From: AnonUser@retrobbs2.i2p (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Subject: p2pchan
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2018 16:00:19 -0000 (UTC)
logging-data="13496"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@rocksolidbbs.com"
 by: AnonUser - Wed, 24 Oct 2018 16:00 UTC

the idea of a distributed forum is really really old:

http://p2pchan.pbworks.com/w/page/8672151/FrontPage

Seems like they never made it.
--
Posted on RetroBBS II

Re: p2pchan

<37d97aff3e0779beb5efe3f8ceaff912$1@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=314&group=rocksolid.shared.rocksolid#314

From: retro.guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-ofi-this (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Subject: Re: p2pchan
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2018 00:14:11 +0000
To: AnonUser
 by: Retro Guy - Thu, 25 Oct 2018 00:14 UTC

To: AnonUser
AnonUser wrote:

> the idea of a distributed forum is really really old:

> http://p2pchan.pbworks.com/w/page/8672151/FrontPage

> Seems like they never made it.

Well, we do this because it's fun. Whether enough people start to use it
or not isn't the main point. It would be nice, but not required.

The awesome 'rslight' and 'bbs' wouldn't exist without this project. Ok,
maybe not everyone would use the word awesome.

Anyway, here's one reason for the failure of so many projects like this,
"the moral of this debased movement is that anything involving ego is
likely to fail"
They tried, as many have, to make a totally anonymous and uncensored
system. This usually tends to degrade to the point that nobody wants to
use it.

Rocksolid is not uncensored. It's moderated at the node level by each
particular admin. We never claimed to be working on a completely
uncensored project.

Another quote from the site you referenced, "Another way of making this
kind of a system is to literally copy the NNTP model." Well, that's
exactly what we did here, and as far as maintaining the ability to read
and post to the same discussions from different nodes, it's working very
well.

The underlying structure of rocksolid has so far proven to be pretty
solid. Whether anyone wants to use it or not is their business, but we're
having a good time.

Retro Guy
--
Posted on RetroBBS
--- Synchronet 3.17a-Linux NewsLink 1.108

Re: p2pchan

<1cbb2e87e43666a5dbfb1bdf3cec3c4b@def4.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=319&group=rocksolid.shared.rocksolid#319

From: anon@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2018 23:14:16+0000
 by: anon - Sun, 4 Nov 2018 23:14 UTC

>They tried, as many have, to make a totally anonymous and uncensored system. This usually tends to degrade to the point that nobody wants to use it.

See parts of freenet for that.

If somebody wanted to run a fully uncensored node, it would work as well (I mean, with the same software setup and all). It might just be that other nodes would stop syncing at one point, thus excluding it and dividing the structure.

Posted on def4.i2p