Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 17:50:58 +0000
Subject: BBC News
From: usenet@novabbs.org (rslight rss feeds)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.news
 by: rslight rss feeds - Mon, 18 Sep 2023 17:50 UTC

Post Office: Horizon scandal victims offered £600,000 compensation
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66843548?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 18, 2023, 4:47 PM
The sum is for postmasters whose wrongful convictions for theft and false accounting have now been overturned.
--------------------
Clean-up operation under way after Devon flash floods
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-66842486?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 18, 2023, 1:56 PM
Communities across Devon are clearing up after torrential rain flooded homes, roads and businesses.
--------------------
Chronic migraines have forced me to quit, says Dehenna Davison
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66844580?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 18, 2023, 12:40 PM
The Conservative MP says health problems have sometimes made it "impossible" to do her job.
--------------------
Chioma Nnadi named new head of editorial content at British Vogue
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66840875?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 18, 2023, 3:42 PM
The London-born journalist and podcaster becomes the black female head of the fashion title.
--------------------
Human remains found in Chelmsford missing parents murder probe
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-66844514?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 18, 2023, 4:51 PM
Virginia McCullough is accused of killing her parents at some point since August 2018.
--------------------
Hermoso out of Spain squad for first match since World Cup
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66847013?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 18, 2023, 3:44 PM
Jenni Hermoso is not included in Spain's first squad since winning the Women's World Cup, but 15 members of that triumphant team are named.
--------------------
'Bankrupt' Birmingham City Council braced for government intervention
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-66844959?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 18, 2023, 4:24 PM
It is thought commissioners sent by government could be sent in to run the struggling city council.
--------------------
Bournemouth beach deaths: Sunnah Khan in sea nearly an hour
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-66847403?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 18, 2023, 4:20 PM
Sunnah Khan and Joe Abbess died after getting into difficulty in the water off Bournemouth Beach.
--------------------
War in Ukraine: Is the counter-offensive making progress?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66796358?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 17, 2023, 11:02 PM
Ukraine's generals say they have broken through Russia's first line of defence in the south.
--------------------
Paedophile football coach Barry Bennell dies in prison
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-66847569?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 18, 2023, 4:06 PM
A judge at Bennell's sentencing in 2020 describes the abuser as "the devil incarnate".
--------------------
UK storms: Lightning flashes over southern England
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66842877?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 18, 2023, 9:14 AM
Social media users have been capturing the UK's lightning strikes and thunderstorms.
--------------------
Inside South Africa's Operation Dudula: 'Why we hate foreigners'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-66808346?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 17, 2023, 11:16 PM
BBC Africa Eye gains rare access to Operation Dudula, South Africa's prominent anti-migrant movement.
--------------------
Jill Dando: Murdered BBC presenter was 'just in wrong place at wrong time'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66783495?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 18, 2023, 12:27 AM
The late star's brother hopes a new docuseries, Who Killed Jill Dando?, will jog somebody's memory.
--------------------
Libya floods: The bodies left unrecognisable by disaster
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-66838559?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 17, 2023, 8:40 PM
Doctors are struggling to identify the remains which have been found as the death toll rises.
--------------------
Ryanair and family locked in £165 check-in row
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66580403?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 18, 2023, 10:42 AM
Damian Lloyd says his family had checked in for a flight in advance but Ryanair says they had "unchecked" themselves.
--------------------
Officials discussed raising Boris Johnson concerns to Queen
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66839314?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 18, 2023, 10:09 AM
Senior government officials spoke to Buckingham Palace during the pandemic about the then PM's conduct, the BBC is told.
--------------------
Call of Duty Warzone: Does UK esports scene need more live events?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-66842867?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 18, 2023, 12:45 PM
The Call of Duty Warzone world champs were crowned in London at an interesting time for the UK scene.
--------------------
Missing F-35: US military asks for public's help to find jet
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-66841194?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 18, 2023, 4:37 PM
Officials are unable to locate the F-35 jet after its pilot safely ejected over South Carolina.
--------------------
Covid boosters now open to over-65s as hospital cases rise
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-66818046?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 18, 2023, 12:12 AM
The rollout has been brought forward as a precaution against a highly-mutated new Covid variant.
--------------------
Liz Truss urges PM to cut taxes a year after Downing Street exit
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66836347?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 18, 2023, 3:23 PM
The ex-PM uses a speech to defend her tenure in office and to urge Rishi Sunak to cut taxes and delay net-zero commitments.
--------------------
Rare dinosaur 'Barry' up for sale at Paris auction
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66841201?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 18, 2023, 12:22 PM
The 150 million year-old camptosaurus is expected to fetch up to €1.2m ($1.2m) in October.
