Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 17:35:55 +0000
Subject: BBC News
From: usenet@novabbs.org (rslight rss feeds)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.news
 by: rslight rss feeds - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 17:35 UTC

Relatives sought by police over Sara Sharif death returning to UK
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66800712?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 13, 2023, 4:42 PM
Three adults police want to speak to over Sara Sharif's death are returning to the UK from Pakistan.
--------------------
Wilko brand set to be bought by The Range in £5m deal
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66800612?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 13, 2023, 3:46 PM
The Range will own the Wilko brand and website and could choose to sell some of its products in its shops.
--------------------
Tory MP Ellwood quits Commons post after Afghanistan row
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66797794?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 13, 2023, 4:22 PM
Defence Committee chair Tobias Ellwood was facing pressure after comments about the Taliban's rule.
--------------------
Man arrested after girl attacked by bully XL dog in Birmingham
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-66256193?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 13, 2023, 1:22 PM
A 60-year-old man has been arrested after an 11-year-old girl suffered serious injuries.
--------------------
Rick Stein defends £2 chip shop condiments charge
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66795225?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 13, 2023, 1:07 PM
Some customers have objected to price hikes being applied to some sauces, saying they were "disappointed".
--------------------
Andrew Malkinson: Police investigated over man's wrongful jailing
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-66796452?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 13, 2023, 5:08 PM
The police watchdog is to review how a force handled complaints from Andrew Malkinson's legal team.
--------------------
Vladimir Putin says military co-operation with North Korea a possibility
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-66783384?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 13, 2023, 11:59 AM
Vladimir Putin met Kim Jong Un at a space centre during a brief and highly scrutinised visit to Russia.
--------------------
Danelo Cavalcante: Police dog 'subdued' crawling Pennsylvania fugitive
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-66800144?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 13, 2023, 4:54 PM
Danelo Cavalcante, 34, resisted arrest in a wooded area after an aircraft picked up his heat signal.
--------------------
Peckham: Man interviewed by Met Police after shop restraint
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-66790189?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 13, 2023, 11:29 AM
Hundreds gathered at the Peckham store after a video shared online showed a woman being restrained.
--------------------
Jean Boht: Bread actress dies at 91
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66797606?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 13, 2023, 11:14 AM
She was best known for playing matriarch Nellie Boswell in the Liverpool-set 1980s TV sitcom.
--------------------
Libya flooding: Doctor pleads for help as body count increases
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-66800349?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 13, 2023, 1:21 PM
Dr Najib Tarhoni has been working at the nearest large hospital to Derna, and is assisting with the disaster.
--------------------
My Mum, Your Dad: ITV dating show opens up conversations about grief
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-66796162?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 13, 2023, 2:22 PM
Jess explains why she put her dad Roger forward for My Mum, Your Dad after her mum died.
--------------------
Northern skies glow in aurora spectacle
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-66794988?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 13, 2023, 11:32 AM
Photographers share their joy after skies were lit up green, pink and yellow by the aurora borealis.
--------------------
Don't discuss sensitive work in Westminster pubs, political staff warned
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66798560?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 13, 2023, 2:21 PM
It includes alerts about people trying to get on in politics, and cautions not to discuss sensitive work in Westminster pubs.
--------------------
Ex-Secret Service agent reveals new JFK assassination detail
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-66792977?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 13, 2023, 1:21 PM
Ex-Secret Service agent Paul Landis reveals a new detail some say upends the "single bullet theory".
--------------------
Libya floods: Why damage to Derna was so catastrophic
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-66799518?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 13, 2023, 4:20 PM
A visual guide to why heavy rain caused such devastation and killed so many people in the city of Derna.
--------------------
Olivia Rodrigo interview: ‘I’ve got a few heartbreaks left in me’
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66681334?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 12, 2023, 11:04 PM
As her second album heads for number one, the star discusses the pressure of overnight fame.
--------------------
Trans guidance is needed in schools, parents tell BBC
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-66709052?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 13, 2023, 11:00 AM
As a new school term gets under way, two parents share different views about why they want guidance.
