"The following is not for the weak of heart or Fundamentalists." -- Dave Barry

computers / alt.folklore.computers / Re: “Coloured Book” Protocols

SubjectAuthor
* “Coloured Book” ProtocolsLawrence D'Oliveiro
`* Re: “Coloured Book” ProtocolsTheo
 +- Re: “Coloured Book” ProtocolsLawrence D'Oliveiro
 +- Re: bitsavers, was “Coloured Book” ProtocolsJohn Levine
 +* Re: “Coloured Book” ProtocolsDennis Boone
 |`- Re: “Coloured Book” ProtocolsLawrence D'Oliveiro
 `- Re: “Coloured Book” ProtocolsBob Eager

1
“Coloured Book” Protocols

<v0n6aa$1hgen$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10570&group=alt.folklore.computers#10570

From: ldo@nz.invalid (Lawrence D'Oliveiro)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Subject: “Coloured Book” Protocols
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2024 04:05:31 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lawrence D'Oliv - Mon, 29 Apr 2024 04:05 UTC

Before TCP/IP became dominant, academic institutions in the UK were
connected via JANET, using their own “Coloured Book” protocol stack
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coloured_Book_protocols>.

Do any of these documents still exist? It would be cool to scan them and
contribute them to Bitsavers ...

Re: “Coloured Book” Protocols

<+vD*YKaJz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10574&group=alt.folklore.computers#10574

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Subject: Re: “Coloured_Book” Protocols
Date: 29 Apr 2024 23:52:58 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Mon, 29 Apr 2024 22:52 UTC

Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo@nz.invalid> wrote:
> Before TCP/IP became dominant, academic institutions in the UK were
> connected via JANET, using their own “Coloured Book” protocol stack
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coloured_Book_protocols>.
>
> Do any of these documents still exist? It would be cool to scan them and
> contribute them to Bitsavers ...

I don't think Bitsavers takes submissions, but archive.org will.

I had a dig around and didn't manage to find online copies. This article:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0169755288900293
(maybe paywall? the paper isn't very interesting anyway)
has references for the coloured books, as follows:

"[1] CCITT, Data Communication Networks, Services and
Facilities, Terminal Equipment and Interfaces Recom-
mendation X.25, 1980.
[2] A Network Independent Transport Service, SG3/CP(80)2,
Study Group 3 of British Telecom PSS User Forum, 1980.
[3] Character Terminal Protocols on PSS (Revision 1),
SG3/CP(81)6, Study Group 3 of British Telecom PSS User
Forum, 1981.
[4] Simple Screen Management Protocol, JNT, 1985.
[5] A. Network Independent File Transfer Protocol, FTP-B(80),
High Level Protocol Group, as revised by the File Transfer
Protocol Implementors' Group of the Data Communica-
tion Protocols Unit, 1981.
[6] A Network Independent Job Transfer and Manipulation
Protocol, DCPU/JTMP(81), The JTMP Working Party of
the Data Communications Protocols Unit, 1981.
[7] S.E. Kille, JNT Mail Protocol (Revision 1), Department of
Computer Science, University College, London, 1984.
[8] Transition to OSI Standards, Final Report of the Academic
Community OSI Transition Group, 1987.
[9] G. Neufeld, J. Demco, B. Hilpert and R. Sample, EAN: An
X.400 Message System, Proc. 2nd International Symposium
on Computer Message Systems, IFIP, Washington, DC
(1985).
References [2]-[8] are available from JNT, c / o Rutherford
Appleton Laboratory, Chilton, Didcot, Oxfordshire OXll 0QX,
United Kingdom."

I think:
[2] = yellow book
[3] = green book
[4] = fawn book
[5] = blue book
[6] = red book
[7] = grey book

This retrospective has a good outline of the timeline:
https://web.archive.org/web/20080528040321/http://www.uknof.com/uknof7/Reid-History.pdf

I did some searching around the British Library, Cambridge University Libary
and UCL Library and didn't find much. Cambridge has [5] (not borrowable):
https://idiscover.lib.cam.ac.uk/permalink/f/t9gok8/44CAM_ALMA21375077320003606

There are various papers discussing the transition from JNT protocols (JNT
= 'joint network team' which are the people who ran JANET = 'joint
academic network') to the OSI model in the mid/late 80s, eg [8] above.

There's some discussion of the book protocols, mostly in terms of
interfacing with the Internet, in the late-70s/early-80s IENs:
https://www.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/ien/ien-index.html

In particular C.J.Bennett is involved with FTP (IEN59) and yellow book
transport (IEN153/154/155) and I think IEN169 by Bennett might be a sketch
of blue book mail.

P.F.Linington is a name that comes up a lot in the 1980s discussions of the
protocols, and it seems he's still around at Kent (retired):
https://research.kent.ac.uk/programming-languages-systems/person/peter-linington/
Could be worth emailing, or perhaps Bob of this parish might have a contact?

Theo

Re: “Coloured Book” Protocols

<v0p8j3$20lfm$6@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10576&group=alt.folklore.computers#10576

From: ldo@nz.invalid (Lawrence D'Oliveiro)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2024 22:56:36 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lawrence D'Oliv - Mon, 29 Apr 2024 22:56 UTC

On 29 Apr 2024 23:52:58 +0100 (BST), Theo wrote:

> I don't think Bitsavers takes submissions ...