--------------------
World's oldest post office in Sanquhar finds new owners
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-66842343?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 18, 2023, 3:28 PM
Barry and Mary Ford were living in Florida when they first heard the Sanquhar site was up for sale.
--------------------
Married At First Sight cast just saw me as Ella, says trans bride
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-66818092?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 18, 2023, 12:28 AM
Ella Morgan Clark will be the first trans woman to walk down the aisle on Married At First Sight.
--------------------
Bodycam footage shows train hit a police car with woman inside
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-66840307?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 18, 2023, 4:30 AM
A Colorado woman was handcuffed and placed in police car that was then hit by a freight train.
--------------------
Norfolk parents hear son's heartbeat three years after his death
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-66811826?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 18, 2023, 5:04 AM
Kitt Blake died three years ago at the age of 30 but four of his organs were used to help others.
--------------------
'This could be the holy grail to replace palm oil' - research team
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-66842496?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 18, 2023, 11:50 AM
An Edinburgh food research team produces a lower-fat alternative aimed at cutting palm oil dependence.
--------------------
Disability benefits cost could rocket, report says
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-66820579?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 18, 2023, 9:17 AM
The study says action needs to be taken to improve the health of people who are about to retire.
--------------------
Cambridgeshire farmer shoots deer to feed his two African lions
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-66791084?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 18, 2023, 7:11 AM
Andy Johnson says culling deer is necessary to keep numbers down.
--------------------
Khartoum: Fire guts landmark skyscraper
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-66838176?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 17, 2023, 1:36 PM
The Greater Nile Petroleum Operating Company Tower had been engulfed in flames in the Sudan's capital.
--------------------
Rental prices rise at fastest rate for nine years, figures show
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66824019?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 18, 2023, 8:53 AM
Estate agent Hamptons says the cost has risen more in the last year than it did in the four years to 2019.
--------------------
Australian man fined for taking pet snake surfing
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-66816893?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 18, 2023, 6:10 AM
Wildlife officers say the man endangered Shiva the snake and breached his permit to keep her.
--------------------
Buckingham Palace: Man in court charged with Royal Mews trespass
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-66840726?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 18, 2023, 2:21 PM
The man, 25, is accused of trespassing on a protected site after he was arrested near the Royal Mews.
--------------------
Kylie triumphs at Radio 2 in the Park in Leicester
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66820728?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 18, 2023, 2:35 AM
The performance capped the end of quite a summer for the Australian star.
--------------------
'Improving England were best they've been under Borthwick'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/66844470?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 18, 2023, 12:59 PM
There are plenty of challenges to come but, considering their build-up and second half performance against Japan, England are in a good place at the Rugby World Cup, says Matt Dawson.
--------------------
Pitman retires from England duty to address pregnancy struggles
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/netball/66841280?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 18, 2023, 12:30 PM
England's Chelsea Pitman, who won gold at the 2018 Commonwealth Games, announces her retirement from international netball.
--------------------
Erling Haaland and Jurgen Klopp in Premier League weekend's funny moments
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/66839427?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 18, 2023, 10:05 AM
Manchester City striker Erling Haaland and Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp star in the weekend's funniest moments from Match of the Day 2's '2 Good 2 Bad'.
--------------------
Lionesses in Women's Nations League: Lucy Parker replaces injured Lotte Wubben-Moy
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66846796?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 18, 2023, 3:39 PM
Defender Lucy Parker replaces Lotte Wubben-Moy in the England squad for this month's Women's Nations League matches.
--------------------
England Netball apologises for mixing up black players in Razia Quashie birthday post
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/netball/66841305?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 18, 2023, 1:33 PM
England Netball apologises for using images of different players in an attempt to wish Razia Quashie happy birthday on social media.
--------------------
NFL: Denver Broncos pull off Hail Mary in best plays of the week
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/american-football/66843116?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 18, 2023, 9:34 AM
The Denver Broncos pulling off a 'Hail Mary' play is part of the NFL plays of the week from the second round of games.
--------------------
Brand behaviour was an open secret, says accuser
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66840874?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 18, 2023, 12:06 PM
A woman known as Alice says Russell Brand's denial of sexual assault is laughable but unsurprising.
--------------------
Russell Brand allegations: What is the star accused of?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66838794?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 17, 2023, 9:29 PM
The comedian and actor denies serious allegations about his behaviour over a period of seven years.
--------------------
A rollercoaster career: From Hollywood to YouTube guru
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66822781?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 17, 2023, 10:32 AM
The comedian, actor and activist has hosted programmes for Channel 4, Radio X, MTV and the BBC.
