Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 18:02:27 +0000
Subject: BBC News
From: usenet@novabbs.org (rslight rss feeds)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.news
 by: rslight rss feeds - Mon, 19 Dec 2022 18:02 UTC

Brixton Academy: Security worker dies after Asake gig crush
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-64019806?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 19, 2022, 5:12 PM
Asake's gig at London's Brixton O2 Academy was abandoned after people were seriously hurt.
--------------------
Government to sue Mone-linked PPE firm for £122m
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-64029040?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 19, 2022, 5:57 PM
PPE Medpro won contracts to supply PPE after being recommended by then Tory peer Baroness Mone.
--------------------
Care workers paid £8,000 less than NHS equivalents in England - study
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64025830?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 19, 2022, 5:05 PM
Social care workers earn about £8,000 a year less than NHS staff, a study suggests - with some relying on food parcels.
--------------------
Will Elon Musk's ultimatum cost him Twitter?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-64003232?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 19, 2022, 5:15 PM
The BBC's technology editor Zoe Kleinman looks at the future of Musk and Twitter.
--------------------
Who is striking? How Tuesday 20 December’s walkouts will affect you
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63999154?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 19, 2022, 5:14 PM
More cancelled appointments and medical disruption as nurses strike again - by the BBC’s Zoe Conway.
--------------------
Lionel Messi named BBC Sports Personality's World Sport Star of the Year
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/sports-personality/64027088?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 19, 2022, 5:30 PM
Lionel Messi is named BBC Sports Personality's World Sport Star of the Year after inspiring Argentina to World Cup glory.
--------------------
COP15: Nations reach 'historic' deal to protect nature
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-64019324?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 19, 2022, 3:27 PM
The plan will put 30% of the planet under protection by the end of the decade.
--------------------
Student, 23, charged after eggs thrown at King Charles in York
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64032088?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 19, 2022, 5:32 PM
The 23-year-old man will appear in court next year after being charged with a public order offence.
--------------------
Iran protests: Family finds signs of torture on man's exhumed body
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-64025754?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 19, 2022, 4:39 PM
The 23-year-old's relatives say they found severe injuries and stitching when they exhumed his body.
--------------------
Amber Heard settles defamation case against Johnny Depp
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-64031252?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 19, 2022, 5:24 PM
Ms Heard will pay her ex-husband $1m after jury found she had defamed him in a Washington Post article.
--------------------
Frank Salemme: Former mafia boss dies in prison at 89
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-63991453?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 19, 2022, 4:36 PM
Frank Salemme was serving a life sentence for killing a Boston nightclub owner in 1993.
--------------------
Battery lights vs mains LED bulbs: What's cheaper?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63910430?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 19, 2022, 1:42 AM
As some shoppers swap mains bulbs for battery lights, we investigate if money is really being saved.
--------------------
What is the UK inflation rate and why is the cost of living rising?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12196322?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 15, 2022, 4:29 PM
The rate at which prices are rising has fallen slightly, but inflation remains near a 40-year high.
--------------------
What is a recession and how could it affect me?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52986863?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 12, 2022, 10:44 AM
The OBR says Britain's economy will shrink next year and grow only slowly in the years after that.
--------------------
Energy saving tips: Five ways to cut costs this winter
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62738249?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 12, 2022, 3:08 AM
With winter weather here and energy prices up, here are some ways to save money on your bills.
--------------------
Cost of Living: How you're delaying switching on the heating
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63301913?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 20, 2022, 12:27 AM
Readers tell BBC News how they are managing to stay warm, without yet turning on the heating.
--------------------
Cost of living: The 'lucky' caravan couple facing a freezing future
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-63974990?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 17, 2022, 1:12 AM
The BBC visits a Lincolnshire warm space and speaks with a couple seeking respite from the chill.
--------------------
House bills: Grant Shapps shares energy saving tips from inside his house
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64010595?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 17, 2022, 9:24 AM
During a tour of his home, Grant Shapps faces questions about the government's intervention on energy bills.
--------------------
Cost of living: Parents ask for Calpol and baby wipes for Christmas
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-64000376?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 17, 2022, 7:21 AM
With many families struggling to heat homes or feed children, presents are "on the backburner".
--------------------
UK interest rates: How the rise affects you and how high it could go
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57764601?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 15, 2022, 12:18 PM
Interest rates have risen again as the cost if living goes up, so how could this affect you?
--------------------
What's the best way to heat a room this winter?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/15R4PpS7qFDbJ6QrY3Hy36S/whats-the-best-way-to-heat-a-room-this-winter?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 16, 2022, 3:54 PM

