Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 16:45:56 +0000
Subject: BBC News
From: usenet@novabbs.org (rslight rss feeds)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.news
 by: rslight rss feeds - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 16:45 UTC

Which schools have closed, shut buildings or moved over aerated concrete?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-66681227?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 1, 2023, 4:26 PM
The government is not publishing a list of which schools are affected, but this is what we know.
--------------------
UK economy made stronger recovery during Covid
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66680188?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 1, 2023, 2:42 PM
Revised official figures reveal that the UK grew at the end of 2021 rather than shrinking.
--------------------
Ukraine war: Drone attack on Pskov airbase from inside Russia - Kyiv
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66682503?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 1, 2023, 3:03 PM
Ukraine's military intelligence chief says two planes were damaged and two destroyed in Tuesday's attack.
--------------------
Paris says au revoir to rental e-scooters
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66682673?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 1, 2023, 10:52 AM
The ban comes after a vote in the French capital - but is it democracy in action?
--------------------
Typhoon Saola and Storm Haikui head towards China seen from satellite
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-66684666?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 1, 2023, 11:35 AM
A multi-day timelapse shows typhoon Saola and storm Haiku moving across the Pacific Ocean.
--------------------
Germany prosecutes ex-Nazi camp guard aged 98
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66686146?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 1, 2023, 2:04 PM
A man is accused of complicity in the murder of thousands of Sachsenhausen concentration camp inmates.
--------------------
Ulez: 171 reports of vandalised cameras logged by Met Police in two weeks
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-66675787?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 1, 2023, 1:16 PM
The total number of crime reports relating to Ulez cameras is now over 500, the Met Police says.
--------------------
US presidential hopeful says Senate a 'nursing home'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-66678130?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 1, 2023, 3:39 PM
The White House hopeful says "you have to know when to leave" when asked about a Senate leader's lapses.
--------------------
Ruby Franke: '8 Passengers' parenting mum arrested on child abuse suspicion
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-66651506?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 1, 2023, 4:34 PM
The Utah vlogger's malnourished son escaped to her neighbour's home to seek help, police say.
--------------------
Snow Patrol 'heartbroken' as two members quit
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-66681372?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 1, 2023, 3:22 PM
Gary Lightbody says the band will continue as a trio after Jonny Quinn and Paul Wilson depart.
--------------------
'A journalist's life in Kashmir is like walking on a razor's edge'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-66155796?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 1, 2023, 2:14 AM
The BBC has spoken to over two dozen Kashmiri journalists who are wary of the government's actions.
--------------------
Quiz of the week: Which record did Taylor Swift break now?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-66670611?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 1, 2023, 9:48 AM
How closely have you been paying attention to what's been going on over the past seven days?
--------------------
Ukraine war: Back to school under Russian attacks
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66668091?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 1, 2023, 1:04 AM
Ukrainians defy Russian air strikes and occupation to start the new school term.
--------------------
The firms hoping to cut down on wasted cosmetics
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66585299?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 31, 2023, 11:12 PM
By tailoring cosmetics to the individual some firms are hoping to cut waste in the cosmetics industry.
--------------------
TikTok influencer Mahek Bukhari murder case: The key CCTV evidence
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-66639953?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 1, 2023, 11:47 AM
This video takes you through the key CCTV footage shown in the trial of TikTok influencer Mahek Bukhari.
--------------------
Poignant photos show lives of women who survived war
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-66594398?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 1, 2023, 12:33 AM
Five refugee women share personal photographs revealing lives before war and conflict.
--------------------
Akon: Success allows me to explore my African roots
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-66656883?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 1, 2023, 12:48 AM
The singer says he has the financial freedom to bring Afrobeats influences to his new material.
--------------------
When a child is shot, doctors must heal more than just bullet holes
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-66601294?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 1, 2023, 12:58 AM
The number of youth who have been shot is on the rise in the US, especially after the pandemic.
--------------------
'Others jumped too, but they didn't make it'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-66674898?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 31, 2023, 2:44 PM
One survivor tells of his escape, another says she was powerless with her children trapped inside.
--------------------
Nerves and patriotism in Moscow after 18 months of war
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66660121?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 30, 2023, 11:08 PM
The BBC's Will Vernon finds resignation, patriotism and nervousness on the streets of Moscow.
