Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2022 15:04:52 +0000
Subject: BBC News
From: usenet@novabbs.org (rslight rss feeds)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.news
 by: rslight rss feeds - Sun, 30 Oct 2022 15:04 UTC

Suella Braverman email could throw fresh doubt over security breach claims
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63444573?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 30, 2022, 10:33 AM
An email sent from the home secretary's account could raise questions over how quickly she took action.
--------------------
Incendiary devices thrown at Dover migrant centre
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-63446683?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 30, 2022, 2:53 PM
A Reuters witness says a man threw petrol bombs at the immigration centre in Dover before killing himself.
--------------------
Michael Gove commits to 300,000 homes target
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63445365?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 30, 2022, 1:31 PM
Former PM Liz Truss had cast doubt on the aim, saying she would scrap "Stalinist" housing targets.
--------------------
Brazil's Bolsonaro and Lula battle it out for top job
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-63439230?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 30, 2022, 1:33 PM
Brazilians on both sides of the political divide say they are anxious following a polarising campaign.
--------------------
Do not intervene with Just Stop Oil protests, Met urges
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-63445355?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 30, 2022, 10:15 AM
The force made the plea after several members of the public took matters into their own hands.
--------------------
No one chooses to become an addict, says Catherine
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63440985?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 30, 2022, 1:16 AM
The Princess of Wales sends a message telling people with addictions not to be ashamed to get help.
--------------------
Nancy Pelosi: We are traumatised by hammer attack
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-63443927?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 30, 2022, 2:41 AM
The US House Speaker says her family is grateful for warm wishes as her husband recovers in hospital.
--------------------
Moreton murder inquiry: Man, 79, held after woman shot
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-63445831?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 30, 2022, 10:09 AM
The suspect was known to the woman whose body was found with a gunshot wound, police say.
--------------------
King to hold event to mark COP27 summit he will miss
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63447714?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 30, 2022, 2:32 PM
King Charles is not going to the climate conference, but will host a pre-summit gathering in London.
--------------------
Somalia Mogadishu bombings: Twin blasts kill 100 in capital
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-63445415?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 30, 2022, 10:26 AM
The president blames al-Shabab militants for being behind what he describes as a cowardly attack.
--------------------
Philip Hammond: Raise taxes for all to improve services
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63446173?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 30, 2022, 11:52 AM
The former chancellor says all earners will need to see higher taxes if public services are to improve.
--------------------
Ukraine war: Russia halts grain deal after 'massive' Black Sea Fleet attack
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-63439760?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 29, 2022, 7:48 PM
The UN says it is vital not to imperil the deal, as Ukraine accuses Russia of "using a false pretext".
--------------------
Seoul Halloween crush: Aftermath of disaster in pictures
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-63444231?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 30, 2022, 1:38 PM
Images from South Korea reveal how Halloween revellers met with disaster in a giant crush.
--------------------
S Korea Halloween crush: 'I was trapped on ledge, watching people die'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-63443868?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 30, 2022, 12:00 PM
Survivors have been speaking of their horror at watching friends and strangers suffocate.
--------------------
Itaewon crowd crush: 'I was trying to do CPR, but they were both dead'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-63444229?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 30, 2022, 10:40 AM
Witnesses describe the horror of being jammed in a crowd who had gone to celebrate Halloween.
--------------------
South Korea Halloween crush: Video shows panic as crowd surges
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-63442529?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 29, 2022, 6:07 PM
Halloween revellers are seen struggling in huge crowds as emergency services attend the scene.
--------------------
South Korea: Droves of revellers leave area after deadly Seoul crush
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-63442531?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 29, 2022, 10:20 PM
Footage shows rescue workers at the scene in Seoul as crowds of revellers leave the bustling area.
--------------------
Cost of living: 'We've only got 30p left on our prepayment meter'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-63398234?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 30, 2022, 1:01 AM
A mother says having a prepayment meter installed has made her situation "exponentially worse".
--------------------
Why is there a global energy crisis and who might suffer most from it?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-63430824?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 30, 2022, 1:05 AM
Russia's invasion of Ukraine has led to soaring energy prices, threatening supply to the world's poorest.
--------------------
Cost of living: Deptford charity turns phone box into community hub
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-63380376?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 30, 2022, 1:02 AM
An old phone box has been helping people struggling with the rising costs of living in Deptford.
--------------------
The Highland haven insulated from rising energy prices
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-63402811?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 29, 2022, 8:24 AM
A hydroelectric scheme provides power for the 120 people living in the remote community of Knoydart.
--------------------
'Rental prices make me feel pushed out of my hometown’
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63313742?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 29, 2022, 12:27 AM
With prices on the rise, could rents play a part in how people vote at the next election?
--------------------
Cost of living: Bridgend woman says kids worried they won't eat
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-63427517?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 29, 2022, 6:04 AM
One mother says a charity is supporting her as the rising costs of heating and food hit home.
--------------------
What is the UK inflation rate and why is the cost of living rising?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12196322?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 25, 2022, 9:55 AM
The price of the things we spend our money on is again rising at its highest rate in 40 years.
