From: the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: View?????? Folders -- why?
Date: Thu, 2 May 2024 20:32:34 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Fri, 3 May 2024 03:32 UTC

I'm currently using Betterbird 115.9.0-bb26 on Windows 10 and 11. In
regard to my question below it behaves like Thunderbird.

I usually have View » Folders set to Favorites, though occasionally I
want to see all folders for one reason or another. But when I click
I still see all of my favorite folders, _then_ the list of all my
folders including the favorites.

Is there any way I can change this behavior to what would make sense
favorite folders in it.

it will show all folders. That's fine, a one-click solution to half
get a list of the Favorite folders _plus_ the list of all folders, so
I must also click All to remove the list of all folders.)

Out of curiosity, can anyone suggest why the present behavior is a
good thing? I find it annoying, since I have to scroll further to see
the non-favorite folders. Not a major annoyance, I grant, but still
suboptimal in my opinion.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: View?? Folders -- why?

<pq8s80ik6r84$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4512&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#4512

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: Re: View?????? Folders -- why?
Date: Fri, 3 May 2024 00:21:55 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Fri, 3 May 2024 05:21 UTC

Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> I'm currently using Betterbird 115.9.0-bb26 on Windows 10 and 11. In
> regard to my question below it behaves like Thunderbird.

I'm presuming Betterbird's GUI is similar to Thunderbird's.

> I usually have View » Folders set to Favorites, though occasionally I
> want to see all folders for one reason or another. But when I click
> I still see all of my favorite folders, _then_ the list of all my
> folders including the favorites.

I take it your "View -> Folders -> <option>" navpath is when using the
View menu in the top toolbar (aka menu bar). Have you tried clicking
the folder view select in the tree pane (aka Folder Pane toolbar atop
the tree pane), as shown in the 2nd pic in the following article?

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/switching-folder-pane-view

Re: View » Folders -- why?

<v130ak$k4ik$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4514&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#4514

From: billh@domain.is.invalid (Bill H)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 3 May 2024 08:36:52 -0700
 by: Bill H - Fri, 3 May 2024 15:36 UTC

On Friday, May 03, 2024, at 07:32 AM, Stan Brown wrote:

> The instruction in that article is "To enable the Folder Pane
> Toolbar, open the View menu, go to Toolbars, and select Folder Pane
> Toolbar."
>
> But there is no "Folder Pane Toolbar" under View » Folders, or
> anywhere else that I could find.

I think he meant "Folder Pane Header" rather than "Folder Pane Toolbar".

Bill

Re: View?? Folders -- why?

<MPG.409e9571bcd555489902d5@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=4515&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#4515

From: the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 3 May 2024 07:32:56 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Fri, 3 May 2024 14:32 UTC

On Fri, 3 May 2024 00:21:55 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:

> Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
> > I'm currently using Betterbird 115.9.0-bb26 on Windows 10 and 11. In
> > regard to my question below it behaves like Thunderbird.
>
> I'm presuming Betterbird's GUI is similar to Thunderbird's.
>
> > I usually have View » Folders set to Favorites, though occasionally I
> > want to see all folders for one reason or another. But when I click
> > I still see all of my favorite folders, _then_ the list of all my
> > folders including the favorites.
>
> I take it your "View -> Folders -> <option>" navpath is when using the
> View menu in the top toolbar (aka menu bar). Have you tried clicking
> the folder view select in the tree pane (aka Folder Pane toolbar atop
> the tree pane), as shown in the 2nd pic in the following article?
>
> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/switching-folder-pane-view

The instruction in that article is "To enable the Folder Pane
Toolbar, open the View menu, go to Toolbars, and select Folder Pane
Toolbar."

But there is no "Folder Pane Toolbar" under View » Folders, or
anywhere else that I could find. Does _your_ Thunderbird look like
the second picture? In particular, do you have an Inbox tab? I've
never seen anything like that.

Betterbird is a fork of Thunderbird, as you probably know, but AFAIK
it works the same with respect to folder views.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: View ? Folders -- why?

<MPG.40a0530ed62165779902d6@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5262&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#5262

From: the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Sat, 4 May 2024 15:14:16 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Sat, 4 May 2024 22:14 UTC

On Fri, 3 May 2024 08:36:52 -0700, Bill H wrote:

> On Friday, May 03, 2024, at 07:32 AM, Stan Brown wrote:
>
> > The instruction in that article is "To enable the Folder Pane
> > Toolbar, open the View menu, go to Toolbars, and select Folder Pane
> > Toolbar."
> >
> > But there is no "Folder Pane Toolbar" under View » Folders, or
> > anywhere else that I could find.
>
> I think he meant "Folder Pane Header" rather than "Folder Pane Toolbar".

Could be, but then there's the screen shot in the article Vanguard
cited. It even had a widget in it to select a Thunderbird version,
and I had 115 selected, but it didn't look like anything I've ever
seen.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: View » Folders -- why?

<v16fbp$1ele5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5263&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#5263

From: billh@domain.is.invalid (Bill H)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Sat, 4 May 2024 16:11:53 -0700
 by: Bill H - Sat, 4 May 2024 23:11 UTC

On Saturday, May 04, 2024, at 03:14 PM, Stan Brown wrote:

> On Fri, 3 May 2024 08:36:52 -0700, Bill H wrote:
>>
>> On Friday, May 03, 2024, at 07:32 AM, Stan Brown wrote:
>>
>> > The instruction in that article is "To enable the Folder Pane
>> > Toolbar, open the View menu, go to Toolbars, and select Folder Pane
>> > Toolbar."
>> >
>> > But there is no "Folder Pane Toolbar" under View » Folders, or
>> > anywhere else that I could find.
>>
>> I think he meant "Folder Pane Header" rather than "Folder Pane Toolbar".
>
> Could be, but then there's the screen shot in the article Vanguard
> cited. It even had a widget in it to select a Thunderbird version,
> and I had 115 selected, but it didn't look like anything I've ever
> seen.

I think that folder pane switching like that was in an old release of
TB. I don't remember seeing it. There is a plugin
https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/addon/folder-pane-view-switcher/
which adds something similar.

Bill

Re: View ? Folders -- why?

<MPG.40a1387470ae8a1f9902d7@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=5288&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#5288

From: the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Sun, 5 May 2024 07:32:53 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Sun, 5 May 2024 14:32 UTC

On Sat, 4 May 2024 16:11:53 -0700, Bill H wrote:

> On Saturday, May 04, 2024, at 03:14 PM, Stan Brown wrote:

> >> I think he meant "Folder Pane Header" rather than "Folder Pane Toolbar".
> >
> > Could be, but then there's the screen shot in the article Vanguard
> > cited. It even had a widget in it to select a Thunderbird version,
> > and I had 115 selected, but it didn't look like anything I've ever
> > seen.
> >

> I think that folder pane switching like that was in an old release of
> TB. I don't remember seeing it. There is a plugin
> https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/addon/folder-pane-view-switcher/
> which adds something similar.

Thanks, Bill. When I see Jon Kamens's name on an add-in, I know it
can be trusted. I've installed it, configured for the only two
"Arrows" views to be All and Favorites, and I have what I was looking
for.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

computers / alt.comp.software.thunderbird / View?? Folders -- why?