Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 16:05:53 +0000
Subject: BBC News
From: usenet@novabbs.org (rslight rss feeds)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.news
 by: rslight rss feeds - Sat, 19 Aug 2023 16:05 UTC

Lucy Letby: Concerns inquiry will not have enough powers
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66553245?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 19, 2023, 1:18 PM
There are calls for a judge-led inquiry into the murders and attempted murders of babies by Lucy Letby.
--------------------
Child among 7 dead in missile strike on Ukrainian theatre
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66554412?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 19, 2023, 3:34 PM
A Russian missile strike on the northern city of Chernihiv has injured 110 people, Ukraine says.
--------------------
William 'sorry' for missing Lionesses World Cup final
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66559702?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 19, 2023, 3:59 PM
The Prince of Wales wishes the England team well in a video message alongside Princess Charlotte.
--------------------
Sweden 2-0 Australia: Kosovare Asllani stunner secures World Cup bronze for Sweden
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66543416?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 19, 2023, 1:00 PM
Kosovare Asllani's stunning second-half strike seals victory for Sweden as they beat Australia to finish third at the Women's World Cup at Brisbane Stadium.
--------------------
UK weather: Storm Betty brings more August wind and rain
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66554592?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 19, 2023, 1:02 PM
It's just the second time since 2015 that the UK has has seen two named storms in August.
--------------------
Sara Sharif murder inquiry: Searches continue for father of 10-year-old
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-66554083?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 19, 2023, 1:31 PM
Police in Pakistan tell the BBC they have been asked to find Urfan Sharif but not arrest him.
--------------------
Michel Roux Jr announces closure of Le Gavroche
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-66553467?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 19, 2023, 7:34 AM
The chef is closing his two Michelin-starred restaurant in Mayfair after 56 years.
--------------------
Michael Jackson lawsuits alleging sex abuse can be revived, US appeals court says
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-66553229?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 19, 2023, 11:17 AM
Judges in California rule Wade Robson and James Safechuck can pursue lawsuits against the singer's companies.
--------------------
West Bank: Two Israelis killed in suspected Palestinian shooting near Huwara
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-66558184?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 19, 2023, 3:50 PM
The Israeli military has set up blockades near the village of Huwara and is hunting for the gunman.
--------------------
Colombia earthquake: Guests leave as live TV broadcast disrupted
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-66553771?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 19, 2023, 11:45 AM
The news anchor remained calm and went to a commercial break.
--------------------
Canada wildfires: British Columbia declares emergency as 15,000 homes told to evacuate
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-66551480?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 19, 2023, 11:23 AM
About 15,000 households are told to evacuate in British Columbia, which has declared a province-wide emergency.
--------------------
Britney Spears on Sam Asghari divorce: 'I couldn't take the pain anymore'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66553230?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 19, 2023, 1:51 PM
Writing after her husband filed for divorce, the singer says she "couldn't take the pain anymore".
--------------------
Bradley Cooper: Why Bernstein nose row is complicated
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66545013?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 18, 2023, 11:02 PM
The actor's depiction of Jewish composer Leonard Bernstein has created debate in the acting community.
--------------------
WeWork: What went wrong for the much-hyped firm?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66536126?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 18, 2023, 11:06 PM
The office space-sharing company has raised "substantial doubt" about its future.
--------------------
Rochdale grooming: How another gang went under the radar
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-66416549?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 19, 2023, 8:08 AM
One of the victims, who suffered four years of sickening abuse, had to wait eight years for justice.
--------------------
I worked on the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie from thousands of miles away
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-66533036?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 19, 2023, 8:26 AM
Artist Sean Sevestre has played a key role in the creation of the film despite being based in Edinburgh.
--------------------
Jon Batiste: Opening portals to new musical worlds
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66542518?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 18, 2023, 11:17 PM
After his surprise album of the year win at the Grammys, Jon Batiste wants to expand music's horizons.
--------------------
We are building an Iron Age village by hand
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-66478550?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 19, 2023, 8:25 AM
The Scottish Crannog Centre burnt down two years ago but now a new village is being built.
--------------------
The Papers: 'Ten chances' to stop Letby and 'How many more?'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-66551412?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 19, 2023, 5:26 AM
The murder of seven babies by nurse Lucy Letby, the UK's worst child killer, leads the papers.
--------------------
Fans, fires and faces: Photos of the week from around the world
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-66543435?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 18, 2023, 11:18 PM
A selection of striking images from around the world, taken over the past seven days.
--------------------
Tribute paid to 'priceless' girl who died in van crash
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-66554042?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 19, 2023, 10:49 AM
Millie Gribble died two days after she and two teenagers were struck by a van, police say.
--------------------
Women's World Cup final: 'England have to play game of our lives' against Spain - Bright
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66553411?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 19, 2023, 9:30 AM
England have to "play the game of our lives" if they are to win the Women's World Cup, says captain Millie Bright.
--------------------
Twitter, now X, to remove blocking feature - Musk
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66550959?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 18, 2023, 7:46 PM
Elon Musk says the feature "makes no sense", but users are concerned about protection from abuse.
