From: usenet@novabbs.org (rslight rss feeds)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.tech
Subject: Planet Debian
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2022 07:43:22 +0000
 by: rslight rss feeds - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 07:43 UTC

Antoine Beaupré: Deleted GitLab forks from my account
https://anarc.at/blog/2022-09-06-deleted-gitlab/
September 7, 2022, 1:34 AM
I have just deleted two forks I had of the GitLab project in my
gitlab.com account. I did this after receiving a warning that quotas
would now start to be enforced. It didn't say that I was going over
quota, so I actually had to go look in the usage quotas page,
which stated I was using 5.6GB of storage.
I found that puzzling: maybe wallabako? I build images there in
CI... Or the ISOs in stressant?
Nope. The biggest disk users were... my forks of gitlab-ce and
gitlab-ee (now respectively calle...
--------------------
Louis-Philippe Véronneau: Montreal's Debian & Stuff - August 2022
https://veronneau.org/montreals-debian-stuff-august-2022.html
September 6, 2022, 8:15 PM
Our local Debian user group gathered on Sunday August 28th1 at the very
hackish Foulab for the August 2022 edition of our "Debian &amp; Stuff"
meetings.
As always, the event was a success and we had lots of fun. Nine people showed
up, including some new faces and people I hadn't seen in a while:

