From: poster@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.security
Subject: Whoops, our bad, we just may have 'accidentally' left Google Home devices
recording your every word,
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2020 05:44:32 -0700
logging-data="25361"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@def5.org"
 by: Anonymous - Sun, 9 Aug 2020 12:44 UTC
Attachments: zb_sp.jpg (image/jpeg)

https://www.theregister.com/2020/08/08/ai_in_brief/

Sorry, it was a software problem...wtf ?
It's time companies would have to pay for such violations. If you build a car that causes accidents because there is a fault in the construction, you are liable. Same should be true for software.

The part about Google:

54 Reg comments Got Tips?
Katyanna Quach Bio Email Twitter

In brief Your Google Home speaker may have been quietly recording sounds around your house without your permission or authorization, it was revealed this week.

The Chocolate Factory admitted it had accidentally turned on a feature that allowed its voice-controlled AI-based assistant to activate and snoop on its surroundings. Normally, the device only starts actively listening in and making a note of what it hears after it has heard wake words, such as “Ok, Google” or “Hey, Google,” for privacy reasons. Prior to waking, it's constantly listening out for those words, but is not supposed to keep a record of what it hears.

Yet punters noticed their Google Homes had been recording random sounds, without any wake word uttered, when they started receiving notifications on their phone that showed the device had heard things like a smoke alarm beeping, or glass breaking in their homes – all without giving their approval.

Google said the feature had been accidentally turned on during a recent software update, and it has now been switched off, Protocol reported. It may be that this feature is or was intended to be used for home security at some point: imagine the assistant waking up whenever it hears a break in, for instance. Google just bought a $450m, or 6.6 per cent, stake in anti-burglary giant ADT.
GPT-3 wrote this? No way!

A blog post written almost entirely by OpenAI’s text-generator GPT-3 attracted thousands of visitors. And only one person suspected it was generated by AI software rather than a human writer, apparently.

Liam Porr, a computer science student at the University of California, Berkeley, promoted the bogus self-help blog online. To his surprise, the post received lots of page views, though only one person noticed that although the sentences made grammatical sense, the writing lacked any substance, so they suspected foul play.

Porr revealed that, indeed, it was written using a tool based on OpenAI’s latest text generator. He fed the model up to five sentences at a time, and it would fill in the rest, producing a whole article. It took a bit of fiddling to get the best results, however, and he generated several versions and made sure to delete sentences that included fake-sounding quotes.

Porr reckons his experiment is proof that GPT-3 isn’t yet good enough for complete automation yet; human writers will still need to edit and polish copy. However, tools like GPT-3 provide a way to crank out content on the internet much more quickly, he opined.

Attachments: zb_sp.jpg
Re: Whoops, our bad, we just may have 'accidentally' left Google Home devices recording your every word,

<cf0c9e48efc592eab7aa7f77a1caa163$1@rslight.i2p>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=146&group=rocksolid.shared.security#146

From: Mei@rslight.i2p (Mei)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.security
Subject: Re: Whoops, our bad, we just may have 'accidentally' left Google Home
devices recording your every word,
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2020 06:58:02 +0000
 by: Mei - Mon, 10 Aug 2020 06:58 UTC

I don't think that part about GPT-3 was meant to be included :)
Companies should certainly be held responsible for their actions. Too bad no one will do it.
--
Posted on: Rocksolid Light
rslight.i2p