--------------------
Russia sanctions UK politicians and journalists
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66548488?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 18, 2023, 7:25 PM
Those on the list include Culture Secretary Lucy Frazer and BBC News chief executive Deborah Turness.
--------------------
Albania: Italy pays bill for tourists' dine and dash
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66548487?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 18, 2023, 9:26 PM
In a unique act of diplomacy, Italy's prime minister tells her government to settle the unpaid bill.
--------------------
Bibby Stockholm: Hoax listing for asylum barge on travel website
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-66550863?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 18, 2023, 8:34 PM
A man has admitted his listing for the Bibby Stockholm craft on Booking.com was done as "a joke".
--------------------
Cat and dog influencers help Ukrainians cope with war
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66509999?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 18, 2023, 11:00 PM
How animals' accounts have been bringing Ukrainians hope and even practical advice at a time of war.
--------------------
Ukraine war: US allows transfer of Danish and Dutch F-16 war planes to Kyiv
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66551478?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 18, 2023, 10:56 PM
US-made jets in Denmark and the Netherlands can be sent to Ukraine when its pilots are fully trained.
--------------------
West Ham star Paqueta investigated over potential betting breaches
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66550787?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 18, 2023, 9:52 PM
West Ham midfielder Lucas Paqueta is being investigated by the Football Association for potential betting rule breaches, sources confirm to the BBC.
--------------------
How a suicide bomb attack changed the lives of UN aid workers
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-66524445?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 18, 2023, 11:14 PM
Two decades ago the UN's Baghdad office was hit with a deadly blast - staff share their experiences.
--------------------
New chapter that saw phone box transformed into book swap hotspot
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-66545991?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 18, 2023, 4:39 PM
The team behind Elland's repurposed red phone box celebrate a year of sharing stories.
--------------------
Emmerson Mnangagwa - Zimbabwe’s ‘crocodile’ who wants another bite
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-66542695?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 18, 2023, 11:23 PM
What drives Robert Mugabe's ouster, Emmerson Mnangagwa, as he seeks a second term in office?
--------------------
British Museum thefts: What we know so far
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66543589?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 18, 2023, 5:00 PM
The museum has sacked a staff member over the theft of items, which the police are now investigating.
--------------------
Women's World Cup 2023: Sweden defeat co-hosts Australia 2-0 to finish third
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/66470704?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 19, 2023, 11:05 AM
Watch highlights as Kosovare Asllani's stunning second-half strike seals victory for Sweden as they beat Australia to finish third at the Women's World Cup 2023.
--------------------
Women's World Cup 2023: Lionesses tournament journey from 1995 to present day
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/66554852?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 19, 2023, 12:15 PM
From reaching the quarter-finals in 1995 to securing a spot in this year's final, we look back at the Lionesses' World Cup journey.
--------------------
Women's World Cup final: How England became good at women’s football
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66533140?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 19, 2023, 12:45 PM
More than 50 years after a ban on women's football was lifted, England are in to the World Cup final - but how did we get here?
--------------------
Sarina Wiegman: The mastermind behind the Lionesses' success
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62016998?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 18, 2023, 1:53 PM
BBC Sport speaks to players and coaches to get an insight into Sarina Wiegman as she prepares to lead England into the World Cup final.
--------------------
Spain v England: Jorge Vilda - the divisive Spain coach targeting Women's World Cup glory
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66539272?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 18, 2023, 6:58 AM
Spain face England in the Women's World Cup with their boss Jorge Vilda dividing opinion after he survived a player revolt to keep his job.
--------------------
Spain v England: Key moments from the 2023 Fifa Women's World Cup
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66539278?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 18, 2023, 4:38 PM
England and Spain have both reached the Women's World Cup final for the first time. BBC Sport takes a look back at some of their key moments on the way.
--------------------
How do I watch the final?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66521251?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 16, 2023, 1:04 PM
The Women's World Cup final between England and Spain on Sunday will be shown live on BBC One, BBC iPlayer and the BBC Sport website.
--------------------
Women's World Cup 2023: Ex-England defender Gary Neville says Lionesses spirit and resolve is 'incredible'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/66515685?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 17, 2023, 10:16 AM
Speaking on BBC Breakfast, former England player and coach Gary Neville says the Lionesses are "making their mark on everybody in this country" with their run to Sunday's World Cup final.
--------------------
Women's World Cup final: England's Lauren James 'ready' to play against Spain - Emma Hayes
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66541607?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 18, 2023, 7:03 AM
Lauren James "would be ready" if she is recalled to England's starting XI for the Women's World Cup final, says her Chelsea manager Emma Hayes.
--------------------
Alessia Russo: 'Locked in' England will handle World Cup final pressure
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66543234?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 18, 2023, 11:10 AM
England striker Alessia Russo says the squad will do their best to treat the Women's World Cup final against Spain like a "normal game".
--------------------
Sarina Wiegman: England manager 'has no plans to leave' role despite US job vacancy
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66543228?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 18, 2023, 11:12 AM
Sarina Wiegman says she has "no plans to leave" her job as England manager and intends to see out the rest of her contract, which lasts until 2025.