Animated picture of the people present at the event.
On my side, although I was badly sleep-deprived 2, I still managed to be
somewhat productive!
One of the WiFi Access Points we use in our 4-ap...
--------------------
Shirish Agarwal: Debian on Phone
https://flossexperiences.wordpress.com/2022/09/06/debian-on-phone/
September 6, 2022, 4:41 PM
History
Before I start, the game I was talking about is called Cell To Singularity. Now I haven’t gone much in the game as I have shared but think that the Singularity it refers to is the Technological Singularity that people think will happen. Whether that will happen or not is open to debate to one and all. This is going to be a bit long one.
Confession Time :- When I was sharing in the blog post, I had no clue that we actually had sessions on it in this year’s Debconf. I just saw t...
--------------------
Jonathan Dowland: Borg corrupted hints file
https://jmtd.net/log/borg_woes/
September 6, 2022, 3:29 PM
I've been using Borg backup for a couple of years and it has
seemingly worked very well for me. One difference I really appreciate from my
previous arrangement (rdiff-backup) is the freedom to move large
files or file hierarchies around (including between different filesystems)
without provoking large backup incrementals.
About a week ago I had my first real problem with Borg: backups started to
fail with the following complaints:
Creating archive at "/backup/borg::{hostname}-home-jon-{now:%Y-...
--------------------
Junichi Uekawa: September.
http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/diary/daily/2022-Sep-4.html.en#2022-Sep-4-11:28:43
September 4, 2022, 2:28 AM
September. Digging into why my apt-get doesn't complete.
--------------------
Joachim Breitner: More recursive definitions
http://www.joachim-breitner.de/blog/792-More_recursive_definitions
September 3, 2022, 12:31 PM
Haskell is a pure and lazy programming language, and the laziness allows us to write some algorithms very elegantly, by recursively referring to already calculated values. A typical example is the following definition of the Fibonacci numbers, as an infinite stream:
fibs = 0 : 1 : zipWith (+) fibs (tail fibs)
Elegant graph traversals
A maybe more practical example is the following calculation of the transitive closure of a graph:
import qualified Data.Set as S
import qualified Data.Map as M
typ...
--------------------
Shirish Agarwal: Fantasy, J.R.R. Tolkein
https://flossexperiences.wordpress.com/2022/09/03/fantasy-j-r-r-tolkein/
September 3, 2022, 5:02 AM
J.R.R. Tolkein
Now unless you have been living under a rock cave, I am sure you know who Mr. Tolkein is. Apparently, the gentleman passed away on 2nd September 1973 at the sprightly age of 80. And this gives fans like me to talk about fantasy, fantasy authors, and the love-hate relationship we have with them. For a matter of record, I am currently reading Babylon Steel by Gaie Sebold. Now while I won’t go into many details (I never like to, if I enjoy a book, I would want the book to be mys...
--------------------
Kunal Mehta: Kiwix in Debian, 2022 update
https://blog.legoktm.com/2022/09/02/kiwix-in-debian-2022-update.html
September 2, 2022, 3:06 AM
Previous updates: 2018, 2021
Kiwix is an offline content reader, best known
for distributing copies of Wikipedia. I have been maintaining it in Debian
since 2017.
This year most of the work has been keeping all the packages up to date in anticipation of next year's Debian 12 Bookworm release,
including several transitions
for new libzim and libkiwix versions.
libzim: 6.3.0 → 8.0.0
zim-tools: 2.1.0 → 3.1.1
python-libzim: 0.0.3 → 1.1.1 (with a cherry-picked patch)
libkiwix: 9.4.1 → 11.0.0...
--------------------
John Goerzen: Dead USB Drives Are Fine: Building a Reliable Sneakernet
https://changelog.complete.org/archives/10421-dead-usb-drives-are-fine-building-a-reliable-sneakernet
September 2, 2022, 1:43 AM
“OK,” you’re probably thinking. “John, you talk a lot about things like Gopher and personal radios, and now you want to talk about building a reliable network out of… USB drives?”
Well, yes. In fact, I’ve already done it.
What is sneakernet?
Normally, “sneakernet” is a sort of tongue-in-cheek reference to using disconnected storage to transport data or messages. By “disconnect storage” I mean anything like CD-ROMs, hard drives, SD cards, USB drives, and so forth. There...
--------------------
Emmanuel Kasper: OpenShift vs. AWS product mapping
https://00formicapunk00.wordpress.com/2022/09/01/openshift-vs-aws-product-mapping/
September 1, 2022, 7:45 AM
If you know the Amazon Web Services portfolio, and you are interested in OpenShift or the OKD OpenShift community distribution, this is a table of corresponding technologies.
OpenShift is Red Hat’s Kubernetes distribution: it is basically the upstream Kubernetes delivered with monitoring, logging, CI/CD, underlying OS, tested upgrade paths not found with a manual kubernetes.io kubeadm install.
AWS
OpenShift
OpenShift upstream project
Cloud Trail
Kubernetes API Server audit log
Kubernete...
--------------------
Shirish Agarwal: Culture, Books, Friends
https://flossexperiences.wordpress.com/2022/09/01/culture-books-friends/
September 1, 2022, 5:59 AM
Culture
