
Changes
wayback-machine-downloader:
fix typo
reportbug:
add affects/xcc
libredirect:
cleanup
zxing-cpp:
add help options
Debian release website:
reorder essential list
Debian screenshots:
deleted
mpv (proprietary video)
Debian usertags:
fix misapplied riscv64 tags due to malformatted email
Debian wiki pages:
ArchitectureSpecificsMemo,
BSP/Hosting,
DebianLogo,
DebianSoftware,
DebianWomen,
Develop...
--------------------
Dirk Eddelbuettel: RcppRedis 0.2.2 on CRAN: Maintenance and Enhancement
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2022/10/31#rcppredis_0.2.2
November 1, 2022, 12:32 AM
A new minor release 0.2.2 of our RcppRedis package arrived on CRAN this evening. RcppRedis is one of several packages connecting R to the fabulous Redis in-memory datastructure store (and much more). RcppRedis does not pretend to be feature complete, but it may do some things faster than the other interfaces, and also offers an optional coupling with MessagePack binary (de)serialization via RcppMsgPack. The package has carried production loads for several years now.
This packages now brings a ne...
--------------------
Louis-Philippe Véronneau: Montreal's Debian & Stuff - October 2022
https://veronneau.org/montreals-debian-stuff-october-2022.html
October 31, 2022, 9:45 PM
Our local Debian user group gathered on Sunday October 30th to chat, work on
Debian and do other, non-Debian related hacking :) This time around, we met at
EfficiOS's1 offices. As you can see from the following
picture, it's a great place and the view they have is pretty awesome. Many
thanks for hosting us!
This was our 4th meeting this year and once again, attendance was great: 10
people showed up to work on various things.
Following our bi-monthly schedule, our next meeting should be in Decem...
--------------------
Scarlett Gately Moore: KDE Gear Snaps fixes and new releases
https://www.scarlettgatelymoore.dev/kde-gear-snaps-fixes-and-new-releases/
October 31, 2022, 9:30 PM
Another continuation of https://www.scarlettgatelymoore.dev/kde-gear-snaps-round-3 ! This week I solved a few more problems.
Lokalize: Dictionaries are now available via the hunspell content snap! To enable:
sudo snap install hunspell-dictionaries
sudo snap connect lokalize:hunspell-dictionaries-plug hunspell-dictionaries:hunspell-dictionaries
Ktorrent: First time release on both amd64 and arm64! Closes bug 412734Kdenlive: Glaximate animations are now available! Cl...
--------------------
Jonathan Dowland: Cosey Fanni Tutti - Guitar/Amplitude
https://jmtd.net/log/guitar_amplitude/
October 31, 2022, 9:22 AM
I haven't posted a crate digging picture for a while: Amongst other
distractions, I needed to replace my turntable needle. The dead needle lasted
me about 20 years, although a fair chunk of that was not spent not doing
anything.
I love Cosey Fanni Tutti's solo work, as well as her stuff with Chris Carter
and some other collaborations: although I was familiar with Throbbing
Gristle, it was the live experiment Carter Tutti Void and the recording of
it pressed as Transverse that got me int...
--------------------
Alastair McKinstry: An Bord Pleanála conceded that the N6 Galway City Ring Road was in ...
https://diaspora.sceal.ie/p/1192861
October 31, 2022, 8:19 AM
An Bord Pleanála conceded that the N6 Galway City Ring Road was in contravention with the National Climate Action plan.
In planning for how we adapt to and mitigate climate change, the UN IPCC AR6 report summarised the state of research globally and modelled nearly 3000 scenarios. The scenarios that kept us below 2 degrees of warming (our Paris agreement commitments) overwhelmingly depended on a move away from car-dependent societies and relied on car-free cities. This report was signed off by ...