--------------------
Johannesburg fire: 'The desperate search for the bodies of my sisters'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-66682871?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 1, 2023, 4:02 PM
Following Johannesburg's deadly fire, families have been trying to identify loved ones.
--------------------
Jet ski tourists shot dead off coast of Algeria
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-66678886?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 1, 2023, 12:15 PM
The Algerian coastguard reportedly shot at four French-Moroccan tourists who strayed into Algerian waters.
--------------------
My dad died after being scalded in a hotel bath
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-66536185?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 1, 2023, 5:37 AM
Wallace Hunter was trapped while guests and emergency services spent 90 minutes trying to break open the door.
--------------------
Sunak's communication chief quits after less than a year in job
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66686099?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 1, 2023, 3:20 PM
The former ITV journalist Amber de Botton said it was "the right time to move on".
--------------------
Shock after popular bear shot dead in Italian town
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66680522?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 1, 2023, 2:21 PM
A bear named Amarena is killed in central Italy and a man has claimed he opened fire out of fear.
--------------------
Blink-182 postpone Glasgow shows over 'family matter'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-66682346?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 1, 2023, 12:32 PM
The pop-punk trio were due to perform in Glasgow, Belfast and Dublin over the next five days.
--------------------
23-year-old rescue dog celebrates year in new home
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-66684282?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 1, 2023, 2:01 PM
Dogs Trust says 23-year-old Ty is a rare but rewarding case of successful older dog adoption.
--------------------
Critically ill UK teen in legal fight with NHS
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-66673511?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 1, 2023, 8:20 AM
The 19-year-old wants to seek an experimental treatment abroad, but doctors say she needs end-of-life care.
--------------------
X, formerly Twitter, to collect biometric and employment data
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-66679922?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 1, 2023, 12:01 PM
The social media firm, formerly Twitter, will gather facial information if premium users give consent.
--------------------
Diver ‘Merman Mike’ finds your treasures under water
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-66679211?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 31, 2023, 11:35 PM
A California scuba diver returns lost trinkets to their owners for free and picks up trash along the way.
--------------------
P&O Britannia cruise ship docks in Southampton for lifeboat repair
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-66673506?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 1, 2023, 12:28 PM
Southampton-based Britannia collided with a freight vessel during storms off the Spanish coast.
--------------------
Passenger journeys disrupted by train strikes
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66670449?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 1, 2023, 2:38 PM
Some train companies are not running services on Friday in a dispute with workers over pay.
--------------------
Octopus to buy Shell's household energy firm
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66684386?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 1, 2023, 12:27 PM
About 1.4 million households will see their accounts switched to a new provider.
--------------------
Mo Salah transfer news: Liverpool reject £150m Al-Ittihad bid
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66683099?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 1, 2023, 1:31 PM
Liverpool reject a £150m offer for forward Mohamed Salah from Saudi Pro League side Al-Ittihad.
--------------------
Italian Grand Prix: Carlos Sainz fastest in second practice as Sergio Perez crashes
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/66687928?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 1, 2023, 4:22 PM
Sergio Perez crashes his Red Bull at the famous Parabolica corner in Friday practice at the Italian Grand Prix.
--------------------
Brennan Johnson: Tottenham agree £45m-plus deadline day deal with Nottingham Forest
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66686668?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 1, 2023, 3:20 PM
Tottenham agree a fee in excess of £45m for Brennan Johnson to make him their ninth signing of the summer.
--------------------
Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp says Saudi Pro League is more of a threat than not
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/66619594?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 1, 2023, 1:36 PM
Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp urges Uefa to "protect" football as European leagues are "vulnerable" facing the financial might of the Saudi Pro League.
--------------------
Transfer news: All of the done deals on deadline day - Nunes, Lenglet & Palmer
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66672289?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 1, 2023, 5:03 AM
Check out all the significant signings and departures on transfer deadline day in the Premier League, EFL and Scottish Premiership.
--------------------
Man Utd transfer news: Sergio Reguilon signs and Sofyan Amrabat deal close
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66687350?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 1, 2023, 4:03 PM
Manchester United sign Tottenham left-back Sergio Reguilon on a season-long loan and agree a loan deal with Fiorentina for midfielder Sofyan Amrabat.