Just before I start, I would like to point out that this post may or would probably be NSFW. Again, what is SFW (Safe at Work) and NSFW that so much depends on culture and perception of culture from wherever we are or wherever we take birth? But still, to be on the safe side I have put it as NSFW. Now there have been a few statements and ideas that gave me a pause. This will be a sort of chaotic blog post as I am in such a phase today.
For e.g. while I do not know which culture or...
--------------------
Russ Allbery: Summer haul
https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/journal/2022-08/001.html
September 1, 2022, 5:26 AM
It's been a while since I posted one of these! Or, really, much of
anything else. Busy and distracted this summer and a bit behind on a wide
variety of things at the moment, although thankfully not in a bad way.
Sara Alfageeh &amp; Nadia Shammas — Squire (graphic novel)
Travis Baldree — Legends &amp; Lattes (sff)
Leigh Bardugo — Six of Crows (sff)
Miles Cameron — Artifact Space (sff)
Robert Caro — The Power Broker (nonfiction)
Kate Elliott — Servant Mage (sff)
Nicola Griffith �...
--------------------
Paul Wise: FLOSS Activities August 2022
http://bonedaddy.net/pabs3/log/2022/09/01/floss-activities/
September 1, 2022, 4:32 AM
Focus
This month I didn't have any particular focus.
I just worked on issues in my info bubble.
Changes
webdl:
support ffmpeg 5
libpst:
better error
purple-discord:
fix
line ending,
mojibake
pass-audit:
typos
duck:
add
more match output,
obsolete site,
indicator phrase,
fix
comparisons,
whitespace,
sentence
lintian:
add obsolete site
reportbug:
minor cleanup,
add
ftp.d.o usertags
Debian usertags:
fix repro builds, ports, ftp-master usertags
Debian package uploads:
sptag,
purple-discord,
circ...
--------------------
Russell Coker: Links Aug 2022
https://etbe.coker.com.au/2022/08/31/links-aug-2022/
August 31, 2022, 1:06 PM
Armor is an interesting technology from Manchester University for stopping rowhammer attacks on DRAM [1]. Unfortunately “armor” is a term used for DRAM that looks fancy for ricers so finding out whether it’s used in production is difficult.
The Reckless Limitless Scope of Web Browsers is an insightful analysis of the size of web specs and why it’s impossible to implement them properly [2].
Framework is a company that makes laptop kits you can assemble and upgrade, interesting concept [3]...
--------------------
Rapha&#235;l Hertzog: Freexian’s report about Debian Long Term Support, July 2022
https://raphaelhertzog.com/2022/08/31/freexians-report-about-debian-long-term-support-july-2022/
August 31, 2022, 9:43 AM
Like each month, have a look at the work funded by Freexian’s Debian LTS offering.
Debian project funding
No any major updates on running projects.Two 1, 2 projects are in the pipeline now.Tryton project is in a review phase. Gradle projects is still fighting in work.
In July, we put aside 2389 EUR to fund Debian projects.
We’re looking forward to receive more projects from various Debian teams! Learn more about the rationale behind this initiative in this article.
Debian LTS ...
--------------------
Wouter Verhelst: Not currently uploading
https://grep.be/blog//en/life/debian/Not_currently_uploading/
August 30, 2022, 11:22 PM
A notorious ex-DD decided
to post garbage on his site in which he links my name to the suicide of
Frans Pop, and mentions that
my GPG key is currently disabled in the Debian keyring, along with some
manufactured screenshots of the Debian NM site that allegedly show I'm
no longer a DD. I'm not going to link to the post -- he deserves to be
ridiculed, not given attention.
Just to set the record straight, however:
Frans Pop was my friend. I never treated him with anything but respect.
I do not kn...
--------------------
Jonathan Dowland: Venineth
https://jmtd.net/log/venineth/
August 30, 2022, 11:25 AM
My turntable is temporarily out of action so this post is in lieu of a
crate digging update.
Some time ago, I saw Matt Hoye raving about a
little indie game called
Venineth. I think he said it was
the perfect little game to relax to. I don’t regularly play games but I could
sometimes do with some help relaxing. I was reminded about Venineth when I saw
some buzz about Exo One, a similar-looking game, so
I thought I’d give Venineth a go.
A scene near the start of Venineth
It’s gre...
--------------------
John Goerzen: The PC & Internet Revolution in Rural America
https://changelog.complete.org/archives/10417-the-pc-internet-revolution-in-rural-america
August 30, 2022, 1:22 AM
Inspired by several others (such as Alex Schroeder’s post and Szczeżuja’s prompt), as well as a desire to get this down for my kids, I figure it’s time to write a bit about living through the PC and Internet revolution where I did: outside a tiny town in rural Kansas. And, as I’ve been back in that same area for the past 15 years, I reflect some on the challenges that continue to play out.
Although the stories from the others were primarily about getting online, I want to start by sett...
--------------------
Emmanuel Kasper: Moving blog from blogger.com to wordpress.com
https://00formicapunk00.wordpress.com/2022/08/29/moving-blog-from-blogger-com-to-wordpress-com/
August 29, 2022, 8:05 AM
I switched from blogger.com the Google Blog platform to the hosted wordpress.com of Automaticc, the WordPress blog engine main authors.
I thus gain:
