Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 16:21:28 +0000
Subject: BBC News
From: usenet@novabbs.org (rslight rss feeds)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.news
 by: rslight rss feeds - Thu, 24 Aug 2023 16:21 UTC

Asylum backlog rises to record high, official figures show
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66603767?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 24, 2023, 2:21 PM
The number of asylum applications increased by almost a fifth in a year, the Home Office says.
--------------------
Sara Sharif: Court rules girl's Pakistan family cannot be detained
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66603843?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 24, 2023, 1:08 PM
A court in Pakistan says police must not detain relatives of Sara Sharif's father for questioning.
--------------------
Fukushima: China retaliates as Japan releases treated nuclear water
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-66577769?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 24, 2023, 9:59 AM
The controversial discharge of treated nuclear water sparks an outcry and a seafood ban from China.
--------------------
Mary Earps: Nike will sell 'limited quantities' of England World Cup goalkeeper shirts
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66607749?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 24, 2023, 2:08 PM
England fans will be able to buy Mary Earps replica goalkeeper shirts after Nike say "limited quantities" would go on sale.
--------------------
GCSE passes fall, with steepest drop in England
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-66476072?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 24, 2023, 2:56 PM
The drop means thousands more students in England will have to resit maths and English exams.
--------------------
Ukraine claims Crimea landing for 'special operation' on Independence Day
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66603644?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 24, 2023, 2:27 PM
Kyiv claims Russia suffered personnel losses during a firefight in the annexed peninsula's west.
--------------------
Inquiry to be held into Malkinson wrongful rape conviction
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66606328?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 24, 2023, 3:35 PM
The review will examine the miscarriage of justice that saw an innocent man spend 17 years in jail.
--------------------
Luis Rubiales: Fifa opens disciplinary proceedings against Spanish football federation president
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66606387?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 24, 2023, 12:34 PM
World football's governing body opens disciplinary proceedings against Spanish football federation president Luis Rubiales.
--------------------
British Museum thefts: Man questioned by police
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66608285?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 24, 2023, 4:05 PM
The museum announced last week that it had sacked a member of staff over items allegedly going missing.
--------------------
Glyn Razzell refuses to reveal where his wife Linda's body is
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-66603784?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 24, 2023, 2:15 PM
Glyn Razzell appears before a parole board hearing after being convicted of his wife's murder in 2003.
--------------------
Aled Jones: Boy threatened to cut off Welsh singer's arm with machete
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-66604588?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 24, 2023, 2:11 PM
A court heard a 16-year-old boy robbed the Welsh baritone in front of his son in west London.
--------------------
Subway agrees sale to Dunkin' and Baskin-Robbins investor Roark Capital
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66603109?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 24, 2023, 1:31 PM
The sandwich maker has been bought by Roark Capital, ending six decades of family ownership.
--------------------
This may strengthen Putin or open him to revenge - Rosenberg
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66601553?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 24, 2023, 10:00 AM
If Yevgeny Prigozhin's reported death is revenge, it sends a message to Russians, writes Steve Rosenberg.
--------------------
Who is Dmitry Utkin and who else was reportedly on the plane?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66602757?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 24, 2023, 1:42 PM
Wagner chief Prigozhin's "right hand man" Dmitry Utkin, financier Valeriy Chekalov and fighters.
--------------------
Video shows plane plummeting to the ground
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66597449?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 23, 2023, 6:44 PM
Online footage appears to show a plane falling from the sky in the Tver region.
--------------------
Was Wagner chief Yevgeny Prigozhin a dead man walking?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66601452?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 23, 2023, 11:32 PM
Ever since he led a mutinous march on Moscow in late June, some speculated Yevgeny Prigozhin's days were numbered.
--------------------
What happens to the Wagner group now?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66604261?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 24, 2023, 4:00 PM
With a global military footprint, experts are asking how Wagner will fill the void left by its leader.
--------------------
What we know about the incident so far
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66596127?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 24, 2023, 1:51 AM
Wagner chief Yevgeny Prigozhin is presumed dead after a plane he was meant to be on crashed.
--------------------
What is the Wagner mercenary group?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-60947877?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 24, 2023, 11:20 AM
The leader of the Wagner mercenary group is thought to have died in a plane crash in western Russia.
--------------------
Prigozhin's years of living dangerously
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66590919?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 23, 2023, 8:21 PM
For decades Russia's Vladimir Putin relied on Yevgeny Prigozhin's services, until he staged a mutiny.
--------------------
Most Russians far from shocked about jet crash
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66601412?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 23, 2023, 11:34 PM
After his failed rebellion, most Russians were probably surprised this hadn't happened sooner.
