You don't have to know how the computer works, just how to work the computer.

computers / alt.free.newsservers / Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntpIvo Gandolfo
`* Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?Incubus
 +* Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntpIvo Gandolfo
 |+* Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?Bill W
 ||+- Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?jj
 ||`- Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntpSledge
 |`- Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntpSpecOp
 `- Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntpHormel Can

1
Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?

<tt2n42$2799c$2@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3011&group=alt.free.newsservers#3011

From: usenet@bofh.team (Ivo Gandolfo)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers,news.software.nntp
Subject: Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp
servers?
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 16:14:05 +0100
 by: Ivo Gandolfo - Tue, 21 Feb 2023 15:14 UTC

On 18/02/2023 18:04, Incubus wrote:
> with such as Alex de Joode & admins at paganini, neodome, and netfront
> respectively.
>
> Those people above are heroes to me for all the thankless work they perform
> for me in terms of supporting my abilitity to converse on Usenet by keeping
> the dignity of my privacy intact.
>
> Thank you all.

Thank's to you Incubus.

Sincerely

--
Ivo Gandolfo

Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?

<tt2pch$163ob$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3012&group=alt.free.newsservers#3012

From: u9536612@gmail.com (Incubus)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers,news.software.nntp
Subject: Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 15:52:49 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Incubus - Tue, 21 Feb 2023 15:52 UTC

On 2023-02-21, Ivo Gandolfo <usenet@bofh.team> wrote:
>> Those people above are heroes to me for all the thankless work they perform
>> for me in terms of supporting my abilitity to converse on Usenet by keeping
>> the dignity of my privacy intact.
>>
>> Thank you all.
>
> Thank's to you Incubus.
>
> Sincerely
> Ivo Gandolfo

Hi Ivo Gandolfo,

Thank you for being wonderful in adding your bastard operator nntp server
to the mix recently, where I had originally thought you were just pranking
someone, but then you opened it up again to everyone, which I appreciate.

I assume Ivo Gandolfo is as Ray Banana is to Wolfgang Weyand, where a
memorably interesting nym is likely a good thing for an nntp server admin.

Personally, I've been on Usenet since, oh, the memory fails me, but maybe
since the backslash bang days of sending emails to specific server hops.

Hence I very much appreciate the "old style" country attitude of pitching
in to help others, where I do what I can myself, even if it's not running a
Usenet server (I run a non-exit node for Tor services for example, where
the exit node is just too much responsibility for me to take on myself).

I thank you for being a good netizen by serving a similar public need for
privacy, where to me, the instant you pay for something, privacy is lost.

Remember the "olden days" when we used to actually use our real email
address, and then when we received a spam or two a month, we'd complain to
the POP (in those days) server admin about their customer spamming us!

Those days are gone where you are forced to automatically badword filter
(yours is a little Draconian but that's OK as it's easy to change the word)
and you kind of limit the number of posts per day (also, perfectly
acceptable as while I will never spam, plenty of people will so you needed
to implement strict filters on the number of posts per time period per IP).

For me, the free newsservers offer anonymity because I don't have to pay
with a credit card, which is important to me, which is why I appreciate
wonderful nntp admins such as you are and the others, not all of whom are
still doing it - mostly because of the headaches from the spammers.

Offhand, netfront, dizum, albasani & neodome (I think) have been forced to
give up completely while mixmin seems to have done so partially with
extended wait times and perhaps the venerable aioe is not coming up because
it's just not worth the hassles of dealing with the innumerable spammers.

Given I'm sure they spam using your free no-registration server, I
sincerely thank you for your new service, which many will use now that poor
Paolo is having issues, perhaps with health, where there but for the grace
of God go all of us, and has been the case when Roman Racine took over the
nntp server from Sabine Shultz when Alexander Bartolich passed away (may he
rest in peace).

I apologize for this long thank you note, but very few people thank you I'm
sure (certainly they don't thank me!), so I do very much wish to say your
service is much appreciated by those of us who are old school and who
simply want a bit of privacy when expressing our personal opinions on
Usenet.

Thank you!
Incubus

Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?

<tt3fof$29qtf$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3023&group=alt.free.newsservers#3023

From: usenet@bofh.team (Ivo Gandolfo)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers,news.software.nntp
servers?
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 23:14:37 +0100
 by: Ivo Gandolfo - Tue, 21 Feb 2023 22:14 UTC

On 21/02/2023 16:52, Incubus wrote:
[cut]
> Thank you!
> Incubus

A lot of time ago I have started to mantain a BBS (and after that) an
usenet server. This server have changed name various time over the
year's past's. In my intentions there has never been a desire for
profit. I did it simply because I liked it.

Over time this pleasure has turned into a duty. I've never felt the need
to know who used my services, but I do statistics. About 67% of my users
are from TOR, another 12% from other anonymization services (eg VPN),
about 8% are from users without authentication, the rest are from
registered users. All my services are free-as-beer. Registered or not.