markdown formatting when writing blog entries, finally !
running on a opensource core, that I can move locally to my own server if I ever want to fiddle with MySQL and PHP.
I lose:
free CNAME redirect using my own domain name
a bit of advertising-free space. The blog at wordpress.com has a prominent header indicating I am using the free plan, but...
--------------------
Dirk Eddelbuettel: littler 0.3.16 on CRAN: Package Updates
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2022/08/28#littler-0.3.16
August 28, 2022, 10:54 PM
The seventeenth release of littler as a CRAN package just landed, following in the now sixteen year history (!!) as a package started by Jeff in 2006, and joined by me a few weeks later.
littler is the first command-line interface for R as it predates Rscript. It allows for piping as well for shebang scripting via #!, uses command-line arguments more consistently and still starts faster. It also always loaded the methods package which Rscript only started to do in recent years.
littler lives on ...
--------------------
Andrew Cater: Debian Barbeque, Cambridge 2022
http://flosslinuxblog.blogspot.com/2022/08/debian-barbeque-cambridge-2022.html
August 28, 2022, 8:07 PM
 And here we are: second day of the barbeque in Cambridge. Lots of food - as always - some alcohol, some soft drinks, coffee.Lots of good friends, and banter and good natured argument. For a couple of folk, it's their first time here - but most people have known each other for years. Lots of reminiscing, some crochet from two of us. Multiple technical discussions weaving and overlappingNot just meat and vegetarian options for food: a fresh loaf, gingerbread of various sorts, fresh Belgian-style...
--------------------
Steinar H. Gunderson: AV1 live streaming: Muxing and streaming
http://blog.sesse.net/blog/tech/2022-08-28-10-51_av1_live_streaming_muxing_and_streaming.txt.html
August 28, 2022, 9:51 AM
Following up on my previous posts, I've finally gotten to the part of the
actual streaming (which includes muxing). It's not super-broad over all
possible clients, but it probably gives enough information to tell roughly
where we are.
First, the bad news: There is no iOS support for AV1. People had high
hopes after it turned out the latest iOS 16 betas support AVIF, and
even embedded a copy of dav1d
to do so, but according to my own testing, this doesn't extend to video
at all. Not as standalon...
--------------------
Antoine Beaupré: How to nationalize the internet in Canada
https://anarc.at/blog/2022-08-26-nationalize-internet/
August 26, 2022, 4:56 PM
Rogers had a catastrophic failure in July
2022. It affected emergency services (as in: people couldn't call 911,
but also some 911 services themselves failed), hospitals (which
couldn't access prescriptions), banks and payment systems (as payment
terminals stopped working), and regular users as well. The outage
lasted almost a full day, and Rogers took days to give any technical
explanation on the outage, and even when they did, details were
sparse. So far the only detailed account is from outsi...
--------------------
Jonathan Dowland: Replacement nosecone for Janod Rocket
https://jmtd.net/log/janod_rocket/
August 26, 2022, 3:28 PM
My youngest has a cute little wooden Rocket puzzle, made by a French company
called Janod.
Sadly, at some point, we lost the nose cone part, so I designed and printed a
replacement.
It's substantially based on one module from an OpenSCAD "Nose Cone Library" by
Garrett
Goss,
which he kindly released to the public domain.
I embellished the cone with a top pointy bit and a rounded brim. I also
hollowed out the bottom to make space for a magnet. Originally I designed an
offset-from-centre ...
--------------------
Dirk Eddelbuettel: RApiSerialize 0.1.2 on CRAN: Small Bugfix
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2022/08/25#rapiserialize_0.1.2
August 25, 2022, 11:27 PM
A new bug fix release 0.1.2 of RApiSerialize got onto CRAN earlier. It follows on the 0.1.1 release from earlier this month, and addresses a minor build issue where an error message, only in the case of missing long vector support, tried to use an i18n macro that is not supplied by the build.
The RApiSerialize package is used by both my RcppRedis as well as by Travers excellent qs package. Neither one of us has a need to switch to format 3 yet so format 2 remains the default. But along with othe...
--------------------
Antoine Beaupré: One dead Purism laptop
https://anarc.at/blog/2022-08-25-one-dead-purism-laptop/
August 25, 2022, 7:28 PM
The "série noire" continues. I ordered my first Purism Librem 13v4
laptop in April 2019 and it arrived, unsurprisingly, more than three
weeks later. But more surprisingly, it did not work at all: a problem
eerily similar to this post talking about a bricked Purism
laptop. Thankfully, Purism was graceful enough to cross-ship a
replacement, and once I paid the extra (gulp) 190$ Fedex fee, I had my
new elite laptop read.
Less than a year later, the right USB-A port breaks: it would deliver
power,...
--------------------
Jonathan Dowland: IKEA HEMNES Shoe cabinet repair
https://jmtd.net/log/shoe_cabinet_repair/
August 25, 2022, 10:16 AM
Over time the screw hole into the wooden front section of our IKEA HEMNES Shoe
cabinet
had worn out and it was not possible to secure a screw at that position any