--------------------
Ros Atkins on... Wagner leader Yevgeny Prigozhin
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66601033?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 23, 2023, 10:38 PM
The BBC's analysis editor Ros Atkins takes a look at Yevgeny Prigozhin throughout the years.
--------------------
Fukushima: What are the concerns over waste water release?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-66106162?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 23, 2023, 2:05 PM
Japan wants to release Fukushima's waste water into the ocean - and a lot of people are not happy.
--------------------
Republican debate: What they said (and didn't say) about climate
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-66603577?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 24, 2023, 11:01 AM
Twenty minutes into the presidential debate came a simple question. The answers were anything but.
--------------------
Magdalene Laundries: Uncovering the gaslighting and shame
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66376157?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 23, 2023, 11:56 PM
The death of Sinead O'Connor, who stayed in one former laundry as a teen, has prompted renewed interest.
--------------------
Our bus service was cancelled so we started our own
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-66536184?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 24, 2023, 5:17 AM
Residents of a Perthshire village set up their own bus company after losing their local service.
--------------------
NHS consultant strike: How pay compares globally
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-66595839?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 24, 2023, 4:06 AM
Analysis suggests senior doctor pay a little behind Germany and Ireland but higher than Spain and Italy.
--------------------
What's next for Wilko and its 12,500 workers?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66474218?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 24, 2023, 10:52 AM
The retailer is in administration but that doesn't necessarily mean it will disappear from the High Street.
--------------------
Nepal gay marriage 'victory' hits legal roadblock
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-66164531?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 23, 2023, 11:53 PM
A historic court order gave Nepal's same sex couples hope, only for them to have their hopes dashed.
--------------------
World Championships 2023: Katie Moon and Nina Kennedy share pole vault gold medal in Budapest
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/66600733?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 23, 2023, 9:05 PM
Katie Moon and Nina Kennedy decide to share their pole vault gold medal in a touching moment at the World Championships in Budapest.
--------------------
Three events that show the gap between men and women's football
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66579953?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 23, 2023, 3:46 PM
Controversial incidents distracted from women’s achievements on the pitch during the Women’s World Cup.
--------------------
Notting Hill Carnival 2023: The line-up and what you need to know
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-66580333?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 24, 2023, 5:06 AM
Europe's biggest street party returns to west London for the 55th year.
--------------------
King Charles to visit France in September after riot disruption
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66606445?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 24, 2023, 12:17 PM
The Élysée Palace says the King's visit is an "honour" after it was initially postponed in March.
--------------------
Dolphin spotters shaken by Ceredigion porpoise killing
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-66589355?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 24, 2023, 1:59 PM
A boatload of passengers see several bottlenose dolphins attack the smaller sea mammal.
--------------------
Sir John Eliot Gardiner: Famed conductor pulls out of the Proms after alleged assault
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66604555?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 24, 2023, 1:54 PM
Sir John Eliot Gardiner allegedly struck a singer in the face after a performance in France.
--------------------
Labour Party spent more than Conservatives in 2022
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66605159?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 24, 2023, 2:31 PM
The main opposition party lost more members but raised more money than in the previous year.
--------------------
Sheffield boy, 9, passes GCSE maths with top marks
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-66604173?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 24, 2023, 11:04 AM
Sheffield primary school pupil Harry Clark says he found the exam "relatively easy".
--------------------
Edinburgh Fringe: Musical set in gender neutral toilet becomes hot ticket
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66587479?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 24, 2023, 4:45 AM
In Public - The Musical, four strangers who get trapped together after the bathroom door gets stuck.
--------------------
Rising numbers seek help for energy bill debts, warns Citizens Advice
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66592714?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 24, 2023, 7:16 AM
Citizens Advice has seen a 17% rise in the number of people asking for help with gas and electricity bills.
--------------------
California shooting: Four killed, six hurt in Cook's Corner bar
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-66603641?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 24, 2023, 9:50 AM
Six others have been wounded in the incident at Cook's Corner, a popular community hangout.
--------------------
Documentaries shouldn't focus on female victims, Netflix executive says
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66596029?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 24, 2023, 5:30 AM
The streamer's UK head of documentary films says it must expand the stories told about women.
--------------------
Man wins payout over Reading probation office monkey chants
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-66598290?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 24, 2023, 5:08 AM
Lloyd Odain says the Probation Service ignored his complaints about racist abuse from a contractor.
--------------------
North Korea's second spy satellite launch fails
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-66601760?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 24, 2023, 2:22 AM
It appears the rocket carrying the satellite flew further than during the previous attempt.
--------------------
Duck found waddling in Bristol sewage pipe
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-66605032?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 24, 2023, 9:55 AM
Environment and flooding protection team members were surprised to find the duck in a sewage pipe.
--------------------
Rugby World Cup 2023: England wing Anthony Watson ruled out of the World Cup
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/66608039?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 24, 2023, 4:11 PM
England wing Anthony Watson is ruled out of the Rugby World Cup with a calf injury.
