Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2023 20:00:50 +0000
Subject: BBC News
From: usenet@novabbs.org (rslight rss feeds)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.news
 by: rslight rss feeds - Wed, 18 Jan 2023 20:00 UTC

Ukraine interior ministry leadership killed in helicopter crash
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-64315594?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 18, 2023, 7:17 PM
Ukraine's interior minister and other officials are among 14 killed in the crash beside a nursery.
--------------------
Father of missing newborn is registered sex offender
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64320904?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 18, 2023, 6:25 PM
The baby's mother, Constance Marten, is from a wealthy family but is now estranged from them, say police.
--------------------
Greta Thunberg: German police deny protest detainment was staged
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-64321652?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 18, 2023, 5:33 PM
"We are not extras for Greta Thunberg" police say, after false claims her detainment at a protest was set up.
--------------------
Strikes update: How nurses' strikes on Thursday will affect you
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64311738?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 18, 2023, 6:45 PM
What you need to know about the nurses' strike and other industrial action, by the BBC's Zoe Conway.
--------------------
Train strikes: Cheaper to settle, minister admits
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64317725?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 18, 2023, 4:38 PM
It would have cost the UK less if the disputes had been settled months ago, admits rail minister.
--------------------
Dover-Calais ferries suspended due to French strike
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64325486?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 18, 2023, 6:51 PM
The one-day national strike action in France will also affect Eurostar rail services.
--------------------
O2 Brixton Academy: Crush victim’s family call for answers
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64263074?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 18, 2023, 2:43 PM
A man whose sister died after a crush outside a gig in December says her family want answers and justice.
--------------------
Brexit: Ministers clash with MPs over plan to scrap EU laws
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-64294885?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 18, 2023, 7:09 PM
Thousands of UK laws are due to expire automatically at the end of this year, prompting warnings from MPs.
--------------------
Met Police chief inspector arrested over child abuse images found dead
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-64321188?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 18, 2023, 6:39 PM
The Met Police chief inspector, who was found dead at home, had been arrested for various offences.
--------------------
Arsenal investigating two incidents of anti-Semitism in north London derby
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64325467?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 18, 2023, 6:55 PM
Arsenal launch an investigation into "two disturbing incidents" of anti-Semitic abuse during their north London derby against Tottenham Hotspur.
--------------------
Peterborough doorbell video sees man trying to enter 15 homes
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-64322784?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 18, 2023, 3:34 PM
After police appealed for doorbell footage, the attempted burglar was identified and jailed.
--------------------
UK inflation rate calculator: How much are prices rising for you?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62558817?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 18, 2023, 7:08 AM
Use our calculator to find out how much the cost of living is going up in your household.
--------------------
Can I get a Cold Weather Payment and how much are they?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55992592?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 18, 2023, 11:44 AM
Cold Weather Payments are available to some when there is a run of sub-zero temperatures.
--------------------
Cost of living: Five tips when asking for a pay rise
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64288791?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 17, 2023, 2:26 PM
Recruiters, a manager and a workplace psychologist give their advice on how to negotiate for more money.
--------------------
How to stay warm and cope with the cold weather
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63888234?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 17, 2023, 10:08 AM
Much of the UK is facing another cold snap amid rising fuel costs.
--------------------
Cost of living: Debt fears after Christmas on credit
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-64309914?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 18, 2023, 6:11 AM
A charity says the knock-on effect will be felt in coming months as people cannot pay their bills.
--------------------
Dr Ranj: Four ways to protect your mental health as debt rises
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64290817?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 16, 2023, 12:40 PM
The rising cost of living can be stressful but there are steps you can take to help.
--------------------
Cost of living: What do I do if I can't afford to pay my debts?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64291327?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 16, 2023, 12:27 PM
What help and options are available to people struggling with debt repayments?
--------------------
Cost of living: The father and son who write poetry for tough times
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-64237224?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 15, 2023, 12:22 AM
Winston "Mayor" Lindsay and his son, Zayden, perform poetry about socio-economic issues.
--------------------
Cost of living: The young people saving money by going sober
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-64176409?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 16, 2023, 12:03 AM
With the price of alcohol going up, young people say they're saving money by going sober.
--------------------
The Suffolk manor house where 60 people live together
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-64153693?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 9, 2023, 6:20 AM
Members of a farming community who live in an old friary feel protected from the cost-of-living crisis.
--------------------
Cost of living: 'We had to bath our kids in the kitchen sink'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-64213649?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 11, 2023, 3:03 AM
A rural family who ran out of heating oil say they were forced to wash their children in the kitchen.