more. I designed a little 'wedge' of plastic to sit over the fitting with and
provide some offset screw holes.
At the time, I had a very narrow window of access to our office 3d printer, so I
designed it almost as a "speed coding" session in OpenSCAD: in between 5-10 minutes,
guessing about the exact dimensions for the plastic bit t...
--------------------
Jonathan Dowland: dues (or blues)
https://jmtd.net/log/hledger/dues/
August 25, 2022, 10:00 AM
After I wrote hledger, I got some good feedback, both from a friend
in-person and also on Twitter.
My in-person friend asked, frankly, do I really try to manage money like
this: tracking every single expense? Which affirms my suspicion, that many
people don't, and that it perhaps isn't essential to do so.
Combined with the details below, 3/4 of the way through my experiment with
using hledger, I'm not convinced that it has been a good idea.
I'm quoting my Twitter feedback here in order to res...
--------------------
Emmanuel Kasper: Investigating database replication in different availability zones
https://00formicapunk00.wordpress.com/2022/08/24/investigating-database-replication-in-different-availability-zones/
August 24, 2022, 3:09 PM
Investigating today what is AWS Relational Database Service with two readable standbys
Considering your current read/write server is in Availability Zone AZ1, this is basically postgres 14 with synchronous_standby_names = ANY 1 (az2, az3) and synchronous_commit = on.
In regards to safety of data, it looks similar to the raft algorithm used by etcd with three members as a write is only ack’ed if it has been fsynced by two servers, the difference is that raft has a leader election, whereas in P...
--------------------
Ian Jackson: prefork-interp - automatic startup time amortisation for all manner of scripts
https://diziet.dreamwidth.org/12367.html
August 23, 2022, 9:30 AM
The problem I had - Mason, so, sadly, FastCGI
Since the update to current Debian stable, the website for YARRG, (a play-aid for Puzzle Pirates which I wrote some years ago), started to occasionally return “Internal Server Error”, apparently due to bug(s) in some FastCGI libraries.
I was using FastCGI because the website is written in Mason, a Perl web framework, and I found that Mason CGI calls were slow. I’m using CGI - yes, trad CGI - via userv-cgi. Running Mason this way would “compil...
--------------------
Jonathan Wiltshire: Team Roles and Tuckman’s Model, for Debian teams
https://www.jwiltshire.org.uk/2022/08/22/team-roles-and-tuckmans-model-for-debian-teams/
August 22, 2022, 8:26 PM
When I first moved from being a technical consultant to a manager of other consultants, I took a 5-day course Managing Technical Teams – a bootstrap for managing people within organisations, but with a particular focus on technical people. We do have some particular quirks, after all…
Two elements of that course keep coming to mind when doing Debian work, and they both relate to how teams fit together and get stuff done.
Tuckman’s four stages model
In the mid-1960s Bruce W. Tuckma...
--------------------
Antoine Beaupré: Alternative MPD clients to GMPC
https://anarc.at/blog/2022-08-22-gmpc-alternatives/
August 22, 2022, 5:17 PM
GMPC (GNOME Music Player Client) is a audio player based on MPD
(Music Player Daemon) that I've been using as my main audio player for
years now.
Unfortunately, it's marked as "unmaintained" in the official list of
MPD clients, along with basically every client available in
Debian. In fact, if you look closely, all but one of the 5
unmaintained clients are in Debian (ario, cantata, gmpc, and
sonata), which is kind of sad. And none of the active ones are
packaged.
GMPC status and features
GMPC...
--------------------
Wouter Verhelst: Remote notification
https://grep.be/blog//en/computer/play/Remote_notification/
August 22, 2022, 2:15 PM
Sometimes, it's useful to get a notification that a command has finished
doing something you were waiting for:
make my-large-program &amp;&amp; notify-send "compile finished" "success" || notify-send "compile finished" "failure"
This will send a notification message with the title "compile finished",
and a body of "success" or "failure" depending on whether the command
completed successfully, and allows you to minimize (or otherwise hide)
the terminal window while you do something else, which...
--------------------
Simon Josefsson: Static network config with Debian Cloud images
https://blog.josefsson.org/2022/08/22/static-network-config-with-debian-cloud-images/
August 22, 2022, 10:09 AM
I self-host some services on virtual machines (VMs), and I’m currently using Debian 11.x as the host machine relying on the libvirt infrastructure to manage QEMU/KVM machines. While everything has worked fine for years (including on Debian 10.x), there has always been one issue causing a one-minute delay every time I install a new VM: the default images run a DHCP client that never succeeds in my environment. I never found out a way to disable DHCP in the image, and none of the documented wa...
--------------------
Russ Allbery: Review: And Shall Machines Surrender
https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/reviews/books/1-60701-533-1.html
August 22, 2022, 3:29 AM
Review: And Shall Machines Surrender, by Benjanun Sriduangkaew