--------------------
Dirk Eddelbuettel: RcppGSL 0.3.12 on CRAN: Maintenance
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2022/10/30#rcppgsl_0.3.12
October 31, 2022, 12:59 AM
A new release 0.3.12 of RcppGSL is now on CRAN. The RcppGSL package provides an interface from R to the GNU GSL by relying on the Rcpp package.
This release accomodates, just like so many other releases this week, the more stringent views of clang-15 about what a correct function prototype is. While we were at it, an updatet to GitHub Actions was made as well.
The NEWS entry follows:
Changes in version 0.3.12 (2022-10-30)
Two function prototypes were updated for clang-15.
GitHub Actions were u...
--------------------
Dirk Eddelbuettel: RcppBDT 0.2.6 on CRAN: Maintenance
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2022/10/30#rcppbdt_0.2.6
October 31, 2022, 12:53 AM
A minor maintenance release for the RcppBDT package is now on CRAN.
The RcppBDT package is an early adopter of Rcpp and was one of the first packages utilizing Boost and its Date_Time library. The now more widely-used package anytime is a direct descentant of RcppBDT.
This release accomodates, just like so many other releases this week, the more stringent views of clang-15 about what a correct function prototype is. While we were at it, an updatet to GitHub Actions was made as well.
The NEWS ent...
--------------------
Mike Hommey: Announcing git-cinnabar 0.5.11 and 0.6.0rc2
https://glandium.org/blog/?p=4290
October 29, 2022, 9:48 PM
Git-cinnabar is a git remote helper to interact with mercurial repositories. It allows to clone, pull and push from/to mercurial remote repositories, using git.
Get version 0.5.11 on github. Or get version 0.6.0rc2 on github.
What’s new in 0.5.11?
Fixed compatibility with python 3.11.
Disabled inexact copy/rename detection, that was enabled by accident.
Updated git to 2.38.1 for the helper.
What’s new in 0.6.0rc2?
Improvements and bug fixes to git cinnabar self-update. Note: to upgrade
fr...
--------------------
Russ Allbery: California general election
https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/journal/2022-10/002.html
October 29, 2022, 7:35 PM
As usual with these every-two-year posts, probably of direct interest only
to California residents. Maybe the more obscure things we're voting on
will be a minor curiosity to people elsewhere.
Apologies to Planet Debian readers for the explicitly political post
because I'm too lazy to change my blog software to do more fine-grained
post classification. For what it's worth, most of the discussion here
will be about the more fiddly and nuanced things we vote on, not on the
major hot-button pr...
--------------------
François Marier: Making the mounting of an encrypted /home optional on a home server
https://feeding.cloud.geek.nz/posts/optional-encrypted-root-on-home-server/
October 29, 2022, 6:45 AM
I have a computer that serves as a home server as well as a desktop
machine. It has an encrypted home directory to protect user files and, in
the default configuration, that unfortunately interferes with unattended
reboots since someone needs to be present to enter the encryption password.
Here's how I added a timeout and made /home optional on that machine.
I started by adding a one-minute timeout on the password prompt by adding
timeout=60 in my /etc/crypttab:
crypt UUID=7e12c123-abcd-5555...
--------------------
Russ Allbery: Review: The Last Continent
https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/reviews/books/0-06-228019-8.html
October 29, 2022, 4:47 AM
Review: The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett

Series:
Discworld #22

Publisher:
Harper

Copyright:
1998

Printing:
May 2014

ISBN:
0-06-228019-8

Format:
Mass market

Pages:
392

This is the 22nd Discworld novel and follows Interesting Times in internal continuity. Like some of the other
Rincewind novels, it stands alone well enough that you could arguably
start reading here, but I have no idea why y...
--------------------
Louis-Philippe Véronneau: Extruded Schiit Stack
https://veronneau.org/extruded-schiit-stack.html
October 29, 2022, 4:00 AM
I've been a fan of the products manufactured by Schiit Audio for a while
now. They are affordable (for high-end audio gear), sound great, are made in
the USA1 and I think their industrial design looks great.
I first started with one of their classic "Schiit Stack"2, but
eventually upgraded to the Modi Multibit (I wanted the TOSLINK input), added a
physical EQ (the Loki) and eventually got a Sys when I bought a
Vidar speaker amp.
The original Schiit Stack — being 2 devices high — was pretty m...
--------------------
Antoine Beaupré: Debating VPN options
https://anarc.at/blog/2022-10-28-vpn-considerations/
October 28, 2022, 5:01 PM
In my home lab(s), I have a handful of machines spread around a few
points of presence, with mostly residential/commercial cable/DSL
uplinks, which means, generally, NAT. This makes monitoring those
devices kind of impossible. While I do punch holes for SSH, using jump
hosts gets old quick, so I'm considering adding a virtual private
network (a "VPN", not a VPN service) so that all machines can
be reachable from everywhere.
I see three ways this can work:
a home-made Wireguard VPN, deployed w...
--------------------
Shirish Agarwal: Shantaram, The Pyramid, Japan’s Hikikomori & Backpack
https://flossexperiences.wordpress.com/2022/10/28/shantaram-the-pyramid-japans-hikikomori-backpack/
October 28, 2022, 4:09 AM
Shantaram
I know I have been quite behind in review of books but then that’s life. First up is actually not as much as a shocker but somewhat of a pleasant surprise. So, a bit of background before I share the news. If you have been living under a rock, then about 10-12 years ago a book called Shantaram was released. While the book is said to have been released in 2003/4 I got it in my hand around 2008/09 or somewhere around that. The book is like a good meal, a buffet. To share the synopsis...
--------------------
Reproducible Builds (diffoscope): diffoscope 225 released
https://diffoscope.org/news/diffoscope-225-released/
October 28, 2022, 12:00 AM
The diffoscope maintainers are pleased to announce the release of diffoscope
version 225. This version includes the following changes:
[ Chris Lamb ]
* Add support for detecting ordering-only differences in XML files.
(Closes: #1022146)
* Fix an issue with detecting ordering differences. (Closes: #1022145)
* Add support for ttx(1) from fonttools.
(Re: reproducible-builds/diffoscope#315)
* Test improvements:
- Tidy up the JSON tests and use assert_diff over get_data and manual
assert i...
--------------------
Emmanuel Kasper: Convert a root filesystem to a bootable disk image
https://00formicapunk00.wordpress.com/2022/10/27/convert-a-root-filesystem-to-a-bootable-disk-image/
October 27, 2022, 4:21 PM
The year is 2022, and it is still that complicated to install GRUB2 externally onto a disk image.
But using the wonders of libguestfs, you can create a bootable diskimage using a qemu VM abstraction very easily.
The steps here imply we want to create a disk with a single partition containing the root filesystem.
Create an empty disk image, partition it
$ truncate --size 40G target.img
$ virt-format --add target.img --partition=mbr --filesystem=ext4
copy the root file system into a partition
cd ...
--------------------
Michael Ablassmeier: fun with pygame
https://abbbi.github.io//trktorgame/
October 27, 2022, 12:00 AM
Next year my son will turn 4. I have quit playing computer games for a pretty
long time now, but recently i questioned myself: what will be the first
computer game hes going to play? Why not create a simple game by myself?
Living on the landside, his attention has been drawn to farming machines
for quite some time now and that topic never grows old for him, which
makes for a perfect game setting.
The game logic should be pretty simple: A tiling 2d jump game where you have to
make an tractor j...
--------------------
Scarlett Gately Moore: KDE Gear snaps round 3!
https://www.scarlettgatelymoore.dev/kde-gear-snaps-round-3/
October 26, 2022, 8:52 PM
While trying to stay warm in our first snow of the year, I got several apps tested and released in round 3 of https://www.scarlettgatelymoore.dev/kde-gear-snaps-round-2/ ! All of these are being ( re ) tested on both arm64 and amd64. Hence, the release is going slower than it will in the future. Thank you for your patience.
Kalzium ( again ) Molecule editor works. Known bug downloading molecules. Just go to Home/Documents and rename the file hotsuff-access.xml to themolecule.cml and load mole...
--------------------
Russ Allbery: Review: The Golden Enclaves
https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/reviews/books/0-593-15836-9.html
October 26, 2022, 3:33 AM
Review: The Golden Enclaves, by Naomi Novik

Series:
The Scholomance #3

Publisher:
Del Rey

Copyright:
2022

ISBN:
0-593-15836-9

Format:
Kindle

Pages:
408

The Golden Enclaves is the third and concluding book of the
Scholomance trilogy and picks up literally the instant after the end of
The Last Graduate. The three books form
a coherent and complete story that under absolutely no circumstances
should be read out...
--------------------
Arturo Borrero González: Netfilter Workshop 2022 summary
https://ral-arturo.org/2022/10/25/nfws2022.html
October 25, 2022, 9:00 AM
This is my report from the Netfilter Workshop 2022. The event was held on 2022-10-20/2022-10-21 in Seville, and the venue
was the offices of Zevenet. We started on Thursday with Pablo Neira (head of the project) giving a short
welcome / opening speech. The previous iteration of this event was in virtual fashion in 2020, two years ago.
In the year 2021 we were unable to meet either in person or online.
This year, the number of participants was just eight people, and this allowed the setup to be ...
--------------------
Russ Allbery: Review: A Spaceship Repair Girl Supposedly Named Rachel
https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/reviews/books/1-63789-763-4.html
October 25, 2022, 4:20 AM
Review: A Spaceship Repair Girl Supposedly Named Rachel, by Richard Roberts