--------------------
Repairing broken gadgets for a greener future
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-63737951?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 10, 2023, 2:48 AM
A group of volunteers in Camden, London, want to save your broken electricals from the scrapheap.
--------------------
What is the energy price cap and what will happen to bills?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58090533?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 9, 2023, 7:52 PM
The energy bill support package will continue after April, but will be less generous.
--------------------
Can batch cooking help cut your shopping bills?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-64162405?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 8, 2023, 9:23 AM
Suzanne Mulholland's time saving tips have gathered her a significant following on social media.
--------------------
Energy bills: What cost-of-living payments are available and how do you claim?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61592496?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 10, 2023, 11:19 AM
Low-income households, pensioners and some disabled people can get extra help with energy bills.
--------------------
Shower at home vs at the gym: What’s cheaper?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63988095?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 4, 2023, 11:03 PM
We investigate if getting a gym membership could actually save you money in the shower.
--------------------
What is the UK inflation rate and why is the cost of living rising?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12196322?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 18, 2023, 9:19 AM
The rate at which prices are rising has fallen slightly, but inflation remains near a 40-year high.
--------------------
BBC Food's family £1 recipe meal plan
https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/articles/budget_family_meal_plan_for_four#xtor=CS8-1000-%5BEditorialPromo_Box%5D-%5BNewsEditorial_Promo%5D-%5BNewsEditorial_Promo%5D-%5BPS_FOOD~N~~P_budget_meal_plannerFP%5D
October 18, 2022, 11:42 AM
This budget-friendly meal plan covers a week's worth of dinners for four adults, coming in at under £28 in total.
--------------------
Iran protests: 15 minutes to defend yourself against the death penalty
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-64302726?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 18, 2023, 7:21 AM
Iran's courts are convicting protesters after fast-track trials that activists say are grossly unfair.
--------------------
Seoul Halloween crush: A grieving father's promise to his daughter
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-64300192?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 17, 2023, 10:04 PM
Relatives say authorities are responding to the disaster in a cold and indifferent way.
--------------------
Will some teachers receive a 15.9% pay rise?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/64308563?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 18, 2023, 4:44 PM
Fact-checking claims by Education Secretary Gillian Keegan and teachers' union boss Mary Bousted.
--------------------
‘No explanation why my healthy child died’
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-64325114?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 18, 2023, 5:42 PM
Hannah and Claire’s young sons both died suddenly and unexpectedly.
--------------------
Scotland Gender Recognition Bill: What are the sticking points?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64304740?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 17, 2023, 6:15 PM
A plan to make it easier to get a gender recognition certificate has led to a constitutional row.
--------------------
'Rugby helped me heal after the pain of stillbirth'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-64292254?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 17, 2023, 11:41 PM
A woman who had a stillborn baby says playing rugby saved her life.
--------------------
Nigeria elections 2023: How influencers are secretly paid by political parties
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-63719505?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 18, 2023, 1:10 AM
Nigerian politicians are hiring social media influencers to spread disinformation ahead of February's elections.
--------------------
CEO Secrets: Chess gets a risqué makeover
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64303222?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 17, 2023, 11:39 PM
Ilya Merenzon, CEO of World Chess, shares his business advice for our CEO Secrets series.
--------------------
Strikes Update: How nurses' strikes on Wednesday will affect you
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64258402?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 17, 2023, 5:21 PM
What you need to know about the nurses' strike and other industrial action, by the BBC's Zoe Conway.
--------------------
Emma Raducanu: Australian Open performance against Coco Gauff leaves her feeling optimistic
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/64317631?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 18, 2023, 1:09 PM
Emma Raducanu has "no doubts" she can compete with the very best after pushing seventh seed Coco Gauff in a gallant defeat at the Australian Open.
--------------------
Snooker match-fixing investigation - 10 Chinese players charged by WPBSA
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/64297128?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 18, 2023, 3:55 PM
Ten Chinese players face match-fixing charges as snooker's governing body investigates the sport's biggest corruption scandal.
--------------------
Equal pay: Football Association of Wales agree landmark deal
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64299007?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 18, 2023, 12:01 PM
Wales' men's and women's senior players will be paid the same for representing their country for the first time.
Masterclass: Alessia Russo of Man Utd shows you how to be a top forward
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/64263851?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 18, 2023, 7:22 AM
England and Manchester United striker Alessia Russo breaks down her game in a close-range finishing masterclass, including forward runs, first touch and plenty of goalscoring.

Click here to read the complete article