Series:
Machine Mandate #1

Publisher:
Prime Books

Copyright:
2019

ISBN:
1-60701-533-1

Format:
Kindle

Pages:
86

Shenzhen Sphere is an artificial habitat wrapped like complex ribbons
around a star. It is wealthy, opulent, and notoriously difficult to
enter, even as a tourist. For Dr. Orfea Leung to be approved for a
residency permit was already a ...
--------------------
Russ Allbery: Review: A Prayer for the Crown-Shy
https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/reviews/books/1-250-23624-X.html
August 21, 2022, 4:08 AM
Review: A Prayer for the Crown-Shy, by Becky Chambers

Series:
Monk &amp; Robot #2

Publisher:
Tordotcom

Copyright:
2022

ISBN:
1-250-23624-X

Format:
Kindle

Pages:
151

A Prayer for the Crown Shy is the second novella in the Monk &amp;
Robot series and a direct sequel to A
Psalm for the Wild-Built. Don't start here.
I would call this the continuing adventures of Sibling Dex and Mosscap the
robot, except adven...
--------------------
Iustin Pop: Note to self: Don't forget Qemu's discard option
https://k1024.org/posts/2022/2022-08-21-do-not-forget-qemu-unmap/
August 21, 2022, 12:00 AM
This is just a short note to myself, and to anyone who might run VMs
via home-grown scripts (or systemd units). I expect modern VM managers
to do this automatically, but for myself, I have just a few hacked
together scripts.
By default, QEMU (at least as of version 7.0) does not honour/pass
discard requests from block devices to the underlying storage. This is
a sane default (like lvm’s default setting), but with long-lived VMs
it can lead to lots of wasted disk space. I keep my VMs on SSDs, w...
--------------------
Emmanuel Kasper: Everything markdown with pandoc
https://00formicapunk00.wordpress.com/2022/08/19/everything-markdown-with-pandoc/
August 19, 2022, 7:02 PM
Using a markdown file , this style sheet and this simple command,
pandoc couronne.md --standalone --css styling.css
--to html5 --table-of-contents &amp;gt; couronne.html
I feel I will never need a word processor again. It produces this nice looking document without pain....
--------------------
Dirk Eddelbuettel: RcppArmadillo 0.11.2.3.1 on CRAN: Double Update
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2022/08/18#rcpparmadillo_0.11.2.3.1
August 19, 2022, 12:51 AM
Armadillo is a powerful and expressive C++ template library for linear algebra and scientific computing. It aims towards a good balance between speed and ease of use, has a syntax deliberately close to Matlab, and is useful for algorithm development directly in C++, or quick conversion of research code into production environments. RcppArmadillo integrates this library with the R environment and language–and is widely used by (currently) 1005 packages other packages on CRAN (as celebrated in t...
--------------------
Reproducible Builds (diffoscope): diffoscope 221 released
https://diffoscope.org/news/diffoscope-221-released/
August 19, 2022, 12:00 AM
The diffoscope maintainers are pleased to announce the release of diffoscope
version 221. This version includes the following changes:
* Don't crash if we can open a PDF file with PyPDF but cannot parse the
annotations within. (Closes: reproducible-builds/diffoscope#311)
* Depend on the dedicated xxd package, not vim-common.
* Update external_tools.py to reflect xxd/vim-common change.
You find out more by visiting the project homepage....
--------------------
Bits from Debian: Debian turns 29!
https://bits.debian.org/2022/08/debian-turns-29.html
August 16, 2022, 11:00 AM
Today is Debian's 29th anniversary. We recently wrote
about some ideas to celebrate the DebianDay,
and several events have been planned in more than 14 locations.
You can join the party or organise something yourselves too!
Today is also an opportunity for you to start or resume your
contributions to Debian. For example, you can have a look at our
list of Debian Teams,
install the how-can-i-help package
and see if there is a bug in any of the software that you use that you can help to fix,
sta...
--------------------
John Goerzen: The Joy of Easy Personal Radio: FRS, GMRS, and Motorola DLR/DTR
https://changelog.complete.org/archives/10406-the-joy-of-easy-personal-radio-frs-gmrs-and-motorola-dlr-dtr
August 15, 2022, 2:02 PM
Most of us carry cell phones with us almost everywhere we go. So much so that we often forget not just the usefulness, but even the joy, of having our own radios. For instance:
When traveling to national parks or other wilderness areas, family and friends can keep in touch even where there is no cell coverage.
It is a lot faster to just push a button and start talking than it is to unlock a phone, open the phone app, select a person, wait for the call to connect, wait for the other person ...
--------------------
Dirk Eddelbuettel: RcppArmadillo used by 1001 CRAN Packages
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2022/08/14#rcpparmadillo_at_1001
August 14, 2022, 2:08 PM
It is with a mix of pride and joy, but also some genuine astonishment and amazement, that we can share that the counter of reverse dependencies at CRAN for our RcppArmadillo package for R just crossed 1000 packages [1]:
Conrad actually posted this a few weeks ago, by my count we were then still a few packages shy. In any event, having crossed this marker this summer, either then or now, and after more than a dozen years of working on the package is a really nice moment. Google Scholar counts ne...
--------------------
Jamie McClelland: Web caching is hard
https://current.workingdirectory.net/posts/2022/web-caching-is-hard/
August 14, 2022, 12:27 PM
Web caching is hard. And also, maybe I’m not that good under pressure? In any
event, I made the following mistakes while trying to debug a web site using our
nginx cache that bit the dust under heavy load today:
Action: I ran curl -I https://website.org/ and it hung.
Wrong assumption: Something is wrong with nginx. Why else would it just hang?
Reconsidered conclusion: The resource (the home page) is a MISS, so nginx has
to retrieve it from the origin, but the origin is over-loaded and timing o...
--------------------
Sergio Durigan Junior: Debuginfod is coming to Ubuntu
https://blog.sergiodj.net/2022/08/14/debuginfod-is-coming-to-ubuntu.html
August 14, 2022, 4:00 AM
These past couple of months I have been working to bring
debuginfod to
Ubuntu. I thought it would be a good idea to make this post and
explain a little bit about what the service is and how I'm planning to
deploy it.
A quick recap: what's debuginfod?
Here's a good summary of what debuginfod is:
debuginfod is a new-ish project whose purpose is to serve
ELF/DWARF/source-code information over HTTP. It is developed under the
elfutils umbrella. You can find more information about it here:
https...
--------------------
Russ Allbery: Review: Still Not Safe
https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/reviews/books/0-19-027128-0.html
August 14, 2022, 3:38 AM
Review: Still Not Safe, by Robert L. Wears &amp; Kathleen M. Sutcliffe