No? Where does their stuff come from, then?

Re: bitsavers, was “Coloured Book” Protocols

<v0phpa$19ai$1@gal.iecc.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10581&group=alt.folklore.computers#10581

From: johnl@taugh.com (John Levine)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Subject: Re: bitsavers, was “Coloured_Book” Protocols
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2024 01:33:30 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: johnl@iecc.com (John Levine)
 by: John Levine - Tue, 30 Apr 2024 01:33 UTC

According to Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk>:
>Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo@nz.invalid> wrote:
>> Before TCP/IP became dominant, academic institutions in the UK were
>> connected via JANET, using their own “Coloured Book” protocol stack
>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coloured_Book_protocols>.
>>
>> Do any of these documents still exist? It would be cool to scan them and
>> contribute them to Bitsavers ...
>
>I don't think Bitsavers takes submissions, but archive.org will.

They do, but as it says near the bottom of the home peage, it's
basically one guy and he has a large backlog of stuff to scan,
I sent him some manuals for stuff like the 360/44 to fill gaps
in the collection.

--
Regards,
John Levine, johnl@taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",

Re: “Coloured Book” Protocols

<1u-dnRvaFZfXya37nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10582&group=alt.folklore.computers#10582

Sender: <drb@yagi.h-net.org>
From: drb@ihatespam.msu.edu (Dennis Boone)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2024 02:15:38 +0000
 by: Dennis Boone - Tue, 30 Apr 2024 02:15 UTC

> I don't think Bitsavers takes submissions, but archive.org will.

At this point, Al avoids taking paper, but he'll often take a properly
scanned manual, see the site for details of his preferred forms.

De

Re: “Coloured Book” Protocols

<v0pr09$28g0v$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10583&group=alt.folklore.computers#10583

From: ldo@nz.invalid (Lawrence D'Oliveiro)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2024 04:10:50 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lawrence D'Oliv - Tue, 30 Apr 2024 04:10 UTC

On Tue, 30 Apr 2024 02:15:38 +0000, Dennis Boone wrote:

>> I don't think Bitsavers takes submissions, but archive.org will.
>
> At this point, Al avoids taking paper, but he'll often take a properly
> scanned manual ...

Yeah it makes sense he would want contributors to do the scanning and send
him the results. Somehow I automatically assumed that was what was meant.
Also, they don’t have to give up their precious paper originals,
either. ;)

Re: “Coloured Book” Protocols

<l9c3j4Ft8lfU8@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=10584&group=alt.folklore.computers#10584

From: news0009@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: 30 Apr 2024 11:39:16 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Tue, 30 Apr 2024 11:39 UTC

On Mon, 29 Apr 2024 23:52:58 +0100, Theo wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo@nz.invalid> wrote:
>> Before TCP/IP became dominant, academic institutions in the UK were
>> connected via JANET, using their own “Coloured Book” protocol stack
>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coloured_Book_protocols>.
>>
>> Do any of these documents still exist? It would be cool to scan them
>> and contribute them to Bitsavers ...

I would imagine that some university library has it in its archives. Mine
doesn't, though.

I was involved in using these protocols quite a bit, but never had to
implement them. The operating system we used at the time was a bit niche:

https://emas.bobeager.uk

We didn't use all of them, but ...

> [2] A Network Independent Transport Service, SG3/CP(80)2,
> Study Group 3 of British Telecom PSS User Forum, 1980.

Yellow book. This was implemented on our multiple Cambridge Rings. We
eventually moved to TCP/IP on Ethernet, of course.

> [3] Character Terminal Protocols on PSS (Revision 1),
> SG3/CP(81)6, Study Group 3 of British Telecom PSS User Forum, 1981.

Green Book. This, of course. We built our own PADs.

> [5] A. Network Independent File Transfer Protocol, FTP-B(80),
> High Level Protocol Group, as revised by the File Transfer Protocol
> Implementors' Group of the Data Communica-
> tion Protocols Unit, 1981.

Blue Book. We used this a lot, but far more unwieldy that FTP/IP.

> [7] S.E. Kille, JNT Mail Protocol (Revision 1), Department of Computer
> Science, University College, London, 1984.

Grey Book. This was a bit of a disaster. I remember going to a meeting to
discuss this, and the powers that be insisted that email addresses should
be of the form:

xxx@com.example.subdomain

despite all the implementors present protesting. It caused all sorts of
problems, with failed deliveries all over the place to addresses such as:

xxx@com.example.subdomain.example.com

> I think:
> [2] = yellow book [3] = green book [4] = fawn book [5] = blue book [6] =
> red book [7] = grey book

Didn't use all of them, but the colours are correct.

> P.F.Linington is a name that comes up a lot in the 1980s discussions of
> the protocols, and it seems he's still around at Kent (retired):
> https://research.kent.ac.uk/programming-languages-systems/person/peter-
linington/
> Could be worth emailing, or perhaps Bob of this parish might have a
> contact?

I doubt he has anything, but teh quoted form of hos name, at kent.ac.uk,
will probably get to him (unlike me, he has emeritus status and should
have retained the email address after the Great Email Fiasco at Kent).

These days, Peter is working on nickel delay lines for things such as the
EDSAC replica.
--
Using UNIX since v6 (1975)...

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

computers / alt.folklore.computers / Re: “Coloured Book” Protocols