Publisher:
Mystique Press

Copyright:
2022

ISBN:
1-63789-763-4

Format:
Kindle

Pages:
353

Rachel had snuck out of the house to sit on the hill, to write and draw in
rare peace and quiet, when a bus fell out of the sky like a meteor and
plowed into the ground in front of her. This is quickly followed by a
baffling encounter with a seven-foot-tall man...
--------------------
Mike Gabriel: Ubuntu Touch development - Wanna sponsor ARM64 CPU power for CI build infrastructure?
https://sunweavers.net/blog/node/141
October 20, 2022, 7:59 PM
What is Ubuntu Touch? (And what does sunweaver have to do with it?)
With Ubuntu Touch, the UBports Foundation offers a truly unique mobile experience - a viable alternative to Android and iOS. The UBports community provides a free and open-source GNU/Linux-based mobile operating system. One that can be installed and used today.
Currently, there is an intensive effort going on lifting Ubuntu Touch from its current Ubuntu 16.04 base up to an Ubuntu 20.04 base. (And very soon after that to an Ubu...
--------------------
Scarlett Gately Moore: KDE Gear Snaps round 2
https://www.scarlettgatelymoore.dev/kde-gear-snaps-round-2/
October 20, 2022, 4:52 PM
As a continuation of https://www.scarlettgatelymoore.dev/new-kde-gear-snaps-in-the-works/
Todays releases, tested on both amd64 and arm64, are:
FalkonUmbrelloStepKompareRocs ( First time release on arm! )KgoldrunnerGwenview
This week has also been a busy week gardening snap bugs in bugs.kde.org. They are all over the place I am trying to sort out getting them there own section. I have assigned all snap bugs I have found to myself and requested that this is default. If you have bugs, pl...
--------------------
Shirish Agarwal: Pune Rains, Uncosted Budgets, Hearing Loss Covid, Fracking
https://flossexperiences.wordpress.com/2022/10/20/pune-rains-uncosted-budgets-hearing-loss-covid-fracking/
October 19, 2022, 8:11 PM
Pune Rains
Lemme start with a slightly funny picture that tells as much about Pune, my city as anything else does.
Pune- Leave your attitude behind, we have our own
This and similar tags, puns and whatnot you will find if you are entering Pune from the road highway. You can also find similar similar symbols and Puns all over the city and they are partly sarcasm and ironic and partly the truth. Puneities work from the attitude that they know everything rather than nothing, including your...
--------------------
Petter Reinholdtsen: Managing and using ONVIF IP cameras with Linux
https://people.skolelinux.org/pere/blog/Managing_and_using_ONVIF_IP_cameras_with_Linux.html
October 19, 2022, 10:30 AM
Recently I have been looking at how to control and collect data
from a handful IP cameras using Linux. I both wanted to change their
settings and to make their imagery available via a free software
service under my control. Here is a summary of the tools I found.
First I had to identify the cameras and their protocols. As far as
I could tell, they were using some SOAP looking protocol and their
internal web server seem to only work with Microsoft Internet Explorer
with some proprietary binar...
--------------------
Scarlett Gately Moore: New KDE Gear snaps in the works
https://www.scarlettgatelymoore.dev/new-kde-gear-snaps-in-the-works/
October 17, 2022, 7:53 PM
KDE Extras 22.08.2 was released! https://kde.org/announcements/gear/22.08.2/
So… I am working on new snaps! This release also includes a new content snap I made with frameworks 5.98 and Qt 5.15.6. With all the new goodness, I am (Re) testing all snaps to make sure they are working as expected.
You can find a link to all of my snap releases from the KDE Snap Store Releases on the menu above.
Some notable releases that have new fixes and improvements are:
Kalzium: Molecular editor n...
--------------------
Dima Kogan: gnuplot output in an FLTK widget
http://notes.secretsauce.net/notes/2022/10/17_gnuplot-output-in-an-fltk-widget.html
October 17, 2022, 7:28 PM
Overview
I make a lot of plots, and the fragmentation of tools in this space really
bugs me. People writing Python code mostly use matplotlib, R people use
ggplot2. MS people use the internal Excel thing. I've seen people use
gtkdatabox for GTK widgets, rrdtool for logging, qcustomplot for qt. And
so on. This is really unhelpful, and it would benefit everybody if there was a
single solid plotting backend with lots of bindings to different languages and
tools.
For my own usage, I've been fig...
--------------------
Jeremy Bicha: Ubuntu bug fix anniversary
https://jeremy.bicha.net/2022/10/17/ubuntu-bug-fix-anniversary/
October 17, 2022, 1:54 PM
I first installed Ubuntu when Ubuntu 6.06 LTS “Dapper Drake” was released. I was brand new to Linux. This was Ubuntu’s first LTS release; the very first release of Ubuntu was only a year and a half before. I was impressed by how usable and useful the system was. It soon became my primary home operating system and I wanted to help make it better.