--------------------
BBC Food's family £1 recipe meal plan
https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/articles/budget_family_meal_plan_for_four#xtor=CS8-1000-%5BEditorialPromo_Box%5D-%5BNewsEditorial_Promo%5D-%5BNewsEditorial_Promo%5D-%5BPS_FOOD~N~~P_budget_meal_plannerFP%5D
October 18, 2022, 11:42 AM
This budget-friendly meal plan covers a week's worth of dinners for four adults, coming in at under £28 in total.
--------------------
Cost of living: 'I may have to put my child in care due to bills'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-63372328?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 26, 2022, 11:50 PM
A mum says she fears being separated from her disabled daughter due to energy costs.
--------------------
Contents of a single parcel go up by £19 - food bank provider
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-63385874?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 26, 2022, 5:19 AM
High inflation sees charities having to use more of their funds to provide the basics for those who struggle.
--------------------
Energy bill fears as winter looms on the edge of Scotland
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-63386010?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 28, 2022, 5:20 AM
Many people living in remote communities are concerned about the impact of rapidly rising prices.
--------------------
Which countries are doing the most to tackle energy bills?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/61522123?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 7, 2022, 2:11 PM
European countries have taken different approaches to higher energy bills.
--------------------
Rishi Sunak: What will the new PM and the Autumn Statement mean for my money?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63387955?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 26, 2022, 10:30 AM
Big decisions affecting your money will be announced in next month's Autumn Statement.
--------------------
BBC experts on six things you can do as cost of living rises
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63284645?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 18, 2022, 9:48 PM
BBC correspondents share some things that could help you cope with rising prices.
--------------------
How to cut your energy bills
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62738249?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 20, 2022, 11:48 AM
Energy bills have gone up, but there are some easy ways households can reduce costs.
--------------------
Cost of living: How can I save money on my food shop?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61798003?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 5, 2022, 12:40 PM
The cost-of-living crisis continues to bite. Here are some things that can reduce the impact.
--------------------
Akshata Murty: Who is Rishi Sunak's wife?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63371276?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 30, 2022, 12:54 AM
Rishi Sunak's wife is a billionaire's daughter who has divided her life between three continents.
--------------------
The Papers: 'Johnson will attend COP27' and 'Truss hacked'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-63443105?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 30, 2022, 5:12 AM
Most of the Sunday papers look at Rishi Sunak's decision not to attend the COP27 climate summit.
--------------------
Inside a US military cyber team’s defence of Ukraine
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63328398?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 30, 2022, 12:59 AM
A little-known US team that hunts global adversaries has helped protect Ukraine from cyber attacks.
--------------------
How much grain has been shipped from Ukraine?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-61759692?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 30, 2022, 11:00 AM
Russia says it's pulling out of the deal to allow Ukraine to export grain by sea. How much was shipped?
--------------------
Meet the designers with learning disabilities
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-63412071?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 29, 2022, 10:52 PM
A design agency in Barcelona has creatives with learning disabilities, autism and schizophrenia.
--------------------
Ford Fiesta fans on why they love their cars
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-63410377?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 30, 2022, 1:08 AM
As Ford announces the end of the Fiesta, keen fans sing its praises and mourn its loss.
--------------------
Laura Kuenssberg: Don't believe it's back to boring with PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63439096?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 29, 2022, 4:48 PM
Rishi Sunak will be a different kind of PM but it's not the end of the drama, writes Laura Kuenssberg.
--------------------
Lebanon cholera: 'We're afraid of everything now'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-63414875?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 30, 2022, 1:06 AM
The infectious disease is spreading fast in a country ill-equipped to stop it.
--------------------
Putin pins Ukraine hopes on winter and divisive US politics
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-63414324?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 28, 2022, 11:26 PM
As fears grow of Russian nuclear escalation over Ukraine, Steve Rosenberg explains why he considers such a drastic step unlikely.
--------------------
Paul Pelosi attack: Violent extremism warning ahead of US election
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-63434960?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 28, 2022, 11:38 PM
Hours after Nancy Pelosi's husband is attacked, US intelligence warns candidates face a "heightened risk".
--------------------
Will Donald Trump go back on to Twitter?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-63436425?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 29, 2022, 1:48 AM
Donald Trump shares a love for Twitter with Elon Musk, its new owner, but times have changed.
--------------------
Ros Atkins on... Brexit and the UK economy
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63426412?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 29, 2022, 1:05 AM
Rishi Sunak says he wants to build an economy that embraces the opportunities of Brexit.
--------------------
Jerry Lee Lewis: A toxic cocktail of scandal, addiction and violence
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-19963797?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 28, 2022, 5:26 PM
The notorious wild man of rock’n’roll - who married his 13-year-old cousin and shot his bass player - has died at 87.
--------------------
Escaping the Liverpool race riots of 1919
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-63344662?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 29, 2022, 12:08 AM
Ernest Marke was attacked by a white mob in Liverpool.
--------------------
The Papers: 'Pay up, PM' and 'Navy probes sex pest scandal'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-63435594?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 29, 2022, 8:09 PM
The papers report a visit by Rishi Sunak to a Croydon hospital and claims about misconduct in the Navy.
