Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2022 17:48:33 +0000
Subject: BBC News
From: usenet@novabbs.org (rslight rss feeds)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.news
 by: rslight rss feeds - Thu, 15 Dec 2022 17:48 UTC

Two brothers among boys who died after falling in icy lake
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-63984056?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 15, 2022, 5:27 PM
Tributes are paid to Jack Johnson, siblings Finlay and Samuel Butler and Thomas Stewart.
--------------------
Murder inquiry after woman and two children die in Kettering
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-63988687?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 15, 2022, 5:40 PM
A woman died at the scene and two children, aged four and six, died later in hospital, police say.
--------------------
Harry and Meghan Netflix: William screamed at me during summit, says Harry
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63983062?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 15, 2022, 5:00 PM
The prince says it was "terrifying" to have his brother shout at him during a meeting at Sandringham.
--------------------
Who is striking? How Friday 16 December’s walkouts will affect you
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63978047?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 15, 2022, 5:19 PM
Travellers face disruption on the railways and roads on Friday - by the BBC’s Zoe Conway.
--------------------
Strep A: Pharmacies can now give alternative antibiotics
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-63991359?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 15, 2022, 5:24 PM
The new protocol comes amid temporary supply issues of penicillin to treat strep A, as cases rise.
--------------------
UK interest rates raised to highest level for 14 years
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63977963?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 15, 2022, 4:01 PM
The Bank of England lifts borrowing costs to 3.5% from 3%, the ninth rise in a row.
--------------------
Government announces inquiry into allegations SAS killed Afghan civilians
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63984311?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 15, 2022, 2:25 PM
The government will expand a planned inquiry to include murder allegations against special forces.
--------------------
Eight children among 39 rescued from migrant boat
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63982143?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 15, 2022, 5:07 PM
A teenager is confirmed to be among the four people who died, while four others are still missing.
--------------------
Inhaled metal Tube dust can enter bloodstream, study finds
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-63979876?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 15, 2022, 4:07 PM
High levels of maghemite were found in some air samples but it is not known if they are harmful.
--------------------
Rare ice pancakes form on River Wharfe in Yorkshire
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-63992286?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 15, 2022, 5:04 PM
Dog walker Michael Cox spotted them on the Wharfe between Bolton Priory and Bolton Bridge.
--------------------
Mortgages: What happens if I miss a payment?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63486782?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 8, 2022, 11:38 AM
Homeowners are worried about higher mortgage costs - but lenders must help those struggling.
--------------------
How I'm preparing for possible blackouts
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63958634?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 14, 2022, 12:01 AM
Battery-powered lanterns and cleaning the fireplace, the BBC explores how habits are changing this winter.
--------------------
UK interest rates: How the rise affects you and how high it could go
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57764601?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 15, 2022, 12:18 PM
Interest rates have risen again as the cost if living goes up, so how could this affect you?
--------------------
Mortgage calculator: how much will my mortgage go up?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63474582?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
November 3, 2022, 10:47 AM
Use our calculator to find out how much mortgage payments could go up for your household.
--------------------
Energy saving tips: Five ways to cut costs this winter
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62738249?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 12, 2022, 3:08 AM
With winter weather here and energy prices up, here are some ways to save money on your bills.
--------------------
Cost of Living: How to have a Christmas party on a budget
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63796154?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 4, 2022, 12:11 AM
With money tight, there are ways you can organise a Christmas party without the financial hangover.
--------------------
Can I get a Cold Weather Payment and how much are they?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55992592?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 9, 2022, 2:47 PM
Cold Weather Payments are available to some if temperatures stay low.
--------------------
What is the UK inflation rate and why is the cost of living rising?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12196322?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 15, 2022, 4:29 PM
The rate at which prices are rising has fallen slightly, but inflation remains near a 40-year high.
--------------------
UK inflation rate calculator: How much are prices rising for you?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62558817?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 14, 2022, 7:18 AM
Use our calculator to find out how much the cost of living is going up in your household.
--------------------
Buy now, pay later: Things you need to know about the loan schemes
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63910427?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 12, 2022, 11:31 PM
With Christmas fast approaching here's what you need to know before borrowing money.
--------------------
Cost of living: Woman chooses mental health therapy over heating
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-63903850?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 12, 2022, 6:12 AM
Hedydd Elias says she was told in 2019 she would have to wait two-and-a-half years for NHS therapy.
--------------------
Netflix analysis: This time Harry and Meghan got personal
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63989967?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 15, 2022, 3:34 PM
The Netflix finale shows the family tensions and fallings out as Harry and Meghan left for the US.