--------------------
Young Moroccans answer social media calls for post-earthquake help
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-66793155?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 12, 2023, 11:31 PM
Scores of young volunteers help distribute aid for hundreds of devastated communities in Morocco.
--------------------
Oslo Accords: 30 years of lost Palestinian hopes
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-66751704?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 12, 2023, 11:18 PM
The accords could have led to a Palestinian state - now even Palestinians lack faith in their leaders.
--------------------
Chris Mason: The big questions on the future of the triple lock
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66788134?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 12, 2023, 9:58 PM
BBC Political Editor Chris Mason looks at the politics and perils of rising state pensions.
--------------------
MTV VMAs 2023: Taylor Swift and Shakira are the big award winners
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66795280?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 13, 2023, 9:54 AM
Shakira crowd-surfs her way to a lifetime achievement award, while Swift wins artist of the year.
--------------------
Windsor Castle intruder believed he was on 'mission' to kill Queen
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-66790067?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 13, 2023, 3:41 PM
Jaswant Singh Chail was caught with a loaded crossbow at Windsor Castle on Christmas Day 2021.
--------------------
Selfie takers forced pony off cliff in Gower, farmer says
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-66785699?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 13, 2023, 11:13 AM
The farmer is having to rethink keeping ponies on Gower's cliffs because of visitors' behaviour.
--------------------
British soldier charged over death of Canada businessman
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66795774?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 13, 2023, 9:01 AM
Craig Gibson has appeared in court after the alleged assault in Toronto.
--------------------
UK economy shrinks more than expected as rain and strikes hit
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66785572?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 13, 2023, 10:26 AM
Official figures show the UK economy contracted by 0.5% in July, more than economists predicted.
--------------------
F1 legend Nigel Mansell selling off racing gear
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-jersey-66778428?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 13, 2023, 5:57 AM
Former F1 world champion Nigel Mansell is auctioning racing memorabilia previously housed in his Jersey museum.
--------------------
Beacon Hill Academy: Girls out of lessons in stretchy trousers row
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-66795270?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 13, 2023, 12:12 PM
A head says uniform checks "aren't new" and he makes "no apologies" for having high standards.
--------------------
Constable sketch of Dover found in suitcase during house clearance
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-66785923?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 13, 2023, 5:28 AM
The pencil drawing of Dover dating from April 1803 goes under the hammer in Scarborough on Friday.
--------------------
Parents struggling to get medical cannabis despite law change
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-66784170?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 12, 2023, 11:36 PM
Fewer than five patients have been prescribed whole-cannabis medicine, despite it becoming legal in 2018.
--------------------
Ariana Grande says she used lip filler and Botox to 'hide'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-66796056?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 13, 2023, 9:02 AM
The singer made the comments in an emotional video, saying she stopped using Botox and filler in 2018.
--------------------
Lionesses Women's Nations League: Keira Walsh & Bethany England ruled out through injury
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66801533?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 13, 2023, 4:08 PM
England's Keira Walsh and Bethany England will miss this month's Women's Nations League matches against Scotland and the Netherlands because of injury.
--------------------
Ben Stokes hits England ODI record 182 against New Zealand at The Oval
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/66788944?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 13, 2023, 3:12 PM
Ben Stokes smashes the record for the highest score by an England batter in a one-day international by hammering a brutal 182 against New Zealand at The Kia Oval.
--------------------
'Even if it's horrible pain, I love it' - the world's wildest trail race
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/66747975?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 13, 2023, 8:19 AM
Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc - a 100-mile foot race crossing three countries - is epic. And that's before you even witness it close up.
--------------------
England v New Zealand: Ben Stokes hits England ODI record 182 - best shots
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/cricket/66798881?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 13, 2023, 4:08 PM
Watch the best shots as Ben Stokes hits the highest score by an England batter in a one-day international by hammering 182 against New Zealand at The Kia Oval.
--------------------
Aaron Rodgers injury: New York Jets assess options after quarterback ruled out for season
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/american-football/66783272?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 13, 2023, 4:26 PM
Who will replace Aaron Rodgers after his season-ending injury and will the New York Jets still be in play-off contention?