--------------------
Russell Brand: Comedian appears distracted at gig but gets ovation from fans
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66835222?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 17, 2023, 1:05 AM
The comedian performed in London in his first appearance since being accused of rape and sexual assault.
--------------------
Fuel cost: How to save petrol and diesel
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61745697?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 3, 2023, 1:01 PM
With weak competition adding to fuel prices, are drivers doing the right things to save money?
--------------------
What is happening to house prices, and could there be a crash?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-63147101?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 1, 2023, 12:47 PM
How higher interest rates are changing the UK's housing market.
--------------------
Mortgage rates: Five ways to save money
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65984415?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 10, 2023, 10:46 AM
Experts give advice for those who might be worried about their monthly mortgage payments.
--------------------
First time home buyers: How much can I borrow?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/65544554?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 12, 2023, 9:47 AM
With rents rising, more people are crunching the numbers to see if they can afford to buy.
--------------------
What are my rights if my flight is cancelled or delayed?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61646214?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 29, 2023, 2:58 PM
Technical glitches have caused disruption at airports but passengers do have rights.
--------------------
Six tips for getting a job if you're over 50
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64625372?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 16, 2023, 11:05 AM
Recruiters and charities give their advice for anyone wanting to get back into work.
--------------------
Interest rate and mortgages: What you can do about rising payments
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66384295?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 3, 2023, 3:44 AM
Watch the BBC's Lora Jones tell you five things you can do about your mortgage, in a minute.
--------------------
Cheaper train tickets: Five ways to save money
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64827711?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 16, 2023, 8:56 PM
As rail fares increase, we find the ways passengers can keep journeys as cheap as possible.
--------------------
What is GDP and how is it measured?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13200758?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 13, 2023, 8:54 AM
A basic guide to how the economy is measured and why that calculation matters.
--------------------
Rent increases: What you can do about a rise from your landlord
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63290805?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 17, 2022, 10:42 PM
The BBC's Lora Jones tells you four things you can do, if your landlord asks for more money.
--------------------
Energy bills: What can I do if I can't afford to pay?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62435432?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 25, 2023, 2:22 PM
If you're struggling to afford your gas and electricity bills, what options are available?
--------------------
Renting: Three ways to win the race to securing a property
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65089308?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 28, 2023, 11:14 PM
From being first in the queue to being more flexible, here are some tips on how to get ahead in the rental race.
--------------------
Food prices: How can I save money on my grocery shop?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61798003?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 31, 2023, 10:57 AM
The cost-of-living crisis continues to bite. Here are some things that can reduce the impact.
--------------------
UK inflation rate calculator: How much are prices rising for you?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62558817?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 16, 2023, 6:14 AM
Use our calculator to find out how much the cost of living is going up in your household.
--------------------
Debt: What do I do if I can't afford to pay?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64291327?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 23, 2023, 2:45 PM
What help and options are available to people struggling with debt repayments?
--------------------
Cost of living: Five tips when asking for a pay rise
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64288791?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 15, 2023, 10:33 AM
Recruiters, a manager and a workplace psychologist give their advice on how to negotiate for more money.
--------------------
What are your rights as a tenant?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-65038459?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 21, 2023, 9:03 AM
With one in five people now renting in the UK, it's important to understand your rights as a tenant.
--------------------
What is the UK inflation rate and why is it so high?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12196322?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 14, 2023, 2:50 PM
The rate at which prices are rising has fallen but remains well above the 2% inflation target.
--------------------
What is a recession and how could it affect me?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52986863?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 13, 2023, 11:04 AM
Britain's economy is predicted to shrink in 2023 but is not expected to fall into recession.
--------------------
State pension and triple lock: What is it worth and when do you get it?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53082530?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 12, 2023, 7:29 AM
A second significant rise in the state pension is expected in April under what is known as the triple lock.
--------------------
Interest rates: How a rise affects you and your money
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57764601?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 16, 2023, 2:02 PM
The Bank of England has put up interest rates 14 times in a bid to slow price rises.
--------------------
How to get a job: Six expert tips for finding work
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64939070?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 14, 2023, 4:03 PM
There are 10m people out of work in the UK, so if you're searching for a job you're not alone. Here are some tips on how to get started.
--------------------
Five ways to save money on your packed lunch
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65312394?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 18, 2023, 4:36 PM
Grabbing food on the go can be expensive so here are some top tips on making savings at lunchtime.
Why inflation is falling but prices are still rising
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64290160?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 19, 2023, 7:29 AM
We report this percentage every month but here are three things you may not know.

Click here to read the complete article