--------------------
More than 50 schools were at risk of sudden collapse
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-66681702?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 1, 2023, 12:12 PM
Concrete safety fears mean more than 100 schools in England have to change plans before term starts.
--------------------
What is RAAC concrete and where is it in schools and hospitals?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-66669239?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 1, 2023, 12:46 PM
Questions mount about aerated concrete used in schools and public buildings since the 1950s.
--------------------
How will I know if my child's school is closed? Your questions answered
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-66686864?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 1, 2023, 3:43 PM
Will more schools need to close? Why is this happening? Our experts on what you need to know.
--------------------
Essex: 50 schools fitted with crumbling concrete, says council
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-66678434?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 1, 2023, 4:18 PM
Parents and children speak of their "heartbreak" at hearing their school buildings are closing.
--------------------
Faulty concrete likely in Wales, says building expert
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-66675364?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 1, 2023, 2:51 PM
Weaker concrete is probably in schools and other buildings in Wales, says leading civil engineer.
--------------------
Scale of risk in Scottish schools not yet known
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-66682341?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 1, 2023, 3:49 PM
Figures released under FOI in May suggested 37 schools in Scotland had been identified as containing RAAC.
--------------------
NI schools urgently checked over concrete concerns
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-66681368?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 1, 2023, 11:03 AM
It is not yet known how long it will take to check for collapse-prone concrete in NI schools.
--------------------
What you need to know about school concrete scare
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66677090?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 31, 2023, 4:51 PM
BBC reporter Vanessa Clarke explains a bit more about schools affected by closures over safety fears.
--------------------
Train strikes: When is the next action happening?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61634959?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 31, 2023, 5:11 PM
Members of the RMT rail workers' union and Aslef train drivers' union are set to strike again.
--------------------
Energy bills: What can I do if I can't afford to pay?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62435432?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 25, 2023, 2:22 PM
If you're struggling to afford your gas and electricity bills, what options are available?
--------------------
What is happening to house prices, and could there be a crash?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-63147101?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 1, 2023, 12:47 PM
How higher interest rates are changing the UK's housing market.
--------------------
What are my rights if my flight is cancelled or delayed?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61646214?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 29, 2023, 2:58 PM
Technical glitches have caused disruption at airports but passengers do have rights.
--------------------
Rent increases: What you can do about a rise from your landlord
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63290805?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 17, 2022, 10:42 PM
The BBC's Lora Jones tells you four things you can do, if your landlord asks for more money.
--------------------
Food prices: How can I save money on my grocery shop?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61798003?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 31, 2023, 10:57 AM
The cost-of-living crisis continues to bite. Here are some things that can reduce the impact.
--------------------
Cost-of-living payments: Who is getting them and when?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61592496?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 24, 2023, 10:14 AM
Low-income households, pensioners and some disabled people will get extra help with energy bills.
--------------------
Mortgage rates: Five ways to save money
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65984415?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 10, 2023, 10:46 AM
Experts give advice for those who might be worried about their monthly mortgage payments.
--------------------
How to get a job: Six expert tips for finding work
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64939070?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 14, 2023, 4:03 PM
There are 10m people out of work in the UK, so if you're searching for a job you're not alone. Here are some tips on how to get started.
--------------------
Renting: What are your rights as a tenant?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-65038459?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 21, 2023, 9:03 AM
With one in five people now renting in the UK, it's important to understand your rights as a tenant.
--------------------
Renting: Three ways to win the race to securing a property
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65089308?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 28, 2023, 11:14 PM
From being first in the queue to being more flexible, here are some tips on how to get ahead in the rental race.
--------------------
Rent prices: How much have they gone up in your area?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65103937?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 28, 2023, 11:30 PM
Use our interactive tool to find out what the average rent is in your area.
--------------------
Why inflation is falling but prices are still rising
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64290160?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 19, 2023, 7:29 AM
We report this percentage every month but here are three things you may not know.
--------------------
UK inflation rate calculator: How much are prices rising for you?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62558817?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 16, 2023, 6:14 AM
Use our calculator to find out how much the cost of living is going up in your household.
Debt: What do I do if I can't afford to pay?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64291327?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 23, 2023, 2:45 PM
What help and options are available to people struggling with debt repayments?

Click here to read the complete article