--------------------
Davis Cup 2023 results: Great Britain's Jack Draper beats Australia's Thanasi Kokkinakis
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/66800589?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 13, 2023, 4:10 PM
Great Britain's bid to reach the Davis Cup Finals knockout stage starts with debutant Jack Draper beating Australia's Thanasi Kokkinakis.
--------------------
How does GDP affect me?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13200758?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 13, 2023, 8:54 AM
A basic guide to how the economy is measured and why that calculation matters.
--------------------
What is the UK inflation rate and why is it so high?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12196322?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 13, 2023, 1:54 PM
The rate at which prices are rising has fallen but remains well above the 2% inflation target.
--------------------
What is a recession and how could it affect me?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52986863?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 13, 2023, 11:04 AM
Britain's economy is predicted to shrink in 2023 but is not expected to fall into recession.
--------------------
State pension and triple lock: What is it worth and when do you get it?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53082530?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 12, 2023, 7:29 AM
A second significant rise in the state pension is expected in April under what is known as the triple lock.
--------------------
Interest rates: How a rise affects you and your money
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57764601?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 16, 2023, 2:02 PM
The Bank of England has put up interest rates 14 times in a bid to slow price rises.
--------------------
UK inflation rate calculator: How much are prices rising for you?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62558817?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 16, 2023, 6:14 AM
Use our calculator to find out how much the cost of living is going up in your household.
--------------------
How to get a job: Six expert tips for finding work
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64939070?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 14, 2023, 4:03 PM
There are 10m people out of work in the UK, so if you're searching for a job you're not alone. Here are some tips on how to get started.
--------------------
Cost of living: Five tips when asking for a pay rise
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64288791?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 15, 2023, 10:33 AM
Recruiters, a manager and a workplace psychologist give their advice on how to negotiate for more money.
--------------------
Food prices: How can I save money on my grocery shop?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61798003?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 31, 2023, 10:57 AM
The cost-of-living crisis continues to bite. Here are some things that can reduce the impact.
--------------------
Five ways to save money on your packed lunch
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65312394?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 2, 2023, 11:40 PM
The lunchbox is back after the summer holidays so here are some top tips on making savings at lunchtime.
--------------------
Five tips for saving petrol money examined
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61745697?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 3, 2023, 1:01 PM
With weak competition adding to fuel prices, are drivers doing the right things to save money?
--------------------
What is happening to house prices, and could there be a crash?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-63147101?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 1, 2023, 12:47 PM
How higher interest rates are changing the UK's housing market.
--------------------
Energy bills: What can I do if I can't afford to pay?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62435432?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 25, 2023, 2:22 PM
If you're struggling to afford your gas and electricity bills, what options are available?
--------------------
How to deal with a rent rise from your landlord
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63290805?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 17, 2022, 10:42 PM
The BBC's Lora Jones tells you four things you can do, if your landlord asks for more money.
--------------------
What are my rights if my flight is cancelled or delayed?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61646214?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 29, 2023, 2:58 PM
Technical glitches have caused disruption at airports but passengers do have rights.
--------------------
Why inflation is falling but prices are still rising
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64290160?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 19, 2023, 7:29 AM
We report this percentage every month but here are three things you may not know.
--------------------
Interest rate and mortgages: What you can do about rising payments
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66384295?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 3, 2023, 3:44 AM
Watch the BBC's Lora Jones tell you five things you can do about your mortgage, in a minute.
--------------------
Renting: Three ways to win the race to securing a property
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65089308?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 28, 2023, 11:14 PM
From being first in the queue to being more flexible, here are some tips on how to get ahead in the rental race.
--------------------
First time home buyers: How much can I borrow?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/65544554?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 12, 2023, 9:47 AM
With rents rising, more people are crunching the numbers to see if they can afford to buy.
Six tips for getting a job if you're over 50
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64625372?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 16, 2023, 11:05 AM
Recruiters and charities give their advice for anyone wanting to get back into work.

Click here to read the complete article