On October 15, 2009, I was helping test the release candidates ISOs for the Ubuntu 9.10 release. Specifically, I tested Edubuntu. Edubuntu has ...
--------------------
Sven Hoexter: CentOS 9, stunnel, an openssl memory leak and a VirtualBox crash
http://sven.stormbind.net/blog/posts/centos_c9s_stunnel_memleak/
October 16, 2022, 6:24 PM
tl;dr; OpenSSL 3.0.1 leaks memory in ssl3_setup_write_buffer(), seems to be
fixed in 3.0.5. The issue manifests at least in stunnel and keepalived on CentOS 9.
In addition I learned the hard way that running a not so recent VirtualBox version
on Debian bullseye let to dh parameter generation crashing in libcrypto in
bn_sqr8x_internal().
A recent rabbit hole I went down. The actual bug in openssl was nailed down and
documented by
Quentin Armitage on GitHub in keepalived
My bugreport with all bac...
--------------------
Colin Watson: Reproducible man-db databases
https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~cjwatson/blog/reproducible-man-db-databases.html
October 16, 2022, 3:54 PM
I’ve released man-db 2.11.0
(announcement,
NEWS), and
uploaded it to Debian unstable.
The biggest chunk of work here was fixing some extremely long-standing
issues with how the database is built. Despite being in the package name,
man-db’s database is much less important than it used to be: most uses of
man(1) haven’t required it in a long time, and both hardware and
software
improvements
mean that even some searches can be done by brute force without needing
prior indexing. However, th...
--------------------
Aigars Mahinovs: Ryzen 7000 amdgpu boot hang
http://aigarius.com/blog/2022/10/16/ryzen-7000-amdgpu/
October 16, 2022, 2:15 PM
So you decided to build a brand new system using all the latest and coolest tech, so you buy a Ryzen 7000 series
Zen 4 CPU, like the Ryzen 7700X that I picked, with a new mother board and DDR5 memory and all that jazz. But for
now, you don't yet have a fitting GPU for that system (as the new ones will only come out in November), so you are
booting a Debian system using the new build-in video card of the new CPUs (Zen 4 generation has a simple AMD GPU
build-in into every CPU now - great stuff for...
--------------------
Vincent Fourmond: Tutorial: analysis of multiwavelength fast kinetics data
https://vince-debian.blogspot.com/2022/10/tutorial-analyse-multiwavelength-fast.html
October 16, 2022, 12:54 PM
The purpose of this post is to demonstrate a first approach to the analysis of multiwavelength kinetic data, like those obtained using stopped-flow data. To practice, we will use data that were acquired during the stopped flow practicals of the MetBio summer school from the FrenchBIC. During the practicals, the student monitored the reaction of myoglobin (in its Fe(III) state) with azide, which yields a fast and strong change in the absorbance spectrum of the protein, which was monitored using a...
--------------------
kpcyrd: updlockfiles: Manage lockfiles in PKGBUILDs for upstreams that don't ship them
https://vulns.xyz/2022/10/updlockfiles/
October 16, 2022, 12:00 AM
I’ve released a new tool to manage lockfiles for Arch Linux packages that can’t use a lockfile from the official upstream release. It integrates closely with other Arch Linux tooling like updpkgsums that’s already used to pin the content of build inputs in PKGBUILD.
To use this, the downstream lockfile becomes an additional source input in the source= array of our PKGBUILD (this is already the case for some packages).
source=("git+https://github.com/vimeo/psalm.git#commit=${_commit}"
--------------------
Jonathan Dowland: podman generate
https://jmtd.net/log/podman_generate/
October 15, 2022, 10:04 AM
I've been working with and on container technology for seven years, but I still
learn new things every day. Recently I read the excellent LWN article Docker
and the OCI container ecosystem and this was
news to me:
Running the docker CLI under a process supervisor only results in supervising
the CLI process. This has a variety of consequences for users of these tools.
For example, any attempt to limit a container's memory usage by running the
CLI as a systemd service will fail; the limits will o...
--------------------
Steinar H. Gunderson: Firsts
http://blog.sesse.net/blog/tech/2022-10-14-19-00_firsts.html
October 14, 2022, 5:15 PM
Two nice “firsts” for me in tech this month:
First Chromium feature I'm leading (previous work has mostly been
about optimizations): CSS Nesting.
(Note that the CSSWG is still ironing out the exact spec.)
First patch to a Rust project: Function context for Difftastic.
(Not yet processed by upstream.)...
--------------------
Shirish Agarwal: Dowry, Racism, Railways
https://flossexperiences.wordpress.com/2022/10/14/dowry-racism-railways/
October 14, 2022, 5:03 PM
Dowry