Publisher:
Oxford University Press

Copyright:
November 2019

ISBN:
0-19-027128-0

Format:
Kindle

Pages:
232

Still Not Safe is an examination of the recent politics and history
of patient safety in medicine. Its conclusions are summarized by the
opening paragraph of the preface:
The American moral and social philosopher Eric Hoffer reportedly said
--------------------
Shirish Agarwal: Mum and Books
https://flossexperiences.wordpress.com/2022/08/13/mum-and-books/
August 12, 2022, 6:33 PM
The last day
The first lesson I would like everybody to know and have is to buy two machines, especially a machine to check low blood pressure. I had actually ordered one from Amazon but they never delivered. I hope to sue them in consumer court in due course of time. The other one is a blood sugar machine which I ordered and did get, but the former is more important than the latter, and the reason why will be known soon.
Mum had stopped eating solids and was entirely on liquids for the ...
--------------------
Wouter Verhelst: Upgrading a Windows 10 VM to Windows 11
https://grep.be/blog//en/computer/Upgrading_a_Windows_10_VM_to_Windows_11/
August 12, 2022, 3:00 PM
I run Debian on my laptop (obviously); but occasionally, for $DAYJOB, I
have some work to do on Windows. In order to do so, I have had a Windows
10 VM in my libvirt configuration that I can use.
A while ago, Microsoft issued Windows 11. I recently found out that all
the components for running Windows 11 inside a libvirt VM are available,
and so I set out to upgrade my VM from Windows 10 to Windows 11. This
wasn't as easy as I thought, so here's a bit of a writeup of all the
things I ran against...
--------------------
Guido Günther: On a road to Prizren with a Free Software Phone
https://honk.sigxcpu.org/con/On_a_road_to_Prizren_with_a_Free_Software_Phone.html
August 12, 2022, 2:06 PM
Since people are sometimes slightly surprised that you can go onto a
multi week trip with a smartphone running free sofware so only I
wanted to share some impressions from my recent trip to Prizren/Kosovo
to attend Debconf 22 using a Librem 5. It's a mix of things that
happend and bits that got improved to hopefully make things more fun
to use. And, yes, there won't be any big surprises like being stranded
without the ability to do phone calls in this read because there
weren't and there shouldn...
--------------------
Ben Hutchings: Debian LTS work, July 2022
https://www.decadent.org.uk/ben/blog/debian-lts-work-july-2022.html
August 12, 2022, 12:27 PM
In July I was assigned 24 hours of work by Freexian's Debian LTS
initiative. I worked 3 hours and will carry over the rest to
August.
In July, no Debian release was in LTS status. However, I spent some
time finishing the DLA text for my upload of linux at the end of
June. I also attended the LTS BoF at DebConf and the regular team
meeting.
--------------------
Shirish Agarwal: Mum, Samsung Galaxy M-52
https://flossexperiences.wordpress.com/2022/08/11/mum-samsung-galaxy-m-52/
August 10, 2022, 7:44 PM
Mum
I dunno from where to start. While I’m not supposed to announce it, mum left this earth a month ago (thirteen days when I started to write this blog post) ago. I am still in part denial, part shock, and morose. Of all the seasons in a year, the rainy season used to be my favorite, now would I ever be able to look and feel other than the emptiness that this season has given me? In some senses, it is and was very ironic, when she became ill about last year, I had promised myself I would ...
--------------------
Russell Coker: TSIG Error From SSSD
https://etbe.coker.com.au/2022/08/10/tsig-error-sssd/
August 10, 2022, 3:03 AM
A common error when using the sssd daemon to authenticate via Active Directory on Linux seems to be:
sssd[$PID]: ; TSIG error with server: tsig verify failure
This is from sssd launching the command “nsupdate -g” to do dynamic DNS updates. It is possible to specify the DNS server in /etc/sssd/sssd.conf but that will only be used AFTER the default servers have been attempted, so it seems impossible to stop this error from happening. It doesn’t appear to do any harm as the correct server is ...
--------------------
Bits from Debian: Debian Day 2022 - call for celebration
https://bits.debian.org/2022/08/debianday2022-call-for-celebration.html
August 8, 2022, 3:00 PM
Every year on August 16th, the anniversary of the Debian Project takes place.
And several communities around the world celebrate this date by organizing local
meetings in an event called "Debian Day".
So, how about celebrating the 29th anniversary of the Debian Project in 2022 in