--------------------
The Meghan and Harry family photos we've not seen before
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-63902679?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 15, 2022, 12:57 PM
Meghan and Harry's Netflix series featured a number of family snaps, here are some of the best.
--------------------
Youth homelessness: 'I thought I'd be at uni, not on the streets'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-63974346?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 15, 2022, 2:09 AM
Kaitlyn was kicked out of her home last year and feels there needs to be more support for under 25s.
--------------------
Strep A symptoms: What you need to know, in a minute
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-63910429?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 14, 2022, 10:26 AM
If you're worried, the BBC's health reporter Laura Foster has some information to help.
--------------------
World Cup: Despair and pride for Moroccans as tournament run ends
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-63978932?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 14, 2022, 10:29 PM
Moroccan hopes of being the first African side to reach the last two ended in a 2-0 defeat by France.
--------------------
Italian label maybe but the beer's British brewed
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63901215?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 15, 2022, 12:25 AM
The global brewing giants highlight a brand's nationality but does it matter when they brew it overseas?
--------------------
Tory MP dismayed by abuse received for taking maternity leave
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63985745?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 15, 2022, 12:44 PM
Theo Clarke says public life is toxic for women, as she calls for MPs to be given maternity cover.
--------------------
Norwich Puppet Theatre bridge brought back into use after 30 years
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-63969116?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 15, 2022, 1:26 PM
The only bridge of its kind inspires a new production of Cinderella using long-string marionettes.
--------------------
Zara Aleena: The prolific offender who murdered a law graduate
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-63956133?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 14, 2022, 5:38 PM
Jordan McSweeney beat Zara Aleena to death as she walked home from a night out in east London.
--------------------
PhD student solves 2,500-year-old Sanskrit problem
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cg3gw9v7jnvo?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 15, 2022, 8:34 AM
Rishi Rajpopat, from India, decodes a rule taught by Panini, a master of the ancient language.
--------------------
As South Korea abolishes its gender ministry, women fight back
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-63905490?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 14, 2022, 9:41 PM
Seoul is abolishing its equality ministry, despite a vast gender pay gap and pervasive sexism.
--------------------
English National Opera: Where next after being told to move out of London?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-63931433?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 15, 2022, 1:50 AM
English National Opera will "definitely" move out of London, and 10 areas have offered it a home.
--------------------
World Cup: France fans jubilant as Morocco's dream ends
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-63977885?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 14, 2022, 9:31 PM
Celebrations for Les Bleus as Moroccan fans are left in silent despair.
--------------------
David 'Les' Ross: The unsolved Corby murder with a dead suspect
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-63779994?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 15, 2022, 1:58 AM
David Ross died just weeks after achieving his dream of owning a nightclub.
--------------------
How a British special forces raid went wrong, and a young family paid the price
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63908301?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 14, 2022, 12:58 AM
Special forces killed two Afghan parents and shot their two boys. No one was held accountable.
--------------------
World Championships: Adam Peaty 'angry' with 100m breaststroke bronze in Melbourne
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/swimming/63982857?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 15, 2022, 2:34 PM
Double Olympic champion Adam Peaty says "I don't get bronze often" after missing out on the 100m breaststroke title at the World Championships.
--------------------
World Cup 2022: How Julian Alvarez is proving key for Argentina
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63970188?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 15, 2022, 4:21 PM
Argentina captain Lionel Messi describes team-mate Julian Alvarez a "spectacular" and "extraordinary" after his World Cup semi-final double.
--------------------
Boris Becker: Former Wimbledon champion released after serving eight months of prison sentence
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/63987543?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 15, 2022, 5:03 PM
Boris Becker is released from prison after serving eight months of his sentence for hiding £2.5m worth of assets and loans to avoid paying debts.
--------------------
Mercedes name Mick Schumacher as reserve driver to Lewis Hamilton and George Russell for 2023
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/63984381?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 15, 2022, 1:49 PM
Mick Schumacher is to be the Mercedes reserve driver in 2023 after Haas replaced him for Nico Hulkenberg for next season.
--------------------
Freya Kemp: England all-rounder ruled out of the Women's T20 World Cup with stress fracture
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/63987135?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 15, 2022, 1:13 PM
England all-rounder Freya Kemp will miss the 2023 Women's T20 World Cup after suffering a stress fracture in her back.
--------------------
Running with the Hadza - the race celebrating a way of life
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/63958092?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 15, 2022, 6:39 AM
Runners must forage for food and make their own fires to keep warm in a new ultra-marathon in the Tanzanian bushlands.
