From: HenHanna@devnull.tb (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: sci.lang,alt.usage.english,rec.puzzles,comp.fonts
Subject: ALL-CAPITALS in Cartoon babbles, US military, City, County, Municipal
Code Signs
Date: Sun, 5 May 2024 10:55:49 -0700
 by: HenHanna - Sun, 5 May 2024 17:55 UTC

for 30+ years ...

i've often wondered about ubiquitous use of
ALL-CAPITALS in USA Cartoon babbles, and
ALL-CAPITALS in US military: CAUTION/WARNING SIGNS on weapons, etc.

and in City, County, Municipal Code Signs:

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/81cS+tI76KL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

https://esignsunlimited.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/IMG_8684.jpg

On 5/5/2024 2:16 AM, Aidan Kehoe wrote:

> Ar an cúigiú lá de mí Bealtaine, scríobh Athel Cornish-Bowden:
>

> > Today there was a headline that read "XI EN FRANCE". What on
earth does that
> > mean, I thought? A football team, maybe? Then I realized that it
was a
> > reference to Eleven Jinpin, the leader of China. It would have
been so much
> > easier to understand at a glance if they had written "Xi en
France". The French
> > have yet to learn that mixed-case is much easier to read than
all-capitals
> > (especially on road signs, which have had mixed case in the UK
for at least 40
> > years). Road signs are better in neighbouring Spain, Belgium,
Switzerland and
> > Germany, a bit half-hearted in Italy and Luxemburg, and like
France in Andorra
> > and Monaco.
> >
> > The point of this post is to ask why people don't write things in as
> > understandable a way as possible.
>

> You know this, but in this case the unsatisfying answer is that it’s
likely the
> house style to put titles in capitals, deviation is not tolerated.
Has this
> publication been dragged forwards into the late 20th century enough
to use
> accents with its capitals?
>
> (Cross-posted to sci.lang given not hugely relevant to
alt.usage.english.)

> > Navi won't agree, as he tries to pack as much
> > meaning as possible in as few words as possible, but I hope
others will.

> > --
> > ATHEL -- FRENCH AND BRITISH, LIVING IN MARSEILLES FOR XXXVII
YEARS; MAINLY IN
> > ENGLAND UNTIL MCMLXXXVII.

Re: ALL-CAPITALS in Cartoon babbles, US military, City, County, Municipal Code Signs

<v18hku$1vr2v$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=2601&group=rec.puzzles#2601

From: HenHanna@devnull.tb (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: sci.lang,alt.usage.english,rec.puzzles,comp.fonts
Subject: Re: ALL-CAPITALS in Cartoon babbles, US military, City, County,
Municipal Code Signs
Date: Sun, 5 May 2024 11:03:09 -0700
 by: HenHanna - Sun, 5 May 2024 18:03 UTC

in Cartoon, (the babblings in) bubbles

The signs in ALL-CAPITALS have made me wonder...
is it because ... For semi-literate American persons,
[i can read only CAPITAL LETTERS] has been a valid legal
defense in the (civil and criminal) courts?

https://www.psexpress.ca/mobile/assets/images/autogen/1cp105-immediate-customer-parking-sign-with-time-limit-and-toronto-municipal-code-915-made-by-all-signs-co.jpg

On 5/5/2024 10:55 AM, HenHanna wrote:

> for 30+ years ...
>
> i've often wondered about ubiquitous use of
> ALL-CAPITALS in USA Cartoon babbles, and
> ALL-CAPITALS in US military:  CAUTION/WARNING SIGNS on weapons, etc.
>
>               and in   City, County, Municipal Code Signs:
>
> https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/81cS+tI76KL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
>
> https://esignsunlimited.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/IMG_8684.jpg
>

> On 5/5/2024 2:16 AM, Aidan Kehoe wrote:
> >
> >   Ar an cúigiú lá de mí Bealtaine, scríobh Athel Cornish-Bowden:
> >

> >   > Today there was a headline that read "XI EN FRANCE". What on
> earth does that
> >   > mean, I thought? A football team, maybe? Then I realized that it
> was a
> >   > reference to Eleven Jinpin, the leader of China. It would have
> been so much
> >   > easier to understand at a glance if they had written "Xi en
> France". The French
> >   > have yet to learn that mixed-case is much easier to read than
> all-capitals
> >   > (especially on road signs, which have had mixed case in the UK
> for at least 40
> >   > years). Road signs are better in neighbouring Spain, Belgium,
> Switzerland and
> >   > Germany, a bit half-hearted in Italy and Luxemburg, and like
> France in Andorra
> >   > and Monaco.
> >   >
> >   > The point of this post is to ask why people don't write things in as
> >   > understandable a way as possible.
> >

> > You know this, but in this case the unsatisfying answer is that it’s
> likely the
> > house style to put titles in capitals, deviation is not tolerated.
> Has this
> > publication been dragged forwards into the late 20th century enough
> to use
> > accents with its capitals?
> >
> > (Cross-posted to sci.lang given not hugely relevant to
> alt.usage.english.)
> >
> >   > Navi won't agree, as he tries to pack as much
> >   > meaning as possible in as few words as possible, but I hope
> others will.
> >   >
> >   > --
> >   > ATHEL -- FRENCH AND BRITISH, LIVING IN MARSEILLES FOR XXXVII
> YEARS; MAINLY IN
> >   > ENGLAND UNTIL MCMLXXXVII.
> >   >

interests / rec.puzzles / ALL-CAPITALS in Cartoon babbles, US military, City, County, Municipal Code Signs