Few days back, had posted about the movie Raksha Bandhan and whatever I felt about it. Sadly, just couple of days back, somebody shared this link. Part of me was shocked and part of me was not. Couple of acquaintances of mine in the past had said the same thing for their daughters. And in such situations you are generally left speechless because you don’t know what the right thing to do is. If he has shared it with you being an outsider, how many times he must have told the same to th...
--------------------
Simon Josefsson: On language bindings & Relaunching Guile-GnuTLS
https://blog.josefsson.org/2022/10/14/on-language-bindings-relaunching-guile-gnutls/
October 14, 2022, 1:58 PM
The Guile bindings for GnuTLS has been part of GnuTLS since spring 2007 when Ludovic Courtès contributed it after some initial discussion. I have been looking into getting back to do GnuTLS coding, and during a recent GnuTLS meeting one topic was Guile bindings. It seemed like a fairly self-contained project to pick up on. It is interesting to re-read the old thread when this work was included: some of the concerns brought up there now have track record to be evaluated on. My opinion that t...
--------------------
Gunnar Wolf: Learning some Rust with Lars!
https://gwolf.org/2022/10/learning-some-rust-with-lars.html
October 14, 2022, 5:11 AM
A couple of weeks ago, I read a blog post by former Debian Developer
Lars Wirzenius
offering a free basic (6hr) course on the Rust language to interested
free software and open source software programmers.
I know Lars offers training courses in
programming, and besides knowing him for
~20 years and being proud to consider us to be friends, have worked
with him in a couple of projects (i.e. he is upstream for
vmdb2, which I maintain in
Debian and use for generating
the Raspberry Pi Debian images...
--------------------
Ben Hutchings: Debian LTS work, August-September 2022
https://www.decadent.org.uk/ben/blog/debian-lts-work-august-september-2022.html
October 11, 2022, 2:33 PM
I have continued to work for Freexian on Debian LTS. In August I
carried over 21 hours from July, and worked 13 hours. In September
I was assigned an additional 17 hours, and worked 16 hours. I will
carry over 9 hours into October.
In August, Debian 10 "buster" entered LTS status. I spent some time
on the backport of Linux 5.10 for buster. While this previously
existed in buster-backports, further changes were required to add it
as an alternative kernel version in buster-sec...
--------------------
Ian Jackson: Skipping releases when upgrading Debian systems
https://diziet.dreamwidth.org/13087.html
October 10, 2022, 3:48 PM
Debian does not officially support upgrading from earlier than the previous stable release: you’re not supposed to “skip” releases. Instead, you’re supposed to upgrade to each intervening major release in turn.
However, skipping intervening releases does, in fact, often work quite well. Apparently, this is surprising to many people, even Debian insiders. I was encouraged to write about it some more.
My personal experience
I have three conventionally-managed personal server systems (by wh...
--------------------
Joachim Breitner: rec-def: Minesweeper case study
http://www.joachim-breitner.de/blog/796-rec-def__Minesweeper_case_study
October 10, 2022, 8:22 AM
I’m on the train back from MuniHac, where I gave a talk about the rec-def library that I have excessively blogged about recently (here, here, here and here). I got quite flattering comments about that talk, so if you want to see if they were sincere, I suggest you watch the recording of “Getting recursive definitions off their bottoms” (but it’s not necessary for the following).
After the talk, Franz Thoma approached me and told me a story of how we was once implementing the game Mineswe...
--------------------
Jonathan Dowland: Focus writing with (despite) LaTeX
https://jmtd.net/log/latex_writing/
October 9, 2022, 7:54 PM
LaTeX — the age-old typesetting system — makes me angry. Not because it's bad.
To clarify, not because there's something better. But because there should
be.
When writing a document using LaTeX, if you are prone to procrastination
it can be very difficult to focus on the task at hand, because there are so
many yaks to shave. Here's a few points of advice.
format the document source for legible reading. Yes, it's the input
to the typesetter, and yes, the output of the typesetter needs to b...
--------------------
Emmanuel Kasper: Markdown CMS or Wiki for smallish website
https://00formicapunk00.wordpress.com/2022/10/09/markdown-cms-or-wiki-for-smallish-website/
October 9, 2022, 11:20 AM
Following my markdown craze, I am slowly starting to move my Dokuwiki based homesite to Grav, a flat file Markdown CMS.
PHP will be always be PHP, but the documentation and usage seem sound (all config is either via an admin panel or editing YAML files) and it has professional support.
I intend to use this Debian based Dockerfile and Podman to deploy Grav.