--------------------
Sheff Utd's McBurnie cleared of stamping on fan
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-63983666?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 15, 2022, 5:29 PM
Sheffield United striker Oli McBurnie is cleared of a charge of assault by beating.
--------------------
Are nurses striking in your area? Use our look-up to find out
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-63985539?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 15, 2022, 10:25 AM
As nurses take part in the largest strike in NHS history, use our tool to see if your area is affected.
--------------------
Would it cost the government £700m to raise nurses' pay?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/63988517?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 15, 2022, 5:08 PM
Fact-checking a claim made by Health Minister Maria Caulfield.
--------------------
A really simple guide to the strikes
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-63744325?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 5, 2022, 11:39 AM
Nurses, posties, teachers and lecturers are going on strike. Here's a simple rundown of why and how.
--------------------
Nurses strike: Thousands join first walkout on 'sad day'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-63974670?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 15, 2022, 3:49 PM
About 17,000 nurses at almost all health boards in Wales are striking for the first time over pay.
--------------------
December strikes: Who is striking and what are their pay claims?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62134314?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 15, 2022, 12:36 PM
Hundreds of thousands of workers have walked out, or threatened to, causing widespread disruption.
--------------------
Nurses' strike: 'I want to join the picket but can't afford to'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-63757087?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 14, 2022, 10:40 AM
Some nurses can't join their colleagues on the picket lines for financial or practical reasons.
--------------------
Nurses' strike: What is the dispute about and how will it affect patients?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-63561305?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 15, 2022, 10:00 AM
Nurses belonging to the Royal College of Nursing union have voted to strike.
--------------------
Nurses' strike: How much do you know about their pay? Try our quiz
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-63749010?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
November 25, 2022, 8:45 AM
The BBC's Laura Foster tests your knowledge in this video quiz, with five questions on nurses' pay.
--------------------
World Cup 2022: France win over Morocco sets up Messi-Mbappe duel many craved
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63980941?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 14, 2022, 10:54 PM
France beat Morocco to set up a final potentially for the ages against Argentina as Kylian Mbappe meets Lionel Messi.
--------------------
World Cup 2022: Lionel Messi v Kylian Mbappe final - which players have dominated tournaments?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63972081?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 15, 2022, 10:05 AM
Will Argentina's Lionel Messi or France's Kylian Mbappe inspire their nation to World Cup success? BBC Sport looks at other players who have been instrumental in earlier tournaments.
--------------------
World Cup 2022: Morocco dream over as they are beaten by France in semi-final
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63979844?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 14, 2022, 10:52 PM
The World Cup dream is over for Morocco but there is no sadness, just sheer pride at their country's historic performance.
--------------------
World Cup 2022: How did water-stressed Qatar find enough for pitches?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-63988887?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 15, 2022, 12:54 PM
The World Cup host nation artificially produced huge amounts of water for daily use.
--------------------
World Cup 2022: 'We want to bring visibility to LGBTQ+ fans after tournament in Qatar'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/63988867?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 15, 2022, 2:58 PM
Dr Nasser Mohamed, an openly gay Qatari, who no longer lives in Qatar, tells BBC Sport about starting an LGBTQ+ supporters' group.
--------------------
World Cup 2022: France beat Morocco to reach World Cup final
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/63980030?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 14, 2022, 8:56 PM
France will have a chance to defend their title they won in 2018 after beating Morocco 2-0 to reach World Cup final.
--------------------
World Cup 2022: Argentina v France - pick your combined XI
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63978053?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 15, 2022, 9:03 AM
As we build up to the World Cup final between Argentina and France, we want you to select your combined XI.
--------------------
World Cup 2022: How players rated as France beat Morocco in semi-final
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63979761?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 14, 2022, 10:05 PM
How the players rated as France beat Morocco in the Fifa World Cup semi-final in Qatar.
--------------------
The Argentine pop song that's Messi's anthem
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63959109?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 13, 2022, 1:22 PM
An Argentine pop song has become the unofficial World Cup anthem for Lionel Messi, the Argentina squad and fans.
--------------------
World Cup 2022: Lionel Messi voted your star player in semi-final win
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63965255?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 13, 2022, 9:59 PM
Lionel Messi was voted player of the match as he led his side to the World Cup final with victory over Croatia in Qatar.
World Cup 2022: Antoine Griezmann - an underrated France legend?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63934955?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
December 13, 2022, 4:03 PM
Three months ago, France's Antoine Griezmann was a substitute amid a contract farce - now there is no stopping him in his second great World Cup.

Click here to read the complete article