Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 17:50:55 +0000
Subject: BBC News
From: usenet@novabbs.org (rslight rss feeds)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.news
 by: rslight rss feeds - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 17:50 UTC

Russell Brand: BBC and Channel 4 investigate allegations
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66836556?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 17, 2023, 4:46 PM
Comedian Russell Brand has denied sexual assault allegations, with scrutiny also on the TV business.
--------------------
Russell Brand: Comedian appears distracted at gig but gets ovation from fans
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66835222?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 17, 2023, 1:05 AM
The comedian performed in London in his first appearance since being accused of rape and sexual assault.
--------------------
Lampedusa: Ursula von der Leyen and Giorgia Meloni visit island after migrant boat fears
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66836614?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 17, 2023, 12:11 PM
More than 8,000 migrants have arrived on the Italian island over the past three days.
--------------------
Antarctic sea-ice at 'mind-blowing' low alarms experts
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-66724246?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 16, 2023, 11:00 PM
Missing winter sea ice signals changes that could be a "disaster for the world", scientists say.
--------------------
How the fentanyl crisis' fourth wave has hit every corner of the US
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-66826895?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 17, 2023, 10:34 AM
The epidemic's staggering scale and infiltration of communities is laid bare in a new study.
--------------------
Drew Barrymore apology: Star halts talk show until writers strike ends
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66838556?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 17, 2023, 3:58 PM
She issued a tearful apology for continuing her talk show while her unionised writers were on strike.
--------------------
Sudan conflict: Landmark skyscraper in Khartoum engulfed in flames
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-66837026?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 17, 2023, 3:32 PM
Dark smoke rises from the cone-shaped tower as several government buildings come under attack.
--------------------
Great Baddow: Woman charged with murder of two missing people
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-66837286?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 17, 2023, 11:48 AM
Essex Police say it is their "strong belief" that two people in their 70s are no longer alive.
--------------------
No final HS2 decision until revised costs known, say Labour
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66836341?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 17, 2023, 1:10 PM
Shadow minister Pat McFadden says its policy on high speed rail will be set out in the party's manifesto.
--------------------
Libya floods: 'All that's left is rubble and dirt and destruction'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-66833155?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 16, 2023, 8:07 PM
The BBC's Anna Foster describes the devastation in the Libyan city of Derna after floods a week ago.
--------------------
Manchester: Workman dies as wall collapses at house
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-66833770?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 17, 2023, 9:10 AM
A man in his 40s died despite efforts of emergency service workers to save him
--------------------
Boys From the Blackstuff: James Graham and Barry Sloane on reviving landmark 1980s TV drama
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66774399?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 16, 2023, 11:14 PM
Boys From the Blackstuff regularly appears on lists of the greatest TV shows ever. Now it's on stage.
--------------------
Necropolis Railway: The train trip where only some passengers returned
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-66507599?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 17, 2023, 6:23 AM
When London's burial grounds started to overflow, a rail route began for mourners - and their dead.
--------------------
Who is Russell Brand? His journey from Hollywood star to conspiracy theory videos
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66822781?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 17, 2023, 10:32 AM
The comedian, actor and activist has hosted programmes for Channel 4, Radio X, MTV and the BBC.
--------------------
How will museums of tomorrow tell the Covid pandemic story?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-66670005?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 16, 2023, 11:12 PM
Some museums saw the pandemic as real-time history and collected artefacts. What did they choose?
--------------------
The Libyan city that's become a barren wasteland with a smell of death
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-66833973?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 16, 2023, 6:36 PM
With lives in Libya washed away, anger mounts as people ask why they were told to stay at home.
--------------------
What will happen next for Wilko and its workers?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66474218?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 16, 2023, 11:13 PM
The retailer has collapsed and will disappear from the High Street, but will continue online.
--------------------
Your pictures on the theme of 'reflections'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-66795938?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 16, 2023, 11:09 PM
A selection of striking images from our readers around the world.
--------------------
Laura Kuenssberg: Labour - damned if they dare, damned if they don't?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66831207?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 16, 2023, 3:05 PM
When Keir Starmer unveils a policy it is roundly attacked - is this the price of getting a hearing?
--------------------
How I lost £120,000 to romance scam gaslighting
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66798846?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 16, 2023, 12:51 AM
As a BBC drama about a romance scam airs, one victim details how she lost a huge sum.
--------------------
20mph: Wales first UK nation to drop speed limit from 30mph
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-66774379?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 17, 2023, 12:27 PM
The default speed limit for built-up areas across Wales reduces from 30mph to 20mph on Sunday.
--------------------
Sudan conflict: Risking lives to bury the dead in Omdurman
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-66787942?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 16, 2023, 11:05 PM
Zeinab Mohamed Salih writes about how dangerous it was to bury her grandmother in war-hit Sudan.
--------------------
Hugh Jackman and wife Deborra-Lee Furness set to divorce after 27 years
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66829819?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 16, 2023, 6:33 AM
The Wolverine star says he and Deborra-Lee Furness will now "pursue our individual growth".
--------------------
What anger over top influencer says about China today
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-66816564?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 15, 2023, 10:00 PM
Li Jiaqi's comments struck a raw nerve as China's youth struggle to find jobs in a sputtering economy.
--------------------
Store owner gets shoplifters 9 times a day and no police help
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66819837?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 16, 2023, 12:42 AM
His situation is seen in small shops across the country, says the Federation of Independent Retailers.
--------------------
Kutcher quits charity over support for rapist Masterson
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-66827692?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 15, 2023, 10:26 PM
The actor says his letter of support for rape convict Danny Masterson was an "error in judgement".
--------------------
Buthelezi funeral: South Africans mull legacy of divisive Zulu leader
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-66818249?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 16, 2023, 8:07 AM
Mangosuthu Buthelezi has been granted a state funeral but the debate over his legacy reopens wounds.
