From: wibble@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Migrating from old to new W10 laptop - free utility?
Date: 29 Jul 2023 12:09:43 GMT
 by: David - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 12:09 UTC

The last time I migrated old to new Microsoft had bulk licensed LapLink.
You just installed it on old and new systems, plugged then into the same
network, and pressed "Go".

This no longer seems to be the case, and LapLink want a $60 license fee.

Is there anything free (or cheaper) that can do as good a job?

[Alternatively, if you cloned the old system to the new one would it sort
itself out?]

Cheers

Dave R

--
AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 10 x64

Re: Migrating from old to new W10 laptop - free utility?

<ua6jut$3144r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3591&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3591

From: zapbot@truely.invalid (GlowingBlueMist)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2023 16:16:11 -0500
 by: GlowingBlueMist - Sun, 30 Jul 2023 21:16 UTC

On 7/29/2023 7:09 AM, David wrote:
> The last time I migrated old to new Microsoft had bulk licensed LapLink.
> You just installed it on old and new systems, plugged then into the same
> network, and pressed "Go".
>
> This no longer seems to be the case, and LapLink want a $60 license fee.
>
> Is there anything free (or cheaper) that can do as good a job?
>
> [Alternatively, if you cloned the old system to the new one would it sort
> itself out?]
>
> Cheers
>

> Dave R

Here is one program (CloneApp)that transfers programs and their settings
from one pc to another. I've not used it myself.

https://alternativeto.net/software/cloneapp/about/

As I understand it you install Windows in the new machine and then you
can transfer programs from the old to the new.

Re: Migrating from old to new W10 laptop - free utility?

<ua6q0k$31jnb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3592&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3592

From: Pancho.Jones@proton.me (Pancho)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2023 23:59:15 +0100
 by: Pancho - Sun, 30 Jul 2023 22:59 UTC

On 29/07/2023 13:09, David wrote:
> The last time I migrated old to new Microsoft had bulk licensed LapLink.
> You just installed it on old and new systems, plugged then into the same
> network, and pressed "Go".
>
> This no longer seems to be the case, and LapLink want a $60 license fee.
>
> Is there anything free (or cheaper) that can do as good a job?
>
> [Alternatively, if you cloned the old system to the new one would it sort
> itself out?]

Yes. Should do.

aus+uk / uk.comp.homebuilt / Re: Migrating from old to new W10 laptop - free utility?