--------------------
Is it cheaper to cook with an air fryer?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63317138?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 20, 2022, 12:26 AM
The BBC’s Sliced Bread Team has been investigating whether the popular food gadget can save you money.
--------------------
Mortgage calculator: how much will my mortgage go up?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63474582?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
November 3, 2022, 10:47 AM
Use our calculator to find out how much mortgage payments could go up for your household.
--------------------
Mortgages: What happens if I miss a payment?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63486782?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 8, 2022, 11:38 AM
Homeowners are worried about higher mortgage costs - but lenders must help those struggling.
--------------------
Can I get a Cold Weather Payment and how much are they?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55992592?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 16, 2022, 10:43 AM
Cold Weather Payments are available to some owing to a run of sub-zero temperatures.
--------------------
Ukraine war: How pathologists identify victims of Russia's invasion
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-63987512?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 19, 2022, 6:00 AM
Scientists are finding and naming family members killed by Russian troops, one mouth swab at a time.
--------------------
World Cup 2022: Elation in Argentina, sorrow in France - fans react
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-64018472?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 18, 2022, 8:38 PM
The party goes off in Buenos Aires as Argentina celebrates but in Paris there is disappointment.
--------------------
This year's Christmas Number One: Your very quick guide
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-64002002?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 19, 2022, 3:02 PM
When's it announced, who's in the running, and what's the biggest Christmas song of all time?
--------------------
Mother of ill child grills health secretary on NHS plans
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-64024306?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 19, 2022, 10:55 AM
Steve Barclay is told by the mother that she is scared for "the length" of her daughter's life.
--------------------
Ariana Grande, 1D and The Weeknd songwriter reveals his secrets
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-63574532?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 19, 2022, 9:38 AM
Savan Kotecha writes songs for some of the world's biggest artists - he tells Newsbeat how he does it.
--------------------
BBC Young Reporter: 'Why don't more teachers look like me?'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-63946894?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 19, 2022, 2:23 AM
BBC Young Reporter David investigates why there are so few black and minority ethnic teachers.
--------------------
Glass Onion: Daniel Craig's Knives Out sequel continues Whodunit craze
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-62645614?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 19, 2022, 2:22 AM
Glass Onion is the latest in a string of film and TV series which reflect a resurgence of the genre.
--------------------
Etsy: We're not about getting loo roll quickly
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63984098?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 19, 2022, 12:17 AM
People are prepared to wait longer for handmade items, says the chief of the e-commerce firm.
--------------------
Who is striking? How this coming week’s walkouts will affect you
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63999140?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 18, 2022, 5:00 PM
Useful information on strikes during the week up to Christmas, by the BBC’s Zoe Conway.
--------------------
Cost of living: 'We sold nearly everything just to pay bills'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-63975351?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 19, 2022, 6:21 AM
Leah Callaghan worries about how she will keep her house warm for her daughter this Christmas.
--------------------
Netherlands slavery: Saying sorry leaves Dutch divided
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-63993283?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 19, 2022, 3:10 PM
In his apology, Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte said enslavement was a "crime against humanity".
--------------------
'I quit my job rather than go back to the office'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63944632?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 19, 2022, 12:30 AM
Is there a growing divide between employers who want staff back in the office and employees who want to work from home?
--------------------
Canada's polar-bear capital Churchill warms too fast for bears
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-63603489?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 18, 2022, 7:00 PM
The amount of time without sea-ice is becoming too long for the bears to survive, experts say.
--------------------
Matt Dawson column: Steve Borthwick's England to-do list
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/63985770?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 19, 2022, 12:01 PM
The Farrell question. A new captain. A fresh identity. Matt Dawson runs through new England coach Steve Borthwick's in-tray.
--------------------
World Cup 2022: Why norms LGBTQ+ football fans took for granted have been shaken
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63993302?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 19, 2022, 5:02 PM
Many LGBTQ+ fans and allies feel let down by the authorities after experiencing discrimination at the World Cup in Qatar - and the BBC's Jack Murley believes that will be the tournament's true legacy.
--------------------
World Cup 2022: Alternative angles as Messi's Argentina lift the World Cup trophy
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/64033048?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 19, 2022, 5:23 PM
Take a look at how the most dramatic World Cup final played out, with alternative angles, behind the scenes content and unseen shots.
--------------------
World Cup 2022: Argentina win third World Cup after incredible final against France
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/64020129?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 18, 2022, 6:09 PM
Lionel Messi finally achieves his World Cup dream as Argentina win their third crown on penalties following one of the greatest finals in the tournament's history at Lusail Stadium.
--------------------
World Cup 2022: Argentina's victory over France watched by peak of 14.9m people on BBC One
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64026863?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 19, 2022, 1:35 PM
Argentina's victory over France in the World Cup final was watched by a peak of 14.9m people on BBC One.
--------------------
World Cup 2022: How Emiliano Martinez's mind games helped Argentina win shootout
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/64021182?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 18, 2022, 8:21 PM
Alan Shearer and Rio Ferdinand look at the antics of Argentina goalkeeper Emiliano Martinez after he made two saves during their World Cup final penalty shootout victory over France.
--------------------
World Cup 2022: Five trends from Qatar - upsets, injury time & penalties
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64027504?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 19, 2022, 3:52 PM
Argentina defeat France on penalties to win the World Cup in a tournament that saw more goals and shocks, record numbers of teenagers - and veterans - making starts.
--------------------
World Cup 2022: How the world reacted to Argentina's win
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64024082?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 19, 2022, 9:37 AM
One newspaper suggests a destiny has been fulfilled for Lionel Messi, while another says it is "spring once again in Argentina" - BBC Sport looks at how the world reacted to the World Cup final.
--------------------
Alexis Mac Allister: Brighton hope to keep Argentina midfielder for as long as possible
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64024704?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 19, 2022, 2:02 PM
Brighton hope "it won't be a problem for a couple of years" when it comes to keeping hold of Alexis Mac Allister, says chief executive Paul Barber.
--------------------
World Cup 2022: An explosion of joy as Argentina wins
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-64026174?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 19, 2022, 12:58 PM
Argentines are giddy with joy as they celebrate their football team's victory in the World Cup.
--------------------
World Cup final: Lionel Messi leads Argentina to glory - is he now football's greatest?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64021057?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 18, 2022, 8:43 PM
After Lionel Messi led Argentina to World Cup glory, no-one can now deny he belongs in the same pantheon as Pele and Diego Maradona.
--------------------
World Cup 2022: Choose your best tournament XI
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64019356?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 19, 2022, 6:57 AM
Who caught your eye the most at the 2022 World Cup? We reveal the XI with the best average ratings, who the stats say was best and ask you to choose your team of the tournament.
World Cup 2022: Great images from Qatar and the story behind the photos
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63802161?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 19, 2022, 6:57 AM
A selection of great World Cup photographs taken in Qatar - plus the stories behind them by the people who captured them.

Click here to read the complete article