--------------------
Women's World Cup: Ellen White - 'England have momentum but game of chess awaits in final'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66530508?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 17, 2023, 7:35 AM
We've been waiting for that performance from England, and Sarina Wiegman has brought everyone together, says record scorer Ellen White.
--------------------
Sarina Wiegman: FA says any approaches would be '100% rejected'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66530873?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 17, 2023, 1:04 PM
Chief executive Mark Bullingham says the Football Association wants England manager Sarina Wiegman to remain in charge "for a very long time".
--------------------
Spain's Queen Letizia to attend World Cup final against England
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66535460?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 17, 2023, 3:09 PM
FA President Prince William and other British royals will not be going to Sydney for the event.
--------------------
Cost of living: Five tips when asking for a pay rise
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64288791?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 15, 2023, 10:33 AM
Recruiters, a manager and a workplace psychologist give their advice on how to negotiate for more money.
--------------------
Interest rate and mortgages: What you can do about rising payments
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66384295?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 3, 2023, 3:44 AM
Watch the BBC's Lora Jones tell you five things you can do about your mortgage, in a minute.
--------------------
Food prices: How can I save money on my grocery shop?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61798003?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 31, 2023, 10:57 AM
The cost-of-living crisis continues to bite. Here are some things that can reduce the impact.
--------------------
Debt: What do I do if I can't afford to pay?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64291327?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 23, 2023, 2:45 PM
What help and options are available to people struggling with debt repayments?
--------------------
Cheaper train tickets: Five ways to save money
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64827711?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 16, 2023, 8:56 PM
As rail fares increase, we find the ways passengers can keep journeys as cheap as possible.
--------------------
Rent increases: What you can do about a rise from your landlord
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63290805?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 17, 2022, 10:42 PM
The BBC's Lora Jones tells you four things you can do, if your landlord asks for more money.
--------------------
Interest rates: How a rise affects you and your money
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57764601?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 16, 2023, 2:02 PM
The Bank of England has put up interest rates 14 times in a bid to slow price rises.
--------------------
Why inflation is falling but prices are still rising
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64290160?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 19, 2023, 7:29 AM
We report this percentage every month but here are three things you may not know.
--------------------
UK inflation rate calculator: How much are prices rising for you?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62558817?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 16, 2023, 6:14 AM
Use our calculator to find out how much the cost of living is going up in your household.
--------------------
How to get a job: Six expert tips for finding work
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64939070?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 14, 2023, 4:03 PM
There are 10m people out of work in the UK, so if you're searching for a job you're not alone. Here are some tips on how to get started.
--------------------
Five ways to save money on your packed lunch
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65312394?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
April 26, 2023, 11:05 PM
As the cost of food continues to rise, we hear some top tips on making savings at lunchtime.
--------------------
What is the UK inflation rate and why is it so high?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12196322?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 16, 2023, 6:56 AM
The rate at which prices are rising remains high, driven by soaring food prices.
--------------------
Energy bills: What can I do if I can't afford to pay?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62435432?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 25, 2023, 8:30 AM
If you're struggling to afford your gas and electricity bills, what options are available?
--------------------
Renting: Three ways to win the race to securing a property
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65089308?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 28, 2023, 11:14 PM
From being first in the queue to being more flexible, here are some tips on how to get ahead in the rental race.
--------------------
Hospital bosses ignored months of doctors' warnings about Lucy Letby
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66120934?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 18, 2023, 4:57 PM
Hospital bosses failed to investigate allegations and tried to silence doctors, BBC investigation finds.
--------------------
'Lucy Letby is a hateful human being' - twins' parents
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66382674?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 18, 2023, 5:01 PM
The nurse was found guilty of murdering one of their babies and attempting to murder the other the following day.
--------------------
Who is baby serial killer Lucy Letby?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-65058159?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 18, 2023, 12:26 PM
Her trial spanned 10 months, but what is known about the nurse who murdered seven newborn babies?
--------------------
Lucy Letby: Investigating the UK's most prolific child killer
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-66192653?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 19, 2023, 1:47 AM
Detectives who closed the net around Lucy Letby tell of their dealings with the "emotionless" killer.
--------------------
Watch moment police arrest nurse Lucy Letby
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66534712?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 18, 2023, 12:21 PM
The nurse who was found guilty of murdering seven babies at the Countess of Chester Hospital is led from her home into a police car.
--------------------
The text messages Lucy Letby sent as she murdered babies
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66120198?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 18, 2023, 12:42 PM
Messages on Letby's phone show her trying to win sympathy or deflect blame after murdering babies.
--------------------
Victims' parents: 'Letby is a hateful human being who took everything from us'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66108747?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 18, 2023, 12:22 PM
The mum and dad whose two boys were victims of nurse Lucy Letby have spoken exclusively to the BBC.
--------------------
Lucy Letby's first police interview
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66534713?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 18, 2023, 12:22 PM
The nurse went on to be found guilty of seven murders at the Countess of Chester Hospital.
Lucy Letby: What did the nurse do to babies in her care?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-65176260?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 18, 2023, 1:01 PM
Neonatal nurse Lucy Letby is found guilty of murdering seven babies and trying to kill six others.

Click here to read the complete article