--------------------
ATP Tour to hold Next Gen Finals in Saudi Arabia from 2023
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/66607311?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 24, 2023, 3:44 PM
Tennis will be the latest sport to hold one of its professional events in Saudi Arabia, with the Next Gen ATP Finals moving to Jeddah.
--------------------
World Athletics Championships 2023: Race walker proposes at finish line
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/athletics/66608857?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 24, 2023, 2:19 PM
Watch as Hana Burzalova and her team-mate Dominik Cerny get engaged as she crosses the finish line of the women's 35k race walk at the World Athletics Championships in Budapest.
--------------------
Aymeric Laporte leaves Manchester City for Al Nassr in £23.6m move
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66602657?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 24, 2023, 1:35 PM
Aymeric Laporte completes a £23.6m move from Manchester City to Saudi Pro League side Al Nassr.
--------------------
Deivid Washington: Chelsea sign Brazilian teenager from Santos for £17.2m
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66608576?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 24, 2023, 3:10 PM
Chelsea complete the signing of forward Deivid Washington from Brazilian side Santos for a fee in the region of 20m euros (£17.2m).
--------------------
GCSE results 2023, BTec Level 2 and National 5s – full guide
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-53682466?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 24, 2023, 9:13 AM
How do I appeal, what are the grade boundaries, and what can I do next?
--------------------
What are T-levels and what are the grades worth?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-51489571?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 24, 2023, 4:23 AM
T-levels are equivalent to three A-levels, and focus on practical rather than academic subjects.
--------------------
GCSE grades 2023: The 9-1 boundaries explained
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-48993830?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 24, 2023, 9:18 AM
Students across England, Wales and Northern Ireland are receiving their GCSE exam results.
--------------------
King's Lynn GCSE students and the music that helped them through
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-66602980?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 24, 2023, 12:51 PM
Classical, Kylie, Green Day or silence? Pupils share the tunes (or not) that helped them study.
--------------------
How do I choose an apprenticeship, and is the pay good?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c51xenx7pvqo?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 10, 2023, 3:54 PM
Going to school, college or university five days a week is not the only way to get a qualification.
--------------------
I felt lost after school exam results, now I run my own business
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-66399855?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 24, 2023, 4:22 AM
Two entrepreneurs and a fashion writer share advice on what they did after struggling at school.
--------------------
Energy price cap: What is it and will bills continue to go down?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58090533?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 23, 2023, 2:26 PM
The cap which sets typical household energy bills is expected to drop slightly from October.
--------------------
Energy bills: What can I do if I can't afford to pay?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62435432?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 23, 2023, 11:21 AM
If you're struggling to afford your gas and electricity bills, what options are available?
--------------------
Debt: What do I do if I can't afford to pay?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64291327?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 23, 2023, 2:45 PM
What help and options are available to people struggling with debt repayments?
--------------------
Cost-of-living payments: Who is getting them and when?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61592496?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 24, 2023, 10:14 AM
Low-income households, pensioners and some disabled people will get extra help with energy bills.
--------------------
Fuel cost: How to save petrol and diesel
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61745697?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 3, 2023, 1:01 PM
With weak competition adding to fuel prices, are drivers doing the right things to save money?
--------------------
What are my rights if my flight is cancelled?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61646214?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 10, 2023, 4:04 PM
Strikes and poor weather may cause disruption at airports, but passengers do have rights.
--------------------
How much money is the UK government borrowing, and does it matter?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50504151?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 22, 2023, 8:45 AM
How does government borrowing work, and how and when is the money paid back?
--------------------
Mortgage rates: Five ways to save money
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65984415?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 10, 2023, 10:46 AM
Experts give advice for those who might be worried about their monthly mortgage payments.
--------------------
UK inflation rate calculator: How much are prices rising for you?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62558817?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 16, 2023, 6:14 AM
Use our calculator to find out how much the cost of living is going up in your household.
--------------------
Energy saving tips: Five ways to cut costs this winter
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62738249?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 24, 2023, 12:06 PM
Energy prices will be lower this coming winter - but you may be able to save even more on your bill.
--------------------
Rent increases: What you can do about a rise from your landlord
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63290805?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 17, 2022, 10:42 PM
The BBC's Lora Jones tells you four things you can do, if your landlord asks for more money.
--------------------
Cost of living: Five tips when asking for a pay rise
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64288791?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 15, 2023, 10:33 AM
Recruiters, a manager and a workplace psychologist give their advice on how to negotiate for more money.
Rent prices: How much have they gone up in your area?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65103937?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 28, 2023, 11:30 PM
Use our interactive tool to find out what the average rent is in your area.

Click here to read the complete article