Pandoc the talented document converter, hat support for Dokuwiki syntax, Markdown and PHP Markdown extra, so I expected limited hurdles whe...
--------------------
Sergio Talens-Oliag: Shared networking for Virtual Machines and Containers
https://blogops.mixinet.net/posts/shared_networking_for_vms_and_containers/
October 9, 2022, 9:45 AM
This entry explains how I have configured a linux bridge, dnsmasq and
iptables to be able to run and communicate different virtualization systems
and containers on laptops running Debian GNU/Linux.
I’ve used different variations of this setup for a long time with
VirtualBox and KVM for
the Virtual Machines and Linux-VServer,
OpenVZ, LXC and lately
Docker or Podman for the
Containers.
Required packagesI’m running Debian Sid with systemd and network-manager to configure the
WiFi and Ethernet i...
--------------------
Steve Kemp: Trivial benchmarks of toy languages
https://blog.steve.fi/trivial_benchmarks_of_toy_languages.html
October 8, 2022, 11:15 AM
Over the past few months (years?) I've posted on my blog about the various toy interpreters I've written.
I've used a couple of scripting languages/engines in my professional career, but in public I think I've implemented
BASIC
https://github.com/skx/gobasic
evalfilter
https://github.com/skx/evalfilter
(Basically the same as the bytecode VM of Monkey).
FORTH
https://github.com/skx/foth
Lisp
https://github.com/skx/yal
Monkey
https://github.com/skx/monkey
TCL
https://github.com...
--------------------
Reproducible Builds: Reproducible Builds in September 2022
https://reproducible-builds.org/reports/2022-09/
October 7, 2022, 9:25 PM
Welcome to the September 2022 report from the Reproducible Builds project! In our reports we try to outline the most important things that we have been up to over the past month. As a quick recap, whilst anyone may inspect the source code of free software for malicious flaws, almost all software is distributed to end users as pre-compiled binaries. If you are interested in contributing to the project, please visit our Contribute page on our website.
David A. Wheeler reported to us that the ...
--------------------
Edward Betts: Fish shell now has underscore as a number separator (my feature request)
https://edwardbetts.com/blog/fish-shell-underscore-number-separator
October 7, 2022, 1:05 PM
In November 2021 I filed a feature request for the fish shell to add underscore as a thousand separator in
numbers. My feature request has been implemented and is available
in fish 3.5.0, released 16 June 2022.
The fish shell supports mathematical operations using the math command.
edward@x1c9 ~&gt; math 2_000 + 22
2022
edward@x1c9 ~&gt;
The underscore can be used as a thousand separator, but there are other uses for a number separator. Here's a list taken
from a post by Mathias Bynens abou...
--------------------
Reproducible Builds (diffoscope): diffoscope 224 released
https://diffoscope.org/news/diffoscope-224-released/
October 7, 2022, 12:00 AM
The diffoscope maintainers are pleased to announce the release of diffoscope
version 224. This version includes the following changes:
[ Mattia Rizzolo ]
* Fix rlib test failure with LLVM 15. Thanks to Gianfranco Costamagna
(locutusofborg) for the patch.
You find out more by visiting the project homepage....
--------------------
Matthew Garrett: Cloud desktops aren't as good as you'd think
https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/61535.html
October 6, 2022, 8:31 AM
Fast laptops are expensive, cheap laptops are slow. But even a fast laptop is slower than a decent workstation, and if your developers want a local build environment they're probably going to want a decent workstation. They'll want a fast (and expensive) laptop as well, though, because they're not going to carry their workstation home with them and obviously you expect them to be able to work from home. And in two or three years they'll probably want a new laptop and a new workstation, and that'...
--------------------
Jonathan Dowland: git worktrees
https://jmtd.net/log/worktrees/
October 6, 2022, 7:04 AM
I work on OpenJDK backports:
taking a patch that was committed to a current version of JDK, and adapting it
to an older one. There are four main OpenJDK versions that I am concerned with:
the current version ("jdk"), 8, 11 and 17. These are all maintained in separate
Git(Hub) repositories.
It's very useful to have access to the other JDKs when working on any
particular version. For example, to backport a patch from the latest version to
17, where the delta is not too big, a lot of the time you ...
--------------------
Abhijith PA: Laptop refreshment
https://abhijithpa.me/2022/Laptop-refresh/
October 4, 2022, 9:53 AM
(Sorry if you have read this already, due to a tag mistake, my draft
copy got published)
I recently bought a refurbished thinkpad x260. If you have read my
post of my &lt;a href=”&lt;!DOCTYPE html&gt;