--------------------
Trapped in Saudi Arabia: A mother's fight to free her daughter
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-62903758?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 28, 2022, 11:34 PM
Carly took her daughter to Saudi Arabia to visit her father. Three years later, she's still there.
--------------------
Qatar 2022: Why are people protesting about the World Cup host?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61635340?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 29, 2022, 12:03 AM
World Cup host Qatar is receiving complaints over its human rights record and laws on homosexuality.
--------------------
British Nigerian artist Dylema paints African women using gold
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-63434248?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 29, 2022, 7:19 AM
A British Nigerian artist is using pure gold to paint portraits depicting the stories of African diaspora women.
--------------------
Elon Musk: How the world's richest person bought Twitter
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-63408534?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 28, 2022, 1:41 AM
One of the most publicised and frenetic deals in Silicon Valley history has reportedly been completed.
--------------------
China Covid: Millions back in lockdown as Beijing doubles down on zero-Covid
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-63410341?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 28, 2022, 4:36 AM
Dozens of cities across the country have been affected by varying degrees of restrictions.
--------------------
The woman set alight by her ex who 'got on with life'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-63351734?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 28, 2022, 12:45 PM
Jaqueline Kirk was not bitter and found solace in nature photography, those who knew her say.
--------------------
'I wouldn't bring a member of my family to this hospital,' says medic
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-63205305?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 28, 2022, 12:20 AM
Gloucestershire Royal has some of England's worst ambulance waiting times, with a hard winter to come.
--------------------
The crash dummy aimed at protecting women drivers
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-62877930?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 28, 2022, 11:47 AM
Researchers in Sweden are close to completing an industry-first average female crash test dummy.
--------------------
Quiz of the week: Which Doctor Who stars surprised fans?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-63411715?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 27, 2022, 3:36 PM
How closely have you been paying attention to what's been going on over the past seven days?
--------------------
Why are so many workers going on strike?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62134314?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 27, 2022, 8:06 PM
Hundreds of thousands of workers have walked out, or threatened to, causing widespread disruption.
--------------------
People's memories projected on to Worcester buildings
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-63428190?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 28, 2022, 11:05 AM
A "time travel trail" in Worcester sees special displays of photos and videos of residents reminiscing.
--------------------
Ros Atkins On… Hu Jintao's puzzling China Congress exit
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-63424130?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 28, 2022, 7:02 AM
A look at why China's former leader was led out of the Communist Party Congress.
--------------------
Can you dress up for Halloween without hurting the planet?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-63381855?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 27, 2022, 11:34 PM
How influencers are combatting the environmental costs of fast fashion Halloween costumes
--------------------
Asian Network turns 20: 'A safe space for British Asians'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-63405757?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 28, 2022, 12:32 AM
From music to cultural discussions, Asian Network has provided a "community" feel for 20 years.
--------------------
Salcombe murder: AA man's 'bizarre' encounter with killer
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-63394796?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 28, 2022, 5:13 AM
How an AA technician came face to face with Jemma Mitchell, who was dumping her victim's body.
--------------------
US midterms: Abortion, guns and crime shape Texas governor's race
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-63381391?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 28, 2022, 8:48 AM
The contest between Beto O'Rourke and Greg Abbott is a textbook showdown of the US left and right.
--------------------
T20 World Cup: South Africa secure thrilling win over India
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/63445157?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 30, 2022, 2:53 PM
South Africa move to the top of Group 2 with a nervy five-wicket victory over India at the Men's T20 World Cup in Perth.
--------------------
WSL: Nikita Parris gives Manchester United an early lead against Everton
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/63448493?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 30, 2022, 2:44 PM
Watch as Manchester United's Nikita Parris scores to give her side an early lead over Everton in the Women's Super League.
--------------------
Liverpool: Trent Alexander-Arnold says 'something's not going right' after Leeds defeat
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63441681?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 30, 2022, 1:38 PM
Trent Alexander-Arnold says "something's not going right" with Liverpool after a second successive Premier League defeat.
--------------------
Jair Bolsonaro: The Amazon and why world is watching Brazil's election
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-63313990?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 21, 2022, 4:09 PM
Some say the future of the largest rainforest in the world depends on who becomes Brazil's president.
--------------------
Brazil election: Accusations and misinformation on the campaign trail
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/63374100?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 25, 2022, 11:47 PM
President Bolsonaro faces rival Lula da Silva in a second-round run-off on 30 October.
--------------------
How Brazil's election campaign turned ugly
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-63422128?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 28, 2022, 12:47 AM
From disputed polls to "conspirituality", Brazil's presidential run-off has split society.
--------------------
Brazil election: Why are the poor voting for Lula?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-63400249?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 26, 2022, 10:38 PM
Poverty is a huge election issue as many Brazilians struggle amid the cost of living crisis.
Brazil election: How the famous yellow football shirt has become politicised
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62887765?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 30, 2022, 12:15 AM
As Brazil's election - and the World Cup - approach, the famous yellow shirt is being politicised.

Click here to read the complete article