your city?
We invite you and your local community to organize Debian Day by hosting an
event with talks, workshops, bug squashing party,
OpenPGP keysigning, etc.
Or simply holding a meeting between people who like Debia...
--------------------
Adnan Hodzic: atuf.app: Amsterdam Toilet & Urinal Finder
https://foolcontrol.org/?p=4393
August 8, 2022, 9:48 AM
Amsterdam is a great city to enjoy a beer, or two. However, after you had your beers and you’re strolling down the streets, you might...
The post atuf.app: Amsterdam Toilet &amp; Urinal Finder appeared first on FoolControl: Phear the penguin.
--------------------
Ian Jackson: dkim-rotate - rotation and revocation of DKIM signing keys
https://diziet.dreamwidth.org/12191.html
August 8, 2022, 12:20 AM
Background
Internet email is becoming more reliant on DKIM, a scheme for having mail servers cryptographically sign emails. The Big Email providers have started silently spambinning messages that lack either DKIM signatures, or SPF. DKIM is arguably less broken than SPF, so I wanted to deploy it.
But it has a problem: if done in a naive way, it makes all your emails non-repudiable, forever. This is not really a desirable property - at least, not desirable for you, although it can be nice for som...
--------------------
Aurelien Jarno: GNU libc 2.34 in unstable
https://blog.aurel32.net/glibc-2.34-unstable.html
August 7, 2022, 9:25 PM
The GNU libc version 2.34 has just been
accepted
into unstable. Getting it ready has been more challenging than other versions,
as this version integrates a few libraries (libpthread, libdl, libutil,
libanl) into libc. While this is handled transparently at runtime, there are a
few corner cases at build time:
For backwards compatibility, empty static archives (e.g. libpthread.a) are
provided, so that the linker options keep working. However a few cmake
files shipped in some packages st...
--------------------
Dirk Eddelbuettel: RApiSerialize 0.1.1 on CRAN: Updates
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2022/08/07#rapiserialize_0.1.1
August 7, 2022, 4:38 PM
A new release 0.1.1 of RApiSerialize is now on CRAN. While this is the first release in seven years (!!), it brings mostly minor internal updates along with the option of using serialization format 3.
The package is used by both my RcppRedis as well as by Travers excellent qs package. Neither one of us has a need to switch to format 3 yet so format 2 remains the default. But along with other standard updates to package internals, it was straightforward to offer the newer format so that is what w...
--------------------
Thorsten Alteholz: My Debian Activities in July 2022
http://blog.alteholz.eu/2022/08/my-debian-activities-in-july-2022/
August 5, 2022, 3:43 PM
FTP master
This month I accepted 420 and rejected 44 packages. The overall number of packages that got accepted was 422.
I am sad to write the following lines, but unfortunately there are people who rather take advantage of others instead of doing a proper maintenance of their packages.
So, in order to find time slots for as much packages in NEW as possible, I no longer write a debian/copyright for others. I know it is a boring task to collect the copyright information, but our policy still requ...
--------------------
Abhijith PA: Laptop refreshment
https://abhijithpa.me/2022/Laptop-refresh/
August 5, 2022, 9:53 AM
Munnar
I recently bought a refurbished thinkpad x260. If you have read my
post of my previous laptop. Its a big jump from 1 gen Intel processors
to 6th Gen.
I really love my old laptop. Infact I am actually writing this from my
old laptop. Its ok for my day to day task. But its not convienant to
carry around when I am travelling.
I’ve been thinking about a lot of buying a new machine. I decided to
get a thinkpad. But I never arrived on which model. I was planned for
taking a liberated...
--------------------
Jamie McClelland: Fine tuning Thunderbird's end-to-end encryption
https://current.workingdirectory.net/posts/2022/thunderbird-and-openpgpg/
August 4, 2022, 10:27 PM
I love that Thunderbird really tackled OpenPGP head on and incorporated it
directly into the client. I know it’s been a bit rough for some users, but I
think it’s a good long term investment.
And to demonstrate I’ll now complain about a minor issue :).
I replied to an encrypted message but couldn’t send the response using
encryption. I got an error message indicating that “End-to-end encryption
requires resolving certificate issues for” … and it listed the recipient
email address.

Click here to read the complete article