Laptop refreshment

Abhijith PA

Hello, I'm Abhijith. A Fr...
--------------------
Dima Kogan: mrcal 2.2 released
http://notes.secretsauce.net/notes/2022/10/04_mrcal-22-released.html
October 4, 2022, 1:05 AM
Today I released mrcal 2.2 (the release notes are available here). This release
contains lots of medium-important internal improvements, and is a result of
Heavy dogfooding. I use these tools a lot every day, and many things are
nicer, easier and work better in 2.2 than in 2.1
Not-yet-completed cool new functionality. Some of the required internal
improvements for the big new features are being released here.
The biggest single new feature in this release is the interactive graphical too...
--------------------
Mike Hommey: Announcing git-cinnabar 0.6.0rc1
https://glandium.org/blog/?p=4286
October 3, 2022, 10:26 PM
Git-cinnabar is a git remote helper to interact with mercurial repositories. It allows to clone, pull and push from/to mercurial remote repositories, using git.
Get it on github.
These release notes are also available on the git-cinnabar wiki.
What’s new since 0.5.10?
Full rewrite of git-cinnabar in Rust.
Push performance is between twice and 10 times faster than 0.5.x, depending on scenarios.
Based on git 2.38.0.
git cinnabar fetch now accepts a --tags flag to fetch tags.
git cinnabar bundle...
Shirish Agarwal: Death Certificate, Legal Heir, Succession Certificate, and Indian Bureaucracy.
https://flossexperiences.wordpress.com/2022/10/04/death-certificate-legal-heir-succession-certificate-and-indian-beaureacracy/
October 3, 2022, 9:00 PM
Death Certificate
After waiting for almost two, two, and a half months, I finally got mum’s death certificate last week. A part of me was saddened as it felt like I was nailing her or putting nails to the coffin or whatever it is, (even though I’m an Agarwal) I just felt sad and awful. I was told just get a death certificate and your problems will be over. Some people wanted me to give some amount under the table or something which I didn’t want to party of and because of that perhaps i...

Click here to read the complete article