--------------------
Alfie Meadows: Met agrees payout for man injured at 2010 protest
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66827856?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 15, 2023, 10:22 PM
Alfie Meadows was left with a brain injury after being struck in 2010 during a tuition fees protest.
--------------------
Singapore Grand Prix: Ferrari's Carlos Sainz triumphs in thriller as Red Bull's winning run ends
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/66836925?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 17, 2023, 1:57 PM
Carlos Sainz wins the Singapore Grand Prix with a controlled drive for Ferrari that ends Max Verstappen and Red Bull's winning run.
--------------------
Classy Trossard strike helps Arsenal beat Everton
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66766251?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 17, 2023, 5:44 PM
Arsenal move fourth in the Premier League by beating winless Everton through Leandro Trossard's 69th-minute strike at Goodison Park.
--------------------
Australia 15-22 Fiji: Flying Fijians beat the Wallabies for the first time at Rugby World Cup
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/66839029?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 17, 2023, 5:42 PM
Fiji beat Australia for just the third time in their history and blow Pool C wide open with a thrilling win at the Rugby World Cup.
--------------------
Harry Brook: England call up batter to World Cup squad in place of Jason Roy
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/66837122?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 17, 2023, 1:49 PM
England drop Jason Roy from their final World Cup squad and call up Harry Brook.
--------------------
First time home buyers: How much can I borrow?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/65544554?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 12, 2023, 9:47 AM
With rents rising, more people are crunching the numbers to see if they can afford to buy.
--------------------
What are my rights if my flight is cancelled or delayed?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61646214?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 29, 2023, 2:58 PM
Technical glitches have caused disruption at airports but passengers do have rights.
--------------------
Interest rate and mortgages: What you can do about rising payments
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66384295?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 3, 2023, 3:44 AM
Watch the BBC's Lora Jones tell you five things you can do about your mortgage, in a minute.
--------------------
Cheaper train tickets: Five ways to save money
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64827711?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 16, 2023, 8:56 PM
As rail fares increase, we find the ways passengers can keep journeys as cheap as possible.
--------------------
What is GDP and how is it measured?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13200758?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 13, 2023, 8:54 AM
A basic guide to how the economy is measured and why that calculation matters.
--------------------
Rent increases: What you can do about a rise from your landlord
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63290805?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 17, 2022, 10:42 PM
The BBC's Lora Jones tells you four things you can do, if your landlord asks for more money.
--------------------
Energy bills: What can I do if I can't afford to pay?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62435432?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 25, 2023, 2:22 PM
If you're struggling to afford your gas and electricity bills, what options are available?
--------------------
Renting: Three ways to win the race to securing a property
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65089308?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 28, 2023, 11:14 PM
From being first in the queue to being more flexible, here are some tips on how to get ahead in the rental race.
--------------------
Food prices: How can I save money on my grocery shop?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61798003?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 31, 2023, 10:57 AM
The cost-of-living crisis continues to bite. Here are some things that can reduce the impact.
--------------------
UK inflation rate calculator: How much are prices rising for you?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62558817?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 16, 2023, 6:14 AM
Use our calculator to find out how much the cost of living is going up in your household.
--------------------
Mortgage rates: Five ways to save money
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65984415?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 10, 2023, 10:46 AM
Experts give advice for those who might be worried about their monthly mortgage payments.
--------------------
Fuel cost: How to save petrol and diesel
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61745697?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 3, 2023, 1:01 PM
With weak competition adding to fuel prices, are drivers doing the right things to save money?
--------------------
Debt: What do I do if I can't afford to pay?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64291327?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 23, 2023, 2:45 PM
What help and options are available to people struggling with debt repayments?
--------------------
Cost of living: Five tips when asking for a pay rise
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64288791?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 15, 2023, 10:33 AM
Recruiters, a manager and a workplace psychologist give their advice on how to negotiate for more money.
--------------------
What are your rights as a tenant?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-65038459?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 21, 2023, 9:03 AM
With one in five people now renting in the UK, it's important to understand your rights as a tenant.
--------------------
What is the UK inflation rate and why is it so high?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12196322?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 14, 2023, 2:50 PM
The rate at which prices are rising has fallen but remains well above the 2% inflation target.
--------------------
What is a recession and how could it affect me?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52986863?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 13, 2023, 11:04 AM
Britain's economy is predicted to shrink in 2023 but is not expected to fall into recession.
--------------------
State pension and triple lock: What is it worth and when do you get it?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53082530?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 12, 2023, 7:29 AM
A second significant rise in the state pension is expected in April under what is known as the triple lock.
--------------------
Interest rates: How a rise affects you and your money
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57764601?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 16, 2023, 2:02 PM
The Bank of England has put up interest rates 14 times in a bid to slow price rises.
--------------------
How to get a job: Six expert tips for finding work
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64939070?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 14, 2023, 4:03 PM
There are 10m people out of work in the UK, so if you're searching for a job you're not alone. Here are some tips on how to get started.
--------------------
Five ways to save money on your packed lunch
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65312394?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 2, 2023, 11:40 PM
The lunchbox is back after the summer holidays so here are some top tips on making savings at lunchtime.
--------------------
What is happening to house prices, and could there be a crash?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-63147101?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 1, 2023, 12:47 PM
How higher interest rates are changing the UK's housing market.
--------------------
Why inflation is falling but prices are still rising
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64290160?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 19, 2023, 7:29 AM
We report this percentage every month but here are three things you may not know.
Six tips for getting a job if you're over 50
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64625372?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 16, 2023, 11:05 AM
Recruiters and charities give their advice for anyone wanting to get back into work.

Click here to read the complete article