Usenet (like many other services like BBS) has been in decline for many
years now, and only enthusiasts like me keep its spirit and cooperation
alive, and I'm proud of this, even if ISPs and many other people have
forgotten how it was born internet, and its services, going to much
"cooler" things like Facebook or Instagram.

If users like you are happy and proud to find free services like mine
and being happy this makes me happy and proud in turn. And if spammers
and the like cause trouble, this is not a burden for me to carry.

Thank's to you again.

Sincerely

--
Ivo Gandolfo

Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?

<tt3ies$2khv$1@news.cyber23.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3025&group=alt.free.newsservers#3025

From: nobody@example.invalid (Hormel Can)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers
servers?
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 17:03:21 -0600
 by: Hormel Can - Tue, 21 Feb 2023 23:03 UTC

On 2/21/23 09:52, Incubus wrote:
> Offhand, netfront, dizum, albasani & neodome (I think) have been forced to
> give up completely while mixmin seems to have done so partially with
> extended wait times and perhaps the venerable aioe is not coming up because
> it's just not worth the hassles of dealing with the innumerable spammers.

Spam problem is result of lacking imagination.

Block all messages originating with uzoreto and google and 99% of spam
is eliminated.

Don't peer with servers that carry binary warez and piracy groups.

Some of you have all the time in the world to troll and annoy each
other. But you don't have time to volunteer to moderate some newsgroups.
That would allow you access free of spam.

Three or more users could agree to moderate with a single moderation
mail server account, set up using IMAP, or a mailing-list proxy to the
moderation address, so that all can delete spam. Whoever is first to
notice spam just delete it from moderation queue.

Spam problem solved. Nice group where anyone can post anything that is
not spam.

Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?

<tt3jmk$2a7t4$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3028&group=alt.free.newsservers#3028

From: nothing@nowhere.com (Bill W)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers,news.software.nntp
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 23:22:09 +0000
 by: Bill W - Tue, 21 Feb 2023 23:22 UTC

On Feb 21, 2023, Ivo Gandolfo wrote (in article

> About 67% of my users
> are from TOR, another 12% from other anonymization services (eg VPN),
> about 8% are from users without authentication, the rest are from
> registered users. All my services are free-as-beer. Registered or not.

How does someone post to Usenet from TOR?

The only way I know how to use TOR is via the Firefox TOR Browser Bundle.
https://www.torproject.org/download/

Is Usenet posting accessible through the TOR Firefox web browser?
How?

Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?

<tt40q1$2g3dk$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3031&group=alt.free.newsservers#3031

From: jj@none.org (jj)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers,news.software.nntp
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 03:05:38 -0000 (UTC)
 by: jj - Wed, 22 Feb 2023 03:05 UTC

On 21 Feb 2023, Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com> posted some

> On Feb 21, 2023, Ivo Gandolfo wrote (in article
>
>> About 67% of my users
>> are from TOR, another 12% from other anonymization services (eg VPN),
>> about 8% are from users without authentication, the rest are from
>> registered users. All my services are free-as-beer. Registered or not.
>
> How does someone post to Usenet from TOR?
>
> The only way I know how to use TOR is via the Firefox TOR Browser
Bundle.
> https://www.torproject.org/download/
>
> Is Usenet posting accessible through the TOR Firefox web browser?
> How?

Couple of ways.

You'll need something like sockscap or SOCAT. Depending on the server
access policy, you may also need stunnel.

If the usenet server permits Tor you can use Tor Browser to provide the
port, 9150 for example. They might also have an onion V3 address to use.

Lots of examples out there how to do it. Best way to keep the usenet
psychopaths from stalking you at work and harrassing your employer.

Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?

<tt52sn$2gh$1@news.cyber23.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3038&group=alt.free.newsservers#3038

From: blackhole@anonymous.invalid (Sledge)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers
servers?
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 06:49:57 -0600
 by: Sledge - Wed, 22 Feb 2023 12:49 UTC

On 2/21/23 17:22, Bill W wrote:
> On Feb 21, 2023, Ivo Gandolfo wrote (in article
>
>> About 67% of my users
>> are from TOR, another 12% from other anonymization services (eg VPN),
>> about 8% are from users without authentication, the rest are from
>> registered users. All my services are free-as-beer. Registered or not.
>
> How does someone post to Usenet from TOR?
>
> The only way I know how to use TOR is via the Firefox TOR Browser Bundle.
> https://www.torproject.org/download/
>
> Is Usenet posting accessible through the TOR Firefox web browser?
> How?

https://rocksolidbbs.com
https://novabbs.org

They allow free access via Tor and I2P.

Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?

<tt530c$2gh$2@news.cyber23.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3039&group=alt.free.newsservers#3039

From: spec@op.s (SpecOp)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers
servers?
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 06:51:54 -0600
 by: SpecOp - Wed, 22 Feb 2023 12:51 UTC

Got take a piss, Washington disinfo troll.

computers / alt.free.newsservers / Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?